Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

odiv posted:

It was probably sealed when you would open the pool and then exchange it with another player. They changed it so you open your own pool sometime after that first Vegas Masters GP for exactly this reason, I think.

It was exactly this. Also big GPs like this are firing events practically 24 hours. You can comfortably play 5-10 events over 3 days depending on how you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Big Leg posted:

it sucks that your friend was abducted by jigsaw and forced to play 3 rounds of a masters set draft in vegas

Pyrolocutus posted:

"The rules are simple-oh god no not the layers NOT THE LAYERS"

The stranger you are handcuff to you is your opponent for the round, and he owns 30 commander decks. When the drug I slipped you both wears off, he will awake and begin to describe each one to you. Pretend to listen for the whole round, or the bomb in your body will explode. You have 50 minutes. Live or die, the choice is yours...

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

little munchkin posted:

The stranger you are handcuff to you is your opponent for the round, and he owns 30 commander decks. When the drug I slipped you both wears off, he will awake and begin to describe each one to you. Pretend to listen for the whole round, or the bomb in your body will explode. You have 50 minutes. Live or die, the choice is yours...

(protagonist snaps while opponent is describing how he couldn't decide between two generals for a Planeswalker Superfriends deck so he made both)

Jigsaw: You think you're the victim here, Guy Who Spends 15 Hours a Day Trading at GPs But Only Values Cards at 50% of Their TCG Low Price?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rankle seems like he'd be a fun Commander with the right combination of bastard and politics. Anyone got any insight on that before I go searching for ideas?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Rankle seems like he'd be a fun Commander with the right combination of bastard and politics. Anyone got any insight on that before I go searching for ideas?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636688

Come join us in the Commander thread, brewing is 99% of what we talk about

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636688

Come join us in the Commander thread, brewing is 99% of what we talk about

Oh cool, I thought it was gone.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Big Leg posted:

(protagonist snaps while opponent is describing how he couldn't decide between two generals for a Planeswalker Superfriends deck so he made both)

Jigsaw: You think you're the victim here, Guy Who Spends 15 Hours a Day Trading at GPs But Only Values Cards at 50% of Their TCG Low Price?

That reminds me, I don't know what to use for prices now that TCGPlayer got redesigned. There's no more low/med/high, just normal market price and normal listed median. Probably for the best actually.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

That reminds me, I don't know what to use for prices now that TCGPlayer got redesigned. There's no more low/med/high, just normal market price and normal listed median. Probably for the best actually.

I think you can probably use the cheapest listing in place of low?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Can anyone explain the logic to me behind throwing Yorion in Dimir Rogues? It seems like a hilariously terrible idea to add 20 cards to one of the biggest synergy based decks in standard just to play a card that really does gently caress all for the deck, but I've seen it multiple times now in Arena ranked and I really am curious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm going to guess something to do with the thieve's guild enforcers and getting a bunch of rogues out at once, flickering them all, and having the enforcers mill a shitload? maybe?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Can anyone explain the logic to me behind throwing Yorion in Dimir Rogues? It seems like a hilariously terrible idea to add 20 cards to one of the biggest synergy based decks in standard just to play a card that really does gently caress all for the deck, but I've seen it multiple times now in Arena ranked and I really am curious.

I mean, the first question is "where in arena ranked" because large chunks of the ladder are just people loving around with weird ideas once you get in the middle of the season

the second answer is 'people really don't like mill decks'

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Huxley posted:

Yeah, that's why most stores run high-value pack drafts like, "If you open a pack you absolutely do not want to pass, please don't drop and leave. Let us know, we'll sell you another pack to keep drafting. Don't gently caress up a draft pod over value."

The one mystery booster draft I did before everything shut down had like half the people there buying new packs because they had an $8 card in their pack. It was really annoying.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The American Dream posted:

The one mystery booster draft I did before everything shut down had like half the people there buying new packs because they had an $8 card in their pack. It was really annoying.

lol I think my local store put this in specifically in response to some person opening a double Goyf. I can't imagine it being a standard feature people take advantage of.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

This is random but does it drive anyone else crazy that TCG Player lists showcase and extended art cards completely separate from their normal version?? It annoys the hell out of me and I don't understand why they do it.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 10, 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Leg posted:

it sucks that your friend was abducted by jigsaw and forced to play 3 rounds of a masters set draft in vegas

Lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Huxley posted:

lol I think my local store put this in specifically in response to some person opening a double Goyf. I can't imagine it being a standard feature people take advantage of.

hitting the "rebuy" option until I crack a pack with a bomb rare,

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

LeafHouse posted:

This is random but does it drive anyone else crazy that TCG Player lists showcase and extended art cards completely separate from their normal version?? It annoys the hell out of me and I don't understand why they do it.

If they have a different collector number on the bottom I think it's correct to do so. There should be a very obvious way to jump between all the variants of a card though imo, which there probably isn't.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

If they have a different collector number on the bottom I think it's correct to do so. There should be a very obvious way to jump between all the variants of a card though imo, which there probably isn't.
They let you jump between different printings of the card (as in different sets and promotional versions), it's preposterous that they have different top-level entries for the alt-arts. They aren't even consistent in how they categorize the alternate and showcase cards between sets.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Huxley posted:

Whats the store care, they sold half a dozen more packs for $5 each. Held the draft up by a few minutes.

