Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It could absolutely be a bug, but it may also be related to how the ghost responds (alone/everyone). This will absolutely be a factor in how the spirit box will work across different contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Still, the spirit box should always at least display "nothing detected" if you ask something valid into it, right?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
In my experience, no. You'll get "nothing detected" when the conditions are correct, but you're not close enough to the ghost's territory and/or it's not a ghost that speaks through the spirit box. If conditions are not correct, you won't even get the box to display "nothing detected."

edit: I try to be a little cryptic with my responses since having imperfect information is a big part of the fun in the game, but conditions being: if the ghost only responds to people who are alone, until you isolate yourself from the group, you won't even get "nothing detected." Same with responds to everyone, you need to have a majority of people in the same room with the spirit box. Once you've met that condition you'll start getting "nothing detected" and/or actual responses. "Nothing detected" means you're having your chatter registered properly, but you're either a) not close enough to the ghost, or b) dealing with a ghost that doesn't use the spirit box.

Also note that the box doesn't work in the ghost's room/territory, it works off the ghost itself. I've carried the spirit box while being chased really far in the high school and gotten responses waaayyy far away from the ghost's spawn point.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 5, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

In my experience, no. You'll get "nothing detected" when the conditions are correct, but you're not close enough to the ghost's territory and/or it's not a ghost that speaks through the spirit box. If conditions are not correct, you won't even get the box to display "nothing detected."

No, Goodguy is correct, the spirit box should always give you either a response from the ghost or "nothing detected" regardless of where you are in relation to the ghost or whether the spirit box is valid evidence for that ghost type. If you don't get a response or "nothing detected" it means there's an issue with your mic/voice recognition/the game.

I think with the newest patch this changed slightly so that as long as your voice recognition is working, you do have to ask a valid questions or the box won't respond. If you're asking valid questions and the box isn't responding, then it's a technical issue. If your voice recognition isn't working and you try to use the box, it doesn't require you to ask a valid question, I think it just triggers off of sound level on the mic, but you should still always get a response or "nothing detected."

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

To expand on what Goodguy posted, I was there with him and immediately asked a question at the box after he did and I got the "nothing detected." when I did.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I've also been having trouble with the spirit box not showing "Not detected" at seemingly random. Good to know that tabbing out is a likely cause. I'm not playing VR.

Had a couple memorable games last night. In the first, someone showed me how to glitch onto counters / safe spots using cabinet doors. We figured out the clues to our ghost and wanted to see the Revenant zoom around, so we grabbed the Ouija board and hopped up on the counter for a photoshoot and hangout with the ghost. In another game, a friend and I ended up in a team with two cocky guys who talked like the game was easy but then never actually went into the high school. We got tired of their act pretty quick, so we found the last clue (fingerprints on the door) then hid the UV flashlights and went to the other end of the school to bomb our sanity to 0. Sadly only one died before the other resigned himself to the van permanently.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
My favorite walky talky question is still just, "Hello"

Especially when the ghost then slams the door, appears, and starts walking at you.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bondematt posted:

My favorite walky talky question is still just, "Hello"

Especially when the ghost then slams the door, appears, and starts walking at you.

my favorite so far has been a blatent lie from the ghost. When asking how old it is I got back an "Old" response after clearly watching it manifest in one of the child forms.

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.
I had an incredibly chill ghost one time. He'd fiddle with the lights or move objects around in the room but never started any hunts. Our conversation over the spirit box went something like "are you here?" "...yeah" followed by "are you friendly?" "...yeah".

Every now and then having a job where the ghost isn't hostile at all, maybe having some other objective to lay them to rest would be rad.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DieLaughing posted:

I had an incredibly chill ghost one time. He'd fiddle with the lights or move objects around in the room but never started any hunts. Our conversation over the spirit box went something like "are you here?" "...yeah" followed by "are you friendly?" "...yeah".

Every now and then having a job where the ghost isn't hostile at all, maybe having some other objective to lay them to rest would be rad.

Yeah, what my friends and i were talking about as we played the other day, what would own is a bonus round where you play as the ghost removal team. Like you have to double down on your ID of the ghost and you bring gear sp[ecific to the ghost to to remove it. If you fail you lose everything, but if you succeed you double your money or whatever.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My favorite ghost so far was the one we relentlessly poo poo-talked
Don't remember who was playing, but it went something like:

Us: George Harris? Hairless? George Harrison? Why are you such a bitch? I'm dating your mom...

