Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

frogbs posted:

I think it's possible the SKS p65's might work, but i' have to get a little creative with the struts around the disc brakes/racks I have.

Some experience with the SKS's. They come with gobs of spacers and different length bolts that you can use to get clearance over discs, and the stays are always oversized so you have room to bend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

frogbs posted:

So i've got a 52cm Disc Trucker with 26 x 2.1" Gravelkings on it. I want to throw some fenders on for the winter, but I think i'm just at the limit of what the frame will do with fenders. I've got pretty wide rims, and the tires measure out at almost 58mm/2.3". Surly officially says the max the frame can do is 2.1" tires with fenders. Am I dumb to try and squeeze some in there?

Maybe something flatter like the Simworks/Honjo Flat 65's?

Or even the SKS Bluemel 75's, but maybe cut down a bit at the fork crown? .

I think it's possible the SKS p65's might work, but i' have to get a little creative with the struts around the disc brakes/racks I have.

If anyone has experience with big tires plus fenders on a disc trucker let me know!

If you're going to accumulate mud or pick up sticks on trails, that isn't enough clearance for fenders imo.
If it's just road use the flat 65s are fine for that, are what I would use.
Although if you're only on the road you probably wouldn't be running the small knob gravelkings, so...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

bicievino posted:

If you're going to accumulate mud or pick up sticks on trails, that isn't enough clearance for fenders imo.
If it's just road use the flat 65s are fine for that, are what I would use.
Although if you're only on the road you probably wouldn't be running the small knob gravelkings, so...

Yeah, I think i'm just going to put the stock 1.8" tires back on and move the Gravelkings over to my Kona Unit. Thanks for the input everyone!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BTW if you're running fenders offroad, I strongly recommend that regardless of what fender brand you buy, you use the PDW fender safety tabs so that if you get a stick jammed in there you are less likely to eat poo poo.
https://ridepdw.com/collections/custom-fender-fit-collection/products/full-metal-fenders-safety-tabs?variant=31598022950969

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

BTW if you're running fenders offroad, I strongly recommend that regardless of what fender brand you buy, you use the PDW fender safety tabs so that if you get a stick jammed in there you are less likely to eat poo poo.
https://ridepdw.com/collections/custom-fender-fit-collection/products/full-metal-fenders-safety-tabs?variant=31598022950969
I have something like that on our kid's bike and they're great.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
https://bunchbike.com/

Honestly thinking of buying one of these. I have 2 kids now and this thing looks awesome for family outings, way more comfortable for the kids than a double trailer which can be sort of cramped.

Also has a stronger utility function than a trailer.

Anyone have experience with buying Dutch style cargo bikes for hauling around the family?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
For at least two months Strava (app to record bike rides etc.) has been messing up my ride times and calories. Yesterday I figured out the bug.

Strava (on the iPhone) now goes into AUTO-PAUSE at speeds under 4mph.

Since almost all my rides involve double-digit grade climbs at 2.7 mph to 3.8mph, Strava is messing up the times on every ride. It gets the distance right, it even gets the route, but it messes up the time ridden.

See the compare on this ride.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Have you considered walking faster?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Killswitch posted:

Have you considered walking faster?

Walking? Never!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
An instantaneous 23%? Cute :allears:

Which is just a small part of this:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
When do we start heart rate chat

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

vikingstrike posted:

Actually in all seriousness, how do you guys track heart rates with an iPhone? I just found out that Strava doesn't support HR tracking which really sucks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

210 or bust baby

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:shittypop:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

I have genetic + training induced bradycardia.

So when I do that climb, my HR might get to 115 ... typically 110.

Resting? 40's and sometimes 30's.

I also weigh about 215lbs (6' 2"+) and I'm probably older than all of you.

How old? My first published video game shipped on cassette tape,

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 11, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

butros posted:

Actually in all seriousness, how do you guys track heart rates with an iPhone? I just found out that Strava doesn't support HR tracking which really sucks.

strava does HR tracking, but you need something to measure it obviously. when i'm on my bike i have a tickr and elemnt bolt and when i'm running my polar watch tracks HR (or i can link my tickr to it but usually dont).

