Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I got an EVGA 3090 from a retailer (a local computer shop, not a national chain) last week.

Like a MicroCenter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

AirRaid posted:

Yes, you should be okay. The only issue with daisy chaining a cable is if it's your only cable on a 2 plug card, because that's nearing the max it can push. Splitting the load over 2 cables is the thing, using 3 plugs on 2 cables shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the quick response - sounds like it should all Just Work :)

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

SourKraut posted:

Like a MicroCenter?

No.

Actually, I should post this here as a Hot Tip:

:siren: Bay Area Goons :siren:

Here's how I got my 3090:

A local computer shop, Central Computers (5 locations in the Bay), has implemented a waitlist to buy 30xx cards. I joined the list for a 3090 and received an email that I could buy my card only about 5 days after I signed up!

There's a big caveat though: To join the waitlist, you have to agree that you'll buy several core PC components alongside the card (basically, build a new PC). So, we're talking about CPU + Mobo + SSD + RAM, for example. If, like me, you're planning on building a whole new computer anyway then this is a good way to get a card. You get your choice of components and their selection is pretty good, you're not going to be forced to buy a bunch of trash or ultra high end (expensive) stuff. If you're motivated enough, there's nothing stopping you from buying the parts then ebaying everything but the GPU.

If you don't want to sign up for the waitlist Central Computers has also been having first-come-first-serve sales for the cards recently. I don't know many details, like if people are lining up hours before they open, because I didn't get my card that way but I know they're selling 'em.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 9, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SourKraut posted:

Like a MicroCenter?

The MicroCenter I stopped at last week had two of them sitting on a back room shelf (obviously already reserved). So they are getting out to stores, just in low single digits a week.

But yeah, it seems the majority of their cards are servicing their Notify Me waitlist.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

No.

A local computer shop, Central Computers (5 locations in the Bay), has implemented a waitlist to buy 30xx cards. I joined the list for a 3090 and received an email that I could buy my card only about 5 days after I signed up!

There's a big caveat though: To join the waitlist, you have to agree that you'll buy several core PC components alongside the card (basically, build a new PC). So, we're talking about CPU + Mobo + SSD + RAM, for example. If, like me, you're planning on building a whole new computer anyway then this is a good way to get a card. You get your choice of components and their selection is pretty good, you're not going to be forced to buy a bunch of trash or ultra high end (expensive) stuff. If you're motivated enough, there's nothing stopping you from buying the parts then ebaying everything but the GPU.

If you don't want to sign up for the waitlist Central Computers has also been having first-come-first-serve sales for the cards recently. I don't know many details, like if people are lining up hours before they open, because I didn't get my card that way but I know they're selling 'em.

SourKraut posted:

So are EVGA cards currently only available via EVGA, or are they also sending them to retailers? I've been on the fence on 3070 vs 3080, but if I could get a EVGA 3070, it'd be nice for the step-up option.

I was just about to say, at least local to the Bay Area, Central Computers has been selling a small selection of EVGA cards as recently as this past weekend. So even though it’s unlikely you’ll be lucky enough to get one, they do exist in the wild, in brick and mortar stores around here.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

DrDork posted:

The MicroCenter I stopped at last week had two of them sitting on a back room shelf (obviously already reserved). So they are getting out to stores, just in low single digits a week.

But yeah, it seems the majority of their cards are servicing their Notify Me waitlist.

The Microcenter near me has had a couple 30xx cards show up as limited selection in store in the early morning. And is usually gone shortly after opening. I am taking that to mean they have a single card of that type they got in stock, and they sell at opening.

I need to buy some stuff at Microcenter this week, so I plan on asking how they do stuff like that. Is there a line at opening, a waitlist, or are they just snagged for friends/family.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
My Dell MSI 3080 order, originally slated for an Oct 21 ship date, which then slipped to a Nov 11 delivery date, has now slipped to a Jan 6 delivery date.

I don't think these are ever going to actually arrive.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I swear I don't understand how some people are like "Oh guess I got lucky manually refreshing. I just purchased my fifth EVGA 3080. This one's for my cousin's dog :shrug:" and I can't seem to find anything but Zotac links and comedy Amazon listings.

I chatted with someone at Microcenter (they were in OH) and they said there are still generally queues at local stores in the mornings. They don't know beforehand when they'll arrive so you just have to sit there, wait, and hope. I'm fine refreshing websites, but I'm not going to sit outside a Microcenter for three hours on the off chance that they a) got cards in, and b) have enough for whatever number in line I am.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Yeah, it's a bit awkward. I have the top AIO as intake because I assumed the 3090 would dump hot air into the case and I didn't want to cool the CPU with preheated air.

Maybe I'm wrong though, I've only had the machine up and running for a couple days. I can try the AIO as exhaust and see if I get better results.

I don't think pushing air from the AIO to the physical location of the CPU is a huge deal for CPU temp specifically because there's not a lot of conductivity between the CPU and the air around it - after all, the AIO has a giant pump + heat transferrer on top of the CPU, if any air is touching the CPU's heat spreader than I've made a critical installation mistake!

