Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Serperoth posted:

Also Terry was the absolute nerd king, wasn't he?

He loved to play Oblivion, and actually helped write some of the dialogue for a follower mod. It eventually got ported into Skyrim, too, and it's the one mod I always install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I laughed so hard during an episode of AEW Dark where the commentators were joking around and one dropped 'it was a pune or play on words' because that's still one of the bits in Discworld that always kills me.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Testekill posted:

I laughed so hard during an episode of AEW Dark where the commentators were joking around and one dropped 'it was a pune or play on words' because that's still one of the bits in Discworld that always kills me.

I might well have died from shock laughter hearing that reference on a wrestling program.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I have started a big Discworld reread for the holidays. I began with Guards! Guards! And will be reading in publication order.

I’m wrapping up GG now. This book is wonderful. It’s fascinating just how well it sets up the main A-M characters, not just the watch.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Sky Announce Animated Film Adaptation Of Terry Pratchett’s ‘The Amazing Maurice’ Coming 2022

Article mentions some of the VAs for the characters, such as Hugh Laurie as Maurice.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Sky Announce Animated Film Adaptation Of Terry Pratchett’s ‘The Amazing Maurice’ Coming 2022

Article mentions some of the VAs for the characters, such as Hugh Laurie as Maurice.

I thought there was going to be an adaption ages ago

Ednamamame
Dec 12, 2019

"The film has the full support of the Terry Pratchett estate." It's sad this is a thing that needs to be made clear these days.

There's a pic on the animation studio's website here https://ulyssesfilms.de/en/the-amazing-maurice.html. While I'm 2D animation for life, it looks like it should be nicely stylised.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ednamamame posted:

"The film has the full support of the Terry Pratchett estate." It's sad this is a thing that needs to be made clear these days.

There's a pic on the animation studio's website here https://ulyssesfilms.de/en/the-amazing-maurice.html. While I'm 2D animation for life, it looks like it should be nicely stylised.

Do a shot every time Maurice makes the PixarDreamWorks face to get cirrhosis of the liver in 30 minutes.

e: My mum bought me the book when I was what, 23? Bless her heart.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 7, 2020

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do a shot every time Maurice makes the PixarDreamWorks face to get cirrhosis of the liver in 30 minutes.

If you didn't buy yourself a copy of Where's My Cow?, I don't even know what to say.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

If you didn't buy yourself a copy of Where's My Cow?, I don't even know what to say.

I know they're all children's books but why would I buy a one-joke novelty children's book in my adult years :confused: It's like watching Vili Vilperi because you like Elina Salo.

e: Especially since she didn't voice Vili Vilperi :psyduck: I'm Berensteining really hard right now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I know they're all children's books but why would I buy a one-joke novelty children's book in my adult years :confused: It's like watching Vili Vilperi because you like Elina Salo.

e: Especially since she didn't voice Vili Vilperi :psyduck: I'm Berensteining really hard right now.

I don't know what to say.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

honestly seems like it's a perfect, Terry-at-his-best-level children's book for kids and stoners alike

e: going entirely from the description in the mainline book i don't own it myself

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Pterry always used to say that you could tell which of his books were written for children because they were darker and had less jokes in.

Also I re-read Maurice last month and it still holds up, so I have no idea what your beef is.

TriggerHappyMarie
Sep 15, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

My boyfriend bought me Where’s My Cow? for Christmas; we’re over 30 with no kids. Short story shorter I agree with your statement.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jedit posted:

Pterry always used to say that you could tell which of his books were written for children because they were darker and had less jokes in.

Also I re-read Maurice last month and it still holds up, so I have no idea what your beef is.

perhaps some adults enjoy reading books written for adults

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ChubbyChecker posted:

perhaps some adults enjoy reading books written for adults

Any adult who can't still take some pleasure in childish things has lost something fundamental and important to their humanity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can't enjoy your posts so I guess I've lost it.

e: But it's cool a moderator says that people who don't read children's books are literally sub-human. Great, even.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 9, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

for the first time in many moons i agree with liquid communism

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s okay to not be interested in children’s books but the difference between Pratchett’s books for younger readers and the books meant for adults is pretty small

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I can't enjoy your posts so I guess I've lost it.

e: But it's cool a moderator says that people who don't read children's books are literally sub-human. Great, even.

Oh I see, you’re just really bad at reading. Tell us more, here in the Pratchett thread, how dumb it is to buy Pratchett books.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s okay to not be interested in children’s books but the difference between Pratchett’s books for younger readers and the books meant for adults is pretty small

I disagree because I don't find the former anywhere near funny enough. You need the humour to balance the extreme sentimentality. (I like the sentimentality in the "general" Discworld books, because it's portioned in a way that it doesn't drown out everything else.)

e: I'm not talking about the poo and cow books, I have no idea how sentimental they might be.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 9, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

maybe they're just going over your head.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Christ.

