Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Playing Blood again on lightly broiled and just got through episode 2. That was definitely way easier than 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Playing Blood again on lightly broiled and just got through episode 2. That was definitely way easier than 1.

Blood's difficulty is very front-loaded, yeah. Even on Extra Crispy I found the game pretty manageable (albiet with a lot of quicksaving) in the later episodes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

One of the expansions gives you an insane amount of Napalm too.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A few days late but

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Duke 1 and 2 worth checking out or they just lovely dos platformers like the rest?
I mean if your tolerance for DOS platformers where the framerate is like 17Hz and you move half a tile's width a frame when you're walking is low, then they're not gonna do anything for you. Personally? I'm quite nostalgic for that poo poo, grew up on some Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure and Hocus Pocus so that specific niche of platformer suits me just fine.

I admit that I haven't really stuck with either game to see them to completion, though I wouldn't exactly blame them on the quality of the games themselves. Well, okay, DN1 can get a bit samey, but it's very polished otherwise!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The endless deluge of Quake map releases continues, with the Speedmap Snack Pack bringing along 16 new Copper maps made in a 24 hour stretch.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are speed map packs ever any good? I’ve always avoided because, to me, “making a level in a short period of time” as a design rule seems like it would really limit the quality of a map.

Is that just me? Should I give them a whack?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It's a mixed bag. But often you'll find that quite a few very experienced Quake mappers get involved in speed jams because the enjoy the opportunity to experiment beyond their usual expressions. Restriction breeds creativity — so you may well find some interesting poo poo in there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

chaosapiant posted:

Are speed map packs ever any good? I’ve always avoided because, to me, “making a level in a short period of time” as a design rule seems like it would really limit the quality of a map.

Is that just me? Should I give them a whack?

Give it a try, don’t expect consistent quality. When it comes to Quake I personally kind of prefer a coffee break sized level to an hour long labyrinth with 30 secrets even if the latter is more technically impressive.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Sounds like I'll go ahead and pick up Prodeus. Speaking of, it's the 9th, why isn't it available on the store yetttttttttttttttttttttttt :doom:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

If Quake mappers want me to stop looking for secrets under elevators they're going to have to stop putting them there. :colbert:

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Pyrolocutus posted:

Sounds like I'll go ahead and pick up Prodeus. Speaking of, it's the 9th, why isn't it available on the store yetttttttttttttttttttttttt :doom:

10AM PT friend. Sooooooon

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1325800422645276673

And thus the bulk of the work concludes, pending any "surprise we're adding Halo 5" announcements that I'm not expecting. Next up is a buncha patching I guess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1325800422645276673

And thus the bulk of the work concludes, pending any "surprise we're adding Halo 5" announcements that I'm not expecting. Next up is a buncha patching I guess.
They've announced they'll keep working on MCC for at least another year, that'll involve more cosmetic unlocks (including a few that never quite got released for the original 360 version of Reach), better mod support, more Skulls, and whatever other opportunities come up (Halo Online stuff?)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I hope they add PC split screen!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Heretic e4m9 status: Had to look up a walkthrough to find a door-disguised-as-wall in a dark sector of the map in order to progress with the map.

I hate this place.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Had no clue that was being done in GameMaker I had assumed Unity.

https://twitter.com/TreyPowell1964/status/1325451360041660418?s=20

This is nuts. Maybe it has something to do with NB porting everything to consoles and it's worth the delay for the extra sales for them but if I was programming this game I would be dropping a radio in my bathtub right now. I guess it's guaranteed work if you're getting paid.