Spirit box: DEATH

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Last night a friend and I had another pair join our lobby, so we decided to play 2v2 competitive ghost hunter. The rules of the game were to find all three clues first, hide the tools so the others couldn't find them, then drop sanity to 0 and cause as many hunts as possible. It was a pretty good time! I did accidentally rat myself out a few times by taking pictures of fingerprints or active EMF sensors for the extra cash.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

There should be a higher difficulty mode where you don't get the eight second head start on hunts.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

a mysterious cloak posted:

Us: George Harris? Hairless? George Harrison? Why are you such a bitch? I'm dating your mom...

last night we had a good one, the ghost had been really chill
I was bravely standing far away from the ghost room kitchen next to a cupboard to hide into and could hear my girlfriend go

"I'm in your kitchen helen martin, i'm eating all your bread. OH NO SHE DIDNT LIKE THAT HELEN NO!" as the torches began to flicker

Evil Kit posted:

my favorite so far has been a blatent lie from the ghost. When asking how old it is I got back an "Old" response after clearly watching it manifest in one of the child forms.

yeah we got a "how many people have you killed?" "0" on the ouija board right next to one of our corpses

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

a mysterious cloak posted:

Its kinda comical the times we forget to turn off the spirit box and the ghost chatters away while we are busy talking about something else.
Us: "I'm gonna go check for orbs, you guys need anything?"
Ghost: ADULT
Us: "Yeah bring the uv light and photocamera when you come back"
Ghost: BEHIND

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

E

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

E

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Once we heard what we thought was references to a coordinates or something. "G8" But on second thought it was probably just "get out"

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

GyverMac posted:

Its kinda comical the times we forget to turn off the spirit box and the ghost chatters away while we are busy talking about something else.
Us: "I'm gonna go check for orbs, you guys need anything?"
Ghost: ADULT
Us: "Yeah bring the uv light and photocamera when you come back"
Ghost: BEHIND

Look, it's been years since someone was brave enough to come say hello. It's just lonely.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

looks like the only way to exorcise this ghost is to exercise dat rear end

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Got killed by the ghost when I was outside the house.

One hunter was inside, the rest of us were outside when the hunt started, so we all ran to the front of the house to peer in through the windows and get photos. It chased my friend around for a bit and couldn't catch him, which is when it apparently spotted me through the front door. Walked towards the door for a bit, before vanishing and got me as I stood a few feet back on the front porch.

It was pretty funny.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've never had a ghost kill me outside the house, but we have had a dishrag hovering a few inches above the lawn the last three times we've done the house with the kitchen right by the entrance. It's roughly as spooky, I'd say.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I got killed inside a locker yesterday, there was some debate on whether it found me because of the radio clicking on briefly, or my character model clipping through the side of the locker.

Either way, victim blaming was correct.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Zaffy posted:

I got killed inside a locker yesterday, there was some debate on whether it found me because of the radio clicking on briefly, or my character model clipping through the side of the locker.

Either way, victim blaming was correct.

When you're in ghost mode, don't all the doors vanish for you? Wouldn't that mean that the ghost themselves can see through doors as well?

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

amigolupus posted:

When you're in ghost mode, don't all the doors vanish for you? Wouldn't that mean that the ghost themselves can see through doors as well?

Ghosts aren't supposed to be able to see through closed doors. I was reading some theory-craft that the ghost finds players by the player model's head ray-casting which would explain how the ghost saw me through the closed locker door if my model clipped outside.

edit: Another goon was in the locker right next to me (closer to where the ghost came from) and he survived, I could see him clipping through his locker into mine, but if both our doors were closed the ghost could have only seen me. This was the farmhouse with the workshop, my locker had a gap between the locker and the wall, so if I clipped through I was visible to the room.

Zaffy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 9, 2020

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I've gotten killed through doors before, but I don't think that's intended behavior, unless lockers and closets are supposed to be useless.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

SpudCat posted:

I've gotten killed through doors before, but I don't think that's intended behavior, unless lockers and closets are supposed to be useless.

