Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If you want an idle MMO that's closer to a traditional MMO I think you need to look at EVE and how they did skill training and use that as a baseline for how progress should be. You don't have to do skill points, but some part needs to be passive and another part active. You need a reason to work together. Now you can do AFK groups but they can kinda suck especially if someone quits since you are always with your group 24/7. It ends up encouraging alts which to discourage means you need a P2W gap, which.... well that's the problem the genre has faced.

You could make an idle game of some kind that produces units to a cap that you then take out and do things actively with, you really do want to feed back into the system.

Really the problem is MMOs are large time sinks and Idle games are short time sinks where you check in do a thing then let it go on for a few hours and check in and see what you can tweak. They are the same genre at a different pace. I don't think that means that are incompatible but people keep trying to combine them like they aren't already very close to the same. I think it's possible to make an MMO-idle game I just think everyone is going about it the entirely wrong way and not sure what the right way is or I'd be making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yeah I'm a huge fan of idle skilling and this new game is not fun. Inventory management is painful, it's impossible to tell how effective any choices or upgrades are, and it's a huge pain to navigate to any areas you want to visit.

Quests are given in the worst way, they're almost always either way beyond your current depth or totally trivial when you get them. The point of an mmo is that it's multiplayer, but if there's no interaction between players it's just bad runescape with no economy. I get what he was going for but it's like all the levers are flipped in the wrong direction.

Completely agree.

In the game's defense, it looks great. It's cool to see other players mucking about even if there's not interaction at the moment. I think there's the skeleton of something great here.

But at minimum, the early game needs a major rebalancing/revamp. The first couple times I did logging, there was a decently fun minigame that gave good drops. But now I can only idle log, with no indication of if or when I can do the minigame again. Why can't I keep playing the minigame, even for reduced rewards? Why doesn't mining have a minigame?

Also, why don't I start the game with any attack skills whatsoever? Even getting to hit a strong attack button every few seconds would feel more engaging than this.

Edit: Just discovered that I unlocked a bunch of new talent options when I hit level 10 and picked a class. Game gave me no indication that these talents became available. And, still no obvious talent choices.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 10, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Agreed on all points about the game. I actually like the guy's art style and think it's cool that there's more of it in this game but it's just not much fun to play at all sadly. The idle play is boring and doesn't help much in the long run, the active play is mind numbingly boring, moving around is a pain in the rear end.. it's just not good. Pretty bummed about it :smith:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

explosivo posted:

Agreed on all points about the game. I actually like the guy's art style and think it's cool that there's more of it in this game but it's just not much fun to play at all sadly. The idle play is boring and doesn't help much in the long run, the active play is mind numbingly boring, moving around is a pain in the rear end.. it's just not good. Pretty bummed about it :smith:

Its kinda sucks because from what I gather from the discord he's a young kid who is super super insecure about things so any negative criticism will probably crush him. Idle skilling was brilliant and every update (except maybe crusades) was excellent and fun. This new game he's been working on for like a year and hyping it up and dumping tons of e/n bullshit in the discord blog for a really fuckin lukewarm idler that is far more tedium than engagement.

The worst part is all the pieces are there, just put together in the most obnoxious way. The game tries too hard to imitate all the worst aspects of an mmo instead of taking them best parts and adapting them to an idler.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Its kinda sucks because from what I gather from the discord he's a young kid who is super super insecure about things so any negative criticism will probably crush him. Idle skilling was brilliant and every update (except maybe crusades) was excellent and fun. This new game he's been working on for like a year and hyping it up and dumping tons of e/n bullshit in the discord blog for a really fuckin lukewarm idler that is far more tedium than engagement.

The worst part is all the pieces are there, just put together in the most obnoxious way. The game tries too hard to imitate all the worst aspects of an mmo instead of taking them best parts and adapting them to an idler.

Not being able to take feedback and just caving does not go with idle games / MMOs at all, both are pretty community driven if they are any good with the community pointing out what they need. Might grow out of it, or will wash up, find a lovely slave labor coding job and lament about people not understanding his vision.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Man that sucks, in my head the active part would be micromanaging the automated actions of a ton of heroes rather than a boring MMO grind. Like tell the ranger to chop wood, shift around your dozen other heroes to optimize their tasks for a while then and come back to put the automatically gathered wood to use, rather than sit on the ranger and click to pick up each log.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Man that sucks, in my head the active part would be micromanaging the automated actions of a ton of heroes rather than a boring MMO grind. Like tell the ranger to chop wood, shift around your dozen other heroes to optimize their tasks for a while then and come back to put the automatically gathered wood to use, rather than sit on the ranger and click to pick up each log.