I’m not innocent, I did it a couple years ago for a foil breeding pool and blood crypt.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Infinite Karma posted:

They let you jump between different printings of the card (as in different sets and promotional versions), it's preposterous that they have different top-level entries for the alt-arts. They aren't even consistent in how they categorize the alternate and showcase cards between sets.

Pro tip: instead of selecting the auto-fill dropdown option, just fully type the name of the card yourself and hit enter, and it'll pull every version

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Pro tip: instead of selecting the auto-fill dropdown option, just fully type the name of the card yourself and hit enter, and it'll pull every version

Yeah but if I’m going off EDREC or something like that and click the link to the card I have to specially search out the extended version since it’s not listed under “All Versions.” It’s just stupid and annoying.

Box topper extended art Karn from UMA shows up under all versions but the 2XM topper doesn’t?? Grinds my gears

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PlasticAutomaton posted:

To flaunt the fact Force of Despair isn't Standard legal.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah but if I’m going off EDREC or something like that and click the link to the card I have to specially search out the extended version since it’s not listed under “All Versions.” It’s just stupid and annoying.

Box topper extended art Karn from UMA shows up under all versions but the 2XM topper doesn’t?? Grinds my gears

Ah okay yeah that is super lame lol

You should see it from the seller-side, it's even clunkier

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

To flaunt the fact Force of Despair isn't Standard legal.

Containment Priest is though? And costs less?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Shrecknet posted:

Outside of Yorion's ETB it doesn't do anything to anything, and as a 2 toughness 2 drop it's actually the overlap between every piece of removal in use.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrecknet posted:

Less than zero?

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I don't remember who mentioned doing quests in Forge but the description and allure of building a collection with boosters of random cards from Magics history got me interested so I downloaded it. The Quests aspect has been a little hit-or-miss for me. Most starting card pools you get aren't impressive and even the Easy AI decks have synergies that blow me out more often than not, even post board. What I've really enjoyed though are the Puzzles. I love being able to interact with a board state, with rules enforcement, a clear goal and the knowledge I have all the tools I need to achieve it. It's also been fun being able to import and goldfish legacy decks against AI so I can get used to basic play patters/clicking/decision before going to MTGO.

Pros: Magic rules seem well implemented; Very few cards missing/unimplemented/bugged; Multiplayer

Cons: Requires Java to run; Looks like a Java app

Anyways, that's my book report on why Forge is a very good fan made project. Thank you to those who brought it up in the past. If you download it and wonder "Where are the ZNR cards?" they're only in the latest snapshot build which I could only find a valid link to through the discord which I had to dig through a VERY 90's looking forum to get a link to.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Forge is pretty fun on mobile, good for absent-mindedly playing a few drafts when I was road-tripping with my in-laws

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This probably doesn't matter one way or the other but please vote correctly in this poll.

https://twitter.com/MTGSecretLair/status/1326595085023129600?s=19

(The correct answer is Hydras).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hydrae :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

odiv posted:

Hydrae :colbert:

hydroid kraseses: draw x cards, gain x life

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The art is a Dream Halls reference!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That's adorable, but why isn't the christmas card R/G?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Silhouette posted:

That's adorable, but why isn't the christmas card R/G?

there's been over a dozen of the holidays cards, one was already RG

https://scryfall.com/sets/hho?order=set

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I know it's the position of this thread that combo decks are actually Good, but historic Neoform combo decks have got to be some of the least fun to play against. At least you can beat Goblin decks a few different ways; Neoform decks just drop lands in T1-2, get to T3, and win.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are you not playing any instant-speed creature removal?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Jabor posted:

Are you not playing any instant-speed creature removal?

Isn't Sea Gate Stormcaller's ability an ETB trigger? If so, removal doesn't help. The only practical way to beat it I can think of is just countering the Stormcaller or the first Neoform, but if you're not playing a control deck you're out of luck.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 12, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MeinPanzer posted:

Isn't Sea Gate Stormcaller's ability an ETB trigger? If so, removal doesn't help.

You kill it in response to the trigger. Then they don't get to copy their neoform unless you've let them have a second creature to sacrifice.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Jabor posted:

You kill it in response to the trigger. Then they don't get to copy their neoform unless you've let them have a second creature to sacrifice.

Oh right, I realize I was thinking Neoform was an instant. Still, if you don't have that instant speed removal in hand, you're done. At least with Muxus you get a couple of more turns to prepare and throw a spanner in the works before your opponent drops him.

Also, the problem I have is that it's often hard to identify it as a Neoform combo deck until it's too late. You just see them drop a Breeding Pool and mountain or whatever, and then bam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They can't even do the combo unless they have a specific card (that they only have four copies of) in hand, so if you run more than 4 removal spells the odds are in your favour.

The "needs one very specific card" thing also makes them super soft to hand disruption. Slap 'em with Thoughtsieze the turn before they hit 4 mana and unless they're sitting on a god hand you're gonna buy yourself a ton of time.