Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

There's a demo of the first chapter.

I ripped through it and it is super rad and satisfying, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve intentionally avoided the demo cause I’ll get mad the full game’s not out.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve intentionally avoided the demo cause I’ll get mad the full game’s not out.
But you can start leveling up and forging awesome gear!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing AC Odyssey lately and I just climbed straight up a cliff, inside a raging waterfall, all without slipping even once. There's plenty I like more about BotW's movement, but man it feels good to just be able to climb without ever having to think about whether or not the surface is wet.

Also I was not expecting it to throw all sorts of weapons at you without any kind of degradation system. So instead of treating weapons as a sort-of ammo, now weapons are basically just a constant disposable income source. Both feel kind of clunky, but I like not having to think about them breaking mid-fight.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been playing AC Odyssey lately and I just climbed straight up a cliff, inside a raging waterfall, all without slipping even once. There's plenty I like more about BotW's movement, but man it feels good to just be able to climb without ever having to think about whether or not the surface is wet.

Also I was not expecting it to throw all sorts of weapons at you without any kind of degradation system. So instead of treating weapons as a sort-of ammo, now weapons are basically just a constant disposable income source. Both feel kind of clunky, but I like not having to think about them breaking mid-fight.

Yeah, that is a weird open world because you can deffo swim (minus sharks) from one end of the map to the other after you get out of a couple unlocks.

You just don't want to.

Missing a hang glider but yeah you only have to keep the purple and gold weapons at the end of the day. Use the rest to upgrade the best.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I haven't been paying attention, but are there any reasonably credible rumours for more HD re-realeases or just OoT/MM ports floating around?
I know it's been the brink of an apocalypse for a year (or 4) now, but come on Nintendo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RickRogers posted:

I haven't been paying attention, but are there any reasonably credible rumours for more HD re-realeases or just OoT/MM ports floating around?
I know it's been the brink of an apocalypse for a year (or 4) now, but come on Nintendo.

The credible idea is that next year they will celebrate the Zelda 35th and so probably release a bunch of things

There is no real rumor per se beyond the obvious

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
everyone gets their own Tingle from the Cloning Vats

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’d imagine we will at least get barebones ports of OoT, MM, and WW a la Mario 3D All-Stars now that Nintendo has in-house emulators to do so, I read somewhere that someone already cracked the Wii emulator and got Twilight Princess running on it fairly well

HD remakes of all would be preferred though, now that Nintendo’s not in so much of a rush to get it out the door like with SM3dAS

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

For wind waker and Twilight, they would absolutely sell the HD versions that already came out on WiiU, it’s a no brainer. Look at how many other WiiU games they’ve straight up released on Switch.

I’m not so sure about the 3DS versions of Ocarina and Majora, those would likely take more effort to port as I believe they were built from the ground up for the 3DS hardware. It’s more likely that they’d do the same thing they did for Mario 64, run rhe original N64 versions in a higher resolution and update some of the key textures, etc. But who knows.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
a princess zelda themed Hidden Things finder where finding things allows you to grow pretty flowers in a garden. also it's released on mobile only. the real money item shop only provides cosmetic upgrades and somehow manages to earn, in a single quarter, more money than exists on earth.

edit- tingle themed erotic visual novel. Pikmin, but Dekus.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I haven’t really had to itch to playthrough Link’s Awakening again although I’ll probably buy it on sale but I would stupidly pay full price for Windwaker on Switch in a heartbeat

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Links awakening switch remake was good, especially if you have nostalgia for the original. But as a stand-alone Zelda game it has a lot of warts, but only because the source material was a game boy game. If you’re a fan of top down Zelda, it’s absolutely worth full price. Nintendo typically only does eshop sales for its big AAA games like twice a year. Black Friday / Christmas and then sometime in the summer. If Links awakening gets a sale (and there’s no guarantee it will), it would only be like $5-$10 off. Sometimes you can catch a big box store discounting the physical version if they’re trying to dump stock, but that’s a crap shoot too.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven’t really had to itch to playthrough Link’s Awakening again although I’ll probably buy it on sale but I would stupidly pay full price for Windwaker on Switch in a heartbeat

:same: if it’s the HD version. I already have the original but poo poo, I’d pay full price to get a better version on a better console

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
For whatever reason, the boss fight in Ikana castle reminded me of Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls.

Not sure if I like the Stone Tower. It doesn’t seem very interesting visually, at least so far.

Question: do you have to talk to the scarecrow at every cycle or am I just misremembering the scarecrow song I played in the beginning?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You gotta talk to the scarecrow each cycle.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Smol posted:

For whatever reason, the boss fight in Ikana castle reminded me of Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls.

