Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i was lucky enough to get into vinyl just in time to get retail versions of revolver and rubber soul in mono before they went out of stock/press. only ones I'd REALLY love now are White, Pepper, and Tour, but I'd be looking at like 500 bucks for all three for gently caress sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

The Walrus posted:

i was lucky enough to get into vinyl just in time to get retail versions of revolver and rubber soul in mono before they went out of stock/press. only ones I'd REALLY love now are White, Pepper, and Tour, but I'd be looking at like 500 bucks for all three for gently caress sake.

Nah you have to to be cool like me* and have random Beatles CDs from 1987 that were forced into stereo very badly. Nothing else will do.

*May not actually be cool.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Walrus posted:

I mean. They are Beatles albums. There are millions out there and I'm pretty sure they will be re pressed forever.

Turbinosamente posted:

I too zeroed in on that with my jealousy, instead of your fine cabinetry with the doors in a cool checkered pattern.

Also they're heeeeeeeere:

Though I am down to a potato camera for pictures at the moment. And the other half I ordered later have yet to arrive.

Sweet. Looks like mine just shipped. Had forgotten I had ordered that Mort Garson record.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

The Walrus posted:

is that a Beatles in Mono? jealous.

No, unfortunately. It's actually not even records. Back when they remastered everything there was a box you could buy with spots to put your CDs in, and it has a couple books inside. It's nice box, and I was working at HMV at the time so I got a deal on it. I just have old Beatles records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Walrus posted:

You can get the Capitol pressing of MMT for fairly cheap, I know it's not as good as those reissues but not bad either. The original UK EP occasionally pops up for 40ish bucks if you get a VG, which I have and it's not too bad. It looks worse than it sounds. If all else fails the 09 CD remasters sound really good too and they were selling those separately a couple years after the box set. I don't know about now. I lucked out on the mono CDs because I was in a Newbury Comics after the CD box and before the mono LP reissues and they'd parted out the box so I was able to buy a few of them for not too much as they were used. If you haven't heard it mono MMT is kind of weird. Some of the familar sounds are absent on Blue Jay Way and I Am The Walrus. Your Mother Should know has this weird effect on it for half the song.

sporklift posted:

Sweet. Looks like mine just shipped. Had forgotten I had ordered that Mort Garson record.

They took the mono reissues out of print a couple years ago and they fetch high prices now. It's a shame because they were all analog pressings. I really have no idea why they did this because people were really begging for mono reissues on any format for decades. At the very least the 09 CDs in stereo (bad stereo mixes aside) or mono were a godsend. The Past Masters mono LP is still in print which makes it all the more baffling that they'd put the rest OOP. It's not like people won't buy them.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I always find it funny when something like the Mono box set doesn't sell so they put it in the bargain bin and then two years later everyone wants it. Happened a lot when I was collecting comics/ graphic novels.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

I always find it funny when something like the Mono box set doesn't sell so they put it in the bargain bin and then two years later everyone wants it. Happened a lot when I was collecting comics/ graphic novels.

Yeah that's what happens with those hardcover omnibus collections Marvel puts out. No one buys it because the cover price is 125 bucks or more. Then they pile up in the warehouse so they sell them for cheap wholesale to stores and those stores sell them for thirty or forty bucks, they sell out, and then everyone floods ebay and pays over a hundred dollars for them. A lot of that poo poo ends up going back into print later on too but people will still pay premiums for stuff because it's hardcover even if the paperback never went OOP. I also remember seeing multiple copies of Demon Days collecting dust in a Newbury Comics for a couple of years. Something something capitalism, supply and demand.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

sporklift posted:

I literally bought it in 2016 off Amazon for $97 Canadian. I think it was a very short lived pricing error though.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

no broccoli please posted:

No, unfortunately. It's actually not even records. Back when they remastered everything there was a box you could buy with spots to put your CDs in, and it has a couple books inside. It's nice box, and I was working at HMV at the time so I got a deal on it. I just have old Beatles records.

This actually kicks rear end too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Not a bad deal for 21 records. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S65DG37/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dlC_5uEQFbASNWADC

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Awesome. I have been eyeing this for a year but even though I have a soft spot for him, I wasn’t gonna drop $65 for Garth loving Brooks. I nearly bought the Limited edition last week on eBay for $48 shipped, glad I held off. I can sell off the two others at a low price and make back what it cost me. Free records for Christmas!

Thank you!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Awesome. I have been eyeing this for a year but even though I have a soft spot for him, I wasn’t gonna drop $65 for Garth loving Brooks. I nearly bought the Limited edition last week on eBay for $48 shipped, glad I held off. I can sell off the two others at a low price and make back what it cost me. Free records for Christmas!

Thank you!

There are single sets for $18

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pfffft, it WOULD be a good deal if it had Chris Gaines Greatest Hits.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Pfffft, it WOULD be a good deal if it had Chris Gaines Greatest Hits.

