Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Been watching a youtube channel of some Silicon Valley tech dumbass who bought an abandoned mining town on the mountain above where they filmed Tremors. He's obsessed with finding old Levis and will eventually die in a cave-in because he keeps going into the mine and disturbing boxes full of blasting caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZulDyerzrA

Pro-watch if you like fascinating youtube people.

Lmao at that video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

comedyblissoption posted:

bitcoin has value and is a commodity just like gold

[citation needed]

I will grant that sentence is true for certain very specific definitions of nearly all the words in it, but it's also intentionally misleading/dumb

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

when you realize bitcoin and gold is the same is when you crack ping further

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TT was extremely correct in his portrayal of goldbuggery.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

comedyblissoption posted:

when you realize bitcoin and gold is the same is when you crack ping further

oh ok you are just on drugs

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Bloop posted:

oh ok you are just on drugs

i think it is more of a joke about how they are both hoarded by libertarians for the same reasons that only they care about

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
there is a huge difference between gold and bitcoins. when you want more gold you dig a hole into the earth and get some gold out. when you want some more bitcoins you dig a hole into the Eternal Realm of Forms and get some NUMBER out.

completely different

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Many people do treat them the same stupid ways. Bitcoin certainly WANTS to be gold. Gold being tangible and intrinsically useful for various things kind of sets it apart though

Bitcoin is a scam, some people can be on the winning side of the scam. Selling gold on Fox news is the same kind of scam, but that doesn't make gold, in and of itself, a scam, where bitcoin will never be anything else

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If nothing else, at the end of the day, you can hit someone with a hunk of gold. How does bitcoin fare as a melee weapon?

Serf
May 5, 2011

what you idiots don't realize is that someday bitcoins will be food for roko's basilisk so get 'em while you can

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

what you idiots don't realize is that someday bitcoins will be food for roko's basilisk so get 'em while you can

An autophagistic prophecy

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Skippy McPants posted:

If nothing else, at the end of the day, you can hit someone with a hunk of gold. How does bitcoin fare as a melee weapon?

very poorly but given its impact on global warming you probably kill more people with the bitcoin regardless

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

Kitfox88 posted:

It's great out there for a leftist furry. :ussr:

yo, what's your take on this article that's partly about alt-right furries?

https://medium.com/@DeoTasDevil/how-white-nationalism-courts-internet-nerd-culture-b4ebad07863d

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If push comes to shove you could always fashion your bitcoins into decorative jewelry to make you high status clear to everyone.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

If push comes to shove you could always fashion your bitcoins into decorative jewelry to make you high status clear to everyone.

My second life character is just festooned with dogecoin it's great

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gold is actually useful as material. It doesn't rust, so good for jewelry and stuff, but also useful in electronics manufacturing.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Skippy McPants posted:

store your wallet on one of those old rear end hard drives that weighs like 15 pounds

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Giga Gaia posted:

store your wallet on one of those old rear end hard drives that weighs like 15 pounds

maybe core rope memory could be used as a whip?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gold is actually useful as material. It doesn't rust, so good for jewelry and stuff, but also useful in electronics manufacturing.

Gold is valuable because it is relatively inert, dense and rare enough to be ideal as a storage material for wealth. Cultures old and new have had different solutions for physical representations of wealth, gold did a pretty good job of it, so it stuck around and spread.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

a gig economy app for taking advantage of vital organ arbitrage. extremely lovely cyberpunk dystopia

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
livr.biz

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Overland campers like that have always been a thing, many built on larger commercial trucks or military or industrial vehicles.

