Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Banner Comics #3 (1941)

Marvel Boy #1 (1950)

Rocky and His Fiendish Friends #1 (1962)

Secrets of Haunted House #37 (1981)

Spider-Man Team-Up #2 (1996)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Expected a Goldilocks situation there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Darthemed posted:

Banner Comics #3 (1941)

:eyepop:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Banner Comics #3 (1941)

That's great.

Ben Grimm is sent back to WW2 New York and look who he meets

Also

bessantj fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 11, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is Ben Grimm wearing a Thing suit there or what?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Looks like it... there was a time when he was cured but had to pretend not to be for reasons (?) so Reed built Thing-shaped power armour.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is Ben Grimm wearing a Thing suit there or what?

Yeah, he had one for a bit when he was depowered. It showed up again in Matt Fraction's FF (not to be confused with F4) where Scott Lang, Medusa, Johnny's latest squeeze and She-Hulk replaced the F4. Johnny's girlfriend wore it and went by Miss Thing. I can't remember her actual name though.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Darla Deering

...why can I remember that without needing google, but can’t remember my parents’ birthdays?

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
well stan lee made his characters names alliterative so that they would be easier to remember, so...

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Felicia's henchman, Bruno, also used it when they broke into the F4's place in Black Cat #5.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thing suit, do your thing!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Felicia's henchman, Bruno, also used it when they broke into the F4's place in Black Cat #5.

I was enjoying this book, but haven't seen it show up in the last few months. I guess it got canceled? Last issue I got is #12 and has a "to be continued" at the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, he had one for a bit when he was depowered. It showed up again in Matt Fraction's FF (not to be confused with F4) where Scott Lang, Medusa, Johnny's latest squeeze and She-Hulk replaced the F4. Johnny's girlfriend wore it and went by Miss Thing. I can't remember her actual name though.

Fraction's time on F4 was really weird. He was writing both the regular Fantastic Four book and a Future Foundation book and the actual F4 book sucked, while the FF book ruled.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

When you're trying to compliment someone on their skin but you are awkward as hell:
(right to left)

Fly Me to the Moon v2

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Blastaar rules give me an event dedicated to Blastaar Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kevin Palpatine posted:

well stan lee made his characters names alliterative so that they would be easier to remember, so...

And then would still forget their names.

Hence Robert Bruce Banner, and an old comic, they wisely decided to ignore, revealing Spider-Man's secret identity is "Peter Palmer"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Push El Burrito posted:

Blastaar rules give me an event dedicated to Blastaar Marvel.

It wasn't exactly an event but he's a main player in Annihilation: Scourge.
Also side note, I always read Blastaar in Brian Blessed's voice

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Saoshyant posted:

I was enjoying this book, but haven't seen it show up in the last few months. I guess it got canceled? Last issue I got is #12 and has a "to be continued" at the end.

Relaunch with a new #1 December 16th. Starting with a 3-issue King in Black arc, then back to the Black Cat main plot business with #4.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #9 (1941)

Tales from the Crypt #28 (1952)

The Fantastic Four #15 (1963)

What If? #38 (1983)

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane #13 (2007)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Darthemed posted:

The Fantastic Four #15 (1963)

It's kinda astonishing how much Stan Lee and Jack Kirby struggled with making "able to turn invisible at will" into a useful super power.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Skwirl posted:

It's kinda astonishing how much Stan Lee and Jack Kirby struggled with making "able to turn invisible at will" into a useful super power.

If I had to guess, I'd say the "invisible" part of her title wasn't the real source of the Invisible Woman's problem with the writers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A woman with the power to be heard but not seen, instead of the other way around!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

oriongates posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say the "invisible" part of her title wasn't the real source of the Invisible Woman's problem with the writers.

Considering she was never called the Invisible Woman until decades after Stan and Jack left the book, you might be right.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Considering she was never called the Invisible Woman until decades after Stan and Jack left the book, you might be right.

In F4 #169 Luke Cage asks Sue why she doesn't call herself the Invisible Woman this is what she say:

The long and unwieldy Invisible Woman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I had this criticism for Darla, too, but it seems to me like if you're not wearing the head part of the suit and try to fist fight someone of the Thing's power level, you're just asking to get your head turned into gazpacho when they land one good jab.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I had this criticism for Darla, too, but it seems to me like if you're not wearing the head part of the suit and try to fist fight someone of the Thing's power level, you're just asking to get your head turned into gazpacho when they land one good jab.

Didn't she have a clear helmet? Like a space helmet from fifties sci-fi films?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Didn't she have a clear helmet? Like a space helmet from fifties sci-fi films?

That'd make sense. That goon is cruising for a spaghetti-ing though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

bessantj posted:

In F4 #169 Luke Cage asks Sue why she doesn't call herself the Invisible Woman this is what she say:

Wow, throwing shade at Charles Xavier

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Our Flag Comics #1 (1941)

The Thing! #1 (1952)

Not Brand Echh #4 (1967)

Flaming Carrot Comics #10 (1985)

Skrull Kill Krew #4 (2009)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Not only that, but I can see the torque from throwing a punch causing the neckline of the suit snapping your neck.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Flaming Carrot Comics #10 (1985)

I haven't thought of T. M. Maple in years. Didn't I hear that he died?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Random Stranger posted:

I haven't thought of T. M. Maple in years. Didn't I hear that he died?
Wikipedia says he clocked out in 1994.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
https://twitter.com/YotsubaScreens/status/1326955421249265670

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

bessantj posted:

Compare to Peter Parker, who depending on the depiction was a literal school kid when he got his powers but was always and will forever be SpiderMAN.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #12 (1941)

Adventures into the Unknown! #52 (1954)

The Twilight Zone #22 (1967)

Silver Surfer #8 (1988)

X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever #1 (2016)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I won't lie, Invisible Girl has a better ring to it than Invisible Woman but I love how that panel is 0 for 2. Not only does she infantilize herself but she also takes an anti-PC dig at using gender neutral terms.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Darthemed posted:

X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever #1 (2016)

I dunno why, but I read that at first as 'brooding and making out and dressing each other weirdly basdass.'

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Silver Surfer #8 (1988)
If I remember correctly, a hell of a lot of that issue qualifies.

Silver Surfer #8 (1988)
drat shame he lost that coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darthemed posted:

[

The Twilight Zone #22 (1967)

I'm also ready to forget 2020.