Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Half of those are already in FGO, and the other half is coming any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

grate deceiver posted:

Blame!, Biomega, Abara

Blame! gets less weird in certain ways as it goes on. I kind of miss the backgrounds from the start (e.g. the Giger-esque statues of guys holding steering wheels). Later on it just feels like endless metal corridors for the most part.

On the subject of Tsutomu Nihei, is Aposimz any good (and is the Knights of Sidonia anime cancelled? It basically just stops. Wondering if I should pickup the manga to finish the story).

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 6, 2020

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just read the Knights of Sidonia manga. I don't think they're making any more of the show. Also, the anime deviates some from the manga so start from the beginning. It's a great manga, have fun!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I Am Fowl posted:

Just read the Knights of Sidonia manga. I don't think they're making any more of the show. Also, the anime deviates some from the manga so start from the beginning. It's a great manga, have fun!

Agreed.

The anime is fun enough for a bit but gets meh and ends poorly

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I've read somewhere that there'll be a movie next year that's supposed to wrap up the ending for Sidonia.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Pulcinella posted:

On the subject of Tsutomu Nihei, is Aposimz any good (and is the Knights of Sidonia anime cancelled? It basically just stops. Wondering if I should pickup the manga to finish the story).
his art and storytelling have gotten worse over time, skip it (i've read 30 some chapters)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Relin posted:

his art and storytelling have gotten worse over time, skip it (i've read 30 some chapters)

That is so disappointing to hear, given how much I loved Sidonia.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

That is so disappointing to hear, given how much I loved Sidonia.

From what I have read in interviews and such, it was actually a deliberate decision by the author. Tsutomu Nihei felt like the more generic elements of Sidonia led to more recognition/sales than his previous works, so he doubled down on that.

There's still traces of the good ol' scifi body horror, but it's still a lot more generic than before, with an added awkwardness about it. Like, all the typical storytelling devices are used in a compressed and understated manner, as if they don't really understand them. It's weird and disheartening.

No idea why the art is so much more poo poo. Maybe because the author is trying to go with mass production this time?

tl;dr: no recommendation. :(

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

drat that sucks. I'm reminded when the author of Me and the Devil Blues, an amazing manga, didn't find success with that title and then made Prison School. It was like he was shouting at his audience "Is this what you fucks want? You want lowest common denominator? I'll give you lowest common denominator."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Or they just wanted to make a raunchy sex comedy. Wasn't my thing personally, but this narrative people tell themselves that Prison School was some grand effort to own the readers or selling out is annoying.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i think me and devil blues is considered the anomaly of hiramoto's oeuvre

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how can someone read prison school and not see it for the labor of love it is?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

how can someone read prison school and not see it for the labor of love it is?

The sort of person who prioritizes rear end over breasts.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
his new work is even worse than prison school too. that's his calling

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think you'll find that liking the blues and being horny as hell is actually a very common combination

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after RaW Hero, there is no reasonable way to pretend Prison School was a fluke

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Torquemadras posted:

From what I have read in interviews and such, it was actually a deliberate decision by the author. Tsutomu Nihei felt like the more generic elements of Sidonia led to more recognition/sales than his previous works, so he doubled down on that.

There's still traces of the good ol' scifi body horror, but it's still a lot more generic than before, with an added awkwardness about it. Like, all the typical storytelling devices are used in a compressed and understated manner, as if they don't really understand them. It's weird and disheartening.

No idea why the art is so much more poo poo. Maybe because the author is trying to go with mass production this time?

tl;dr: no recommendation. :(

Jeez. It was the weird elements that were often the best part; the transhumanism and the posthumanism combining to make an ultimately very human story. Plus me and every enby I know like it, in part because of the presence of Izana.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
nihei is obsolete. with hayashida q you get the cool visuals with much better character designs and a good plot you can actually follow. the pupil surpassed the master

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
GGWP. ~Young Ladies Don't Play Fighting Games~

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

nerdz posted:

nihei is obsolete. with hayashida q you get the cool visuals with much better character designs and a good plot you can actually follow. the pupil surpassed the master

The characters are distinct enough I know who is who which is a big plus

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

nerdz posted:

