Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Ram in the mini is not user upgradeable. So that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LegendaryFrog posted:

Yes. Also a $300 upcharge to get the "pro" at the end of your laptop with the same chipset in it.

I really have a hard time imagining the thermal differences in the Pro (a tiny laptop) and the Air (a marginally smaller tiny laptop) are going to be large enough to make the Pro 13 performance notably better.
You never know, they could be throttling the hell out of the MBA one.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm sure it'll come out in the next few days, but I take it M1 and A14 both have Firestorm/Icestorm in them, just the M1 adding 2 more Firestorm cores, and then doubling number of GPU cores?

Also the AnandTech live blog is a bit confusing, I take it they are showing they combined CPU, RAM and TB controller all onto one package?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Let's see some ZBrush demo

edit: ok some 3D stuff thrown a bone.

I’m interested in seeing some actual benchmarks for C4D. I believe all the GPU comparisons were against the Intel integrated GPU. I believe the CPU renderer scales with cores but who knows if the M1 can use all 8 cores at the same time.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

triple sulk posted:

Forgot this was starting when it did. Which is looking like the best value proposition if any?

I guess the Mac Mini? Sliced $100 off the base price for anyone who just has to have a Mac.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch

Interesting, so they replaced the low-end 8th gen Macbook Pros with the Apple silicon macs, but the 10th gen Intel Macbooks are still kicking.

Man $1299 for 8 gigs of ram. Oooooofff

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

So did I understand that right, that ram is now part of the SOC?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like the 13" has shared system/GPU RAM . . . and only goes up to 16GB. That doesn't sound great.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like the 13" has shared system/GPU RAM . . . and only goes up to 16GB. That doesn't sound great.

Gen1 Apple product lol.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

teagone posted:

I was zoning out a bit during the presentation. Does the M1 in the Mac Mini and MacBook Pro have more cores than the Air? Or are they just clocked faster?

I don't think they've actually announced clock speeds for any of the models. The store doesn't have them listed either.

The new Mac Minis also lack the 10gig Ethernet option. Boo.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 10, 2020

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The mini kinda seems like the best value considering the usual Apple bullshit of additional RAM/storage, but that's obviously dependent on if you need the portability or not

$1299 for the 16gb/1tb config

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Wait, so do the new Air, Mini, and MBP have the same SoC? Are the limits mainly thermal/power?

I’m so confused....

Looks like they're all the same except the entry level Macbook Air which has a 7-core GPU compared to the 8-core GPU on every other model.

MarcusSA posted:

Man $1299 for 8 gigs of ram. Oooooofff

That was the same as on the previous Intel, it's fine.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For the first time I regret buying a 2020 Air.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

I am guessing we will get a M1x (or something similar) later for the 16inch pro and imacs that support more ram and more ports. It looks like this M1 only supported two thunderbolt ports.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Spime Wrangler posted:

So did I understand that right, that ram is now part of the SOC?

Yeah, it's on the package. Not user upgradeable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That MBP is a loving joke, right?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think the $1249 Macbook Air is gonna be the sweet spot computer for most people.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
The M1 mini is $200 CAD cheaper than the 6-core i5 version, so really interested to see those comparison benchmarks. $1400 cad for the 16gb 512gb SSD variant which I would consider the min usable spec to not be hamstrung over a few years, so yeah the few who thought that Apple will go for the jugular wrt to price were overly hopeful, as most expected.

The restriction to 16gb max though sucks though, understandable since it's an SOC but that will be a barrier to some workloads.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

badjohny posted:

I am guessing we will get a M1x (or something similar) later for the 16inch pro and imacs that support more ram and more ports. It looks like this M1 only supported two thunderbolt ports.

What's the largest PoP around? I was about to say they'll use the same die but with more I/O, but that would be a more typical CPU package + discrete DRAM package application. Anyone have 32GB with only two DDR4 parts?

M2 I guess would include DDR5 support in the memory controller. When do they start including the WiFi MAC, and the cellular modem they build themselves so every single Apple product comes out of the box able to connect to virtually any available service? That's got to be the endgame.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On the page about the M1 they have examples of great apps you’ll be able to run on the new chip including Sonic Racing mobile version.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That MBP is a loving joke, right?

iPad Air 2020 also makes the iPad Pro look very "hmm" (granted it hasn't been refreshed yet)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

so it looks like they're offering the macbook air with a 7-core GPU version and an 8-core GPU version (which also has higher base storage). I guess we'll have to wait for benchmarks to see if there are any real clock/performance differences between the two chips?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LuckyCat posted:

On the page about the M1 they have examples of great apps you’ll be able to run on the new chip including Sonic Racing mobile version.
I wasn't expecting much but when they showed Baldur's Gate 3 I knew it wasn't gonna be great.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

movax posted:

Yeah, it's on the package. Not user upgradeable.

Yeah I wouldn't expect it since they haven't allowed that for like a decade. More interested in what the performance implications are, if any.

