Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
After 20 years the only thing wrong with it is that the high/low beam button gets stuck in the high position and I have to press it repeatedly to get it back into the low position.

I was using my phone to take audio of the MV's engine sounds by keeping it in an open pocket and of course it flipped out of my pocket at 35 mph. Boring short video since it's mostly audio but it does show the phone exiting my pocket.

https://i.imgur.com/tydFBQ8.mp4

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Can't loving believe the last week of weather we had in IL/WI

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Parts are terrible to get but not aprilia terrible.

Just how hard to get is hard to get? My Scrambler is the first non-American vehicle I've had that I'd be inclined to work on, and near as I can tell from the few orders I've made, there's one place in the US that can get the parts from Italy. And if it's not something they stock, it has to be shipped overseas. Is that bad, or is bad more like "it might be easier if I made this myself"?

Also updated Ducati photo since this is the pics thread and I just got a new phone specifically to take better photos of cars and motorcycles and such.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Slavvy's experience may be different, but my one experience with getting an Aprilia part = call AF1 Racing in Austin, place order, ETA of 4 weeks for delivery b/c part was coming from Italy, part shows up three months later. I ordered a new tail piece for an SXV for a friend's xmas present to replace the one he shattered.

Meanwhile, when I ordered a second set of plastics for a KTM 690, they showed up in a week. That order was for every piece of body plastic on the bike except the headlight shroud.

I've ordered one Ducati part so far that was also shipped from Italy, and it got here in a week.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just assume that all smaller manufacturers are operating on the Norton "wait until a customer bike with the parts you need comes in, strip those, and use them to fulfill existing orders" method of supply management.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MV Agusta is actually Italian for 'Feed me starter sprags'

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Slavvy's experience may be different, but my one experience with getting an Aprilia part = call AF1 Racing in Austin, place order, ETA of 4 weeks for delivery b/c part was coming from Italy, part shows up three months later. I ordered a new tail piece for an SXV for a friend's xmas present to replace the one he shattered.

Meanwhile, when I ordered a second set of plastics for a KTM 690, they showed up in a week. That order was for every piece of body plastic on the bike except the headlight shroud.

I've ordered one Ducati part so far that was also shipped from Italy, and it got here in a week.

I had one guy with a tuono v4 who, at last contact, was on month ten of his waiting for a warranty repair to get done. I haven't heard from him in a while, he might be dead.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I just assume that all smaller manufacturers are operating on the Norton "wait until a customer bike with the parts you need comes in, strip those, and use them to fulfill existing orders" method of supply management.

Piaggio / Aprilia is not a small manufacturer by any means, they just can't do logistics for poo poo

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Did you know Italian factories close down in August? Do you know how I know? MV ownership since so many parts have to come straight from the factory in Italy.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I was thinking of both Italian manufacturer part logistics and MV's history with changing ownership. Looks like they've been stable since 2016-ish though?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

Did you know Italian factories close down in August? Do you know how I know? MV ownership since so many parts have to come straight from the factory in Italy.
Well at least you know they're fresh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elvisxat post your weed dealer gixxer while we're still on the right page.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Hello, I return from Korea on the weed page to announce the best decision ever.

Buddy moved across country as the base in Seoul started to shut down, and in the process he lost the keys to his Dyna and his 2005 Goldwing.

So the bike set at his apartment for the last three years non-running, not maintained. Instead of getting the keys fixed he decided to buy a new Harley and he's been riding that for the past 3 years.

This guy is pushing 70 so I didn't expect him to work on the bikes that much but instead of working on getting them fixed last week he bought a new 2016 GSXR 750. So because we're here in Korea working for the government we are limited to how many vehicles were allowed to have and he decided to sell the Goldwing to me for $1. So I guess I have a Goldwing?

Plans are to get it working again get it painted blue and then either bye a Hannigan sidecar so we can take our three dogs on trips or engineer one since we got some buddies who designed trailers out here it'll be a slow project cuz money is not exactly flowing in but I'll try and update as I remember.

Battery's dead, all fluids and filters are suspect, it was burning oil on the left side of the engine before it got sidelined, and I'm sure there's plenty of electrical gremlins I'll have to chase down as well.

First Adventure will be trying to file some keys as I have key blanks and a new file set coming in this week. Here's some pictures!

My wife Melody is the intended rider, if we don't sidecar it, we will be lowering it and maybe getting the landing gears.

And now, my MT-10 SP, Melody's Grom, and the Goldwing.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 11, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

V nice. Can't beat a free Goldwing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I am clearly damaged by ADVRider.txt because I totally expected a reply like in their cancer thread with pictures of wifes and gfs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That. Is. Awesome!

I’m not super familiar with the fuel injected wings but I know on the carbureted ones, if you park them on the kickstand, oil seeps into the left side cylinders and it smokes for a bit when you start it. Keeping it on the center stand avoids this.

Maybe they solved this with some sort of internal baffle by the fuel injected times :iiam:

Either way nice score, you’ll love it

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Amazing. I really love the sunshine yellow on a bike that big, too. Great buy!

edit: What are those silver things inside the engine guards in front of the cylinders? Fog lights?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Of course i haven't ridden it yet, but for a nearly 700lb bike it seems decently balanced. I am pretty surprised. I've only ever had sport bikes so this is quite a step up.

Thanks for the tip about the burning of oil, I'll definitely be pulling everything apart as kord knows what 3 Korean summers and winters have done to it, and it only had a soft cover...

