Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Could use some help:

I made a xmas tree shelf as a birthday present for sister in law.

I cut it, sanded it, glued it, nailed it, then let it dry. Then stained it.

It then got moved a couple times, but was still in perfect shape.

I came back today and found it like this:

It looks to me like I missed one side with glue, but the other side still had some. It looks way too neat to have been knocked over or anything, so I don't think it got knocked off the table by one of the kids or something. My biggest issue is how to go about fixing this. I can't really nail back into there, as it was done in a process (nail gun won't fit now.) Clamping would also be awkward, given the angles. Would also be hard to get out the 18g nails originally used to hold it while the glue dried. (I also know these usually have a backing to brace everything, but the wife was adamant that it not have one.)

Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
You need a nail puller for one thing, or just clip the nail flush with some side cutters. I'd try scraping the glue off and make a clamping jig to fit around the point at the top, and just reglue it

Or just clamp off the shelves.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Something to be aware of: both gluing and nailing into end-grain have pretty limited strength. That's why the piece was able to fall apart so easily. Screws would do a better job of holding in this situation, though fixing the problem now will be difficult in any case. I think what I'd recommend is that you cut a piece of plywood to match the shape of the shelves, and then glue the shelves to the plywood. That will fix them all in place quite strongly, as it'll be a long grain to long grain glue-up. Of course, it's a difficultdifferent look from what you designed...but if one of those joints failed, then the others probably will as well. :smith:

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 10, 2020

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Something else you can do with end grain is to dilute some glue with water until it's pretty thin and apply that without joining the boards. It should soak in an dry and give you a better surface to then apply your glue for the actual surface joint. Alternatively glued dowels can improve it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thin hardwood backing board of some kind and then cut out the areas that the wife wants open? Wouldn't be as strong as a full backing board, but it would be a lot better than nothing, and could be secured with both glue and screws.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 10, 2020

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
That's a good idea. You can see it laying on the backer board I was going to use in the last couple pics, until the wife nixed it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

You can probably toe screw the pieces back together for the repair. Epoxy holds end grain much, much better than yellow glue and is good for repairs like this. Getting complete coverage on the end grain would have helped (just smear it with your finger or a brush) and the diluted glue thing helps too. Very tight endgrain glue joints can actually be surprisingly strong.

To repair:
Cut nails, chisel off old glue as much as you can, predrill holes to toe screw , put epoxy on end of board, screw together, try to clean up epoxy (you can't it's always a mess). Taping off around the joint will help with the epoxy clean up, and there's a point when the epoxy isn't full cured (5-10 min after you apply? depends on the epoxy) when the squeeze out can be scraped/chiseled/razorbladed off fairly easily. You can heavily wax the areas you don't want epoxied as a resist to make cleanup a little easier.

As others have pointed out, this isn't a super strong design. Either put a plywood/masonite backer (you could paint it the same color as the walls if it hangs on the wall), or glue and nail/screw plywood scabs across every joint. Make them so one piece of plywood covers both joints at each corner and extends a few inches beyond and then flush trim rout to it doesn't stick out. Stain to match etc.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
‘Oh my beloved wife, it’s either a backing board or, if you like, I could use this special pocket hole tool. It’s costs a bit but it’s worth it if it makes you happy’

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Rapulum_Dei posted:

‘Oh my beloved wife, it’s either a backing board or, if you like, I could use this special pocket hole tool. It’s costs a bit but it’s worth it if it makes you happy’

I'm lolling!!

I ended up trading in those two Irwin/record planers, the 4 and 5 and got a rider number six and holy poo poo the difference in finish and fit.

I got some white oak, 8 pieces about 15*5cm and one wider for the bottom door vertical piece. I'm evening them down and it's wild how different it is to pine, I'm really enjoying it but gently caress it's way heavier.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

One day build, a cubby box to fit an awkward space by our back door to hold dog things.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Quick utility projects are always so rewarding, nice job man, it looks good!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Rough lumber sold as 4/4 is usually at least 1" thick, right? I bought a bunch of lumber listed as 4/4 that was actually a little over 3/4", something like .8". Not that I can't find plenty to do with the bubinga I just milled up to a little less than 5/8", but it kinda sucks if I can't get 3/4" stock out of "4/4" boards with any cup/bow/twist.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

more falafel please posted:

Rough lumber sold as 4/4 is usually at least 1" thick, right? I bought a bunch of lumber listed as 4/4 that was actually a little over 3/4", something like .8". Not that I can't find plenty to do with the bubinga I just milled up to a little less than 5/8", but it kinda sucks if I can't get 3/4" stock out of "4/4" boards with any cup/bow/twist.