It seems like that's what the game is building up to, but it also seems like that'll only be after dozens of hours of tedium with one or two characters.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Unponderable posted:

It seems like that's what the game is building up to, but it also seems like that'll only be after dozens of hours of tedium with one or two characters.

In some ways that's even more of a bummer, gating off automation between hours of tediousness is what's kept me from getting into Another Chronicle despite otherwise seeming like my poo poo. Just give people basic automation from the beginning, it's alright to make it better as you go along ala Synergism but we're years past Cookie Clicker.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Unponderable posted:

This is everything that was bad about early idle games when they were called clickers. Please click your mouse as fast as you can for 145 hours, you now gain stuff passively fast enough that clicking only doubles your income you can now stop but progress will be slow. Oh you installed an autoclicker? Okay let's make it all click based, gently caress every idle game that just requires an autoclicker that was made in the past 5-10 years or so. Anything prior and there was some serious question into if the a game without any clicking could hold people's attention.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Elissia posted:

yeah, sloth is pretty garbage. greed is extremely good though, despite it only using the first zone's research so far.

Man, what. Sloth is crucial, but you really need 3 shortcut slots to get anything from it. One from Inspiration and by the time you reincarnate for the first time you should have enough rubies to buy another slot from the shop.

With 3 slots you can automate making Goddess Statues which is basically the most annoying thing in the game otherwise.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Except rubies are competing with Party slots for more passives and then Quest Slots because that's a source of Rubies and perma-stats.

3 slots is a stretch to automate Goddess Statues since you would have to rely on boss drops to avoid having to Lumberjack and keep your wreaths topped up. Much to my chagrin as I'm on 12/18 of the church questline; can't believe making ~680 of these things is a thing.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

A Flower Fairy to generate flowers and the Forest People title to generate wood. It's certainly not 100% efficient since the title makes wood pretty slowly, but it works. No doubt in my mind it's the best use of rubies, but YMMV.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sage Grimm posted:

Except rubies are competing with Party slots for more passives and then Quest Slots because that's a source of Rubies and perma-stats.

3 slots is a stretch to automate Goddess Statues since you would have to rely on boss drops to avoid having to Lumberjack and keep your wreaths topped up. Much to my chagrin as I'm on 12/18 of the church questline; can't believe making ~680 of these things is a thing.

yeah set your title to forest people and now you've got wood regeneration, flower fairy gives flower regen. wreath - wooden statue - goddess statue (or rock title, stay farming orc for leather, durable leather - stone statue - statue of muscle).

2 slots is really good because you can automate baking and making milk, or a lot of other recipes by camping rock golem for salt and buying meat.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
help im speaking in tongues

YNWAD-F7DWZ-GEL3X
4XAHQ-IXT7C-Y78LB
ZGCQL-3KTJM-6JRE8
HNCHG-79D87-CNIWL
858JG-NFB4H-BZ4HN
DTT0H-VYJGT-IHN2D
89543-VYJ8I-RHKE2
B9RWG-IXYJP-RIYFB

(please say if you claim a key)

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

something posted:

ZGCQL-3KTJM-6JRE8

took this one, thanks!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

something posted:

DTT0H-VYJGT-IHN2D

I took this one! I need to get around to joining the discord I guess.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

something posted:

B9RWG-IXYJP-RIYFB

Grabbed this one thank you!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 11, 2020

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

something posted:

858JG-NFB4H-BZ4HN

I think this worked for me.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

quote:

89543-VYJ8I-RHKE2

Took this one

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

something posted:

HNCHG-79D87-CNIWL

snagged this one

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
if you can, please do join the ngu industries discord to give feedback, it's really valuable to me :)

https://discord.gg/HaKUUyjT

toss me a message and i can set you up with the goon + key haver role

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

something posted:

YNWAD-F7DWZ-GEL3X
Got this one

Eilatis
Jun 27, 2006

something posted:

Looks like they're all gone!