I did largely choose the case for aesthetics. I think it looks great, so as long as I can get reasonable temperatures then I'll be happy. I'm not going to obsess over 10 degrees as long as I remain within safe temps.

But yeah, if you want the case with the absolute best airflow, probably don't get this one.

In a custom loop, and this might apply for you too, the generally accepted O11 fan configuration is bottom intake, side doesn't matter too much, and top exhaust. Might be worth going ahead and making that top AIO exhaust

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DrDork posted:

My Dell MSI 3080 order, originally slated for an Oct 21 ship date, which then slipped to a Nov 11 delivery date, has now slipped to a Jan 6 delivery date.

I don't think these are ever going to actually arrive.

Yeah mine was just delayed to January 21st.

What's that Discord again?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have seen a lot more Zotac 3090 stock dropping in the Discord, but I am sure as hell not dropping $1500 on a card

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Watching Ian Cuttress have to defend his take that the big anime tiddy GPUs were sexist was very funny this afternoon

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have seen a lot more Zotac 3090 stock dropping in the Discord, but I am sure as hell not dropping $1500 on a card

The 3080's have been dropping regularly, too. And if you're in the market for a 3090, the Zotac ones aren't a bad buy at $1500.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DrDork posted:

The 3080's have been dropping regularly, too. And if you're in the market for a 3090, the Zotac ones aren't a bad buy at $1500.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong, but every 3080 drop is still sold out in seconds from what I can see.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I... somehow just managed to grab one of those 3080 + PSU combos off Newegg?

What is this warm feeling growing in my chest

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DrDork posted:

The 3080's have been dropping regularly, too.
Lately I've seen more 3070s and 3090s

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cross-Section posted:

Don’t count Newegg until the order is in packaging or shipped. They cancel poo poo all the time.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t count Newegg until the order is in packaging or shipped. They cancel poo poo all the time.

:hehe:

fingers crossed that this actually fits in my NR200 build that I'm doing

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

No.

I'm interested in this - where do I sign up for the waitlist?

e: never mind, found it https://www.centralcomputer.com/nvidia-30-series-information

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

interrodactyl posted:

I'm interested in this - where do I sign up for the waitlist?

I think this is the relevant page: https://www.centralcomputer.com/nvidia-30-series-information

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was just about to say, at least local to the Bay Area, Central Computers has been selling a small selection of EVGA cards as recently as this past weekend. So even though it’s unlikely you’ll be lucky enough to get one, they do exist in the wild, in brick and mortar stores around here.

Thanks everyone; unfortunately I'm in Phoenix, and the options here are slim in terms of small shops with current-level inventory.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
It's me the guy posting his Timespy scores and BSOD issues from yesterday. My friend and I decided to swap 3080s to compare benchmarks and see if my Windows had errors with his card or his with mine.

He has the MSI Ventus 3x as well as a Ryzen 3600 and tested similarly on his rig, 16,685 graphics score. Also a little warm as his temp was 72C.

With his card in my rig I woke it up from sleep once without getting the BSOD. One thing to note that adds a variable is that new drivers came out today. He also woke up his PC with my card and got no error. We'll monitor that but maybe the driver fixed it?

I tested his with a fan curve that I used yesterday to get 16,832 at 65C with my card and got 17,115 at 63C with his. I also noticed that the percentile on the 3DMark results page is plain wrong. When filtered to CPU+GPU and a clock range, it said Bottom 1%, but my score was actually in position ~300 out of ~420 results. Still scored a few percent below average score, but better than last.

When I get my card back, as long as those BSODs are gone, I guess I'll just explore adding some fans to my 011 Dynamic. The 3 intake on bottom with the 3 exhaust on top sounds interesting. Without side fans, the case might look weird though since there's just a void there.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

It's me the guy posting his Timespy scores and BSOD issues from yesterday. My friend and I decided to swap 3080s to compare benchmarks and see if my Windows had errors with his card or his with mine.

He has the MSI Ventus 3x as well as a Ryzen 3600 and tested similarly on his rig, 16,685 graphics score. Also a little warm as his temp was 72C.

With his card in my rig I woke it up from sleep once without getting the BSOD. One thing to note that adds a variable is that new drivers came out today. He also woke up his PC with my card and got no error. We'll monitor that but maybe the driver fixed it?

I tested his with a fan curve that I used yesterday to get 16,832 at 65C with my card and got 17,115 at 63C with his. I also noticed that the percentile on the 3DMark results page is plain wrong. When filtered to CPU+GPU and a clock range, it said Bottom 1%, but my score was actually in position ~300 out of ~420 results. Still scored a few percent below average score, but better than last.

When I get my card back, as long as those BSODs are gone, I guess I'll just explore adding some fans to my 011 Dynamic. The 3 intake on bottom with the 3 exhaust on top sounds interesting. Without side fans, the case might look weird though since there's just a void there.

You could do six intakes and fully passive out the top with the top filter removed.

