Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Elizabethan Error posted:

so you're gonna report back with your 30d brisket cook soon?

It comes out at the end of the video literally inedible and smelling like poop, so I hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I will happily report back with my $100+ brisket cook the next time I have occasion to make one, yes.

Sorry that was unclear. I mean if you want to puddle something for a month why would you use a 100+$ piece of meat and not a cheaper piece? You instinctively know the risk you will ruin it is at 98% even if you have zero idea how meat behaves during cooking.

Otherwise properly puddling expensive meat is completely fine by me.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dewgy posted:

It comes out at the end of the video literally inedible and smelling like poop, so I hope not.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hopper posted:

Sorry that was unclear. I mean if you want to puddle something for a month why would you use a 100+$ piece of meat and not a cheaper piece? You instinctively know the risk you will ruin it is at 98% even if you have zero idea how meat behaves during cooking.

Otherwise properly puddling expensive meat is completely fine by me.

Because it gets views on youtube

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
If you can pronounce 'Worcestershire' then you may use it for the rub.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Big Willy Style posted:

If you can pronounce 'Worcestershire' then you may use it for the rub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPerqGHwj3k

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I don’t have the full story of what happened in this thread on 30 day cook times but SVE did like a week long cook of beef and it went rancid.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Never did pork belly sous vide before. Used Kenji's recipe, turned out pretty great. Definitely need to get something better than using the biggest stock pot I have though, had to add a lot of water and keeping the two vacuum sealed packs submerged was a challenge.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

bird with big dick posted:

Never did pork belly sous vide before. Used Kenji's recipe, turned out pretty great. Definitely need to get something better than using the biggest stock pot I have though, had to add a lot of water and keeping the two vacuum sealed packs submerged was a challenge.

Get a cambro with a lid or anything with a lid it will help keep the water from evaporating. Any restaurant store should have them. Costco was even selling one recently.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've got half a brisket going for a 155F swim ahead of this weekend.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Curious to know times, temps, smoking? or corned beef?, muscle groups you are doing and how it turns out. This has been something I've found to be hit or miss.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My temp probe is going out on my sous vide.

Does anyone know what the probe on the right is called? It's a Pt100 but all the links on Amazon (including the one in my order history) are obviously a different one that isn't designed to be submerged. I made the 1/8" tip-ring-sleeve end, I'm just looking for an industrial probe I can cut down.

The one on the left is also "waterproof" and is rusting after a few uses... I would really like to know the magic words to put in for the probe coated in plastic like the right that I can modify for my cooker so it can last another decade!

Hed fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 5, 2020

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Anyone do sous vide pork ribs? I did mine with a rub, 155 for 24 hours, then finished on the grill, copying a Kenji recipe. They were good, but had almost a ham-like texture in parts - I wonder if the long bath in a salty rub cured them somewhat?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Toebone posted:

Anyone do sous vide pork ribs? I did mine with a rub, 155 for 24 hours, then finished on the grill, copying a Kenji recipe. They were good, but had almost a ham-like texture in parts - I wonder if the long bath in a salty rub cured them somewhat?

I expect that's exactly what happened, yeah. For ribs I would might try to reduce the salt a fair bit and try adding it before grilling, or something like that.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
And incidentally, this is yet another reason to not integrate any salt to your rubs. Add it separately, salt and rubs serve different purposes so you really should keep control of each purpose separately.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I just did beef short ribs for the first time. 3 bone plate pre-seared with charcoal and then cooked for 72 hours at 131. Didn't bother with forks - just cut it into 3 rib sections and gnawed it off the bone like an animal. It was super tender but not quite falling off the bone, and tasted like some of the best prime rib I've ever had. My only gripe was that the meat on one of the outer bones was mostly fat. I'll probably do it at a higher temp next time to see the difference in texture and find out which way I prefer.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

asciidic posted:

I just did beef short ribs for the first time. 3 bone plate pre-seared with charcoal and then cooked for 72 hours at 131. Didn't bother with forks - just cut it into 3 rib sections and gnawed it off the bone like an animal. It was super tender but not quite falling off the bone, and tasted like some of the best prime rib I've ever had. My only gripe was that the meat on one of the outer bones was mostly fat. I'll probably do it at a higher temp next time to see the difference in texture and find out which way I prefer.

Yeah, some beef ribs can have an obscene amount of fat chunks. I usually do the smoke and then sear at the very end. You can always pull off the big fat after the puddle.

Any pics of the internal meat? I am curious what you got with 131F@72, as I make mine at 144F@72

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

This is the best I could do in my hungry state. The first rib was the least fatty but my brother stole it before I could take the photo. The one in the back is the one that didn't have much salvageable meat.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I haven't posted in this thread in a long time, but for some reason it was the first thing this picture made me think of

https://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1304111641743638529

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

asciidic posted:

This is the best I could do in my hungry state. The first rib was the least fatty but my brother stole it before I could take the photo. The one in the back is the one that didn't have much salvageable meat.

Hrm, no doubt it is technically cooked enough, but that convinces me to stick with 144F. I wonder if the higher heat I use over the 72 hours renders the fat down better without "browning" the interior meat. Also the searing pre puddle looks a bit mushy.