4/4 rough should definitely be at least 1” thick, and you should feel justified in complaining about them to your supplier or taking them back if you want to (though it won’t make you any friends at the lumberyard). Often 4/4 is like 1 1/8,” but it varies a ton by mill and board and species. The mill with the green ends some of my poplar comes from is reliably 5/4, but the stuff with the orange ends is barely an inch. I can *usually* get 7/8” stuff milled out of 4/4, but if you buy it surfaced S2S it is usually 13/16” and figuring on that is probably a safer bet. Longer/more warped pieces will lose more thickness in face jointing/surfacing.

Sometimes if a board is very cupped and you need maximum thickness, ripping it in half, surfacing the halves, and glueing it back together helps.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
4/4 is the pre-planed thickness so if you buy S2S (surfaced two sides) then it will be less than 1" thick.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I made a little hexagon table thing to hold a plant (not pictured, the pot/saucer are still coming).

It's the first "real" piece of furniture (e.g. finished and going somewhere other people will see it instead of organizing storage in my shed/basement) I have attempted from scratch but I think it mostly turned out alright. I hosed up the V's on the bottom of the pairs of legs a little by cutting one V just slightly shorter than it should be and not realizing when I band clamped them to the legs that they would be pulled towards the center of the table after I left them there for the glue to dry. I should probably get a doweling jig, and I should probably have hit the legs with another coat of stain.

Also I rounded the bottom edge of the lip under the top of the table and then attached the legs with it upside-down :saddowns:. I guess there's always next time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Very nice!

How did you make the top? I assume its some long boards glued end to end, did you cut it into the hexagon shape before you glued them together? Do you shape it after its glued together? Sorry if these are noob questions :v:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Wallet posted:

I made a little hexagon table thing to hold a plant (not pictured, the pot/saucer are still coming).

It's the first "real" piece of furniture (e.g. finished and going somewhere other people will see it instead of organizing storage in my shed/basement) I have attempted from scratch but I think it mostly turned out alright. I hosed up the V's on the bottom of the pairs of legs a little by cutting one V just slightly shorter than it should be and not realizing when I band clamped them to the legs that they would be pulled towards the center of the table after I left them there for the glue to dry. I should probably get a doweling jig, and I should probably have hit the legs with another coat of stain.

Also I rounded the bottom edge of the lip under the top of the table and then attached the legs with it upside-down :saddowns:. I guess there's always next time.

That is a handsome table, imo. The rounded edge on the tabletop looks great and 100% intentional. Probably an instance of the whole "things that drive you nuts and no one else notices" thing.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Very nice!

How did you make the top? I assume its some long boards glued end to end, did you cut it into the hexagon shape before you glued them together? Do you shape it after its glued together? Sorry if these are noob questions :v:

I'm not qualified to tell you the right way to do anything, but I can tell you what I did.

The top is just edge glued. I probably should have spent more time trying to match up the grain but I don't mind that you can tell it's not a monolithic chunk of wood. I considered biscuits but they didn't seem super necessary to me at the time: I did end up with a slight warp in the top that might not have been there if I had used them (or some other locator), though it was small enough that attaching the top to the lip/leg assembly (with a bunch of 1" corner braces) after I applied the polyurethane pulled it flat.

I laid the whole thing out in a 3d program (TinkerCad, 'cause I'm a dummy) before I made it because hexagon math gives me a headache. I cheated a little to make the measurements round instead of making a perfect hexagon.

Each half of the top is three boards (3.5", 2.5", 2" for 16" total at the skinniest part). I cut the two center (and longest) pieces to length (18 ½") and then cut the 30° angles into the ends with a mitre saw. Instead of trying to figure out exactly how long the next boards should be I just used the edges of the ones I had already cut to mark them. I mostly did it that way because trying to cut 30° angles into a big rear end rectangle with a contractor's table saw didn't sound fun or particularly safe.

Olothreutes posted:

That is a handsome table, imo. The rounded edge on the tabletop looks great and 100% intentional. Probably an instance of the whole "things that drive you nuts and no one else notices" thing.
Thanks!

The rounding on the top I did with a router. The bit I hosed up is the lip here:

I put that bit on upside down after I spent a bunch of time rounding the edge with one of these things I don't know the actual name of:

So the rounded edge is hidden under the top and the visible edge is the only one on the whole thing that's a hard corner :toot:.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 11, 2020

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

One day build, a cubby box to fit an awkward space by our back door to hold dog things.

this is the kind of poo poo that I want to be doing- what exactly do I need?

I’m guessing:

Router
Pocket hole jig
Pretty much any kind of saw (miter/circular/hand)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Rock My Socks! posted:

this is the kind of poo poo that I want to be doing- what exactly do I need?

I’m guessing:

Router
Pocket hole jig
Pretty much any kind of saw (miter/circular/hand)

Sander. Sanding is way more important than I realized at first. You can do it by hand with a sanding block (or just a cutoff of some appropriate size that you fix the sand paper to) but for anything large you are going to want a powered sander.

As far as saws go, for that project you probably want a table saw or a circular/track saw to make the longer cuts straight. With a circular saw you'll want a fence. Cutting those long edges by hand is doable but keeping them straight and parallel would be real hard for me.