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

4XAHQ-IXT7C-Y78LB

I claimed this one

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Well, I learned something new today. Apparently you can be autobanned from a discord server if you keep leaving and rejoining it. I wanted the guides available in the pins for the Synergism channel but I didn't want to clog up my server list, so I kept just getting in, checking a thing, and then leaving the server. Whoops! I miss the days when this info was on a forum, even reddit. Oh well, Synergism is getting kinda boring anyways. I finally made it to the point where I'm doing auto-ascension every 20 secs and I guess I should start touching corruption but it just doesn't feel like the goals are that interesting. I think an Idle game that wants to be long term needs some sort of flavor to it or it just turns into numbers over numbers and feels like nothing. This is probably why NGU is so successful, having a bunch of jokes and art and bosses makes it a lot more engaging to progress. I'm okay with pure numbers for shorter games but something that wants to be long haul like Synergism? Meh.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well, I learned something new today. Apparently you can be autobanned from a discord server if you keep leaving and rejoining it. I wanted the guides available in the pins for the Synergism channel but I didn't want to clog up my server list, so I kept just getting in, checking a thing, and then leaving the server. Whoops! I miss the days when this info was on a forum, even reddit. Oh well, Synergism is getting kinda boring anyways. I finally made it to the point where I'm doing auto-ascension every 20 secs and I guess I should start touching corruption but it just doesn't feel like the goals are that interesting. I think an Idle game that wants to be long term needs some sort of flavor to it or it just turns into numbers over numbers and feels like nothing. This is probably why NGU is so successful, having a bunch of jokes and art and bosses makes it a lot more engaging to progress. I'm okay with pure numbers for shorter games but something that wants to be long haul like Synergism? Meh.

you can have lots of servers you know

you can even stack the servers together if you really need to save space lmao

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Look I'm a guy that likes keeping his list clean and organized with only stuff I ABSOLUTELY need. I have like 5 servers on there right now and I'm thinking of cutting one. That's just how I do things.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

I seem to have a literal wall, 4 of them, in Another Chronicle. Really not sure what I should be doing about this Rock Golem. Any clues?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Air magic kills the walls, if a wall gets hit by that the Golem's next action is one that destroys the hit wall. After you factor that in all you need is the stats to kill it when the walls aren't up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Augh Another Chronicle Party Quest today was giving me Wooden Statues..for only 15 minutes. Didn't come close to maxing out my capacity by the time it finished.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Anyone know what the trigger for Zone 5 is in Another Chronicle? I blitzed Z1-Z4 on the new rez by leaving some stuff that didn't feel necessary behind, but now I've beaten the Rock Golem in Z4 and done a bunch of leftover stuff both there and in Z3 and I still can't get it to trigger. Is it Guild Points?

e.: It was clearing the Orphanage sequence.

Followup question, Luck impacts drop/research/seed rates, yes?

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 11, 2020

AotC
May 16, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Followup question, Luck impacts drop/research/seed rates, yes?

I am not sure about drop rates. The only thing I know for sure is it increases research drop amount.

You also get a DR bonus for each ally with maxed luck.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

while i do enjoy another chronicle man i wish i could target it with cheat engine's speedhack. the seed grind is a bit much

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
You could just lock the # of seeds you have to whatever you want and that'd be faster?

AotC
May 16, 2010

Elissia posted:

while i do enjoy another chronicle man i wish i could target it with cheat engine's speedhack. the seed grind is a bit much

If you find whatever process id the game is running in you can actually use cheat engine's speedhack. Unfortunately it seems to break rendering after a while.

https://github.com/Qwokka/Cetus This browser addon will work like cheat engine for web assembly games. I've had some luck with it on other unity wasm games.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yet another nonsensical Idle Game moment: Ugh I never expected to need so much weed for this desert peddler.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Yet another nonsensical Idle Game moment: Ugh I never expected to need so much weed for this desert peddler.

uh if you plan on eating all the dessert and using the weed to smoke and enhance your sense of taste before eating the desserts it makes sense. wait... that's 1 s, oh no no no.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i do, but not until i knock off work

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Is there some sort of trick to C13 in Synergism? I've got the previous two challenges pretty solidly on lock and I can't even seem to make the challenge meter for C13 move. I figure I either need a shitload more resources than I've accumulated or possibly a specific set of challenges to do due to the way it appears to work? I've got C11 at 10 and C12 at 9 completions, 120 million in cube blessings with the first 4 rows of cube upgrades done and about 100k Tesseract Gifts. Is it just a case of hoarding and opening more cubes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
you're probably not reading the fine print on challenge 13's description. once you understand the gimmick it should be pretty clear what to do one challenge 9 clear to unlock talisman fragment drops, then straight to challenge 10

i had the same problem