Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Delta-Wye posted:

It always cracks me up when developers are like "we don't know which direction the user's body is pointed, we only know hands and head so we will have to take the direction from one of those. Also, we have this (totally unrelated!) nifty IK model to approximate body position from hands and head we will use for character rendering."

At this point I don't mind head-directed movement because it's become second nature to adjust my movement stick as I move my head. I no longer have any problem looking around while traveling in one direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Delta-Wye posted:

It always cracks me up when developers are like "we don't know which direction the user's body is pointed, we only know hands and head so we will have to take the direction from one of those. Also, we have this (totally unrelated!) nifty IK model to approximate body position from hands and head we will use for character rendering."

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

this post kinda hurts me physically

Have you played a game with a VR rendered IK body that is actually always accurate? The problem is really complicated and arm and head IK Isn't enough to accurately figure out where a torso is.
I think having a consistent control is preferable to something that's only accurate sometimes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 9, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Djarum posted:

Is there any other games on the Quest that gives you a workout like that?

I've been getting a pretty great workout out of Supernatural. Not quite as crazy as Thrill of the Fight, but the high intensity workouts that have a lot of squats and side lunges definitely had me sucking wind by the end. Requires a monthly subscription, but there's a free 30 day trial you can have some fun with if you don't want to spend money.

BoxVR also has some good workouts, but I think the Quest implementation (FitVR, I think it is?) is slightly different and I haven't tried that out for comparison.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Regarding Thrill of the Fight's room scale requirements, I think the game takes into account your guardian boundaries and the square you can see on the floor of the ring is the maximum distance you can move to without punching something outside of your boundaries. I noticed while playing that that in-game square seems to be smaller than my Quest's boundary, and I've never even seen the boundary lines pop up while playing.

But I'm also fortunate enough to have a 6x9' space to play in.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

King Vidiot posted:

Regarding Thrill of the Fight's room scale requirements, I think the game takes into account your guardian boundaries and the square you can see on the floor of the ring is the maximum distance you can move to without punching something outside of your boundaries. I noticed while playing that that in-game square seems to be smaller than my Quest's boundary, and I've never even seen the boundary lines pop up while playing.

But I'm also fortunate enough to have a 6x9' space to play in.

When I bought it on Quest last night it warned that I needed at least 6 feet by 6 feet to play it. But, that's really not much, basically enough to stick your arms straight out and spin around without hitting your boundary.

It does do a really good job of using your space effectively.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

The problem is really complicated and arm and head IK Isn't enough to accurately figure out where a torso is.

the reason this came up in the first place is that Walking Dead: S&S seems to have done exactly that

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've been getting a pretty great workout out of Supernatural. Not quite as crazy as Thrill of the Fight, but the high intensity workouts that have a lot of squats and side lunges definitely had me sucking wind by the end. Requires a monthly subscription, but there's a free 30 day trial you can have some fun with if you don't want to spend money.

BoxVR also has some good workouts, but I think the Quest implementation (FitVR, I think it is?) is slightly different and I haven't tried that out for comparison.

BoxVR is basically the boxercise class you can do at any large gym. It's perfectly serviceable low-intensity cardio.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Shine posted:

BoxVR is basically the boxercise class you can do at any large gym. It's perfectly serviceable low-intensity cardio.

It can get more intense but that’s usually the result of me using my own music with the beat generation set to hard (or the algorithm going crazy and deciding a song is like double the BPM it should be). I don’t know if the Quest version does custom songs though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Have you played a game with a VR rendered IK body that is actually always accurate? The problem is really complicated and arm and head IK Isn't enough to accurately figure out where a torso is.
I think having a consistent control is preferable to something that's only accurate sometimes.

S&S demonstrates that it can be accurate enough most of the time, to the point where it's clearly better than the alternative.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Thrill of the fight is nuts intense. I despise playing it with the Vive controllers, though. Might wait to get into it until I buy a quest since I think you can buy it on there too, yes?

