Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

I just realized ENT re-used this idea, right down to the ship's doctor and "sex-appeal" character being the two left running the ship. Only with a kind-of-great twist that it was only the doctor the whole time.

I actually prefer ENT’s take on it, weirdly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

this is a canon scene

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gWiumd2zCA

why is this

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

HD DAD posted:

I actually prefer ENT’s take on it, weirdly enough.

I liked Voyager's. It was a fun child-friendly take on The Shining.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the name of the Voyager episode? I don't remember it too well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oxyclean posted:

What's the name of the Voyager episode? I don't remember it too well.
It’s called ‘One’

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/stobiesgalaxy/status/1325850515171930114

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/MUXX0mg.mp4

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

2nd and 3rd episodes of vger weren't great. iirc the 2nd one was the last we ever hear of any conflict between the maquis and starfleet crew. It's so loving dumb that there was literally zero issue with them all putting on starfleet uniforms and obeying orders. 3rd episode had an alien clock that uses Arabic numerals. I already hate Neelix, he's just completely useless and obnoxious.

Honestly this is just making me want to rewatch DS9.

Yeah, probably the most frustrating thing about Voyager for me is they just throw away the entire half-Starfleet, half-maquis crew thing incredibly quickly. There's an episode (think it's the one with Aaron Eisenberg) where Chakotay goes on and on about his pride in the Federation uniform, and it's like the writer's room had a collective stroke and forgot that he was Maquis for years.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Welp, every DS9 rewatch must include "Meridian". I will say it's definitely better than "Melora" where the guest character was actively annoying. And hey, Jeffrey Combs.

Lower Decks will be totally worthwhile in my eyes if they do an episode called "Quarkra" where the hologram of Kira's body with Quark's head becomes sentient and demands to live

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'm finally getting used to 60s TV pacing and I'm able to watch TOS if I'm doing it while I'm doing something else (usually housework) so I'm beginning to watch more than 1 or 2 episodes a month.

Anyway boy was I uncomfortable with the implied mutual attraction between Kirk and the prepubescent girl, and I was even more uncomfortable that they kept repeating it and turning it into a major plot point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

curiousTerminal posted:

I'm finally getting used to 60s TV pacing and I'm able to watch TOS if I'm doing it while I'm doing something else (usually housework) so I'm beginning to watch more than 1 or 2 episodes a month.

Anyway boy was I uncomfortable with the implied mutual attraction between Kirk and the prepubescent girl, and I was even more uncomfortable that they kept repeating it and turning it into a major plot point.

Miri? Yeah, it’s easily one of TOS’s worst episodes and thankfully that writer never did another episode.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing I'm noticing right away in my Voyager rewatch is how good the actors are compared to the material they have to work with. Kate Mulgrew and Robert Picardo are fantastic, but like 3/4 of their lines are :techno:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Miri? Yeah, it’s easily one of TOS’s worst episodes and thankfully that writer never did another episode.
'Miri' was one of the four TOS episodes the BBC banned for decades for various reasons, so they built up a lot of mystique and expectation. Then they were finally broadcast in the 90s, and... yeah. :smith:

(The others were 'The Empath', 'Whom Gods Destroy' and 'Plato's Stepchildren'. What a bunch.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I'm noticing right away in my Voyager rewatch is how good the actors are compared to the material they have to work with. Kate Mulgrew and Robert Picardo are fantastic, but like 3/4 of their lines are :techno:

Oh I've said a bunch of times that Voyager was 100% saved by the sheer charisma and force of personality provided by Mulgrew, as restrained as she was by the script and direction.

Obviously there other other equally great actors like Picardo in there but without someone like Mulgrew as captain the series would have... well, Archer.

And yeah, the babble is just horrible. I linked the Ron Moore interview about his disastrous brief stint on Voyager post-DS9 recently, he certainly touches on that.

quote:

Moore asks, “How many space anomalies of the week can you really stomach? How many time paradoxes can you do? When I was studying the show, getting ready to work on it, I was watching the episodes, and the technobabble was just enervating; it was just soul sapping. Vast chunks of scenes would go by, and I had no idea what was going on. I write this stuff; I live this stuff. I do know the difference between the shields and the deflectors, and the ODN conduits and plasma tubes. If I can’t tell what’s going on, I know the audience has no idea what’s going on. Everyone will say the same thing. From the top down, you bring up this point, and everybody will say, ‘I am the biggest opponent of techno-babble. I hate technobabble. I am the one who is always saying, less technobabble.’ They all say that. None of them do it. I’ve always felt that you never impress the audience. The audience doesn’t sit there and go, ‘God drat, they know science. That is really cool. Look how they figured that out. Hey Edna! Come here. You want to see how Chakotay is going to figure this out. He’s onto this thing with the quantum tech particles; it’s really interesting. I don’t know how he is going to do it, but he is going to reroute something. Oh my God, he found the anti-protons!’ Who cares? Nobody watches Star Trek for those scenes. The actors hate those scenes; the directors hate those scenes; and the writers hate those scenes. But it’s the easiest card to go to. It’s a lot easier to tech your way out of a situation than to really think your way out of a situation, or make it dramatic, or make the characters go through some kind of decision or crisis. It’s a lot easier if you can just plant one of them at a console and start banging on the thing, and flash some Okudagrams, and then come up with the magic solution that is going to make all this week’s problems go away.”