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

strava does HR tracking, but you need something to measure it obviously. when i'm on my bike i have a tickr and elemnt bolt and when i'm running my polar watch tracks HR (or i can link my tickr to it but usually dont).

I thought the strava app removed the ability to pair sensors, which is what he's talking about, not using a separate head unit to record and then upload to strava (which, to answer the question, is what the vast majority of us do).

If you're committed to using the phone, you'll need to use another app to record and then sync to strava like RideWithGPS or WahooFitness.

mystes
May 31, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

Do you mean "heart rate monitor chat" or "bragging about resting heart rate chat"?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

I thought the strava app removed the ability to pair sensors, which is what he's talking about, not using a separate head unit to record and then upload to strava (which, to answer the question, is what the vast majority of us do).

If you're committed to using the phone, you'll need to use another app to record and then sync to strava like RideWithGPS or WahooFitness.

So RideWithGPS will sync to a Strava Account?

That might be the solution to the "auto pause at < 4mph" issue.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There are some things that will autosync (I know Garmin Connect does, no idea if RWGPS does), but anything that generates a GPS track of your activity can be uploaded.

vv They can.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 11, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

VideoGameVet posted:

That might be the solution to the "auto pause at < 4mph" issue.
I believe Garmin head units will let you set a custom auto-pause speed as well. I haven't used one in awhile so I could be wrong.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

I believe Garmin head units will let you set a custom auto-pause speed as well. I haven't used one in awhile so I could be wrong.

This, or you can disable it entirely.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This, or you can disable it entirely.

Ya, disabled auto-pause years ago and just let the software analyze it out after the fact. Especially if you've got a wheel speed sensor that will read true 0 when you're not moving it works just fine.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I’m using Strava for time/distance but have been watching some videos about training strategies and it seems like a power meter might be a future acquisition. I’m also interested in a cycling computer at some point as I don’t like/want my phone mounted on my bike.

I’m not racing and am mostly focused on improving my fitness. It seems like the power meter would be the next step, then the computer?

From what I’ve read, I get the sense that pedals are the low end solution for power meters and hubs the high, with cranksets in the middle, although they can get expensive too.
I think it’s relevant that I’m on an SRAM Force 1 drivetrain.

I see Quarg mentioned quite a bit, and the AXS Force 1 option is around $800 :homebrew:
What other options should I be looking at?

I’m not really in any hurry but might look for a deal after the Christmas fury dies down.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Anza Borrego posted:

I’m using Strava for time/distance but have been watching some videos about training strategies and it seems like a power meter might be a future acquisition. I’m also interested in a cycling computer at some point as I don’t like/want my phone mounted on my bike.

I’m not racing and am mostly focused on improving my fitness. It seems like the power meter would be the next step, then the computer?

From what I’ve read, I get the sense that pedals are the low end solution for power meters and hubs the high, with cranksets in the middle, although they can get expensive too.

I see Quarg mentioned quite a bit, and the AXS Force 1 option is around $800 :homebrew:

I’m not really in any hurry but might look for a deal after the Christmas fury dies down.

I’ll have an FSA Energy crank with a stages for sale here pretty soon (probably after christmas) 172.5mm, 130bcd, BB386.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't think I'd bother, you can do a reasonably decent job just by picking some hills of varying lengths and doing multiple trips up them. Like, say, go up a hill that takes 4-5 minutes to climb 4-5 times. Find another spot where you can do a 20 min continuous effort, do that one like twice in a row. Add a workout like that once or twice a week (but not more), and you should see some good improvement.

That said, I am looking forward to having power on my trainer and in zwift this winter as I'll be able to do a better job at specific workouts. I've also been meaning to get one for my road bike, will probably just go with a stages crank arm PM because it's cheap and easy.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Anza Borrego posted:

First off: power meters definitely are not necessary for improving fitness. They aren't necessary for racing either.
That said, if you've got the money to spend, and are the type of person who is motivated by having numbers to look at, it is a fun thing to have, and does let you add a new dimension to analyzing your training.

