Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Atopian posted:

So yeah, a terrible violation of civil liberties etc etc but not exactly unprecedented in that the concept of prison exists for people who violate enough community standards.

Several Australians got arrested and chucked in jail because they deliberately tried to sneak across closed state borders or escape from quarantine hotels, if governments are serious about covid rules they need to slap a few wrists to show that they actually mean business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Several Australians got arrested and chucked in jail because they deliberately tried to sneak across closed state borders or escape from quarantine hotels, if governments are serious about covid rules they need to slap a few wrists to show that they actually mean business.

But also had guards watching quarantine hotels spread covid due to having sex with quarantined people lol

Who watches the watchers

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just start busting out the Apaches and miniguns ala Outbreak, that'll get the message across real quick like.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Gildiss posted:

But also had guards watching quarantine hotels spread covid due to having sex with quarantined people lol

Who watches the watchers

Nope, that probably didn't happen.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Zero VGS posted:

If 100% of people did this, it would have been.

Nah. It takes a lot longer than just a 2 week cycle. The thing spreads through families inside homes, so it's not just one cycle of the virus but up to several. Melbourne estimated 3 cycles - 6 weeks - but took about 4 months all told to get the thing back under control. Home spread was a large part of cases. Indeed, government housing with shared laundry/kitchen/etc. facilities was the cause of major clusters that the govt wrestled with for a long time to pull under control.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drat truly dont know if I am glad or sad.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

Nah. It takes a lot longer than just a 2 week cycle. The thing spreads through families inside homes, so it's not just one cycle of the virus but up to several. Melbourne estimated 3 cycles - 6 weeks - but took about 4 months all told to get the thing back under control. Home spread was a large part of cases. Indeed, government housing with shared laundry/kitchen/etc. facilities was the cause of major clusters that the govt wrestled with for a long time to pull under control.

You've also - unless the entire population are preppers and have a month's worth of supplies on hand - got to have *lots* of people who aren't in quarantine, and are in fact visiting every single household in the country to distribute food, fuel, bog roll and the like. Obviously good hygiene practices mean that they're hopefully a very minor vector, but this weird article of faith that some people have that we could solve the problem *once it had reached epidemic levels* by just locking down hard enough for two weeks is completely wrong.

All lockdowns do is slow things down - they're a tool for buying time until you have your actual infection-control measures in place. The fact that so many countries are going into a second lockdown is a failure of governments to implement those infection-control measures effectively, not a punishment for our sins (well maybe our sin of electing successive neoliberal lunatics, but not our sin of occasionally going out for a walk)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

1,465 deaths and 142,212 cases yesterday here in the good ole US of A

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Did you miss reading propaganda to scare parents into maiming their children of plague for Number? No? Well gently caress you: Kids have regressed due to COVID-19 restrictions, with some potty-trained kids going back to diapers, experts say

quote:

One is the "hardest hit" group of young kids. This group has suffered from time out of school and has gone backwards on words and numbers. This group has also reverted to diapers after being potty-trained or lost "basic skills" such as using a knife and fork.

The majority of children are in the middle group and "have slipped back in their learning to varying degrees since schools were closed to most children and movement restricted." According to Spielman, the "lost learning is unarguable, but it is hard to assess."

The doctor said she's seen separation anxiety in children nine months to two years old who have spent so much time in lockdown with their parents that they get anxious leaving them or meeting new people – even their grandparents. 

"They don't know anybody," she said. "Some of my patients said they've made the steps to get COVID tested to finally see their grandparents and then they say their kids are just crying the whole time, because they're so attached to the parents." 

Hes said children can be impacted by not seeing their peers enough – and by being around their parents too much. 

"It's not natural to be with your children this much," she said, adding that in the beginning of the pandemic, it might've been good to have more time with family. "But [kids] need to be with other children," she said.

"If your school is really closed and your child is not seeing other kids, you should do something in your child's best interest to get them into a pod with other kids maybe one or two days a week, or [with] their neighbors, or another family who you trust," while wearing masks, she said. 