I don't get why GameMaker and Godot are looked at as toys and Unity and Unreal are the only acceptable engines...

caleb fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 9, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

caleb posted:

This is nuts. Maybe it has something to do with NB porting everything to consoles and it's worth the delay for the extra sales for them but if I was programming this game I would be dropping a radio in my bathtub right now. I guess it's guaranteed work if you're getting paid.
Almost all of NB's other games are in Unity and they have some crack Unity guns on hand pretty much dedicated to cleaning up lovely old code (I think the release version of Dusk was pretty much entirely in UnityScript and the mod SDK is gradually rewriting it all in C#), so it'll at least mean that everyone is speaking the same language (:haw:) and other devs can chip in as needed.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Opening stages of Prodeus is fun so far, but I hope I'm not missing out on anything with the apparent lack of subtitles.

Also it's kinda silly that you have to hold down two buttons to flurry of punches rather than just one.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

caleb posted:

I don't get why GameMaker and Godot are looked at as toys and Unity and Unreal are the only acceptable engines...

Unity used to be seen as a toy too. Game Maker's gotten a little bit of a better rep than it used to, and Godot I think just isn't well-known enough, but you're right that they're generally seen as "less" than Unreal and Unity

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's more that if you wanted to make an FPS Unity was the way to go (it's why I've been messing around with it for awhile). It's had visual scripting add-ons for awhile and they've since integrated their own visual scripting into Unity itself which is a godsend for the non to barely programmers like myself. My reaction wasn't in thinking GM was a joke it's that it's a 2D game maker in my mind.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Angry_Ed posted:

Unity used to be seen as a toy too. Game Maker's gotten a little bit of a better rep than it used to, and Godot I think just isn't well-known enough, but you're right that they're generally seen as "less" than Unreal and Unity

Between Spelunky, Hyperlight Drifter, Hotline Miami and Post Void I think it's been proven you can make professional stuff with GM that makes an impact. I hate to see it looked down on because I use it and don't know C at all beyond messing with Quake things. I should probably step up my game and learn a real language though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Unity and Unreal just come with a guarantee of support for all platforms for the future, they're "industry standard" because a lot of the industry uses them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

caleb posted:

Between Spelunky, Hyperlight Drifter, Hotline Miami and Post Void I think it's been proven you can make professional stuff with GM that makes an impact

Spelunky did switch to a bespoke engine for the HD remake and sequel though, and Hotline Miami was rebuilt on PhyreEngine for the console ports

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also GM has a relatively specific wheelhouse (2D games) and, while you can make a Doom-style FPS with it technically, it's pretty much guaranteed to be extremely jank

e: like, I'm not gonna dog on Game Maker as a piece of software, it's good poo poo and for particular types of games you can make something really good with it (see: Hotline Miami, Undertale). but there's a lot of stuff that's just not in its wheelhouse, and even if you can technically pull it off you're gonna have a bad time trying. so I think NB made absolutely the right call here, because Unity is just straight-up better built for what this game is trying to do.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 9, 2020

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

If Quake mappers want me to stop looking for secrets under elevators they're going to have to stop putting them there. :colbert:

I know right??

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not that I'm buying it until it's 1.0, but is there more to Prodeus than what was in the beta?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Hold on, is there no mid-level save in Prodeus? You have to finish the whole level or start from the beginning?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mordja posted:

Not that I'm buying it until it's 1.0, but is there more to Prodeus than what was in the beta?

The beta was just like one level wasn't it? The EA release has a bunch of levels (idk how many exactly)

Pyrolocutus posted:

Hold on, is there no mid-level save in Prodeus? You have to finish the whole level or start from the beginning?

Do the checkpoints not persist if you quit out?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It appears that there is supposed to currently be "3-5 hours" worth of content in Prodeus, according to the developers.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

MMF Freeway posted:

The beta was just like one level wasn't it? The EA release has a bunch of levels (idk how many exactly)

Do the checkpoints not persist if you quit out?

I'll have to double check but I didn't start from the checkpoint when I restarted last time.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

So I had a chance to play again, selecting Continue. It spat me out at the beginning of the level, I think 1-2 checkpoints behind? And I only had my fists rather than the weapons/ammo I had built up?

