Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Just finished plugging in my Series X and playing a bit of Tetris Effect. Everything about the process felt slick, from the way the console was packaged to the setup. Scrolling through all the Game Pass games was overwhelming. My OG Xbox is directly underneath the Series X, and I'm pretty sure the green circle in the latter's top vent is the same size as the green circle on top of the former.

At the last minute I decided to make Yakuza Like A Dragon my first physical Series X game, so I'm impatiently waiting for that to show up.

If anyone wants an Xbox friend to never play games or communicate with, my gamertag is: LevelUpMyElf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Just finished plugging in my Series X and playing a bit of Tetris Effect. Everything about the process felt slick, from the way the console was packaged to the setup. Scrolling through all the Game Pass games was overwhelming. My OG Xbox is directly underneath the Series X, and I'm pretty sure the green circle in the latter's top vent is the same size as the green circle on top of the former.

At the last minute I decided to make Yakuza Like A Dragon my first physical Series X game, so I'm impatiently waiting for that to show up.

If anyone wants an Xbox friend to never play games or communicate with, my gamertag is: LevelUpMyElf

i forgot about tetris effect. woooot. come on fed ex.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

You can ping AirPods and they'll chirp via findmyiphone or icloud

this is how someone realized their dog ate their airpods.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played some Tony Hawk and the new dpad is very good and does what I want it to do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Trip report: Bright Memory is not a good game. It's like modern Doom but real janky, and not in a particularly good way. High hopes for the sequel!!!

I have high hopes for all these chinese console games that are starting to get made

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Series X is slick but I kinda forgot I can't just plug my surround sound pc usb headset into the X. I have another decent set that works with the controller audio jack but it's not the same. Headset/adapter suggestions welcome, especially if I can easily switch the same set between PC and Xbox.

I did look at the Stealth 700 Gen 2 which works with bluetooth, but I need to know if it 1) switches over to BT with a button/switch press, and 2) if it's going to also turn my Xbox on when I turn the headset on even in BT mode, which would annoy me

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
How are people liking the series S?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Roman posted:

I did look at the Stealth 700 Gen 2 which works with bluetooth, but I need to know if it 1) switches over to BT with a button/switch press, and 2) if it's going to also turn my Xbox on when I turn the headset on even in BT mode, which would annoy me

I have these, so I can answer these questions.

1. It does Xbox audio and Bluetooth audio at the same time. There are independent volume dials on the earcup and the app.

2. Turning on the headset will turn on the Xbox it is assigned to.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what are people's thoughts on the series x? Is it really a super noticeable jump from the one x or is it just clearer?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

So what are people's thoughts on the series x? Is it really a super noticeable jump from the one x or is it just clearer?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hard to tell until next gen games starting coming out. Backwards compatibility is great though and see some large gains in performance, but it looks like the ps5 beats series X in this regard. Still impressive though. SSD in series X is massively impressive in its speed. Load times for games appear to be the best of anything else out there for now.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's ehta I thought. Like the jump from ps3 to rear end creed 4 ps4 was amazing to me, I just don't want to shell put the money for just better fps

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

My son is playing Fable right now. Things didn't start out great for him. I downloaded Sea of Thieves first because my son loves pirate crap and upon first glance it looked like the perfect game for him. A pirate game from Rare? gently caress yea! Turns out it's MP and I don't want teenagers yelling terrible things at my 9 year old. Next up was Star Wars Squadrons, I assumed it was on game pass because it's on EA+ PC, turns out it's not and we aren't spending anymore money on video games right now. Jesus Christ, I'm that loving parent now.

So yea, Fable. It's probably not appropriate, but the kid watches Murdoch Mysteries at every loving opportunity and is more mature than most adults I know, so gently caress it. I'm waiting for Gears 5 to download, but it's going to be a bit.

The actual hardware is real nice. The packaging was pain free, looks nice, and it was extremely easy to setup. We're happy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Everything loads ridiculously fast including the UI and the frame rate in games is way better. Other than that it's probably the smallest jump yet. But obviously would be mind blowing if the one X didn't exist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah that's ehta I thought. Like the jump from ps3 to rear end creed 4 ps4 was amazing to me, I just don't want to shell put the money for just better fps

I think the load times alone are enough to make the upgrade. We'll see some extremely impressive looking games in a year or two, it's gonna be a bit. Cyberpunk 2077 is less than a month away (lol it'll get delayed again) and looks like it'll be really nice on our new current gen systems.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not sure why I bothered to wire up given the, as expected, network speeds tonight. Might have to plug the One S in after all to get some games moved over.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love that my daughter is playing Roblox on a $500 bleeding edge new console. :lol:

She’s super happy though and via crossplay she can play with all her friends...so I’m really happy. Same with my son playing Disneyland Adventures.

It’s all so :3:

Also Gamepass is so ridiculously good. Like I want the new AssCreed or something just to see it running full power (well what counts as full now). That said Jedi looked really nice.

Only weird thing is my LG tv can do 4K at 60hz, but not 120hz (only 1080p).

I mean this probably doesn’t affect much, but I’m wondering why it can’t do 120hz at 4K, just seems odd.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Is anybody else having issues with downloading games while the console is off? I have instant on mode turned on, and storage isn’t set to turn off.

