Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I don't think I could handle a book that is Sanderlanche from start to finish. There'd be so much stuff going on that people still wouldn't have pieced it together before the next book after it came out. It'd be like trying to understand The Diagram on one of Taravangian's worst days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't think I could handle a book that is Sanderlanche from start to finish. There'd be so much stuff going on that people still wouldn't have pieced it together before the next book after it came out. It'd be like trying to understand The Diagram on one of Taravangian's worst days.

I mean, A Memory of Light was drat near start to finish action. Maybe a couple of chapters in each end but everything in the middle just rolled.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay, finished part 4 and the first chapter of part 5.

I really like how Kelsier's death was handled. I was worried it was going to be incredibly melodramatic but it was brutal, sudden, and efficient. I didn't want him to end up in a situation like Marsh. Gruesome deaths always feel really lovely when they happen to main characters. I'm glad it was quick.

The skaa rising up after Kelsier's death worked really well. I had expected that this is what Kelsier's plan was all along, building himself into a messiah figure. I just didn't have the full picture. But there was a lot of foreshadowing for this when twice the book mentioned the old religion that had to be genocided due to the fact they would fight to the last man.

The reveal of what a Condra is was dope af and ties in me wanting mistwraiths to have more of a role. They were all along and I just never knew! Really really like that reveal.

The first chapter of part 5 feels like the point in a heist film where we're shown the mastermind's plan. Very cool. Very emotional. Definitely got some a "gently caress yeah!" from me.

I've realized something about these books (and why I feel they work particularly well as audiobooks) - Maybe it's just because I'm coming off trying to listen to the audiobook of Perdido Street Station, but Sanderson's writing reminds me more of TV/film screenwriting. There's a very cinematic quality to the way he writes. He gives you enough detail picture a scene but doesn't get overly descriptive in a way that makes you feel like you're spending multiple pages learning about a vine growing up a wall. Combine this with listening to an audiobook, and it just makes the entire novel feel incredibly cinematic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Sanderson is 100000% a writer who plots out mechanics like he's designing a video game and a Mistborn game that plays like Spiderman (or Crackdown :v:) would either be a massive trainwreck or an amazing game.

Or Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell as a stealth/horror game.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Reading Dawnshard left me with two impressions.

First, he really has improved tremendously as a writer in every way possible. He has especially improved in the “show instead of tell” category. There’s still plenty of exposition, but it feels more naturally in-world.

Second, the level of planning that has gone into the Cosmere as a whole is unreal. Seriously. The number of tiny little details that become major plot points three books later just amazes me.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I've always thought that a mix of Dishonored's mechanics and classic Assassin's Creed city design would work for a Mistborn game. Immersive sim stealth action game with open level missions and a huge dense open world map where you play as a mistborn of one of the noble houses.

It will never happen though.

Oh yeah, I forgot if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Sanderson is doing a giveaway of Advance Reading Copies of Rhythm of War on his website, you gotta suscribe to his newsletter and send and email.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Adnor posted:

I've always thought that a mix of Dishonored's mechanics and classic Assassin's Creed city design would work for a Mistborn game. Immersive sim stealth action game with open level missions and a huge dense open world map where you play as a mistborn of one of the noble houses.

It will never happen though.

There actually exist some renders from the cancelled mistborn game project still floating around.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sanderson is 100000% a writer who plots out mechanics like he's designing a video game and a Mistborn game that plays like Spiderman (or Crackdown :v:) would either be a massive trainwreck or an amazing game.

Or Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell as a stealth/horror game.

I imagine a Mistborn game basically being a better Dishonored.

I have two chapters (and the epilogue) left for me to finish tomorrow. I have no idea how all of this resolves in 80 minutes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Adnor posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Sanderson is doing a giveaway of Advance Reading Copies of Rhythm of War on his website, you gotta suscribe to his newsletter and send and email.

