Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

She cannot. The whole point of Homelander is he's stronger than everyone else.

There is no data to back this up. We've never seen him actually fight anyone and they only time he's been successfully attacked in when Kenji buries him in concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

There is no data to back this up. We've never seen him actually fight anyone and they only time he's been successfully attacked in when Kenji buries him in concrete.

Blowing up Homelander's head would completely go against the concept of the character and the narrative for the series. He's a stand-in for the United States, an overpowering super-bully that does whatever it wants, however it wants, whenever it wants, and you can't just defeat it by popping heads.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Blowing up Homelander's head would completely go against the concept of the character and the narrative for the series. He's a stand-in for the United States, an overpowering super-bully that does whatever it wants, however it wants, whenever it wants, and you can't just defeat it by popping heads.

I understand that. What I'm saying is that none of the other supes have really tried to fight him yet so we don't really know how tough he is.

My prediction is that Neuman will eventually try to pop his head and fail because yeah I agree you can't just have someone kill that way so easily. But so far nobody has even tried to do anything to him except Kenji and the wind supe from Homelander's war crime incident.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I understand that. What I'm saying is that none of the other supes have really tried to fight him yet so we don't really know how tough he is.

My prediction is that Neuman will eventually try to pop his head and fail because yeah I agree you can't just have someone kill that way so easily. But so far nobody has even tried to do anything to him except Kenji and the wind supe from Homelander's war crime incident.

Honestly, I kind of want to watch him catch cancer as a result of some Voight company excursion. Like, there's an accident at the V plant that he has to clean up, and it kills all the people and makes him sick. And nobody can cure him because they can't kill any of the cancer cells without, like, a nuke. Instead, the disease weakens him to the point where he is no longer capable of the tyranny that he once was, and a lot of people start seeking revenge. Some successful, some unsuccessful, but always with massive collateral damage that hurts civilians.

Or, the future that Homelander actually cares about, his child grows more and more distant, more and more disgusted with the monster he recognizes. He goes through a violent adolescent period which Homelander is forced to stop, being permanently maimed in the process. Maybe he loses one of his eyes and can't laser beam anymore or something

Either way, Homelander lashes out at the people who can't fix him, can't return him to the super-power that he was one before. He grows delusional over the new supes who are getting more and more powerful.

My resume is available upon request.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 9, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I bought it up because I figured she at least has a shot, as his brain matter could well be less absurdly resistant than his outside matter. I'd be surprised if she ended up just murking him that way unless she they make her character really pivotable to the storyline but the JoJo part of my brain still thinks 'how *would* it go down?'

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just started season 2, and holy gently caress, Patton Oswalt as Deep's Gills during his trip.

This is already way better than season 1. :allears:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

AlternateNu posted:

I just started season 2, and holy gently caress, Patton Oswalt as Deep's Gills during his trip.

I remember when it leaked that he had been cast on the show. So many theories about who he'd be playing.

Nobody uh, guessed that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

You are so beautiful....to me!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Studio posted:

S3 seems like a "Homelander starts to genocide" season

Naw, I think he's really turning things around!

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

multijoe posted:

I bought it up because I figured she at least has a shot, as his brain matter could well be less absurdly resistant than his outside matter.

Although the context is very, very, very different, and TBD obviously, in the comics it definitely was.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

wouldn't that mean instant brain damage the first time anyone punches him harder than baseline human? homelander is tia tequila with superpowers and less taste

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Episode 3.

Ah, yes. Stormfront, the embodiment of racist-rear end white "feminism". I haven't read the comics, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was straight up named after the website.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

AlternateNu posted:

Episode 3.

Ah, yes. Stormfront, the embodiment of racist-rear end white "feminism". I haven't read the comics, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was straight up named after the website.

Geez, c'mon, give her a chance.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Stormfront is a reference to her weather-based powers

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tip posted:

Geez, c'mon, give her a chance.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Alec Eiffel posted:

Stormfront is a reference to her weather-based powers

Sure, because double-entendres don't loving exist. :rolleyes:

Edit:

Episode 4: Well. Didn't expect that bit about Liberty. Seems to muddy the waters a bit much for my taste making a direct/overt connection between modern racist "feminism" and old school lynching racism since it diminishes the evolution that happened in between and allows people to dismiss the fact that the modern evolution is just as bad.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 9, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AlternateNu posted:

Sure, because double-entendres don't loving exist. :rolleyes:

...we've all seen the show lol were messing with u

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

stormfront is basically a cop, how could she possibly be racist?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

T-man posted:

stormfront is basically a cop, how could she possibly be racist?