Also clamps. I think the general consensus is that the number of clamps to own is N+1, where N is the number you currently own. Alternatively it's S-1, where S is the number of clamps that causes your spouse to leave you.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 11, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wallet posted:

I'm not qualified to tell you the right way to do anything, but I can tell you what I did.

The top is just edge glued. I probably should have spent more time trying to match up the grain but I don't mind that you can tell it's not a monolithic chunk of wood. I considered biscuits but they didn't seem super necessary to me at the time: I did end up with a slight warp in the top that might not have been there if I had used them (or some other locator), though it was small enough that attaching the top to the lip/leg assembly (with a bunch of 1" corner braces) after I applied the polyurethane pulled it flat.

I laid the whole thing out in a 3d program (TinkerCad, 'cause I'm a dummy) before I made it because hexagon math gives me a headache. I cheated a little to make the measurements round instead of making a perfect hexagon.

Each half of the top is three boards (3.5", 2.5", 2" for 16" total at the skinniest part). I cut the two center (and longest) pieces to length (18 ½") and then cut the 30° angles into the ends with a mitre saw. Instead of trying to figure out exactly how long the next boards should be I just used the edges of the ones I had already cut to mark them. I mostly did it that way because trying to cut 30° angles into a big rear end rectangle with a contractor's table saw didn't sound fun or particularly safe.

Thanks!

The rounding on the top I did with a router. The bit I hosed up is the lip here:

Ah perfect thats exactly what I wanted to know! It looks good, so I'd say you did it correctly

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Olothreutes posted:

Also clamps. I think the general consensus is that the number of clamps to own is N+1, where N is the number you currently own. Alternatively it's S-1, where S is the number of clamps that causes your spouse to leave you.

I keep plugging this in and getting imaginary number :confused:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

So the rounded edge is hidden under the top and the visible edge is the only one on the whole thing that's a hard corner :toot:.
This is neat I like the design. I think you did fine on matching up the boards in the top- looks great.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Christmas is coming:

Tray for one of the mothers. Several firsts on this one. First time using a coping saw, cut the handles out (I used a forstner for the rounds) and a rasp to shape them. First time resawing a board. Had 20" of 4/4 walnut leftover and picked up a new blade for the bandsaw. Ended up with two 3/8 halves so I think it went well.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Doing a bit of secret santa work. Turns out, resawing oak with a table saw and hand saw, oof, a lot of work.

Also, is sawn oak supposed to smell like baked beans?

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 12, 2020

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Doing a bit of secret santa work. Turns out, resawing oak with a table saw and hand saw, oof, a lot of work.

There are many types of oak and most of them smell awful.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My ash smells like urine when I'm sawing it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Maybe English oak smells like English baked beans. Can't say I've experienced either.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Red oak smells like dog poo poo, white oak smells like delicious bourbon. English/European oak is in the white oak group so presumably it smells more like bourbon/wine than dog poo but ????

Ash does smell like piss but I kind of like the smell. Sapele might be my favorite smelling wood.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Red oak smells like dog poo poo, white oak smells like delicious bourbon. English/European oak is in the white oak group so presumably it smells more like bourbon/wine than dog poo but ????

Ash does smell like piss but I kind of like the smell. Sapele might be my favorite smelling wood.

Frankly, delicious bourbon smells like white oak.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Purpleheart smells like burning dog poo poo.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Best part of making my workbench/sawbench was the smell of doug fir. :kiddo:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

CommonShore posted:

Sometimes it smells like old dried up ketchup to me, but ash varies kind of wildly in smell. It's weird stuff.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

CommonShore posted:

I just bought some ash to make some floating shelves :stonk:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Super Waffle posted:

I just bought some ash to make some floating shelves :stonk:

It only smells that way when sawing it. I can put my face right into a big plank and take a sniff and it's just nice and woody.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
This conversation is but one reason why I'd build everything with cherry if I could (aside from probably staked furniture).

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Working with Mesquite/Pecan smells like BBQ

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Maple, Pecan/Hickory, and Cherry are probably the nicest common hardwoods on my nose. Cedar smells fine too but I try hard not to breathe it. Is there anything else that people like?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Walnut smells great and very unique, but a lot of people have a stronger than usual reaction to the dust.

e: black locust smells kind of wonderful to me, but it's also not fun to work with so,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hypnolobster posted:

Walnut smells great and very unique, but a lot of people have a stronger than usual reaction to the dust.

e: black locust smells kind of wonderful to me, but it's also not fun to work with so,

I love that walnut smell too. And cherry.

Some exotics smell really crazy. Ceylon satinwood smells like Malibu rum/fake coconut and all the rosewoods (and padouk) smell delicious. They remind me of birthday cake or something. Imbuye (umbuye?) smells really spicy but makes me sneeze for about 3 days.