Downloads are definitely stopping as soon as I put my Series X into sleep mode though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean this probably doesn’t affect much, but I’m wondering why it can’t do 120hz at 4K, just seems odd.

4x as many pixels needs a whole bunch more processing power.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EL BROMANCE posted:

4x as many pixels needs a whole bunch more processing power.

I figured it was something like that, but I figure that it’s going to be awhile until it feels like I’m missing out on something for awhile, right?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Impressed with how snappy the UI is, especially the store stuff which was always laggy on previous PS/Xbox. Quick Resume is very cool and I wish PC could do that.

Also glad my HDMI 1.4 monitor can do 120 hz with it, because of all the conflicting answers I was getting to whether it could support it or not.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roman posted:

Impressed with how snappy the UI is, especially the store stuff which was always laggy on previous PS/Xbox. Quick Resume is very cool and I wish PC could do that.

Also glad my HDMI 1.4 monitor can do 120 hz with it, because of all the conflicting answers I was getting to whether it could support it or not.

I’m wondering now if I need to just switch my hdmi ports. I just plugged it into the empty one. Never gave much thought to there being a difference before.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is there anything to try 120hz on besides rs siege?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Roman posted:

I thought HDMI 2.1 supported TV + cable + system was required for 120hz. Or am I thinking of 120fps? Christ f u technology

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ori

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Am I missing anything by skipping straight to the second Ori?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ori 2 is 4k120 (or 6k60 supersampled)

e;fb

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Just minor story stuff. The second one is better in every way because it steals stuff from Hollow Knight.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Yes. The first one is great, don't skip it.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
My wife surprised me with an early Christmas gift of the expensive 1TB expansion drive. A perfect gift because I would never buy it for myself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Woke up, booting up my Yak7 file from cold and it took so little time about 70% of this post was done after it had already booted goddamn Next gen is good

Not particularly other than if you love it itll be that much harder to go back to the first

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Cheers, that's a good read. Jesus when you think of how successful the 360 was (disregarding RRoD etc.) it's hard to imagine they were thinking of throwing in the towel after a few months of the Xbox One.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 10, 2020

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
having a great time with the series x so far. during setup it had an option to enter a code on my phone, so i installed the app and while i was typing in the code, the screen went black and the code went away. i plugged in a keyboard to type my convoluted password which did end up working fine. while downloading my games i noticed i have a 233 day old notification and thought "hey, that's pretty funny, i'll take a screenshot" so i pressed the new screenshot button on my controller but apparently it only works in games. i bought the tetris game but it's at the end of the queue so i guess i won't be playing it today. thanks for reading my xbox story

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

I thought HDMI 2.1 supported TV + cable + system was required for 120hz. Or am I thinking of 120fps? Christ f u technology

You need HDMI 2.1 if you want 4K at 120 FPS. HDMI 1.4 can technically handle 1080p/120, though it's not a guarantee that a given 1.4 display supports it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

butt dickus posted:

having a great time with the series x so far. during setup it had an option to enter a code on my phone, so i installed the app and while i was typing in the code, the screen went black and the code went away. i plugged in a keyboard to type my convoluted password which did end up working fine. while downloading my games i noticed i have a 233 day old notification and thought "hey, that's pretty funny, i'll take a screenshot" so i pressed the new screenshot button on my controller but apparently it only works in games. i bought the tetris game but it's at the end of the queue so i guess i won't be playing it today. thanks for reading my xbox story

It... was on game pass

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Some TVs let you do 1440p 120hz if it can’t do 4k120. It’s a good visual compromise

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I received mine and am getting back to work while AC: Valhalla downloads its 46 gig "upgrade".

I'm not sold on the design. It's not ugly or anything but it won't fit sideways in my TV stand, making it a very obvious presence in the living room. Unlike the tried and true VCR design we've had for years that is basically invisible. Obelisk gonna watch us watch TV. I'm going to have to move it behind my TV or something. Going to be awkward as hell if this is the console design going forward.

It's funny-- I ordered this from Gamestop because it was the only retailer I could read on preorder day. I hate Gamestop! But the order and delivery process was flawless.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Barudak posted:

It... was on game pass
does game pass make things download faster

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lmao I really screwed up the new hardware experience for myself, opened the box wrong so the console just tumbled out, forgot to turn on my speakers for the first chime and had to delete my initially created save for wd: legion because it doesn't show the initial setup again if you have to quit the game to fix some tv output settings, now I'll have to play some more to know if the dlc registers on the new save

(legion has been extremely mediocre so far, needs a quick patch especially for the constant audio dropouts)

but drat the ms store is fast now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I love that my daughter is playing Roblox on a $500 bleeding edge new console. :lol:

She’s super happy though and via crossplay she can play with all her friends...so I’m really happy. Same with my son playing Disneyland Adventures.

It’s all so :3:

Also Gamepass is so ridiculously good. Like I want the new AssCreed or something just to see it running full power (well what counts as full now). That said Jedi looked really nice.

Only weird thing is my LG tv can do 4K at 60hz, but not 120hz (only 1080p).

Its something that lg tvs only were able to do in the past year