It didn't seem that bad until I saw the base price for a no frills model $650,000

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Been watching a youtube channel of some Silicon Valley tech dumbass who bought an abandoned mining town on the mountain above where they filmed Tremors. He's obsessed with finding old Levis and will eventually die in a cave-in because he keeps going into the mine and disturbing boxes full of blasting caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZulDyerzrA

Pro-watch if you like fascinating youtube people.
He posts about it on Reddit and seems to be a decent person.

bike tory posted:

Isn't there gold in like every microprocessor in the world? Seems pretty useful imo.
A few years ago when the gold bubble was peaking, I got $150 selling 286.386.486 to an e-scrap business that paid 85% of melt value.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Nothus posted:

The best part was when he accidentally burned down the hotel he was restoring, thus ending his plans to make it a tourist destination. I think he started rooting around the mine for trash shortly afterwards.
Will give him a pass on this one because it seems the place burned due to generations of bootleg wiring from other people trying to renovate or flip the property and nothing he really did (other that actually using said bootleg wiring)

Dude doesn't seem like he's bad, just sort of clueless about how much work that place is gonna be. Can't wait to find out what he does in the dead of winter when theres like 3 feet of snow up there and no heat.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

'buying a ghost town' is one of those ideas I would totally be dumb enough to think I could pull off if I had enough money to burn. Then I would die in a mine and haunt the place, increasing the value for the next idiot.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Twitter just threw a tweet from Seth Rogan in my timeline and under the category "Famous comedians", like they're just going to throw random categories in my timeline to try to spice it up unless I find some obscure setting, and then I x'd out of it

"Interests: These are some of the interests matched to you based on your profile, activity, and the Topics you follow. These are used to personalize your experience across Twitter, including the ads you see. You can adjust your interests if something doesn’t look right. Any changes you make may take a little while to go into effect."

and then there are 1000 checkboxes with no "uncheck all" button.

I only want to see accounts that I've followed. How do I do that? :corsair: I'm already using AdBlock Plus. I don't trust accounts suggestions from "the algorithm" not to be subtly brainwashing me like an ad

loving tech companies always mess even their interfaces up.

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Nov 10, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Twitter's much more usable if you just have bookmarks to the accounts you like and don't have an account at all.

MonsieurChoc posted:

lol at the idea of people 1000+ years ago being like "this will be useful to future hypothetical lightning-wizards, we must value it accordingly"

Tulip has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Nov 10, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

galenanorth posted:

Twitter just threw a tweet from Seth Rogan in my timeline and under the category "Famous comedians", like they're just going to throw random categories in my timeline to try to spice it up unless I find some obscure setting, and then I x'd out of it

"Interests: These are some of the interests matched to you based on your profile, activity, and the Topics you follow. These are used to personalize your experience across Twitter, including the ads you see. You can adjust your interests if something doesn’t look right. Any changes you make may take a little while to go into effect."

and then there are 1000 checkboxes with no "uncheck all" button.

I only want to see accounts that I've followed. How do I do that? :corsair: I'm already using AdBlock Plus

loving tech companies always mess even their interfaces up

Using Twitters website is a chumps game. If you're on a computer use the Tweetdeck fork Tweeten. If on a phone use something like Plume / Fenix. gently caress letting the algorithm decide what you want to see.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tulip posted:

Twitter's much more usable if you just don't.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

bike tory posted:

Trump's team wanted to book the Four Seasons Hotel for a presser but the hotel refused to take the booking, so they booked Four Seasons Landscaping, a random landscape gardening shop in the middle of nowhere instead.

OK that's loving funny, thank you.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Facebook Aunt posted:

You just have to trust that your government isn't going to go insane.

That''s the rub of it though isn't it?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Inceltown posted:

Using Twitters website is a chumps game. If you're on a computer use the Tweetdeck fork Tweeten. If on a phone use something like Plume / Fenix. gently caress letting the algorithm decide what you want to see.

Twitterrific gets my vote for iOS / macOS.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There is gold in pawnshops today that was mined by ancient Egyptians. It can be melted down and reforged indefinitely. The value of a Bitcoin is basically the total amount of money invested by idiots into Bitcoin, divided by the number of Bitcoins actively floating around the cybereconomy.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Bitcoin is endlessly dumb for lots of reasons, but perhaps my favorite is the contradiction between people wanting it to act as a commodity/stock verses its ostensible use as a currency. Its proponents get really excited when the price is increasing, the faster the better, and this is a large part of its popularity. People see it as something they can buy, hold, and then later sell at a higher price. But when taken as a currency, this is deflationary behavior which in mainstream economics is considered highly undesirable for a currency since it decreases people's incentive to spend it.