I entered this but also I pre-ordered a signed copy from my local book store.. at regular price? But they also had a listing for "Rhythm of War 8-Copy Signed Prepack" for $450 CAD, but none of the listings describe what's included. I'm setting my expectations low but if I actually receive a signed copy I'm going to be stoked

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Dawnshard Spoilers

Am I crazy or is it obvious what the other Dawnshards are? Novella tells us they are commands of a god. If one of them is Change the others seem obvious to me: Create, Destroy, Change, and Sustain. Obviously could be different synonyms for each especially the last (endure, or maintain possibly but sustain sounds most like Sanderson) but point stands. With these four commands and ability to use them you could be god. Each shard could also be categorized with one of these commands too.

insider fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 10, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

insider posted:

Dawnshard Spoilers

Am I crazy or is it obvious what the other Dawnshards are? Novella tells us they are commands of a god. If one of them is Change the others seem obvious to me: Create, Destroy, Change, and Sustain. Obviously could be different synonyms for each especially the last (endure, or maintain possibly but sustain sounds most like Sanderson) but point stands. With these four commands and ability to use them you could be god. Each shard could also be categorized with one of these commands too.

Dawnshard spoilers:

I don't find it that obvious. The problem is Ruin. He himself insisted to not merely be destruction, but change. In contrast to Preservation, who very obviously had a stasis theme going on. So the opposite force claiming to be change makes sense. Which would put Ruin into the Change command Dawnshard, not a hypothetical Destroy Dawnshard. And if you take Ruin out of Destroy, does that command even make sense any more? I'm not sure. Other groupings I've seen proposed are Change, Remain, Unite and Divide for example. There are many ways to go about grouping them, and it certainly doesn't help that we don't know the name of all 16 shards. We'll have to see who's right in the end :)

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Torrannor posted:

Dawnshard spoilers:

I don't find it that obvious. The problem is Ruin. He himself insisted to not merely be destruction, but change. In contrast to Preservation, who very obviously had a stasis theme going on. So the opposite force claiming to be change makes sense. Which would put Ruin into the Change command Dawnshard, not a hypothetical Destroy Dawnshard. And if you take Ruin out of Destroy, does that command even make sense any more? I'm not sure. Other groupings I've seen proposed are Change, Remain, Unite and Divide for example. There are many ways to go about grouping them, and it certainly doesn't help that we don't know the name of all 16 shards. We'll have to see who's right in the end :)

Stil dawnshard

He's definitely kept it vague enough but remember it was a circle split in 4. I think change is on the opposite pie slice as Sustain, and Create opposite destroy. If a shard is in one pie slice but next to the edge some of that bleeds over. So yes I think Ruin is in the change slice but it borders the Destroy pie slice. Cultivation would also be in the change slice but bordering creation. Honestly if we just had like two more confirmed shard names I think we could figure it out. I might even try to put together a pie chart tomorrow.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Dawnshard spoilers:

insider posted:

Stil dawnshard

He's definitely kept it vague enough but remember it was a circle split in 4. I think change is on the opposite pie slice as Sustain, and Create opposite destroy. If a shard is in one pie slice but next to the edge some of that bleeds over. So yes I think Ruin is in the change slice but it borders the Destroy pie slice. Cultivation would also be in the change slice but bordering creation. Honestly if we just had like two more confirmed shard names I think we could figure it out. I might even try to put together a pie chart tomorrow.

i think that categorization system makes sense but it's easy to use with Ruin and Cultivation and Preservation, the much harder ones to fit in there are Dominion and Devotion and Ambition and Autonomy

if you had a UNITE/DIVIDE it would be much easier to fit in Honor, Dominion, Devotion (Unite) and Autonomy, Ambition (Divide (autonomy is literally dividing herself across the cosmere))

also, it'd go a long way to explaining what the gently caress is going on with Dalinar, the visions from Nohadon that Honor didn't send (which include the same comforting golden light Rysn sees), the "I am Unity" thing, why Odium says he capital-A Ascended, etc.

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 10, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One Rhythm of War reviewer just said that she always felt that you don't have to have read other Cosmere works before reading Stormlight, even if she recommends reading Warbreaker before WoR or before Oathbreaker. She now says that you should read most/all of the other Cosmere works, as "there quite heavy tie ins in Rhythm of War."

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Obviously I haven't read it so I can't fully weigh in, but like every single RoW epigraph so far has been huge teasers for Mistborn so yea I think I can get behind that

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Dawnshard

Apparently there are theories for both UNITE and SURVIVE to be dawnshard commands. Unite because of dalinar's visions, survive because of some things that Kelsier mentions/hears.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Oathkeeper and Dawnshard spoilers

"He's going to fall," Renarin whispered. "He's already fallen. He belongs to the enemy now. Dalinar Kholin ... is no more."