Moore ran straight into these problems when he started working on Voyager. While writing notes on drafts of the scripts, as is customary, he was immediately being assaulted by techno-babble. He says, “When we were working on ‘Equinox Part II,’ I remember the pages coming in, and I would take notes, and send the notes back. There were just pages of it that I have no idea what’s going on. It was just page after page of, ‘Reroute the so-and-so, and engage the blankety-such, and the subspace dewop is doing its other thing.’ Just pages would go by, and in reading the script I’m flipping through it to find something of substance. It just fell on deaf ears. To be honest I haven’t even sat down and watched ‘Survival Instinct’ or ‘Barge of the Dead.’ I have them; I just haven’t watched them. They sent me the final drafts of the scripts, and I glanced through the script of ‘Survival Instinct,’ and I knew that they had done some extra shooting after the show was over. The show was a little short, so they had to add some pages, which was nothing unusual. But they added the pages with all this techno-crap in sickbay! I hate it so much. It is so off-putting. It doesn’t add anything to the drama.”

It seems like it's just a consequence of them lazily giving up on writing: technobabble would be used as a) a way to just wrap things up without having to bother, and b) extending episodes that fell short. With nobody giving the slightest gently caress in the Voyager writing room as the show plodded on and everyone was just sapped, it just happened more and more. They all knew that Trek had been shoved into such a safe formulaic slot that nobody was allowed to do the slightest bit of experimentation or write anything remotely interesting, so they all just clocked in, churned out a quarter of an episode, wrote [tech] in the rest, and went home.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 10, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Voyager really dodge a bullet when Geneviève Bujold quit after a day of shooting the pilot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Angry Salami posted:

Voyager really dodge a bullet when Geneviève Bujold quit after a day of shooting the pilot.
Yeah I’ve seen the footage she shot and that would never have worked

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Brawnfire posted:

"Here on the Enterprise, we're going to treat you like any other member of the crew."
"Thank you, Captain. Just so you know, there are three remote hacking attempts currently against my positronic brain, someone deleted vital memories and replaced them with an override switch to a kill mode, I can snap apart any of your bones with the merest engagement of my servos, and my optical sensors detect your rising fear."
"Well... excellent."

It seems kinda bullshit to me that Data gets picked on by some fans for getting hacked, when other crew members have been possessed or mind-controlled as well.

Still stand by my joke that if you beached everyone who ever gets their mind fiddled with, you'd be unable to crew half the fleet within a year.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Apropos of nothing, I love the super-vivid colours on the planet in 'That Which Survives'. Bright lilac daylight sky, turning to magenta and purple as night falls, with blue and violet rocks encrusted with rainbow gemstones. There's no pretense at "realism", and it's great.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It seems kinda bullshit to me that Data gets picked on by some fans for getting hacked, when other crew members have been possessed or mind-controlled as well.

Still stand by my joke that if you beached everyone who ever gets their mind fiddled with, you'd be unable to crew half the fleet within a year.

Makes you wonder if Deanna and Ezri ever gave out pamphlets like "So You've Been Possessed by an Energy Being" to their patients.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Makes you wonder if Deanna and Ezri ever gave out pamphlets like "So You've Been Possessed by an Energy Being" to their patients.

Lower Decks just writes itself sometimes, doesn't it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Astroman posted:

Lower Decks just writes itself sometimes, doesn't it?

Beverly Crusher loving a candle ghost is apparently public knowledge. Of course Starfleet Councilors would have pamphlets on all that poo poo.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sir Lemming posted:

I still have my fingers crossed that by the time we get to that, things will be going slightly better :pray:

Well we finally did get to "Past Tense" and uh, sort of? :shobon:

Edit: more about that, it still holds up, as I think we all know. They really managed not to embarrass themselves with bad predictions about 2024; pretty much everything looks legit except the big computer terminals. (But they did play ads!) They did do the usual future-slang thing which never seems to work out convincingly (Dims, Gimmes, Ghosts). If anything dulls its impact, it's the fact that it's basically too real -- there's not much that's really surprising about the state of the world they're portraying.

Also "Fascination" was before this and I can't remember if I used to like it, but I was all for it this time. This was campy fun done right. Some really good cinematography choices too. I especially like the shot where Sisko is talking to someone while Dax, behind him and visible only as arms, is feeling him up.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 11, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

Mulgrew is great so glad the change happened, but in the timeline where Bujold hung on for longer they might have killed off Janeway at some point, which could have put Voyager on a very different path where they weren't so attached to keeping the status quo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Mulgrew is great so glad the change happened, but in the timeline where Bujold hung on for longer they might have killed off Janeway at some point, which could have put Voyager on a very different path where they weren't so attached to keeping the status quo.