Re: the ghost targeting is speculated to be raycasting to the head of the player model, which likes to clip through doors and confined spaces. This might be an explanation, but it's only part of one.

This is anecdotal from my own experience, so take with a grain of salt: doors (including closet doors, like the hallway closets in the house properties) basically seem to have only two states as far as the ghost is concerned - fully closed, and open. It doesn't seem to matter whether the door is open a little bit or all the way; if a door is not "fully closed", it doesn't exist as far as the ghost's movement and line of sight is concerned. You'll know that a door is fully closed because there is a "closed door" sound that happens when a door is placed all the way into the closed state.

Finally, Wraiths appear to simply ignore all doors (meaning doors, closets, and lockers) - these block neither movement nor line of sight, meaning that closets and lockers are very poor hiding places against a Wraith. While I haven't really been able to test whether or not Wraiths can actually travel through walls (not the easiest thing to verify experimentally), walls do block line of sight against Wraiths during hunts.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

My foolproof method of escaping the ghost if they've got you cornered. Back into a wall and look straight up. Give in to the cosmic power of limbo.

(May not be foolproof as the ghost only needs to be within 1m of your head to kill you.)

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Olesh posted:

Finally, Wraiths appear to simply ignore all doors (meaning doors, closets, and lockers) - these block neither movement nor line of sight, meaning that closets and lockers are very poor hiding places against a Wraith. While I haven't really been able to test whether or not Wraiths can actually travel through walls (not the easiest thing to verify experimentally), walls do block line of sight against Wraiths during hunts.

Yeah, different ghosts have different hearing and types of vision. The Mare can see everyone not in strong light regardless of where they are (so shine your flashlights on each other). There's one that can detect you if you are alone and below 50% sanity as well, don't remember which though, and the Jinn knows if you're in a room with the room lights on. Ghost vision is wild and I'm not sure any of that is intentional.

Fun story: i was playing with some friends last night, and we had a really active ghost that kept haunting every time anyone entered it's room. We had a cross at it's door and a cross on the next door so that it couldn't get to us, but we couldn't get ANYTHING done in terms of figuring out what it was. So I, being brave, took a smudge stick into the room to buy us the time to hopefully get a clue. Because the room was actively being smudged it couldn't haunt in the room, so it just manifested in the room with the second cross at the door and instantly gibbed someone else instead. We just left at that point because it was either spirit box or spirit book, and there was just never enough time to get either done.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Olesh posted:

Re: the ghost targeting is speculated to be raycasting to the head of the player model, which likes to clip through doors and confined spaces. This might be an explanation, but it's only part of one.

This is anecdotal from my own experience, so take with a grain of salt: doors (including closet doors, like the hallway closets in the house properties) basically seem to have only two states as far as the ghost is concerned - fully closed, and open. It doesn't seem to matter whether the door is open a little bit or all the way; if a door is not "fully closed", it doesn't exist as far as the ghost's movement and line of sight is concerned. You'll know that a door is fully closed because there is a "closed door" sound that happens when a door is placed all the way into the closed state.

I agree with the door closing noise. My locker was closed, I know to listen for the click.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Was just chatting with a friend about handicaps we could add to the game and he had a good idea: one person puts on a head cam and the other person hangs back and guides them through the map over the radio using nightvision.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

swampcow posted:

Was just chatting with a friend about handicaps we could add to the game and he had a good idea: one person puts on a head cam and the other person hangs back and guides them through the map over the radio using nightvision.

Radio dies, panic sets in.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TheAnomaly posted:

We just left at that point because it was either spirit box or spirit book, and there was just never enough time to get either done.

we've been just putting the spirit book in front of the video cameras so whoever is checking on stuff in the van can see if it's been written in lol

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Babe Magnet posted:

we've been just putting the spirit book in front of the video cameras so whoever is checking on stuff in the van can see if it's been written in lol

and then the drat ghost knocks the book out of frame

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I've been using Nvidia's recording feature to record game footage. Is there a better way to record games? I've noticed it doesn't always work. Ideally, I'd like a solution that won't end up using up 100GB after a single gaming session.

I know no one uses FRAP anymore, what's the latest in recording games?