Nearer to her (Venli), Dalinar Kholin - the man who had resisted - slumped forward, head bowed, holding one hand against his chest and trembling.

Odium stepped back, his appearance that of a parshman with golden carapace. "It is done," he said, looking toward Venli and the gathered group of Fused. "You have a leader."

Something stirred inside of Dalinar. A warmth that he had known once before. A warm, calming light.

Unite them.

"I will take responsibility for what I have done," Dalinar whispered.

UNITE THEM!

Dalinar thrust his left hand to the side, ... grabbing ... the realm of thought.

He thrust his right hand to the other side, touching ... something that ... was all places in one.

... A young parshwoman, the one that Dalinar had visited in the visions.

"What are you?" she whispered ...

He closed his eyes, breathing out, listening to a sudden stillness. And within it a simple, quiet voice. A woman's voice, so familiar to him.

I forgive you.

Dalinar opened his eyes, and knew what the parshwoman saw in him. Swirling clouds, glowing light, thunder and lightning.

"I am Unity."

He slammed both hands together.

And combined three realms in one.

"Honor's Perpendicularity," Syl whispered. "A well of power that pierces all three realms."

"No!" Odium screamed. He stepped forward. "No, we killed you. We killed you!"

I keep coming back to that scene, lot of common elements, different words that keep coming up, golden light, unexpected powers. Also Odiums freak out seems much more in proportion to Dalinar pulling some Adonalasium poo poo than just Honour poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I didn't see it posted, but Dawnshard is available on Amazon now. Kindle version only and no indication of when (or if) paper version will be available.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd swear the kickstarter updates have mentioned a Dead Tree Format eventually...

Yea --

quote:

Dawnshard and The Way of Kings Prime Physical Books

The Way of Kings Prime is already at the printer where materials have been chosen, and it’s in line to be printed. Dawnshard will be submitted to the printer at the end of next week. With the uncertainty in the world today with COVID and other factors, it’s looking like we won’t receive these books until after the first of the new year.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Obviously I haven't read it so I can't fully weigh in, but like every single RoW epigraph so far has been huge teasers for Mistborn so yea I think I can get behind that

yeah I've also been thinking that the allusions to "way more cosmere stuff" mean we'll finally get like, someone actually using allomancy on camera

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RoW Speculation: hasn't it been confirmed there is a Kandra on Roshar? Maybe we'll finally find out who!

edit; And Dawnshard: Any speculation on what to make of Chiri-Chiri? Particularly what exactly it'll be when fully grown. I don't think anyone talked about it yet :staredog:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 10, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sab669 posted:

edit; And Dawnshard: Any speculation on what to make of Chiri-Chiri? Particularly what exactly it'll be when fully grown. I don't think anyone talked about it yet :staredog:

Dawnshard

I think it's pretty obvious chiri-chiri will become some sort of flying greatshell, fusing new luckspren every couple years. The giant skulls in the cave sounded like the dragon room from game of thrones.

e: it will be interesting to see what abilities they have though, they eat stormlight but there was reference to them consuming all types of investiture or something?

mewse fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 10, 2020

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
New chapter is out.

https://www.tor.com/2020/11/10/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-chapter-nineteen/

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

mewse posted:

Dawnshard

I think it's pretty obvious chiri-chiri will become some sort of flying greatshell, fusing new luckspren every couple years. The giant skulls in the cave sounded like the dragon room from game of thrones.

e: it will be interesting to see what abilities they have though, they eat stormlight but there was reference to them consuming all types of investiture or something?

Dawnshard + Oathbringer

I believe Chiri-chiri in Oathbringer was able to eat the Voidlight from a fused that was stealing the Kings Drop towards the end of the book. I would not be surprised if they were capable of removing any type of Investiture from people, kind of like how Nightblood does. It does make me wonder what would happen if enough larkins were against a Shard though, would they be able to drain enough Investiture that it caused them to be weak enough to be splintered perhaps?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Got an email overnight that Dawnshard was available and is installed on my kindle app now. :toot:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sab669 posted:

RoW Speculation: hasn't it been confirmed there is a Kandra on Roshar? Maybe we'll finally find out who!