Not sure if I like the Stone Tower. It doesn’t seem very interesting visually, at least so far.

Question: do you have to talk to the scarecrow at every cycle or am I just misremembering the scarecrow song I played in the beginning?

you can play the song of time with each note played twice to skip ahead in time, or you can play it backwards to slow time down

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

^^^ scarecrow song is the one to make him appear as a target

Smol posted:

Yes, you have to talk to the scarecrow every loop, he doesn't remember.

Stone Tower has one of my favourite theme tunes but the constant statue-making is pretty tedious.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Ah of course, the temple is a separate area from the Stone Tower. This place seems more interesting.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Stonetower/Ikana is so loving weird, like it feels actively hostile towards you being there. I love it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stone Tower Temple is one of my all time favorite dungeons, but it does suffer from clunkiness at times.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Anyone ever play 3D Dot Game Heroes? It's great. They should re-release that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/the_first_review_for_hyrule_warriors_age_of_calamity_is_now_in

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

What did they give the previous Hyrule Warriors? Everything I've seen makes it look very similar, but wondering if they changed anything up dramatically.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

pooch516 posted:

What did they give the previous Hyrule Warriors? Everything I've seen makes it look very similar, but wondering if they changed anything up dramatically.

https://www.gematsu.com/2014/08/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1340
Hyrule Warriors (Wii U) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My understanding is that particular outlet is as close to being Nintendo state propaganda as possible, but I did enjoy the gameplay. If there are more powerful or complicated enemies towards the end I could see picking it up on sale, but the lack of depth I guess is made up for by having like 40 characters?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought the WiiU version had serious problems so I’m surprised that they gave it such a high rating. The biggest issue I had was not being able to reduce a giant monster’s weak point gauge to zero in one go, since the weak point smash wasn’t guaranteed to kill them so it made getting an A for time on some challenges impossible unless you were massively over-levelled. And the time limit was like 20 minutes, there’s only so many times I will attempt a 20-minute long mission before calling it quits. The improvements made in the 3DS/Switch versions made the game much more manageable. I literally did everything in Definitive Edition and had a blast the whole time.

Edit: the co-op on the WiiU actually made it worse because the system would spawn fewer enemies since it was occupied sending a full game stream to the game pad.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 11, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
did the wii u ever get the dungeon management game it so desperately begged for with that ridiculous rear end tablet accessory?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Famitsu ratings have always been overhyped tbh

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
going to guffaw mightily if it's released to the rousing cheers of an 8.8

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

People hate on it but the Wii U tablet was absolutely :kiss: for the handful of games that made good use of it as a capable interface to supplement the TV screen. Probably the one big missing piece in my enjoyment of the Switch.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Game & Wario was a brilliant game. My friends and I would play drunk Sketch even after the Switch came out. I agree that I wish more developers had figured out cool ways to use it but it was also weird as hell.

This is relevant because the Shiekah Slate was originally gonna be the WiiU game pad. RIP the WiiU, what a weird system.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I probably should watch Hilda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj9Urr5Ia2c

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I beat the Stone Temple boss, so I suppose I’m almost at the endgame. Trying to finish unresolved quests right now. I made some progress in the Anju & Kafei quest by getting into Sakon’s hideout, but I suppose I wasn’t quick enough with the puzzles to save the mask. I’ll have to try that again tomorrow...

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is relevant because the Shiekah Slate was originally gonna be the WiiU game pad. RIP the WiiU, what a weird system.

I do think they should push an update that allows you to use one Switch as a WiiU-style controller for another Switch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sarcastro posted:

I do think they should push an update that allows you to use one Switch as a WiiU-style controller for another Switch.

This would make the UI take .03 seconds longer to load

DENIED

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Smol posted:

I beat the Stone Temple boss, so I suppose I’m almost at the endgame. Trying to finish unresolved quests right now. I made some progress in the Anju & Kafei quest by getting into Sakon’s hideout, but I suppose I wasn’t quick enough with the puzzles to save the mask. I’ll have to try that again tomorrow...

Oof, yeah I hate when that happens.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Smol posted:

I think you mean you'll have to try it again yesterday.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Smol posted:

I am sorry for your loss.

I am pretty sure I messed up the chain once by just not hiding properly and he wouldn't go into his lair. Also, if you have the gamecube ported version then there is always the random chance that the game just freezes/dies at random moments.

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'll always have flashbacks fond memories of the time Majora's Mask crashed in the span of time between collecting the last Stone Tower stray fairy and collecting the reward.