Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

YUP

I'm totally get that, I love the winter aesthetic

edit:
I ordered a pot of that stuff and a brush from GSW. Since the company is spanish I should expect them to be pretty drat lazy about shipping it out.

Hopefully you don't have an Asian name so they don't cancel your order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

the spanish post takes forever, trust me. also

Hey that's pretty fast

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Booley posted:

Hopefully you don't have an Asian name so they don't cancel your order.

lol i knew there was something else other than the black sun on one of the rollers that they kept selling after they said they'd do something about it

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

it's super cool, but pretty fragile after it cures so best for display models

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Spanish Manlove posted:

the spanish post takes forever, trust me. also

I think the two most notorious postal services in Europe are the Spanish and the Italian. Altho I heard the Italian improved lately?
I had packages take 1.5 months between Spain and Hungary, and that was years before COVID.

I did buy a mini from Spain last night so lets see when it arrives.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I'm almost out of Vallejo flow improver for my airbrush. Is there anything else worth using? Its been magic for thinning everything down but it sucks to get in Canada as far as I've been able to figure out

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

w00tmonger posted:

I'm almost out of Vallejo flow improver for my airbrush. Is there anything else worth using? Its been magic for thinning everything down but it sucks to get in Canada as far as I've been able to figure out

??? I live in the great Northern Gem and it was easy as hell to get.

What's hard here, for me anyways, was their grey primer and cleaner. I can only find the super small bottles of the cleaner, and I'm already needing to restock.

EDIT: I got mine on Amazon no problem, but I guess if it's selling out, that would make an issue. I got mine a month ago and still have quite a bit left.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Spiv posted:

??? I live in the great Northern Gem and it was easy as hell to get.

What's hard here, for me anyways, was their grey primer and cleaner. I can only find the super small bottles of the cleaner, and I'm already needing to restock.

EDIT: I got mine on Amazon no problem, but I guess if it's selling out, that would make an issue. I got mine a month ago and still have quite a bit left.

$30 CAD on amazon, is that normal? seems really expensive.

I thin pretty much exclusively using that so it would be nice if there was a way to bring my costs down

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 10, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

200 mL of Vallejo Flow Improver costs me $15 USD, which google tells me should be about $20 CAD. a $10 premium does sound a bit extreme -- are you talking about the 200mL bottle or did you buy bigger?

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I am in Canada, I normally order liquids I can't get locally from Sunward Hobbies https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/

You can get 200ml of Vallejo Flow Improver for 16 bucks Canadian.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Sab669 posted:

200 mL of Vallejo Flow Improver costs me $15 USD, which google tells me should be about $20 CAD. a $10 premium does sound a bit extreme -- are you talking about the 200mL bottle or did you buy bigger?

I got the 200mL, but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay $30 for it. I think it was just north of $20, so prices have crept up, apparently.

I try to buy from local, then smaller online businesses before going to the Zon.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Windsor & Newton also sells Flow Improver that's basically the same thing as the Vallejo brand, not sure if it's available in CA or if the price is any better.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Don't know if it works for airbrushes, but I like to use Liqutex Flow Aid when I need to make a wash.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Please don't deride Green Stuff World for their nationality. Please do deride them for being Nazis.

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't know if it works for airbrushes, but I like to use Liqutex Flow Aid when I need to make a wash.

Works pretty well for me. I haven't noticed any substantive difference between Liquitex and Vallejo.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Didn't know about sunward so ill go through them, thanks. Any recommendations on brushes? My kolinksy guys are started to give and I'm not sure I'm super happy with them.

Only time I've ordered from green stuff world was to buy some magnets a while ago. Hearing about all their bullshit with YouTubers and colorshifting paint should be enough to avoid them let alone the Nazi stuff (which isn't great but seemed more like autistic handling of a situation than anything if I remember)

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 10, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wasn’t it GSW that got strikes against insanely wholesome youtube mini channel Sword N Steele as well? yeah gently caress those guys

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

w00tmonger posted:

Didn't know about sunward so ill go through them, thanks. Any recommendations on brushes? My kolinksy guys are started to give and I'm not sure I'm super happy with them.