I really dunno about a plot you can follow but it's in a totally different way from nihei if that makes sense

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
I like Dai Dark and all but sometimes I just want to see twenty pages of silent shots of impossibly tall buildings, you know what I'm saying?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Sometimes you just get this mood where you want to ride an elevator for hundreds of years and that's ok

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

So here's a pretty neat comic that's a few chapters deep: Bibliomania

Girl named Alice wakes up in a room and is guided by a talking snake as she tries to leave the manor before her body rots. Really interesting, creative visuals and paneling. Sort of feels like one of those really arty ~graphic novels~ releases from darkhorse or some poo poo, but I can't seem to find any info on it being published in english, so i assume it's being scanlated.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

En Family Mook posted:

So here's a pretty neat comic that's a few chapters deep: Bibliomania

Girl named Alice wakes up in a room and is guided by a talking snake as she tries to leave the manor before her body rots. Really interesting, creative visuals and paneling. Sort of feels like one of those really arty ~graphic novels~ releases from darkhorse or some poo poo, but I can't seem to find any info on it being published in english, so i assume it's being scanlated.

Trapped in a sort of purgatory, I like it.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
pretty promising start on this old fashioned adventure from Mizukami Satoshi (Spirit Circle, Biscuit Hammer)

https://mangadex.org/title/44673

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Vesi posted:

pretty promising start on this old fashioned adventure from Mizukami Satoshi (Spirit Circle, Biscuit Hammer)

https://mangadex.org/title/44673

Seconding this. Unfortunately it's a quarterly manga, so I'm always forgetting what happened the previous chapter :sigh:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Half of those are already in FGO, and the other half is coming any day now.
You weren't kidding: it's 15 out of 32. On top of that, all three "witches" from the first chapter have already been introduced into the game.

As for the manga itself, I do love myself some Shuumatsu, so I'm very interested in what insane and surprising places this series will go.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie

A chapter with some IMPACT.

I still feel like Shiva is going to win even with only one arm left.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie

I want to believe it's over now, but he still has 3 more forbidden moves. So who knows. I love this fight manga.

Lol at those arms flying straight off

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Speaking of Shuumatsu...

Majo Taisen - The War of the Greedy Witches

The Kakegurui author has a new series, and it's Shuumatsu of famous women. I'm looking forward to it.

Witch Tournament Chapter 2

Elizabeth Bathory vs. Tomoe Gozen complete with magical girl transformations.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 4, 2020

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ccs posted:

drat that sucks. I'm reminded when the author of Me and the Devil Blues, an amazing manga, didn't find success with that title and then made Prison School. It was like he was shouting at his audience "Is this what you fucks want? You want lowest common denominator? I'll give you lowest common denominator."

Prison school was way better.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Been reading this and you missed the best part of her victory rant. Also, this desperately needs an Anime when there's enough chapters for it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie

That build-up to Raiden's palm strike got me smiling like a fool. This manga really knows how to build up hype.

Hypocrisy posted:

Witch Tournament Chapter 2

Elizabeth Bathory vs. Tomoe Gozen complete with magical girl transformations.
Oh gently caress, we got tearing out fingernails right off the bat. :gonk:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I guess it goes here because it's running in Morning so:

Eiichi Shimizu and Tomohiro Shimoguchi (Ultraman, Linebarrels of Iron, Getter Robo Devolution) are doing a Batman manga starting Christmas eve

It's called Batman: Justice Buster

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Misread that as justice butler and was hoping it would be an alfred series

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Another incredibly tense chapter of Kiichi!!. Everyone needs to be reading this

https://mangadex.org/title/7123/kiichi

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I was reading and enjoying that until the translation was stopped. Time to pick it up again.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just finished Grappler Baki and holy poo poo

i take it i can just read whatever sequel prequel what have you now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's a definite order but it's fairly confusing since many of them have similar names and multiple slightly different names:

1) https://mangadex.org/title/2434/grappler-baki
2) https://mangadex.org/title/2432/baki
3) https://mangadex.org/title/2974/hanma-baki
4) https://mangadex.org/title/11920/baki-dou
5) https://mangadex.org/title/30907/baki-dou-2018

And of course there are side stories that generally have "gaiden" in the name.