Worrying about sharing ram with the GPU in a 13 inch seems off-base, as that was the status quo anyways.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I think the $1249 Macbook Air is gonna be the sweet spot computer for most people.

Yeah I think they were right to go with the MBA and the Mini for people who insist on desktops for a first gen run. I will expect the MBP to get a faster refresh than those two.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

American McGay posted:

I wasn't expecting much but when they showed Baldur's Gate 3 I knew it wasn't gonna be great.

Every time they showed it I thought, didn't Neverwinter Nights kinda sorta look about this good 20 years ago

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Ok Comboomer posted:

Wait, so do the new Air, Mini, and MBP have the same SoC? Are the limits mainly thermal/power?

I’m so confused....

Also a bigger battery in the MBP from the sound of it. If you need exxxxtreeeeme battery life the MBP is targeting you.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

LuckyCat posted:

Hopefully Blizzard will port Warcraft and World of Warcraft to Apple silicon. Only games I play anymore.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I think they were right to go with the MBA and the Mini for people who insist on desktops for a first gen run. I will expect the MBP to get a faster refresh than those two.

Honestly, with the amount of control they have over the hardware now, I'll be a bit disappointed if any of their lines are allowed to languish in hell as long as they did during the Intel years.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yeah I wouldn't expect it since they haven't allowed that for like a decade. More interested in what the performance implications are, if any.

Worrying about sharing ram with the GPU in a 13 inch seems off-base, as that was the status quo anyways.

It's less that they're going with the shared RAM model, and more that they're doing that with a 16GB maximum in a supposed "pro" computer in 2020. They should at least have offered a 32GB option.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Baronash posted:

Honestly, with the amount of control they have over the hardware now, I'll be a bit disappointed if any of their lines are allowed to languish in hell as long as they did during the Intel years.

Let me tell you about the iPad mini

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Extremely disappointed apple silicon can apparently only drive two total displays. I don't need a single fuckoff 6k monitor, let me drive two additional external 4k or even 1440 monitors off my computer. Also intel MBAs not even on the website anymore so I'll need to call local stores to check inventory for one in the spec I want.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kreeblah posted:

It's less that they're going with the shared RAM model, and more that they're doing that with a 16GB maximum in a supposed "pro" computer in 2020. They should at least have offered a 32GB option.

Idk I think it's probably fine for what I'd be using a 13" computer for.

You shouldn't be working with lots of VMs, large codebases, or big databases locally at that size. And it's fine for any content creation that doesn't involve heavy post-processing/animations or tens of hundreds/thousands?? of layers.

People still get weird about RAM but I very rarely see more than 8GB actually used on my 2017 13", and that's using some electron apps, DaVinci Resolve for video editing, and a few other lighter things.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Looks like the MBP 13" still ships with a 61W USB-C adapter, while the MBA will have a 30W adapter. MBP battery isn't crazy bigger, (58 vs. 50 Wh), so is it going to have some absurd clock-rate while plugged in vs. the MBA?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah that's fair, it's definitely time for a 32gb option.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

holy poo poo
edit: bringing back Hodgeman for that last bit was fun

Now he’ll be able to fund another two decades of podcast shenanigans

LegendaryFrog posted:

Yes. Also a $300 upcharge to get the "pro" at the end of your laptop with the same chipset in it.

I really have a hard time imagining the thermal differences in the Pro (a tiny laptop) and the Air (a marginally smaller tiny laptop) are going to be large enough to make the Pro 13 performance notably better.

The more expensive one has a fan and a heat pipe in it.

FCKGW posted:

Looks like they're all the same except the entry level Macbook Air which has a 7-core GPU compared to the 8-core GPU on every other model.

Yeah I noticed that. I wonder if that’s a binning thing?

You get the slightly underbaked M1s for $999-$1200 and the full-fat ones for $1249+?

If you’re comparing close SKUs, really an Air with the 8-core GPU, 8gb ram (lmao), and 512gb storage is $1249. The equivalently-equipped MBP is $50 more expensive, for which you get a fan+heatpipe+more battery juice.

Seems less nonsensical than I initially thought, more like all the Mac notebooks are entering into one continuity. Instead of deciding whether you need 4 cores or 8 or 2, you just move up and down a sliding scale of Macs

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Unification of SKUs is probably a very good thing for them. I'd expect more of the same going forward.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Do you think the power/performance benefits apple is claiming will be unique to their chips or will other desktop ARM variants be able to keep pace? How long is apple likely to maintain a real performance edge here?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
lolol

Spime Wrangler posted:

Do you think the power/performance benefits apple is claiming will be unique to their chips or will other desktop ARM variants be able to keep pace? How long is apple likely to maintain a real performance edge here?

A good long while; remember, a lot of their edge comes from their proprietary silicon that only Darwin really knows how to properly address.

Also, very very glad I didn't buy a personal iPad Pro a couple of months ago, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Do we know if the NDA on the 12z mini's is over? Might we see some actual benchmarks on how that chip worked?