Speaking of which I am definitely thinking harder about that purchase. I have my lighthouses mounted on light stands because it gets moved around and I don’t have enough space for a dedicated vr area. Forgot and left it plugged in, tripped on the cord today and the lighthouse slammed into my face hard enough that I saw a bright flash. Have a good inch-long cut about an inch to the left of my eye. What a pain.

I agree audioshield is fun as a workout because I’m really only interested in playing those games to songs I want to listen to in that moment. I’m always sweating when I’m done but it’s not anything as intense as thrill of the fight.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 10, 2020

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the reason this came up in the first place is that Walking Dead: S&S seems to have done exactly that

SCheeseman posted:

S&S demonstrates that it can be accurate enough most of the time, to the point where it's clearly better than the alternative.

To be honest I haven't given S&S a try, but based on some games (like Echo Arena) I think the models are suitable for this task, maybe with some smoothing. The feedback about S&S sounds like an existence proof for the technique though.

Either way, full body capture can't come fast enough!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Move over boneworks, the future of VR interaction is... jelly baby works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEl1M2UK2Is

Some pretty impressive stuff here

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Ah, well, there's one then at least. Still, the fact that not everybody is doing that should show that it isn't quite as simple as Delta is making it sound. For all we know they put a ton of work into testing and smoothing and defaulting in different situations to help it. Just IK alone isn't a silver bullet, human skeletons and constraints aren't nearly limited enough to know for certain. There's a lot of given places a torso can be for any given arrangement of head and arms, because of all the ways you can twist and lean and the ways your joints can all move.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

If valve is going to continue to iterate on the lighthouse model of vr it seems like a pretty solvable problem now with the inclusion of lidar or similar distance calculating computer vision hw. Obviously other companies can figure out other ways of same, this just seems like an easy thing for valve, etc to do.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Thrill of the fight is nuts intense. I despise playing it with the Vive controllers, though. Might wait to get into it until I buy a quest since I think you can buy it on there too, yes?

It is on Quest!

The Vive wands are arguably the best controllers for TotF, if you ignore how you usually hold them and just make a fist around them. The game doesn't require any button inputs (you literally never press a button), so you can (and the dev recommends) holding the wands sideways, however it's most comfortable. You can set the controller orientation in settings, so just hold them however you want and calibrate them to be held that way.

Like, uh, this:

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Move over boneworks, the future of VR interaction is... jelly baby works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEl1M2UK2Is

Some pretty impressive stuff here

Cool demo. I took a look at their itch.io page, but the only demo that supports knuckles is the one with no ragdoll body. Shame, but climbing around feels alright with just the controllers. You can't pick up items you're standing on. You don't really have enough strength to do a pull up unless you use both hands. When you do use both hands, it feels like a switch has been flipped and suddenly you're super strong. That's all I really got out of it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

mediaphage posted:

If valve is going to continue to iterate on the lighthouse model of vr it seems like a pretty solvable problem now with the inclusion of lidar or similar distance calculating computer vision hw. Obviously other companies can figure out other ways of same, this just seems like an easy thing for valve, etc to do.

The G2 is supposed to be built in partnership with Valve and it doesn't use lighthouse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Is thrill of the fight significantly better than the Creed VR game?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lockback posted:

The G2 is supposed to be built in partnership with Valve and it doesn't use lighthouse.

The Index is a reference HDK, and considering HP are more than capable of building their own headset it was likely just about learning how to leverage Valve's hardware into THEIR headset. Building a WMR device is just their wheelhouse, and likely part of whatever's tying them to Microsoft contract-wise, rather than necessarily a choice on Valve's part.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zaphod42 posted:

The "Game" part of TotF is not terribly complex. The game is really an excellent shadow-boxing simulator. From what I understand Creed has more "Game" to it, though I haven't played it.

TotF is a lot of fun, but it's fun because it's physically intense, not because the gameplay is that engaging. But the physicality is really fun!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

It's a better simulation of boxing, as far as you can simulate that in video games. It has zero frills presentation and no "gamey" stuff like slowmo/super punches/stamina bars/etc.