Most folks get a computer before a PM - I think the only reason to do otherwise is if you're exclusively training inside.

Hubs are essentially obsolete for power meters. There hasn't been improvement or iteration on them in years, and the company that made them has since been sold to SRAM, with unclear future plans for support.

Cranksets are the best solution for power meters. If you're on 11spd Force 1, a power2max ngeco is an awesome option. if you're on 12spd... I think you only need the power meter spider: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/pm-axs-spdr-d1, so a bit cheaper.

Pedals work fine, but lock you in to Look-style cleats, which not everyone prefers. Preferred option there is the Favero Assioma pedals that are priced at ~$650.

You can also get a left-crank-only power meter for between $250-$300 - this is ABSOLUTELY all you need for training purposes, and also doesn't suffer from supply chain issues plaguing many other components.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I know the fat people bike clothes chat was a while back but I saw this site and it made me laugh at how brazen it is:

https://fatladattheback.com/

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

For at least two months Strava (app to record bike rides etc.) has been messing up my ride times and calories. Yesterday I figured out the bug.

Strava (on the iPhone) now goes into AUTO-PAUSE at speeds under 4mph.

Since almost all my rides involve double-digit grade climbs at 2.7 mph to 3.8mph, Strava is messing up the times on every ride. It gets the distance right, it even gets the route, but it messes up the time ridden.

See the compare on this ride.

The speed threshold for auto pause is a good bit lower than 4mph (it's not hard to confirm this by looking at activities with auto pause enabled that were going slower than 4mph and didn't pause); if you weren't actually going substantially slower than that, it is likely that your phone was misreporting your speed as being 0 or very near it. The easy solution to that problem, if you don't particularly care for autopause to begin with, is to disable it, as someone else mentioned.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Trying a new mod for GTAV that lets me ride bikes around Los Santos via my trainer.

Being able to stick high explosives to the hood of tail gaters is pretty drat fun.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I think Strava has HR tracking in beta right now. Check your app to see if it randomly has the feature

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
My strava has HR data tracked from my watch

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Steve French posted:

The speed threshold for auto pause is a good bit lower than 4mph (it's not hard to confirm this by looking at activities with auto pause enabled that were going slower than 4mph and didn't pause); if you weren't actually going substantially slower than that, it is likely that your phone was misreporting your speed as being 0 or very near it. The easy solution to that problem, if you don't particularly care for autopause to begin with, is to disable it, as someone else mentioned.

How? I'd love to disable auto-pause but I don't see that in the app.

And I can absolutely see the auto-pause happening at 3.8mph.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Is this the thread to talk about possible bike shopping?

My junkyard frankenbike is kaput - the shop called and we stopped the work when they decided I'd need both derailleurs replaced, bringing the total cost of repairs (new BB, new crank, new chain, new freewheel set, + new derailleurs + labour) up into the range of a brand-new bicycle. So this morning I chatted with them at the shop and we looked at what they've got on the floor. As you all know, global supply issues for bikes means what-you-see-is-what-you-can-get, orders have unknown delivery times that are likely early-mid next year.

Fortunately, they had a couple of bikes in my size (L) and not for outrageous (to me) prices. The main one I'm considering is a Giant Talon 3.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/talon-3
It's an aluminium hardtail with hydraulic disk brakes and 2 x 7 gears. They're selling it at the MSRP of $679 AUD. The one they have is all black, boringly. I'm assuming paint and/or tape is an easy way to make a boring black bicycle look less boring.

Australian dollars to Americabucks is 0.73, so in greenbacks that's just under $500.
They also had a commuter bike, which I didn't write down the details (manufacturer, model) for $599 AUD that comes with fenders & and rear rack.