DonGlover is a fan.
https://youtu.be/yBPKdl_YeqE

pwn
May 27, 2004

I’m ashamed to admit: I really enjoyed Chris Gaines Greatest Hits back in the day. This was a delightful cover. I’m gonna have to give that disc a spin again soon and see if it holds up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From the Trump thread:

Prettz posted:

from a while back, but lol

I so need to find a place that does custom slipmats.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...why would they make this and have it only include half the records he put out pre-gaines? like, I don't like his stuff, the only reason I'm aware of the shape of his discography is because my parents had his tapes jammed into the tape player in the car through most of the 90s. but dude put out eight studio records pre-gaines, this has four of those, and they're not chronological, they skip around. who is this box (these boxes) for?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

From the Trump thread:

I so need to find a place that does custom slipmats.

There’s 10,000 places

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I used myslipmats.com and was very satisfied with the quality. The cost of the mat itself wasn't too bad for being custom ($12.50), but shipping from Poland meant the total cost was around 23 bucks. Still fine with me because it's the only one I need\want, but ymmv if you're just wanting a joke one. Also note that this was about two years ago, so I can't vouch for them still being in business or whatever.

E: a pic for reference, even though I think I recently posted it in here.

pwn
May 27, 2004

hexwren posted:

...why would they make this and have it only include half the records he put out pre-gaines? like, I don't like his stuff, the only reason I'm aware of the shape of his discography is because my parents had his tapes jammed into the tape player in the car through most of the 90s. but dude put out eight studio records pre-gaines, this has four of those, and they're not chronological, they skip around. who is this box (these boxes) for?

Yeah it’s dumb as gently caress, I’m guessing he’s leaving room for a second set. Of his original 8 studio non-Christmas records, this is exactly half of them, and two of the big ones everyone would want (ST and Ropin’ the Wind) are conspicuously absent. But if all the hot sellers were together in set 1, what would sell set 2? Despite some stock being remaindered now a year after release, the sets sold spectacularly well, so there is a good chance of a second set sometime in the future.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

hexwren posted:

quote:

"Brooks based the box set’s contents on logistics -- 1997’s Sevens didn’t make the cut because it would have had to be double vinyl -- and the albums whose songs make up the bulk of his live show. “I can’t imagine doing a Garth Brooks vinyl set without getting to hear ‘The Thunder Rolls’ on vinyl,’” he says. “When In Pieces fell in, that made me extremely happy because that’s our stadium show right there: ‘Standing Outside the Fire,’ ‘Calling Baton Rouge.’”

I just can't wait to do another holiday vinyl exchange with one of these things. (:pray:; For seeing friends in 2021)

sporklift fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 11, 2020

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Haven't posted here in ages, no ones cares I'm nothing close to a regular, but we haven't stopped getting records. At some point, I need to upgrade the connected speakers to a legit nice sound system but we still love it. Any night my lady and I are home together we put on something and the kids pick out records too.
It really is awesome how much this has brought us together.

Anywho.....my recent record splurges

Garth Brooks Legacy Collection(Pre-ordered the drat thing)
Daft Punk "Random Access Memory"
St Paul & The Broken Bones "Sea of noise" "Young Sick Camellia" "Half the City"
Amy Winehouse "Back to Black"
Solange "When I Get Home"
Lana Del Rey "Paradise"
Norah Jones "Begin Again"
Florence & the Machine "Lungs"
Bruce Springsteen "Letter to You" "Western Star" "Born in the USA"
Rayland Baxter "Wide Awake"
KT Tunstall "Wax"
Swarvy "Sunny Days Blue"
Lapsley "Through the Water"
Diana Ross & The Supremes

A few Beatles records, Queens Greatest Hits........and maybe something else?

We are gradually filling up our current TV stand with Records and it's bad rear end.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Is that new Springsteen record any good

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Is that new Springsteen record any good

Starts out nice and low key, builds from the first song on. We enjoy it. The only odd thing is that they have a A, B and C side. Nothing on the D side of the 2nd record......which strikes me as super odd.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Starts out nice and low key, builds from the first song on. We enjoy it. The only odd thing is that they have a A, B and C side. Nothing on the D side of the 2nd record......which strikes me as super odd.

it happens every so often. there's albums where there's too much material to fit on one record without cramming the grooves in too close and making it sound lovely. sometimes it's because the record started out on cd and that's just how long it is, sometimes it's just how the artist wants to do it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I wish more 50-60 minute records would be on three sides.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does anybody know why the gently caress they would have printed a 2 disc record as A->D on one disc and B->C on the second disc? I have a Gabor Szabo's Greatest Hits album printed this way.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Heath posted:

Does anybody know why the gently caress they would have printed a 2 disc record as A->D on one disc and B->C on the second disc? I have a Gabor Szabo's Greatest Hits album printed this way.

I have that exact same album! And yes, the record labeling totally sucks!