If this is meant to be a playthrough in one go per level thing, I'm sure other people enjoy that but it really should have been made more obvious on the store page, I thought it would have regular saves so I could check in and check out as I wanted. Unless I'm missing something, I'll probably refund it in the next day or so.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Played a good bit of Prodeus now and I think all my problems with it can be summed up in: I want more options. Maybe I've been spoiled from playing too much Doom lately, with its extreme customizability these days, but there are just a bunch of little things that I wish I could tweak. I want to turn the blood down by like half, I want the automap to be more clean/simple with colored doors highlighted, I want a kill/secret counter and I want health to be on the left and armor/ammo on the right damnit! Holding down both mouse buttons to punch is dumb, the crosshair is too big, and using the scroll wheel for weapon select doesn't wrap around (if you're at the end of the list scrolling that way does nothing). And yeah while the saving system doesn't personally bother me I don't see much reason why there couldn't be an option for normal saving. Not to come down too hard on it though because it really is quite solid and I like it a lot, plus its still EA afterall and there's a decent amount of content to play already.

.Ataraxia. posted:

I've enjoyed it for sure, but I don't think there was enough in the beta to make a proper judgement call. We really only got one Campaign map and it felt like it is definitely an early map in the campaign. I'm still getting it day one, but that's because I enjoy making maps for it a lot.

If anyone does grab it, let me know what you think of the map I made for it. It's called 'Thermal' (by Nebiont, which is the name I go by now).

I played your map and it was a lot of fun! A notch above the early campaign levels difficulty wise as well which was nice (I played on the recommended Hard). Maybe ease up on the "use this console, opps it broke" style ambushes in subsequent maps though :v:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I only played the first 2 levels of Prodeus but I really enjoy the style and feel so far. I love how ridiculously violent it is.

I'm not sure if it'll get stale eventually but first impressions are strong and I'll probably double dip on Switch.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 10, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Prodeus is such a mishmash of vaguely-retro stuff that never actually coexisted together in reality that I have a hard time getting into it because it is not cohesive at all

edit: though it looks like you can turn most of that stuff off to make it look like a normal game...

edit 2: the blood is stupid in a good and hilarious way

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 10, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Like I said earlier, it looks like a fake video game that you’d see someone play on a tv show 10-15 years ago and I appreciate that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Played a bit of Prodeus, the first 4-5 missions, thoughts:

-The faux retro style is more natural in game than it is in videos, plays naturally
-The blood/explosions really cover the screen in a bad way
-Overall, the aesthetic works quite well. This is aided by lots of mood lighting, atmosphere, and (so far) good level layouts

-The game is like an object lesson in why reloading isn't fun.
-->The shotun/akimbo smgs are much less fun with huge artificial gaps in the shooting.
-->Conversely the chain gun and rocket launcher are super fun, and have intrinsic 'reloads' (spinup, long time between shots). Funny that.
-->The lightning gun's reload is fine, because it's super fast, doubly so since a single clip can flatten an entire screen twice over.
-A few other cardinal sins: The pistol is doom-level worthless/obsolete (why?!), and the shotgun's alt-fire is 'too good' in that it's absurdly ammo efficient and universally applicable at all ranges. Using it slows the game down and is bad.
-A pet peeve, but that shotgun looks like a SMG I swear.

-Enemy variety was baseline acceptable, but that's probably because of early game and EA issues.

Overall I had fun and it's worth keeping an eye on, but I do hope they take a serious look at the basic shooting loop before leaving EA. Probably not, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Behold, Ar Lumiae, a GARGANTUAN GZDoom map that was started for Mapwich 2 and grew too big to handle.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

My first thought was ‘but the maps in mapwich 2 were already tediously long in the back half’ and then I saw the estimated completion time of 6-8 hours.

Not really sure if any map could sustain itself for half that time. Even the new sunder maps start to wear out their welcome around the two hour mark

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Not to mention the performance limitations of such a big map with ZDoom, ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Agreed, I prefer 10-20 minute maps and the occasional 1hour for some exceptional work. 6 hours is a lot of time to fill.