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure being cooped up here for 8 months has caused my kid to regress emotionally, but there's no way that's worse than getting covid

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Did you miss reading propaganda to scare parents into maiming their children of plague for Number? No? Well gently caress you: Kids have regressed due to COVID-19 restrictions, with some potty-trained kids going back to diapers, experts say

"It's not natural to be with your children this much" is a big lol considering for thousands of years we all lived in the same poop-stuffed cave or whatever. Sounds needlessly dismissive of what, actually, is going on with these kids.

What they should be saying is "when you fail to have social interaction over a long period of time, at any age, you become less comfortable with social interaction particularly with strangers."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

jokes posted:

"It's not natural to be with your children this much" is a big lol considering for thousands of years we all lived in the same poop-stuffed cave or whatever. Sounds needlessly dismissive of what, actually, is going on with these kids.

What they should be saying is "when you fail to have social interaction over a long period of time, at any age, you become less comfortable with social interaction particularly with strangers."

Yeah that was a bit WTF for me. For the same reason you suggested.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Yeah I'm sure that article is bad for lots of reasons but you come off like you're suggesting that the lack of social interaction many kids are going through is entirely dismissable and without consequence. Surely you didn't mean it like that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I highly doubt that. It didn't seem like he came off like that to me. It's obviously going to have a HUGE effect. And an unfortunate one which we probably don't know the consequences of yet if it's sustained. Just that one line was a really weird thing to say.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Gildiss posted:

drat truly dont know if I am glad or sad.

You know what they say, the odds are good but the goods are carrying a life threatening virus.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i was confined with my wife and four year old child in a small euro apartment with no patio or balcony or any outdoor space for months and my wife and i got along fine but by the end of it i wanted to do terrible things to the child and i am sure he was well sick of me too.

A single person was allowed to go out to get groceries and take out the trash but children were not allowed out at all for most of it. I never imagined taking out the trash would be something to really look forward to. Five minutes to be alone and OUTSIDE it was loving glorious I didn't even care that the dumpster smelled of poo poo.

So whether staying in such prolonged close contact with your parents (and no one else) is so abnormal or not I don't know but as a parent I certainly didn't enjoy it and can imagine it having a severe effect on people of any age.

But anyway, I just don't think it is entirely ridiculous to suggest parents whose kids have had zero contact with other kids and are showing visible signs of psychological damage try to find safe ways to let it happen in a controlled setting :shrug:. If ur kid is doing fine then that's great.

The risk of covid loving sucks and should be mitigated with great care but an entire generation of emotionally and socially stunted babies/toddlers could have some lovely knock-on effects too. I know it has been "only" eight months but vaccines are still a long way away.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I just wanna say it comes off as really, really weird to refer to your own kid as "the child". Maybe it's a language thing?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

There Bias Two posted:

I just wanna say it comes off as really, really weird to refer to your own kid as "the child". Maybe it's a language thing?

seems normal to me, but my children and I greet one another like we're Victorians (because we find it amusing)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

People say it in jest sometimes. It's acceptable and not weird to me. If he said it like in front of the child referring to them as the child then yeah sure.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
man the youngling is really getting on my nerves lately

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mozi posted:

man the youngling is really getting on my nerves lately

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

7 days of 100k+ cases :confuoot:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Children should be many things. “in regular safe social interactions with kids their age” is one of those things. Another thing they should be is “not sick with coronavirus” and, spoiler alert, that one is by far the worst option and people refuse to believe in it still, to this day.

So when someone says something like “these coronavirus countermeasures are loving up the kids” there should be a disclaimer that says “but not as bad as losing all their teeth to a lack of vasculature in their gums or dying” so that it doesn’t come off as dismissive. Like, no, things aren’t normal right now— acting like things should be normal is WHY things aren’t normal. If children are a bit more socially awkward that’s a small price to pay to keep children alive.

Or, in America, you can do the worst of both options and have everyone generally staying inside a bit but not enough to beat the virus. Also everyone goes to bars and restaurants keeping the coronavirus around like a beachball at a concert.

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 11, 2020

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
My spawn is quite irritating I think I will commit Filial cannibalism

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
this is a weird derail but i think it is just my lovely writing style and the limitations of the internet. i don't say that in anything but a joking or sarcastic manner.