As for the reason: automatic record changers. They were a thing once.

https://youtu.be/GuoFW2yAD7g

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Heath posted:

Planet of Ice by Minus The Bear had this too and it pissed me off because nobody owns an automatic record changer, ya jerks.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Wait until you get a 3-LP set like this (for example, ELP's Welcome Back My Friends)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Titus Andronicus Most Lamentable Tragedy:

quote:

A Rock Opera In Five Acts

Sides A and B are on opposite sides of a single LP (LP1).
Sides C and E are on opposite sides of the 12", 45 RPM record (LP2).
Sides D and F are on opposite sides of a single LP (LP3).
From the included download card:
Play order: LP1, Side One / LP1, Side Two / LP2, Side Three / LP3, Side Four / LP2, Side Five / LP3, Side Six

The action on Disc Two takes place one hundred years in the past. Things moved a lot slower back then.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Heath posted:

i have like 8 records printed this way and they catch me out every time i listen to them

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
LCD soundsystems live album is split up all weird over like six or seven LPs and it’s loving maddening to actually play as a result

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I thought LCD Soundsystem did that for DJs, so you could cue up the next side and keep the music going

Edit: I now want to make the most obnoxious album. Side 1 you play on side 1 of disc 1 until you got a locked groove on the middle. Side two is side 1 of disc 2, but it switches between 33 1/3 and 45 rpm between songs. Side 3 is on Side 1 of disc 1, but you play it from the center of the record until you hit the locked groove.

Side 3 is on Side 2 of Disc 2. Side 4 is also on Side 2 of Disc 2. You just have to keep dropping the needle until you get side 4. Parallel grooves, baby.

Side 5 is on Side 2 of Disc 1. After all that, you deserve a break.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 11, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Impossible Soul on Sufjan Stevens' Age of Adz on Side 4 cuts off the last couple minutes and sticks it at the end of disc 3. Lamest goes to The Residents who'll just cut their albums down for vinyl and then ask you to buy the CD version to get the "full album." Rude.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Edit: I now want to make the most obnoxious album. Side 1 you play on side 1 of disc 1 until you got a locked groove on the middle. Side two is side 1 of disc 2, but it switches between 33 1/3 and 45 rpm between songs. Side 3 is on Side 1 of disc 1, but you play it from the center of the record until you hit the locked groove.
Get outta here, Jack White.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 11, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The cassette version of Rush Caress of Steel put I Think Im Going Bald right in the middle of Fountain of Lamneth, if I remember what being 13 years old was like again.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

thrilla in vanilla posted:

LCD soundsystems live album is split up all weird over like six or seven LPs and it’s loving maddening to actually play as a result

hexwren posted:

I understand the AD/BC 2LP thing from back in the day, it was because you'd have automatic changers and would flip the stack at the halfway point, but I don't quite get the AC/BD/EH/FI/GJ configuration on the LCD concert. At first i thought it was, as mentioned, for DJs, who'd have two turntables (but who would be playing the whole concert in a DJ setting?) until I got to the last three LPs and it actually requires three turntables or two with a bit more switching than the first two discs imply:

LP1, side A on turntable 1; LP2, side B on turntable 2.
Play A, Cue B, Flip LP1
LP1, side C on turntable 1; LP2, side B on turntable 2.
Play B, Cue C, Flip LP2
LP1, side C on turntable 1; LP2, side D on turntable 2.
Play C, Cue D, swap LP1 for LP3
LP3, side E on turntable 1; LP2, side D on turntable 2.
Play D, Cue E, swap LP2 for LP4
LP3, side E on turntable 1; LP4, side F on turntable 2.
Play E, Cue F, swap LP3 for LP 5
LP5, side G on turntable 1; LP 4, side F on turntable 2.
Play F, Cue G, swap LP4 for LP 3
LP5, side G on turntable 1; LP 3, side H on turntable 2.
Play G, Cue H, swap LP5 for LP4
LP4, side I on turntable 1; LP 3, side H on turntable 2.
Play H, Cue I, swap LP 3 for LP 5
LP4, side I on turntable 1; LP 5, side J on turntable 2.
Play I, Cue J
Play J

quoting myself because gently caress figuring all that out myself again

hexwren fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 11, 2020

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I thought LCD Soundsystem did that for DJs, so you could cue up the next side and keep the music going

Side 3 is on Side 2 of Disc 2. Side 4 is also on Side 2 of Disc 2. You just have to keep dropping the needle until you get side 4. Parallel grooves, baby.

any excuse to post this mess

quote:

The Dillinger Escape Plan ‎– Cursed, Unshaven, And Misbehavin'

Due to the intricacies of the mastering of this 7", all songs may not be playable on all turntables.
Track A1 begins like a normal 7".
Track A2 begins slightly after the starting point for track A1.
Track B1 begins like a normal 7" but ends on a locked groove in the middle of the vinyl.
Track B2 plays from the inside out and ends in the locked groove in the middle of the vinyl.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Cemetry Gator posted:

That makes sense. I like to play it to just listen to and feel smug for having it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Side C is side 1 of disc 2, but only the left channel, side D is the right.