If Creed is Grid, then TotF is Assetto Corsa.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
drat, does Vertigo Remastered have some sort of dampening on your hand movements? I just got the shock stick and swinging it was like i was underwater, couldn't hit anything with any force and died 3 times to the the first enemies.

Is it because of my Link? Or is the whole game like this?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For those still playing with Quest 2 Virtual Desktop. I got one of these installed on my PC this weekend:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-wi-fi-6-ax200/p/N82E16833106102

and set up my Q2 to directly connect to my PC via 5GHZ. The latency difference was pretty minor (probably 10-15% less?) but the connection was generally more stable. In general, even though there are fewer hops going directly to the PC, routers are really, really good at their jobs. If you have a PC that isn't particularly near your router and play near it (instead of your router) it's probably worthwhile, otherwise probably not.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
OrbusVR isn’t that fun, and I’m an mmo addict

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

G2 Unboxing video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjsg4qzSXk

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Kikas posted:

drat, does Vertigo Remastered have some sort of dampening on your hand movements? I just got the shock stick and swinging it was like i was underwater, couldn't hit anything with any force and died 3 times to the the first enemies.

Is it because of my Link? Or is the whole game like this?

Whole game, it does that on my Index too. I probably won't finish the game because of it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shine posted:

It is on Quest!

The Vive wands are arguably the best controllers for TotF, if you ignore how you usually hold them and just make a fist around them. The game doesn't require any button inputs (you literally never press a button), so you can (and the dev recommends) holding the wands sideways, however it's most comfortable. You can set the controller orientation in settings, so just hold them however you want and calibrate them to be held that way.

Like, uh, this:

Having it strapped on might be nice. I just find they get in the way because they’re so big but I guess any of them would. I wonder if it would work with those (too $) pucks they have now. Strap one on each mitt and go to town.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I keep wanting to like Take and Hold in H3VR in theory, and then I play it again and the game gives me literally 4 bullets and expects me to ward off 6 hotdogs with brass knuckles

If I could just have some drat ammo it'd actually be good times

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Having it strapped on might be nice. I just find they get in the way because they’re so big but I guess any of them would. I wonder if it would work with those (too $) pucks they have now. Strap one on each mitt and go to town.

That picture is overkill with the whole glove thing, but it was all I could find on short notice. Basically just hold the controller like that, minus the glove, and it should work out okay. You can mess with flipping them one way or the other to see which is better for avoiding accidental smacks when bringing your hands together to block.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I keep wanting to like Take and Hold in H3VR in theory, and then I play it again and the game gives me literally 4 bullets and expects me to ward off 6 hotdogs with brass knuckles

I think the Alpha branch has a new character who is more newbie focused, who comes with a very nice weapon and plenty of ammo to get started. I forget the details, but it sounds like it'd be more up your alley versus the more limited starting loadouts.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

??

The first item point will always have an ammo machine where you can get as much as you can hold, or play with lockable ammo and have infinite. Though note: lockable ammo means more bad guys.

But yeah, you should never be running out of ammo on the beginning of the game, it's setup so you will have full by going to the first blue point.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Shine posted:

It is on Quest!

Like, uh, this:

I always forget the vive came out when valve was still on their dumbass touchpad kick. Jesus those controllers look horrible.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Honestly, I usually play Take and Hold with spawnlockable ammo, and when I was first getting started I usually went with 50K health. Nothing wrong with starting easy to get the hang of it before turning up the difficulty at your own pace; even with those settings it took me a while to consistently clear all five holds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only thing I dont like in Take and Hold is the Sosigs with that two-barrel assault shotgun that start turning up around Wave 2. They can kill you from full health with two shots (nevermind they'll fire immediately one after another) if you're unlucky enough to get one sneaking up on you when all the rest are just uzis, pistols and pump-action shotguns and just doesn't feel like a balanced threat curve.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I bought the $43 Harbor Freight pelican knockoff for $35 with a ubiquitous 20% off coupon.