Now that I think about it though, this perhaps would be useful in a degrowth-focused economic system. If we can just fix the CO2 output from mining the stuff we may have our silverbitcoin-bullet for solving climate change!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gods_Butthole posted:

this is deflationary behavior which in mainstream economics is considered highly undesirable for a currency since it decreases people's incentive to spend it

That's part of it but the much bigger problem with deflation is that it effectively makes lending and borrowing money impossible. It limits purchasing to things which can be paid in full at time of purchase.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

PuErhTeabag posted:

yo, what's your take on this article that's partly about alt-right furries?

https://medium.com/@DeoTasDevil/how-white-nationalism-courts-internet-nerd-culture-b4ebad07863d

The early part is entirely correct that a lonely dude who feels like an outcast is ripe for recruitment in most cases. If it hadn't been for SA and a close group of friends I got from here in my very early 20s there's a pretty solid chance I'd have fallen into the 4chan hate pool and not been able to climb out, even though I'm a gay furry with gender issues. :v: Nothing is your fault, everything is THEIR fault, and the fact you're white means you're better by default. Even though you're a gay furry freak you're still better than a black guy and whatnot. The memes thing is also 100% correct and all you need to do to prove that is spend an hour or two on /pol/ right now, where you'll see at least one or two threads about how the left can't meme and all they do is steal /pol/'s superior memes and put a red maga hat on them and discussing how their sense of humor makes them superior to normie NPCs. Honestly, hang out on /pol/ for a day or two and you can see examples of virtually everything discussed in the article to one level or another, even right now while they're screaming about the election. The Deus Vult holy war poo poo, the dumb white genocide crap, nonthreatening clownworld memes, threads talking about how we just need to ship all the blacks back to africa and let them have it to ruin while we soar ever higher without their influence, etc.

Luckily the furry community, at least, is fairly good about policing openly fash people out of it with regularity, at least to a degree higher than a lot of other 'nerdy outsider' groups tend to. Granted, that leads to stuff like the furry equivalent of Kiwifarms where it's just nazifurs hanging out throwing memes at each other and talking about how good they are, but they're isolated and shunned from the community at large (as they should be). I can't tell you why the furry community is more active with policing out fash myself but I do appreciate it. Even if we can be ~cringe as gently caress~ sometimes.

Kitfox88 has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Nov 10, 2020

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

I can't tell you why the furry community is more active with policing out fash myself but I do appreciate it. Even if we can be ~cringe as gently caress~ sometimes.

Because some of the more historically educated in your community realized that in an actual fascist regime, you would be third in line for the gas chamber.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kitfox88 posted:

I can't tell you why the furry community is more active with policing out fash myself but I do appreciate it. Even if we can be ~cringe as gently caress~ sometimes.

I'd suspect the reason is similar to the question of "if [is furry] and [is nazi] are independent variables then why are [nazi furries] so much more visible, or even a noteworthy thing at all?" as came up in another thread ages ago.

tldr: it's because they're cringe as gently caress.

What's the difference between "a group of people" and "a community"?

My (baseless) conjecture is that communities of furries, not unlike those of disaster/trauma survivors or foxhole buddies or other similar associations among people who have been forced to share their most embarrassing/vulnerable/bloody/whatever ~feels~, unconsciously develop a a higher baseline trust/empathy/camaraderie among themselves. Fraternity and gang initiations (and military indoctrination) are often intended to invoke this effect by putting recruits into stressful/awkward situations.

Among other consequences this would lead to reduced fear of judgment/rejection (since others have already accepted them as brothers-in-arms freaky-comrades-in-tentacles) and lower inhibition against expressing potentially-contentious(?) opinions, such as saying "no, that is unacceptable"

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

silentsnack posted:

Among other consequences this would lead to reduced fear of judgment/rejection (since others have already accepted them as brothers-in-arms freaky-comrades-in-tentacles) and lower inhibition against expressing potentially-contentious(?) opinions, such as saying "no, that is unacceptable"
like that guy who demanded his roommates jerk him off or he would kill himself and they were like, drat. better stock up on lotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1326333010837446657