I think our kid did pretty drat well considering. If any one of us could have handled it better it was definitely me.

But still, I can't imagine what that kind of limited social interaction could do long term for an even younger kid like a 1-3 year old. Just your grumpy dad and antsy mom to interact with. ugh.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We're in trouble guys. I just got an email from Trump.

quote:

Pennywise,

As I have long said, the success of a coronavirus vaccine would only be announced after the Election.

Pfizer and the others probably didn’t have the courage to make this HISTORIC announcement before November 3rd, because they hoped it would keep me from WINNING BIG.

The truth is, if Joe Biden were President, you wouldn’t have the vaccine for another four years, nor would the U.S. Food and Drug Administration have ever approved it so quickly.

The bureaucracy would have destroyed millions of lives!

We're so screwed.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Away all Goats posted:

7 days of 100k+ cases :confuoot:

we did it folks. we turned the corner

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, kids can still hang out with humans. Spending time with your parents is by far the absolutely most critical aspect of psychological development for kids. It’s not like they either go to school in person or are shoved into a dark hole. Technology also allows them to interact with kids their age without letting them cough on your kid.

naem
May 29, 2011

jokes posted:

I mean, kids can still hang out with humans. Spending time with your parents is by far the absolutely most critical aspect of psychological development for kids. It’s not like they either go to school or are shoved into a dark hole.

kids get to see parents more than they would with both working that’s for sure

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

jokes posted:

its not natural to love your drug addict son tiny domino - biden is the president big domino

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

other people posted:

some lovely knock-on effects

Inescapable regardless of which direction you choose.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Our governor in Ohio announced they are issuing a new mask mandate with more enforcement as well as making people sit and banning dancing/games at bars. Basically a nothing measure like trying to stop a tidal wave with a bucket.

Also announced that if cases don't stop increasing he'll fully close bars and restaurants again next Thursday. He should have just said he was gonna do that today. I don't see the loving point in waiting another week.

Also the loving schools are still open, though some districts are smart and closed them on their own

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
A local healthy 30-year-old died from Covid19, and drat.

https://twitter.com/WGLTNews/status/1325167652701151232?s=19

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I'm still going to work and they're still trying to ramp up COVID protocol enforcement but loving LOL if the Chud's on the Contsruction crew are ever going to even put their masks over their noses, much less stay 6 feet apart. I'm 99% sure somebody is going to test positive this coming Friday and everything will be cancelled. :thumbsup:

How are we going to explain ourselves to future generations? Gonna be a real hard talk to have around the campfires in the global warming refugee camps.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Global daily deaths on worldometers.com just passed +10,000 in a single day for the first time

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Maybe the kids are suffering because the cruelty of the world is laid bare.

Just a thought.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

:siren: WARNING rear end in a top hat FAKE MASK ALERT WARNING :siren:

Just saw this on aliexpress, and everything novel on aliexpress is copied from somewhere else, so this has probably been out in the wild for awhile.
If you see someone wearing a mask that looks like this they want to kill you.

What it claims to be, a cloth mask with a stealth one-way vent, would be a total rear end in a top hat move. But that's not what it is, as shown from these review pictures.

It's just a hole. It's a fake mask to wear places masks are required when you don't want to wear a mask or want to keep your nose above the mask, but also want to avoid confrontations with strangers. I assume whoever originally came up with the design was more upfront with it being a fake mask, but the subtleties didn't translate so the aliexpress knock off is advertising itself with apparent sincerity about it being a non-fogging mask. Anyway, anyone who owns a mask like this will obviously realize it isn't going to do anything. There are angry reviews making that point. And some happy reviews about it being "easier to breath".

So if you see someone wearing a mask that looks like this stay the gently caress away from them, they want you dead.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

When do we go from exponential to logarithmic growth?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ultimate Mango posted:

When do we go from exponential to logarithmic growth?

When do we grow positively towards the negative? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1326077154518556672

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1326726690165428224

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1326324367899455488

Alberta is encouraging people not to have gatherings in their homes ...................... but have them in bars and restaurants instead
https://twitter.com/YourAlberta/status/1324901899003437056

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 12, 2020