Quest 2 with elite strap, fit pack, and an extra battery bank and cables fits nicely. The case feels really solid, is waterproof, and I'm confident that it could survive several drops.

Now to stencil something on the outside. Perhaps an Aperture Science logo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lockback posted:

??

The first item point will always have an ammo machine where you can get as much as you can hold, or play with lockable ammo and have infinite. Though note: lockable ammo means more bad guys.

But yeah, you should never be running out of ammo on the beginning of the game, it's setup so you will have full by going to the first blue point.

I spent like 10 minutes wandering around and never found an ammo menu thingy. I've seen them in the past but they're definitely not always apparent when you spawn in and are wandering around. Sometimes it takes awhile to even find the first capture point, but you're saying that even if I find it I should keep spending more time teleporting through hallways until I find more ammo... which doesn't sound fun.

And if the design is really "start game, go find ammo, then clear point" and there's an ammo thingy somewhere in the map... why not just cut out the middleman and spawn me with a realistic amount of ammo? That makes sense for like, between levels, but when you're first starting being given literally 4 shotgun shells feels like a joke.

There's also just so much variability in everything. Clearing a few guys with an automatic gun when you're carrying 4 spare clips is fine. But when you have a bolt-action rifle and they have automatic guns it just seems insane expecting me to actually cycle the bolt and insert a new stripper clip before I'm completely turned to swiss cheese. If the enemies also fired at realistic bolt-action-rifle firing speeds that'd be cool, but they don't.

So its like, if you get a good gun, its super easy, if you get a poo poo gun its virtually impossible. There's no balance its just totally random.

Luneshot posted:

Honestly, I usually play Take and Hold with spawnlockable ammo, and when I was first getting started I usually went with 50K health. Nothing wrong with starting easy to get the hang of it before turning up the difficulty at your own pace; even with those settings it took me a while to consistently clear all five holds.

I guess I need to play around with spawnlockable ammo (not really clear what exactly that means so I avoided it, plus it warns you that it makes the game harder or something I think?)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 10, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Put ammo in your pocket. Click down on the thumbstick/touchpad so the pocket turns blue. It's now infinitely spawning.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Zaphod42 posted:

I spent like 10 minutes wandering around and never found an ammo menu thingy. I've seen them in the past but they're definitely not always apparent when you spawn in and are wandering around. Sometimes it takes awhile to even find the first capture point, but you're saying that even if I find it I should keep spending more time teleporting through hallways until I find more ammo... which doesn't sound fun.

The compass on your hand shows the direction of shops and hold points. Each shop will either have an ammo station or a recycler. If you see a terminal with a bullet and magazine button on them you can throw on a gun and refill every mag you have on hand with a preset ammo type.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

I also got us a case for our Quest. A bit smaller than yours. I don't know why I didn't do this from the start. So nice to be able to pack it away safely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Put ammo in your pocket. Click down on the thumbstick/touchpad so the pocket turns blue. It's now infinitely spawning.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

BisbyWorl posted:

The compass on your hand shows the direction of shops and hold points. Each shop will either have an ammo station or a recycler. If you see a terminal with a bullet and magazine button on them you can throw on a gun and refill every mag you have on hand with a preset ammo type.

Same. I knew there was the hand menu but I forgot about the compass, that makes a huge help. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Although hopefully the planned tutorial will actually explain some of this stuff when it gets implemented, I'm going to repeat (and add to) some of the stuff already mentioned, so it's all in one post:

The Stuff That Isn't Really Explained At All About H3VR Take And Hold

• Start with the "Beginner Blake" character, recently added like...last week? Fewer enemies, streamlined weapon progression, and more time to complete each hold.

• Double check the orange case when you first spawn; some weapons will randomly spawn a sight attachment. Remember to turn off the safety (default: left on your right-hand thumbstick) any time you pick up a gun. This advice does not apply to real life.