Dawnshard

Rysn won’t need that flying chair once she can upgrade to a flying dragon. All negotiations will have to be done outdoors, though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out posted:

yeah I've also been thinking that the allusions to "way more cosmere stuff" mean we'll finally get like, someone actually using allomancy on camera

I mean hoid in that flashback in WoR

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

Dawnshard

Rysn won’t need that flying chair once she can upgrade to a flying dragon. All negotiations will have to be done outdoors, though.

Do you mean like, actual Cosmere dragon, or just generic fantasy dragon "large flying chicken" thing? I've pondered whether larkins might actually be the former, but I don't know much about cosmere dragons and WOB relating to them

Also that was a good weekly chapter and I am very excited for next Tuesday, boys and girls. For those have been reading the weekly chapters, will you start fresh from the beginning or just jumping into where the serialization left off? The latter for myself; I'm too slow of a reader :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 10, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

I mean hoid in that flashback in WoR

lol smh i knew i should've qualified it with like, "that other people know is happening," i took the risk and am now owned

Sab669 posted:

Do you mean like, actual Cosmere dragon, or just generic fantasy dragon "large flying chicken" thing? I've pondered whether larkins might actually be the former, but I don't know much about cosmere dragons and WOB relating to them

someone asked this and he said no, larkins/lanceryns are Rosharan crab-bug-dragons, not related to the proper Yolen kind like Frost that we've never seen but know exist

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 10, 2020

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Also that was a good weekly chapter and I am very excited for next Tuesday, boys and girls. For those have been reading the weekly chapters, will you start fresh from the beginning or just jumping into where the serialization left off? The latter for myself; I'm too slow of a reader :v:

I’m going to skip ahead. I figure I know enough of the plot beats and I’ve read them so recently that it might feel a little tedious to reread them immediately.

Also, more Dawnshard speculation:

Does the text make it clear if all four are all called Dawnshards? I could see there being a Dayshard / Duskshard / Nightshard for good symmetry.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

eke out posted:

lol smh i knew i should've qualified it with like, "that other people know is happening," i took the risk and am now owned

someone asked this and he said no, larkins/lanceryns are Rosharan crab-bug-dragons, not related to the proper Yolen kind like Frost that we've never seen but know exist

Got'chya. That's kinda what I figured but wasn't sure.

MildShow posted:

I’m going to skip ahead. I figure I know enough of the plot beats and I’ve read them so recently that it might feel a little tedious to reread them immediately.

Also, more Dawnshard speculation:

Does the text make it clear if all four are all called Dawnshards? I could see there being a Dayshard / Duskshard / Nightshard for good symmetry.

Preeeetty sure they're all the same

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Dawnshard:

I...didn’t know those existed. I’m imagining the chiri chiri from the dawnshard art but blown up 10-20x, which would be properly terrifying for anyone on Roshar.

Also, what made the Roar that preceded Chiri-chiri’s return?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’m at the point in the story where the music swells and the lyrics kick in.

Edit: I’m still waiting for this earring to be important.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 10, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Me seeing you posted: :D

Me seeing you still haven't finished the book: :argh:

:)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Edit: I’m still waiting for this earring to be important.

hoo boy

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Haha. That's kind of what I suspect. Maybe not this book, but I feel like it'll be important eventually! (Plus, Vin's mom going crazy definitely needs an explanation. I'm sure this will all be important in a later book as I only have 45 minutes left in this one.)

I think that listening to an audiobook definitely helps me pick up on details more since if I was reading this book myself, I'd probably be done in like 10 hours and the audiobook is 25. It gives me time to really ingest and think about every word. It allows me to more easily pick up on things that are often quickly mentioned once and then not mentioned again for chapters. I feel like Sanderson almost built this book like a puzzlebox (I'm assuming his other works are somewhat similar) in that he gives you most of the pieces, but just not the information on how they fit together. Throughout this entire book, I've never felt like I've been duped or lied to. Have there been deceptions and red herrings? Sure, absolutely. But it has never been a situation where "oh this character swoops in with an unknown power/item that has never been mentioned to completely turn the situation around/save the day!"