And yeah, those are fogs. There's all kinds of weird mods on this thing. He owned it since new, and cant remember everything hes done to it, so that's also going to be fun to unravel.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 11, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nullscan posted:

Of course i haven't ridden it yet, but for a nearly 700lb bike it seems decently balanced. I am pretty surprised. I've only ever had sport bikes so this is quite a step up.

Thanks for the tip about the burning of oil, I'll definitely be pulling everything apart as kord knows what 3 Korean summers and winters have done to it, and it only had a soft cover...

And yeah, those are fogs. There's all kinds of weird mods on this thing. He owned it since new, and cant remember everything hes done to it, so that's also going to be fun to unravel.

I doubt if there's even such a thing as a stock Goldwing that's over a year old.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think the timing belt cover fog lights are an OEM Honda thing

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think the timing belt cover fog lights are an OEM Honda thing

they are

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Elvisxat post your weed dealer gixxer while we're still on the right page.

The weed dealer gixxer was my weed dealer, but I don't have any pics as that was ~2006. And my gixxer is the meth'd out one, which I guess means they spent more time on it than a weed dealer's gixxer, but also means somehow even the fork tubes got rattle canned black

*edit*
but I'm on page 420 still at least

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ITT, as IRL, I get my rundown drug affiliated gixxers mixed up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

somehow even the fork tubes got rattle canned black

:catstare:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

somehow even the fork tubes got rattle canned black

"Murdered Out" styling isn't supposed to be literal. Is it on the actual part that slides in and out?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

"Murdered Out" styling isn't supposed to be literal. Is it on the actual part that slides in and out?!

Lol if this is the first time you've encountered that little mod. I've even had people whine at me that fixing their blown fork seals, induced by the paint, caused the paint to disappear.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Do you tell them that they can buy black anodised sliders or just let them gently caress poo poo up with a rattlecan again?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Maybe I used the wrong term, I call them inner and outer tubes for lack of a better term, only the outer tubes are painted as far as I can tell. Although the fork seals do leak, don't worry about that. And the lack of taping off is evident when you really get in there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Galaxy brain: painting the fork stanchions will solve the leaky fork seal problem

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
if everything's black then you can't see when oil leaks

the nasty stains are the only reason leaking oil is bad, so this is fine

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do you tell them that they can buy black anodised sliders or just let them gently caress poo poo up with a rattlecan again?

It's usually on GN250 "cafe" ""racer"" or similar masterpieces, never seen it on an USD fork but I've no doubt they're out there!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just picked this up today for $750- ‘94 XR100R. My son and I have been looking for an XR for a while and this was the first one under $1k that wasn’t a total basket case. It’s got a fresh top end, new coil and CDI, new carb, sprockets, chain, grips, throttle tubes, plus it came with a parts bike and some other extras. It needed the clutch cover gasket replaced but the guy included that as well so the boy and I tackled it. I’ve done them a few times before but this one was the worst. My gasket-scraping razor fell behind the clutch so I had to take the clutch off, and then for some reason it wouldn’t line up easily when I was reassembling, plus a host of other small trivial issues along with my bad hip cramping non-stop that built up and led me to massive frustration. But now it’s all good and doesn’t leak anymore, plus I readjusted the clutch so in the end it was worth it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

This is my 1998 Triumph Daytona that I bought new in 2000. It's currently dressed like a Speed Triple with '09 Speed Triple forks (loaded with Racetech goodies) and wheels, Works rear shock, Hindle high-mount, etc.

This pic is from a 2700-mile trip that I took with my brother that shows what it used to look like:

My other bike is this turd. 1991 EX500 with 2008 EX250 swingarm, forks (also loaded with Racetech goodies) and wheels. Oh, and some homemade high-mounts that a student of mine welded up for me.

It looked like this from '08-'18 and sometimes I miss this setup with dual sport tires. I was a little squirrelly with the 16" wheels, but was a blast on hardpack dirt roads and gravel:

It looked like this when I bought it in 2007. It had been bought new, dropped sometime during the summer of '91 and shoved into a shed for 16 years with 1050 miles on the odometer.

I no longer have these, but the Suzuki S50 and Kawasaki Versys on either side of my Triumph I kept for a while after my brother passed. The Kawasaki had some electrical gremlins and I sold it in 2012 and sold the Suzuki in 2018 to purchase the old Jeep in the background of the pic at the top.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What a cool post 👍

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, I like the Triumph.

But..I came here to ask if anyone had experience with aftermarket heated grips?.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I maintain that the Ninja 500 is the worst possible bike to streetfighter in all of history.

But somehow, in yellow, with dual sport tires, it almost works

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sir Not Appearing posted:

This is my 1998 Triumph Daytona that I bought new in 2000. It's currently dressed like a Speed Triple with '09 Speed Triple forks (loaded with Racetech goodies) and wheels, Works rear shock, Hindle high-mount, etc.

Salute. Did the newer rear wheel just bolt on or was there hub fuckery involved?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Slavvy posted:

Salute. Did the newer rear wheel just bolt on or was there hub fuckery involved?

Yeah, the wheel bolts straight on. That's the great part with Triumph using the same basic frame and swingarm from 1997-2010. Lots of easy mixing and matching.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

ImplicitAssembler posted:

But..I came here to ask if anyone had experience with aftermarket heated grips?.

My EX500 has a set of Koso heated grips. They run about $50 last time I looked. They're easy to install and work well. I originally wanted the kind that uses elements that go inside the bars, but the Protaper bars I have are thick walled with a small I.D. and I couldn't use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Oxfords hotgrips premium series works good. They got a good bit of cable length since they're universal, but no big hassle to trim and rejoin. Their included glue is crap, use anything else. My clutch hand grip started to wear down to the heated elements a bit after 40k miles on my transalp.