I definitely typically run with a more balanced fan approach but I’ve never been able to really try such a thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Had a Zotac 3080 in cart and their site crashed

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Had a Zotac 3080 in cart and their site crashed

Never use their site other than to put an item into the cart. Then use Paypal: https://store.zotac.com/paypal/express/start/

If you still have it in your cart when it goes OOS, leave it there. Next time it rolls around it'll still be in your cart and you can skip that step entirely.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bloody hell. I guess I just had to complain hard enough. Tonight has been replete with drops, and I (maybe) just got an order through for a Gigabyte AORUS 3080 from NewEgg. It was about $150 more than I was hoping to spend, but at this point I’ll take it.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Drops all night, not a drop on Amazon though. Starting to regret my gift card purchase, but I can be patient.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have been so close tonight. Got a 3080 card into my cart multiple times, but just couldn’t check out fast enough. Most recently got everything set up for Newegg and Paypal, but just seems to take a few seconds too long.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Random but does anyone know if a COD Cold War code will redeem with a 3070 or no?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

:ok:

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Can someone link the discord(s) please?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Canna Happy posted:

Can someone link the discord(s) please?

Here's one for Stockdrops

https://discord.gg/stockdrops

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Orvin posted:

I have been so close tonight. Got a 3080 card into my cart multiple times, but just couldn’t check out fast enough. Most recently got everything set up for Newegg and Paypal, but just seems to take a few seconds too long.
Yeah I’ve gotten close and there were a lot of drops tonight, but no dice

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Sorry for the stupid/ignorant question, but as a non-Discord user, do I simply sit in the #general-na, or how does it notify me?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Sorry for the stupid/ignorant question, but as a non-Discord user, do I simply sit in the #general-na, or how does it notify me?

For Stockdrops, go to #alerts-signup and click the corresponding emote below whatever you want to be notified about. You'll get added to the member list for those items. That said, I don't see the US 3XXX stock listed in that channel, but perhaps new members see it?

edit: Also, be sure to go into Privacy Settings > Allow DM's from server members and turn that off.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
These have mostly been posted in the thread but I think my watch is over so I'll be posting what I used that finally worked.

https://discord.gg/BhQ56tr2 ATR-STONKS, aka 'the tu madre discord' This discord actually got me my card. It has way more notifications than both of the other discords combined.

https://github.com/jef/streetmerchant#supported-stores This is the bot (nvidia-snatcher was too narrow, so it renamed I suppose?) It opens links to cards buy pages from various sites. I did get hits on this (stop it, do a git pull, npm install, then actually run it, at least once a week!!!)

here are two other discords, stockdrops and snail monitor, not as good as ATR-STONKS:
https://discord.gg/5qb4mMBk
https://discord.gg/nEsYAsju

You need to set up roles for all of them, the bots and the discords (read the instructions, they're good) to say what cards you want, and for the bot you can be way more specific like setting sites/models/brands/max price etc.

Make sure sound is on, on your computer, and that you mute everything on discord apart from the channels. Be prepared for disappointment! I probably got about 100 card notifications before I got a card.

Cross-Section posted:

Yep I got one like that (motherboard combo) on Saturday and my shipping notification from the actual delivery company has been updated. I had to enter a code to log into newegg and had already linked it to paypal, where I also logged in. So it wasn't instant but I was done within about 30 seconds from when the link posted.

SourKraut posted:

So are EVGA cards currently only available via EVGA, or are they also sending them to retailers? I've been on the fence on 3070 vs 3080, but if I could get a EVGA 3070, it'd be nice for the step-up option.

I was in their queue too but I got my EVGA (XC3 ULTRA GAMING )from Newegg on Saturday. I will apparently have it tomorrow. If it works, I'll then get off evga's queue and add to the discord's success list.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Bullsh1t_buster/status/1325829616573935616?s=20

Here's some good news.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Anyone have any experience with the Chicago Microcenter?

Specifically interested in if they have any 3070s ever, or if we are still firmly in "line up at the door hours before opening" territory.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Crunchy Black posted:

Watching Ian Cuttress have to defend his take that the big anime tiddy GPUs were sexist was very funny this afternoon

Loli/anime avatars assemble. Someone's discriminating against big anime titties and that will not stand.

also
lol someone begged Gamers Nexus to buy one and Steve replied "Not going anywhere near that. Disgusting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Got a 3070 FE over the weekend to replace a 1070. Ryzen 3600 cpu and using an LG C9 as screen. Managed to get one fairly easily from Scan in the UK by just refreshing occasionally. Had a Zotac one on preorder (now cancelled) before I found the FE in stock.

Had to buy a new HDMI 48gbps cable, unsurprisingly the cable I bought a year ago, which claimed to support 4k120, did not actually work. Also had to manually update the tv firmware over usb using a download form the LG website. Went for a Cable Matters 2m cable from Amazon, £18 ish for a 3-pack.

Once that stuff was sorted, 4k120 g-sync seems to be working great. I had read on forums about a lot of fiddling with settings and resetting things being needed, but just worked for me.

Obviously won’t actually get 4k120hz at top settings in AAA games but it’s nice to have the options of lowering settings/res or just using g-sync to keep it smooth at lower FPS, and then letting more basic games go all the way.