Only time I've ordered from green stuff world was to buy some magnets a while ago. Hearing about all their bullshit with YouTubers and colorshifting paint should be enough to avoid them let alone the Nazi stuff (which isn't great but seemed more like autistic handling of a situation than anything if I remember)

Are you in the US? Just order your magnets from K&J Magnetics.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^w00t is Canadian

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So I am trying to work with my Badger 105 and I am having a really, really terrible time

It feels imprecise, everything I put through it clogs immediately, and in futiley trying to adjust things I really did seem to break the lever adjustment for trigger which is apaprently just a flimsy piece of thin metal on a tiny cheap spring???? There's a whole lot of adjustable dials that don't seem to have any measurable impact on anything whatsoever, as far as i can tell the flow control dial does literally nothing?

am I missing something here????

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 11, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The Patriot 105? It doesn't have anything that is adjustable as far as I know.

As for clogging, you're likely not thinning the paint enough. I put at least some flow improver in with everything that goes through my airbrush, and normal paints get a ton.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cinara posted:

The Patriot 105? It doesn't have anything that is adjustable as far as I know.

why are there so many loving springs in this thing? good god

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 11, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
There's only one spring? And then the metal arm that supports the trigger itself.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/PDF/105%20Fine%20Patriot.pdf

Reading that you can adjust trigger tension but most people should never need to do that.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cinara posted:

There's only one spring? And then the metal arm that supports the trigger itself.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/PDF/105%20Fine%20Patriot.pdf

Reading that you can adjust trigger tension but most people should never need to do that.

there's at least two, or it might have just been more than one way to reach the same spring

I was trying to find some way to get it to spray less paint, it seems to have the "always sprays even when flow should be off" problem and it shouldn't have been clogged or clogging, my paint was super thinned down and I literally just took the thing out of the box today

it's so clogged I can't fix it without a full teardown now and I never had this happen once with the other airbrush. I'm hoping I'm just having a run of bad luck with this thing but I'm feeling like I need to get a refund, i don't know if this is a defect or a counterfeit or maybe my expectations were too high or what but these are not the kinds of results i was expecting to get at all

edit: comedy service technician notes: EQUIPMENT ARRIVED ASSEMBLED INCORRECTLY BY FACTORY

it's all working a lot better now but something wasn't tightened the correct amount somewhere in here

thank you for the pdf while i flailed, patient goon

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 11, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Mirthless posted:

there's at least two, or it might have just been more than one way to reach the same spring

I was trying to find some way to get it to spray less paint, it seems to have the "always sprays even when flow should be off" problem and it shouldn't have been clogged or clogging, my paint was super thinned down and I literally just took the thing out of the box today

it's so clogged I can't fix it without a full teardown now and I never had this happen once with the other airbrush. I'm hoping I'm just having a run of bad luck with this thing but I'm feeling like I need to get a refund, i don't know if this is a defect or a counterfeit or maybe my expectations were too high or what but these are not the kinds of results i was expecting to get at all

edit: comedy service technician notes: EQUIPMENT ARRIVED ASSEMBLED INCORRECTLY BY FACTORY

it's all working a lot better now but something wasn't tightened the correct amount somewhere in here

thank you for the pdf while i flailed, patient goon

I’ve heard multiple stories about Badger Quality Control not being what it used to be and people getting bad brushes right out of the box.
But I’ve also heard that Badger Customer Service is still top notch and they do everything to rectify the situations.