You know that every author, including Saint PTerry has their share of bad books, right? If someone doesn't enjoy a selection, it's entirely possible these books are not for them, if not (*gasp*) objectively not very good.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Xander77 posted:

Christ.

You know that every author, including Saint PTerry has their share of bad books, right? If someone doesn't enjoy a selection, it's entirely possible these books are not for them, if not (*gasp*) objectively not very good.

Let's use our reading comprehension skills here, that's not the claim being made. 3D Megadoodoo isn't saying that some of Pterry's works are less good than others, but rather blanketly saying all works written for a younger audience are bad. Which is false on the face of it, unless you want to get into cringey reddit poo poo. Really, you of all people should know the lasting power of harry potter. :p

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Liquid Communism posted:

Any adult who can't still take some pleasure in childish things has lost something fundamental and important to their humanity.

manchildren aren't the pinnacle of humanity

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

It’s me! Posting on page 256 of a thread about an author that wrote a good amount of young adult books saying people who enjoy those books are “manchildren”. It’s the goonest thing I have ever seen. You guys are making Lowtax very proud.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

manchildren aren't the pinnacle of humanity

You're acting like taking pleasure in something means to define yourself by it. I would think poorly of any adult who thought you can live on pizza and ice cream, too, but that doesn't mean that adults cannot enjoy them.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jedit posted:

You're acting like taking pleasure in something means to define yourself by it. I would think poorly of any adult who thought you can live on pizza and ice cream, too, but that doesn't mean that adults cannot enjoy them.

quoting myself from earlier:

ChubbyChecker posted:

you are a prime example of a type of people this forum is unfortunately teeming with. you people have built your personality around consumer products, and think that criticisms of the products are personal attacks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
What is it you're getting out of Pratchett if this is how you've ended up?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

Kramering in to say “I don’t like thing” and criticism aren’t the same thing despite what the SA forums might have taught you.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

ChubbyChecker posted:

You didn't criticise the product, you called people who do like the product manchildren. That's definitely a personal attack and has nothing to do with consumerism or whatever insipid justification you're using to mask your cry for attention.

Don't quote yourself in future, just try to say new things that aren't embarrassing.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The prime target audiences for "young adult" fantasy and regular fantasy are only different by like 3 years. Most of the world thinks all books that have dragons and wizards in them are for children (with the possible exception of books written by people with R.R. in their name). Don't act like you're high and mighty because you shun those targeted at 12-year-olds and enjoy those targeted at 15-year-olds.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

hanales posted:

Kramering in to say “I don’t like thing” and criticism aren’t the same thing despite what the SA forums might have taught you.

What’s even more embarrassing is that Jonathan Jones has already done this shtick, and did it better/worse.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

le epic troll has *checks note* rustled our jimmies

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've made it through Eric, Reaper Man, and Witches Abroad in my Discworld re-read.

Of the these three, Reaper Man is far and away the best. There's a reason it's quoted in the thread title. The scene at the end where he dances with his landlady is just so sweet.

Eric just sort of exists. Eh.

I'm honestly surprised how much I didn't like Witches Abroad this time around. It was fun, but it was repetitive. The witches make fun of Magrat, don't understand the locals, and foil a little story. Wash and repeat.

The best scenes, by far, are Granny Weatherwax taking out the card sharps and, later, confronting Lily. Her anger at being forced to be the good witch is a defining character moment. Pratchett really leans into this "a good witch by nature and a bad witch by inclination" thing hard from here on, and it's a great foundational concept.

Now on to Small Gods, which I've long considered to be the best Discworld book.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I've made it through Eric, Reaper Man, and Witches Abroad in my Discworld re-read.

Of the these three, Reaper Man is far and away the best. There's a reason it's quoted in the thread title. The scene at the end where he dances with his landlady is just so sweet.

Eric just sort of exists. Eh.

I'm honestly surprised how much I didn't like Witches Abroad this time around. It was fun, but it was repetitive. The witches make fun of Magrat, don't understand the locals, and foil a little story. Wash and repeat.

The best scenes, by far, are Granny Weatherwax taking out the card sharps and, later, confronting Lily. Her anger at being forced to be the good witch is a defining character moment. Pratchett really leans into this "a good witch by nature and a bad witch by inclination" thing hard from here on, and it's a great foundational concept.

Now on to Small Gods, which I've long considered to be the best Discworld book.

Counter point:
No vampire have ever been resurrected from the stomach of a cat.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cardiac posted:

Counter point:
No vampire have ever been resurrected from the stomach of a cat.

It's a cute joke, but a "real" vampire would have changed back before being eaten.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Counter counter point: they can be resurrected when they exit the cat.
That's gonna be a angry and smelly vampire

Just a Igor following a cat around with a litter box and a little shovel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you resurrect a vampire, won't they stop being a vampire?