The way Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan McNeil explain it adds some interest context to Bujold's departure. She was promised a certain degree of physical freedom in the way she could portray Janeway, namely that she could wear her hair in her normal style without having to go through wardrobe or altering it in any way. On her first day on set, the wardrobe department started doing her hair into Janeway's iconic up-do and she was like "what the hell?", and went to Berman and was like "hey, you made all these promises when I got hired" and Berman was basically like "Yeah, I lied. gently caress off screen monkey."

The next three days of shooting saw a bunch more little sleights real or perceived that added up to a breaking point and when they called cut on one scene she just walked off set and never came back.

The casting directors then had to scramble to find a new Janeway because they'd auditioned basically every actress in Hollywood in the age range specified on the casting sheet and were so desperate that they flirted with auditioning male actors instead to play Janeway before they found Mulgrew.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also one of the reasons Beltran joined the cast was because he was super enthusiastic about being able to work with Bujold. :shrug:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm still glad we got Mulgrew for Janeway, if only the writers had intentionally leaned into making Janeway go slowly insane over the series rather than it being accidentally implied.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm glad Beltran did that AMA a while back where he said that the degree he hated Voyager has been overblown and that it was more like 50/50 great memories and complaining about how bad the scripts were. I'd hate to think that he really was just drawing a paycheck and hating his job all those years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

nine-gear crow posted:

The way Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan McNeil explain it adds some interest context to Bujold's departure. She was promised a certain degree of physical freedom in the way she could portray Janeway, namely that she could wear her hair in her normal style without having to go through wardrobe or altering it in any way. On her first day on set, the wardrobe department started doing her hair into Janeway's iconic up-do and she was like "what the hell?", and went to Berman and was like "hey, you made all these promises when I got hired" and Berman was basically like "Yeah, I lied. gently caress off screen monkey."

The next three days of shooting saw a bunch more little sleights real or perceived that added up to a breaking point and when they called cut on one scene she just walked off set and never came back.

Huh, I wonder if some of that was intentional to get her to walk. The little video we have of Bujold in the part she is absolutely struggling with the dialogue, and it makes me think that they basically pushed her into leaving so it wasn't them breaking contract.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIZcDWKyw0

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I'm glad Beltran did that AMA a while back where he said that the degree he hated Voyager has been overblown and that it was more like 50/50 great memories and complaining about how bad the scripts were. I'd hate to think that he really was just drawing a paycheck and hating his job all those years.

I mean it definitely seems like lovely scripts aside, the cast mostly all really got along and just had fun hanging out with each other.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I mean it definitely seems like lovely scripts aside, the cast mostly all really got along and just had fun hanging out with each other.

The only cast tensions that I'd heard about was there was some passive aggressive friction between Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan for a while because the stress of Voyager's sometimes 14-20 hour work days was putting strain on Mulgrew's home life and Seven of Nine's addition to the show didn't sit well with her for various reasons. I think they've since patched things up though. Wasn't there a big Voyager cast reunion thing recently? I know they did Star Trek Day and the Joe Biden thing, but I'm thinking of something else maybe.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, I wonder if some of that was intentional to get her to walk. The little video we have of Bujold in the part she is absolutely struggling with the dialogue, and it makes me think that they basically pushed her into leaving so it wasn't them breaking contract.

Until you see someone do it so badly, you don't realise how much effort all the actors put into making nonsense technobabble sound like it means something.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The only cast tensions that I'd heard about was there was some passive aggressive friction between Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan for a while because the stress of Voyager's sometimes 14-20 hour work days was putting strain on Mulgrew's home life and Seven of Nine's addition to the show didn't sit well with her for various reasons. I think they've since patched things up though. Wasn't there a big Voyager cast reunion thing recently? I know they did Star Trek Day and the Joe Biden thing, but I'm thinking of something else maybe.

It's covered in the 50 year mission books. Mulgrew felt that after finally having a female captain it felt like a step backwards to have "hot new alien girl stuck in a catsuit pushed to the front". Which wasn't Jeri Ryan's fault, of course. Mulgrew actually acknowledges where she was wrong in the book.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm glad Mulgrew became Janeway. That's one good thing they did with Voyager. I could listen to her all day.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
One of the best things about Voyager was its cast. Wang could be a little high school drama class, but everyone else could bring their A-game when the script called for it/they were allowed to.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Quantum duplicate Garrett Wang was hired right after his original was fired.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

It's notable how much smoother RDMcN is with the dialogue than the others in that scene. Obviously two of them are in it for half an episode, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
he was also a guest in tng playing the exact same character but with the name changed because his crime was 'too great for rehabilitation' as per the writing staff of voyager. literally, tom paris was supposed to be the guy that got that cadet killed with wesley

edit: has any star trek actor said after its all said and done that they actually liked doing the technobabble stuff