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Is OBS still cool?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

OBS always gives me problems but some of my friends can use it just fine. I guess it can be hit or miss? X-Split's pretty good.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
There's also Xbox Game Bar that comes with Windows 10.
[edit] Though I've never tried to actually record with it, I just use it to clip the last 30 seconds of whatever bullshit happened :v:

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 10, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
OBS works just fine for me, i use it a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Yeah, OBS seems like the general recording software of choice these days.

Had a high school run a few days ago that went interestingly. Gonna spoiler it since it kinda ended up either proving or at least further implying some gameplay/mechanics stuff that people might want to stay in the dark about :

My group of friends has a few sessions under their belt now, which means we are actually getting half-way decent at dealing with hunts and figuring out ghost stuff. So we explore the school, splitting up in groups of two and just as we meet up around the south side the hunts begin. Only very faint footsteps, so I make my way to the van while the rest tries to pinpoint it a bit, and I notice we somehow already got down to 0 sanity each (Guess we might wanna turn on classroom lights when checking after all). They figure it is north, probably upper hallway and I check the cameras since we had a similiar situation before where we could spot the ghost coming out of the classroom and see where it is from there. And sure enough, it clearly walks out of a classroom and down the staircase, giving us the location of it's room. One of my friends was closeby too with a tripodded camera, so he quickly snuck one in between hunts, allowing me to see the exact corner of the room it appears from. So we know where it is, which means it is time to come up with a battle plan (after everyone got out safely).

The plan was simple: Since we weren't sure if the ghost hunts based on overall sanity or on the ones who are inside, we had me and one other guy take two pills each, all the evidence items we can bring along as well as a crucifix and then hope we can walk in there and have some time to do our job before it begins to murder us. It helped that I was in VR, so I could bring one more item along. The rest stayed back and basically were there to watch the activity meter/sit back and watch the headcams while we get murdered. So we assemble at the side door, step inside and already a hunt starts, which probably answered that question on sanity already. Once it stopped, we got out and made our way up to the room we figured it was in, and after tossing the crucifix into the corner where I figured I saw the ghost I asked where the camera was, since I wanted to double-check how it was oriented in case I was misremembering the corner. Turns out, the camera was a room over and we went to the wrong one, so I quickly got my stuff and went outside, trying to turn the hallway lightswitch on to preserve some sanity when the flashlight begins to flicker. Panicking, I decide the best course of action is to drop my held items and leg it south, away from the room and down the long empty corridor that is in the middle of the schools upper floor. Somehow, the ghost either did not see me or did not catch up to me so after it ends I went back to the actual ghost room where I immedietly toss the crucifix in the actual corner.

My friend meanwhile used the UV light on the door and sure enough, fingerprints. Finally, our first piece of evidence! Going down the internal list, I ask where the spirit box is only to remember I dropped it when running away so I go back to get it again. And of course, the moment I step back inside the room the flickering returns. drat crucifix did not prevent the hunt, which I guess means there is a bit more to it than just slamming it down where I see it spawn. I begin to move backwards away from the door, and see the blinking ghost following behind me, so I figured I was probably dead which I made sure my friend who was there with me knew. And oddly enough, after walking enough I actually managed to cover some distance, and it seems to lose interest in me and turn around. And I quickly realised why as the hunt stops sooner than it should: It went for my friend instead. Figuring this was enough, I hoofed it back outside and looked at the options we had left.

Admittedly, I don't remember exactly the options we had left, especially as the only evidence we had were fingerprints. I wanna say it was spirit, banshee and revenant? Anyhow, figuring we were done and some wild guessing cannot work I started to theorise: A revenant would have caught up with me, it absolutely saw me. A banshee supposedly only goes for one specific person, so it is odd that it switched from going after me to my friend. If there were any other options, I probably had similiar dismissals so I convinced everyone to go with spirit. And somehow, I was actually right! Despite technically only getting a single piece of evidence and getting chainhunted constantly we got the ghost type with a fairly reasonable guess. Too bad one of us died for the info but eh, at least it was not me :v: Felt pretty proud of that since in the past, such a ghost would have had us just go and call it quits before even really trying. That said, considering one of us died and we got like no other optional objectives, this very much was just for the sake of finally "winning" against a turbomurder ghost in the high school