I was planning on buying myself a new-to-me bike for christmas, this seems to me just an acceleration of that timetable - early present for me! And I can afford to spend that much money right now, it won't seriously affect my medium- and long-term financial plans (just longer to replace my camera).

I'm also going to have a look at the used market but I don't have a car so anything I'm considering has to be pretty local, and this is not a big city. I like this LBS but there is another in town that carries Norco bikes, and the Storm 5 would be about the same price if available - I haven't checked what the second LBS has on the floor right now.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

bicievino posted:

First off: power meters definitely are not necessary for improving fitness. They aren't necessary for racing either.
That said, if you've got the money to spend, and are the type of person who is motivated by having numbers to look at, it is a fun thing to have, and does let you add a new dimension to analyzing your training.

I was on my phone and was being a little brief. I have some disposable income for cycling, but it's not unlimited - seems like some lean times will be on us all soon. My riding style is inconsistent, so on top of being a data-driven person I think that the pace management part would be particularly good for me.

quote:

Most folks get a computer before a PM - I think the only reason to do otherwise is if you're exclusively training inside.

The cost difference alone makes sense in this regard.

quote:

Hubs are essentially obsolete for power meters. There hasn't been improvement or iteration on them in years, and the company that made them has since been sold to SRAM, with unclear future plans for support.

Cranksets are the best solution for power meters. If you're on 11spd Force 1, a power2max ngeco is an awesome option. if you're on 12spd... I think you only need the power meter spider: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/pm-axs-spdr-d1, so a bit cheaper.

Pedals work fine, but lock you in to Look-style cleats, which not everyone prefers. Preferred option there is the Favero Assioma pedals that are priced at ~$650.

You can also get a left-crank-only power meter for between $250-$300 - this is ABSOLUTELY all you need for training purposes, and also doesn't suffer from supply chain issues plaguing many other components.

I just spent some time on Power2Max's website, thanks for that.
The SRAM options is only $500, so that's much better than expected.

e.pilot posted:

I’ll have an FSA Energy crank with a stages for sale here pretty soon (probably after christmas) 172.5mm, 130bcd, BB386.

I have no idea what fits my bike but I know what to look for now.

jamal posted:

I don't think I'd bother, you can do a reasonably decent job just by picking some hills of varying lengths and doing multiple trips up them. Like, say, go up a hill that takes 4-5 minutes to climb 4-5 times. Find another spot where you can do a 20 min continuous effort, do that one like twice in a row. Add a workout like that once or twice a week (but not more), and you should see some good improvement.

That said, I am looking forward to having power on my trainer and in zwift this winter as I'll be able to do a better job at specific workouts. I've also been meaning to get one for my road bike, will probably just go with a stages crank arm PM because it's cheap and easy.

All of this makes me realize I need to read/watch more about cycling training, but I do get your point that upgrades and gear aren't essential.

Thanks y'all.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Anza Borrego posted:

The cost difference alone makes sense in this regard.

There may or may not be a smartphone app for the power meter you're looking at, but a bike computer will always connect to it, display the data you want to see while you're riding, and handle your ride data (storage and uploads). You'd be able to put workouts on your bike computer and follow along. Or you could put routes you make on it, just go out and not worry about your phone dying on you.

It doesn't really make sense to get a power meter before a bike computer in any way.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

How? I'd love to disable auto-pause but I don't see that in the app.

And I can absolutely see the auto-pause happening at 3.8mph.

If you’re on iOS, go to the record screen, hit settings in the upper left. Autopause settings should be on that screen.

If you see data points at 3.8mph, that means it was included in the data and not removed by autopause. OS location services can sometimes do funny things and result in some hard to interpret data (like reporting 0 speed when maybe it’s not really 0?) caveat: not a mobile dev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Anza Borrego posted:

You can use your existing 11-speed crankarms and chainring with a Power2Max NGeco spider (3-bolt direct mount) like bicievino mentioned. You would not be able to use your existing cranks with a modern Quarq DZero or AXS spider because those use an 8-bolt interface.