I mean, not even? Cops still lean on the old idea of law + order and patriotism. I've yet to see cops meme properly. Though, I do love that the primary conflict of the season appears to be 2000's right-wing nationalistic fascism vs 2020's internet troll fascism.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:munch:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

I mean, not even? Cops still lean on the old idea of law + order and patriotism. I've yet to see cops meme properly. Though, I do love that the primary conflict of the season appears to be 2000's right-wing nationalistic fascism vs 2020's internet troll fascism.

I'd say that Stormfront is a pretty spot-on for cops. Keep watching!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

cops protect us from the bad people

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I still say the worst, shocking death at least to me was Mesmer's death in season 1.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Episode 5: The literal incestuous joining of racism and fascism. :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

etalian posted:

I still say the worst, shocking death at least to me was Mesmer's death in season 1.

That scene ruled but I wish he survived because Osment was so good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah not to mention if it was cheesy Marvel movie Mesmer would have used his power to get out the brutal death scene / Make Butcher understand!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm glad Osment is working again. He stopped in the mid-2000s and I didn't see him in anything for years (I'm assuming college?), but it's nice to see a child actor turn out reasonably well adjusted and seemingly a happy, normal person. That doesn't seem to be the norm.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. loving lol. Stormfront is a literal nazi, and not just some shithead racist from the civil rights era? I think I see a shark on the horizon.

Edit: Jesus gently caress. The opening to episode 7. :stare:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 10, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO if Stormfront being a real Nazi is too heavy handed for you but her committing multiple hate crimes on screen is not

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Ok. loving lol. Stormfront is a literal nazi, and not just some shithead racist from the civil rights era? I think I see a shark on the horizon.

Edit: Jesus gently caress. The opening to episode 7. :stare:

There's no shark jumping the show literally tells you in episode 1 of the season that that's where Vought comes from.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bust Rodd posted:

LMAO if Stormfront being a real Nazi is too heavy handed for you but her committing multiple hate crimes on screen is not

It's not a matter of being heavy handed. Its a matter of giving people an out when trying to connect the right wing rhetoric they're mimicking to good 'ole American fascism. I don't think they needed to be so direct with the message because in reality, a lot of this poo poo going on in the US is homegrown.

Alchenar posted:

There's no shark jumping the show literally tells you in episode 1 of the season that that's where Vought comes from.

Yeah. Probably not the correct term. But at the very least, I think it's unnecessary.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

AlternateNu posted:

I think I see a shark on the horizon.

It was in episode 3 and it wasn't a shark.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Another Bill posted:

It was in episode 3 and it wasn't a shark.

Oh, there were definitely sharks in that group. A number of them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

It's not a matter of being heavy handed. Its a matter of giving people an out when trying to connect the right wing rhetoric they're mimicking to good 'ole American fascism. I don't think they needed to be so direct with the message because in reality, a lot of this poo poo going on in the US is homegrown.

Yeah. Probably not the correct term. But at the very least, I think it's unnecessary.

They do loop back around to tying her rhetoric to the current day politics with a pretty good line near the end.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

AlternateNu posted:

The whole point is to let the alt-right and adjacent viewers know that SURPRISE you are actually a nazi and just got an edgy internet memelord and to educate people who might not be aware of that corner of the internet that it exists and if you know people who act like that it might be time to side-eye them for a while.

And Stormfront literally sums up this whole discussion in a single statement: "People love what I have to say, they just don't like the word 'nazi'".

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 10, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Plus the multi-episode long metaphor of Homelander and Stormfront in bed together

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Also, I don't know what the writers have against Almond Joy and Fresca, but I like both those things.

Am I the baddy? :ohdear:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Also, I don't know what the writers have against Almond Joy and Fresca, but I like both those things.

Am I the baddy? :ohdear:

Yes. Next question.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

whats cool about the whole stormfront thing is that it directly parallels things that the US did after WWII, which to some is obvious. stormfront isnt any worse than the things that the us collaborated with nazis with in north or south america. moving around a murderous racist superhero doesnt touch the damage the real american-nazi alliance did. america was and is a horribly racist place. adding nazis to the mix in places of power in our government really refined the brutality and legitimacy of the system.

people looking at stormfront and not seeing how horrible she is immediately points to how ingrained this poo poo is in modern society.

looking back at her scene with atain on the movie set it seemed obvious she was talking about black people and people of color not being allowed into the supes club. in the comic that was a whole story point.

and honestly, goku!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Wait, stormfront is a nazi?? Stormfront? Lovable ol' stormfront?