I need to excavate to the bottom of my chest freezer to see if I have a pack to do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Made Kenji's sous vide lobster (tails) for an anniversary dinner on the weekend. Went for 130F, which worked well for the "turf" component as well, and it turned out very well. Better than previous steaming/boiling/grilling attempts, for sure: not rubbery at all, and great buttery flavour.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Are we allowed to talk about the Anova Precision Oven here? Because holy poo poo. I’ve done omelettes, asparagus, and bakes potatoes and I’m a convert.

Omelette texture like Modernist Cuisine promised and I’ve never achieved. Impossibly soft and fluffy. Tender crisp asparagus. Fluffy interior and crunchy skin on a potato.

I can’t wait to make a chicken.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ultimate Mango posted:

Are we allowed to talk about the Anova Precision Oven here? Because holy poo poo. I’ve done omelettes, asparagus, and bakes potatoes and I’m a convert.

Omelette texture like Modernist Cuisine promised and I’ve never achieved. Impossibly soft and fluffy. Tender crisp asparagus. Fluffy interior and crunchy skin on a potato.

Stop saying this, I just bought a different oven!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I want an APO but we just don't have the space for any more kitchen poo poo so I'm gonna need to sell the house and move first.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Mango posted:

I pre-ordered one but haven't heard anything about it since the launch date. When did yours arrive, and when did you order?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

xtal posted:

Stop saying this, I just bought a different oven!

What did you get? The APO is a “classic microwave” sized countertop deal. It can coexist with other ovens.

That being said, I really wish I could have replaced my single wall oven with a wall mounted APO that takes 220v.

Subjunctive posted:

I pre-ordered one but haven't heard anything about it since the launch date. When did yours arrive, and when did you order?

You won’t hear until it ships and then it arrives the next day. Sucks, but that’s the way. You should know what wave you are in, email support if you don’t know.

So far I’ve done omelettes, egg bites (breakfast for this week), asparagus, and broccoli. Chicken will be dinner one night this week. Also used it to make open faced steak and cheese sliders since I didn’t want to get out the toaster oven. Worked great.

Between this, my Roccbox, Grill/smoker, and immersion circulators, I may never use my oven again.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah I considered the APO, but a countertop model is a dealbreaker to me.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Woke up to a leaking bag (defective foodsaver strikes again) after 12ish hours into a 24 hour shortrib cook. I rebagged for the rest of the cook (hopefully the meat isn't ruined by the water intrusion) but what should I do to clean the Anova after it's done?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nohearum posted:

Woke up to a leaking bag (defective foodsaver strikes again) after 12ish hours into a 24 hour shortrib cook. I rebagged for the rest of the cook (hopefully the meat isn't ruined by the water intrusion) but what should I do to clean the Anova after it's done?

I'd suggest running the anova in a superhot cook in clean water, like basically as high as the anova will go (I think I can get mine to hold around 190). Change the water after 10 minutes, run it another 10 and you're probably fine.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

I'd suggest running the anova in a superhot cook in clean water, like basically as high as the anova will go (I think I can get mine to hold around 190). Change the water after 10 minutes, run it another 10 and you're probably fine.

This and add some vinegar to the water.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

do newer anovas not have a removable shroud or something? just wash the dang thing in the sink.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Nohearum posted:

I have grown to hate my food saver. Just waiting for funds to free up for a proper one and bags that are not delicate as frick.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I have a food saver that's about 5 years old and have never had a bag break. Long cooks at higher temps too. I use cheap Amazon bags too. But I do make sure no liquid or spices are in the area where the bag seals because if they are you are going to have a bag break.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Are the bags breaking where you are fusing them or because something is puncturing them?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I have a food saver that's about 5 years old and have never had a bag break. Long cooks at higher temps too. I use cheap Amazon bags too. But I do make sure no liquid or spices are in the area where the bag seals because if they are you are going to have a bag break.

I've never had any issues either using the same combination. Another thing I do for longer cooks or if I ever doubt the seal is add one or even two extra seals to be safe. Doesn't hurt anything...

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I've found my cheap Amazon bags to be of higher quality than the official Foodsaver ones when it comes to resisting punctures and unsealing. Though even having switched I still double-seal just to be safe.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I've been using a puddle machine for over a decade, I've never used anything other than cheap bulk vac seal rolls and the least expensive Rival Seal-A-Meal I could buy, and I've never had a single bag fail. I've re-bagged during prep a couple times because it was obvious some liquid had wicked up and hosed up the seal, but never lost a seal during a cook.

I also vac seal a bunch of garden veg for freezing, and routinely vac seal meat in large batches (whenever I'm smoking a brisket I'll do two or three, and then slice, vac seal, and freeze the leftovers) and I've never had any problems with any of that, either.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've only had 1 bag failure. It was on a tbone or something and the pone punctured a small hole in it when vac sealed. That's the only time for me.

@SubG how do you re-heat your bbq leftovers? SV?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've got a few pounds of boneless/skinless chicken thighs cooking away at 165. I am going to shred those SOBs up, make a tinga sauce, and enjoy some god drat tinga tacos.

Chicken thighs are still one of the most impressive things with sous vide. Unreal every time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

sterster posted:

I've only had 1 bag failure. It was on a tbone or something and the pone punctured a small hole in it when vac sealed. That's the only time for me.

@SubG how do you re-heat your bbq leftovers? SV?

I've reheated leftover pulled pork straight from the freezer with SV. 140 was enough to get it to a pleasant serving temperature without ruining the texture.