• The radar (by default located on your left hand) shows you where the points of interest are; blue are the 'store' points, the red H is the next hold point, red dots are enemies.

• Enemy guns can be picked up and used in a pinch, but have limited ammunition and are not reloadable. You can pick up and throw back enemy grenades if you're quick about it.

• If you have "spawnlockable" ammo turned on, this means that you have effectively infinite ammo (however, this also means that the game will spawn more enemies!). Place a full magazine into one of the slots on your chest. Hold your controller over that slot. Press down on the thumbstick or touchpad. This should make the slot glow blue. Now if you grab the magazine, another should appear in its place. The same process for a firearm should make the slot glow green; if you let go of the gun, it will automatically snap back into that slot so you don't lose it. If you do it again, it turns the spawnlock/holster off.

• In many cases, you will have a gun that takes "loose" ammo (revolvers, shotguns, grenade launchers, etc.) You can set it so that your spawnlockable ammo will spawn a handful. Hover over a slot with a single bullet/shell in it, while also holding another bullet/shell. Press up on the touchpad/thumbstick. This should add your held bullet/shell to the slot; so now, if you were to grab the contents of that slot, you would grab two bullets/shells. Repeat; it usually stacks up to about...six, I think?

• The gray boxes in the blue 'store' points can be destroyed, and can give a health pickup, an extra override token, or nothing at all. This is maybe the only use I've found for melee weapons: breaking these without making too much noise.

• The blue 'store' locations always have one 'shop' terminal, and one of either a 'recycle' terminal or a 'ammo' terminal.

• The shop terminal usually gives you three options: a gun, an attachment, and either a grenade or a power-up. The dice icon allows you to re-roll the category shown on the shop terminal at the cost of one override token. Gun categories are representative icons only; if it shows you an assault rifle, you'll probably get an assault rifle, but there's no guarantee that it's a modern assault rifle.

• The recycle terminal allows you to recycle an unwanted gun for one override token. For the ammo terminal, you can place your gun (or a magazine) on the shelf, and press either the 'bullet' or 'magazine' icon to spawn a round/fill that magazine with ammunition.

• I recommend visiting the ammo terminals even if you have spawnlockable ammo, because each intermission between hold points has a different, randomly chosen set of ammunition variants for almost every kind of ammo in the game. For example, if you place a 9mm handgun magazine on the shelf and press the magazine icon, it will fill that magazine with whatever random 9mm variant is currently in play, random per terminal (not per use): anything from regular FMJ to hollow-points to incendiary rounds. If you get a variant you like (and you have spawnlocking turned on), then lock that magazine in your inventory and congrats, now you have infinite incendiary ammo (or whatever). This is especially useful for weapons like shotguns if you start with an ammo type you don't like.
    Pointy solid copper tip: standard full metal jacket
    Hollow tip: hollow-point (good against unprotected hot dog, not so good against armor)
    Green or red tip: tracer round
    Black tip: armor piercing round
    Blue tip: incendiary round
    White tip: armor piercing + incendiary round
    (For handgun ammunition, any of the above but with a steel case instead of brass is a +P round; they're more powerful.)

• Silencer attachments must be 'twisted' onto the barrel. Muzzle attachments should just snap on. The silencers and muzzle attachments work for most (but not all) guns, and will automatically adapt to the weapon in question.
  • Rail attachments (scopes, lasers, etc.) can be removed by holding the attachment with the grip button and pressing down on the thumbstick/touchpad.
  • Lasers, flashlights, and other such attachments can be turned on/off by holding the attachment with the grip button and pressing up on the thumbstick/touchpad.

• You can pick up the riot shields that enemies drop and use them yourself. If you're the "turtling"/hide-in-a-corner type, this can provide invaluable cover.

• The default inventory configuration has a hidden slot over your right shoulder. Some of the largest weapons (like the rocket launchers) can only be placed in this slot.

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 10, 2020