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think same name for all of them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea Sanderson is much more concrete with his magic systems. Although there's always another secret which can sometimes feel, "Hey wait that's against the rules" :) but then it's generally sufficiently explained to make sense.

Going from Sanderson to Jordan, that was like my biggest complaint. "X is impossible!" then in the next book some character does exactly that, or things not being explained well enough leading to other things feeling "overpowered". All of the magic just felt extremely arbitrary.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It is done. What you have all been waiting for - I have finished Mistborn: The Final Empire. What a complete loving delight that was.

Earlier, I had mentioned the things I wanted to see in the novel:

1- To learn the secrets of/how to kill Steel Inquisitors
2- To see the Pits of Hathsyn
3- Reen to reappear/try to screw over Vin and Vin to dunk on him
4- Something to happen with a Mist Wraith. They've been kind of... nothing? so far.
5- Someone to push too hard with a metal in a way that fucks them up.
6- Someone to use an impure metal and have things go fucky.
7- I'd be curious to learn more about Vin's mother and why she went crazy, but I'm not sure if that's important or will get touched on again

We got #1 at the end. I was satisfied with how #2 was handled as it didn't need to be prolonged sequence there. Just a taste. #3 was even more satisfying. I like that ending for Reen. We got #4 with the Condra. #5, #6, #7 are all ones that were not in this novel but they feel too important to not show up in later novels.

The ending definitely feels like it is setting up The Deepness to return in books 2 & 3. I assume that, from the titles of the next couple novels, Vin will become the Hero of Ages and vanquish the Deepness in book 3.

I really liked the parallel narratives in this novel. I feel like it made things super unique. In a way, it made Rashik feel almost otherworldly because he was the villain of someone else's story.

The Marsh reveal was so loving good. I really liked Marsh and was bummed out by his "death."

Seyzid saving Vin from the prison was great. When she got her metals back and leapt into the fight with the guards to saved Elond, it felt like the moment in a videogame or anime where the lyrics kick in. It was a very good moment.

I've mentioned before that maybe it is just because I listened to the audiobook, but this novel felt incredibly cinematic. There's an... efficiency with the way Sanderson writes. It almost feels detail-lite compared to novels I'm used to (and I mean, to be fair, I haven't read many novels in the past decade). What I mean by "detail-lite" is that I never felt bogged down by scene descriptions. He would give you enough to picture the scene and then it was more about the action. And when I say "the action" in this context, I also mean the dialog.

One of my favorite books is Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. It's a beautiful book with an awesome mystery. But that book also spends at least 50% of the time talking about details. I remember there's like a ten page section in the paperback where he just describes a stained glass window. That's cool and all, but maybe just due to my ADHD, I don't often have the patience for that. I think it is why Perdido Street Station felt so impenetrable to leap into after a long break from books. I work in film and went to undergrad and grad school for it, and Sanderson's writing often makes me think of the pace and flow of screenwriting. Again, maybe it was just due to the audiobook nature of things, but the experience of going through this book felt more like a good TV series than a novel.

Hopes/Expectations/Predictions for the rest of the trilogy.
Like mentioned above, I want to learn more of Vin's mother/the earring. I also want to see someone burn impure metals as well as someone flare too hard with a metal.

In one of my first posts, I mentioned how I got some Diablo 2 vibes from the Lord Ruler. That definitely was enhanced by his final words. My assumption as this point is that The Deepness is still out there either placated or imprisoned somehow.

I assume Atium has something to do with this, as the Lord Ruler's treasury was empty. The book mentioned that the Lord Ruler kept 90% of the Atium. Was this used to empower the seal on The Deepness? Or perhaps The Deepness is sentient and would remain passive so long as it received Atium.

I can only assume that the mists are directly tied to The Deepness. I question if Alloymancy is as well. But I know the later series also has alloymancy, so I question that connection. If book 3 ends with the destruction of The Deepness, then what would that mean for Alloymancy? But again, this is all based off my assumptions of how the series will go.

Also - my fantasy casting (Younger versions of some these actors, obviously):

Kelsier - Kenneth Branagh
Dockson - Stanley Tucci
Breeze - Alfred Molina
Ham - Dave Bautista
Seyzid - Ken Watanabe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I understand you're listening to the audiobook, but it's still bugging me.

Hathsin. Kandra. Sazed.