I’ve been very happy with the Badger brushes that I own, but the only non-Badger brush I’ve used was an Aztech, so i don’t have much to compare them to.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Is there a generally recommended alternative to Testors Dullcote? It's out of stock everywhere around me and prices just seem to be going up everywhere I look online. I do have an airbrush if that helps, but I've never sprayed enamel with it and kinda afraid I'll break it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Bucnasti posted:

I’ve heard multiple stories about Badger Quality Control not being what it used to be and people getting bad brushes right out of the box.
But I’ve also heard that Badger Customer Service is still top notch and they do everything to rectify the situations.

I’ve been very happy with the Badger brushes that I own, but the only non-Badger brush I’ve used was an Aztech, so i don’t have much to compare them to.

Just took them over 2 weeks to even reply to me when I emailed their cs.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Can dullcote be used as a primer? I have a clear model that I need to prime, but want to maintain the transparency. Is there such a thing as clear primer?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's thicker than you want for primer, I wouldn't recommend it

I think clear models are mostly intended to take some paint as-is. It's worked alright for my fire/water elementals so far, though admittedly i don't handle them excessively often.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Sorry, I should have added that I 3d printed it using clear resin, so I can't bank on it being ready to accept paint as is. Is varnish a good idea in general for this purpose? I have an airbrush so I don't think that I'll have any issues with thickness of the coats.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Is there a generally recommended alternative to Testors Dullcote? It's out of stock everywhere around me and prices just seem to be going up everywhere I look online. I do have an airbrush if that helps, but I've never sprayed enamel with it and kinda afraid I'll break it.

If you're just looking for a matte varnish, Vallejo Mecha Matte, use it through your airbrush.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mikey Purp posted:

Can dullcote be used as a primer? I have a clear model that I need to prime, but want to maintain the transparency. Is there such a thing as clear primer?

I haven't done it myself but it would appear to be doable: https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-using-clear-primer/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Please don't deride Green Stuff World for their nationality. Please do deride them for being Nazis.

Yeah I mentioned the snow/ice stuff just because I thought it was cool. I actually completely ditched the basing scheme I was going to use that involved using a GSW pin.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

+1 for Vallejo Mecha Matte as a viable acrylic substitute. Nearly as good and easier to work with... unless you strictly need an enamel varnish

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I use Mister Super Clear

It is both an effective varnish and suitable as a primer if you want a clear primer for some reason

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I still have a lot of detail work left to go on this guy and he's missing a hand. I have been working on this on and off since I got the airbrush/compressor and I am so happy with how this has turned out so far

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I painted the Mechanical Rider for Malifaux.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Electric Hobo posted:

I really love this, the color transitions are really nice and the paint looks so smooth

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Blessed is the oil bath

hallowed is the rust filter

virtuous is the panel shade

holy is the pin wash

amen

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Nice. Every time I see your stuff I think "gently caress... I really do need to up my OSL game". I've got Sonnia Criid on my table right now, and shes got a lantern AND a flaming sword, so theres no excuse, but I'm pleased with her basic paint job and am worried about ruining it with a bad attempt at OSL. Gonna go reread that one goonhammer page about it again and cowboy up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

I really love this, the color transitions are really nice and the paint looks so smooth
Thanks! :)

BULBASAUR posted:

Blessed is the oil bath

hallowed is the rust filter

virtuous is the panel shade

holy is the pin wash

amen

This is super good looking, and almost makes me want to paint some terrain. But I also know that I'll never, ever, actually put a lot of effort into my terrain.

SiKboy posted:

Nice. Every time I see your stuff I think "gently caress... I really do need to up my OSL game". I've got Sonnia Criid on my table right now, and shes got a lantern AND a flaming sword, so theres no excuse, but I'm pleased with her basic paint job and am worried about ruining it with a bad attempt at OSL. Gonna go reread that one goonhammer page about it again and cowboy up.
Thanks! It's actually not a super advanced technique, at least not the way I do it. If I had to start from zero again, I'd practice placing my extra highlight for the OSL, and my glazing skills before doing it for an actual paintjob.
Then it just a matter of accepting that everything looks really strange until you actually paint the OSL :)