Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure that was revealed in V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah that's in V

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Wasn't Tony Redgrave the name Dante took on for while (and then just dropped)? His mother called him Dante.

Also in my recent playthrough of the series I'm a bit confused as to the timeline of events. Did Dante start off by naming his business Devil May Cry, change it to Devils Never Cry at the end of 1, and then change it back some time after 2? Also he was stuck in hell at the end of 2, did they ever explain anything about him getting out, or did Capcom just throw in the towel on dealing with that game and just said gently caress it 4 takes place after.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Until 5, 2 was canonically the end of the series. Now, with 5, 2 is either completely retconned out of the timeline or it takes place sometime between 1 and 4 and then was never mentioned again.

Technically it could have happened between 4-5, but that seems extremely wonky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly it's best to just treat DMC2 like DmC and assume it is its own thing since aside from introducing Rebellion and the idea of a powered-up DT for Dante I don't think it ever really comes up and Rebellion is better introduced by DMC3 anyway.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Lore Wise, DMC 2 happened.
Lucia and Matier appear in the prequel novel for V, which also shows how Dante got Balrog. Just like the Anime happened. It's just not treated as important , Dante got a gig, killed a slightly strong demon, toured hell for a while and came back. Which is for the best.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The fact that you fight Dante twice and it doesn't feel like a rip off is pretty amazing, and a testament to how hard the dev team worked to make the fights feel distinct. Like, in mission 19, you fight Dante, but in mission 20, you fight

D A N T E
~from the Devil May Cry series~

And it's great. Worth noting; now you get to experience firsthand how it feels to be on the receiving end of Dante's Omega Bullshit Sin DT super move. :negative:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

I don't really do the whole Vaati thing with my james but I always got the notion that there was some event mid-to-late childhood that dante/vergil/both went through that resulted in vergil going all criminal minds over his mom getting killed as a kid

I think this is somewhere in the manga as well. Dante and Virgils mom could only help Dante as she died trying to get to Virgil. Meanwhile Virgil had to survive on his own and his whole need more power complex comes from him wanting to not be alone and scared kinda thing.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

ManlyGrunting posted:

I love all the hints that 5 gives out about how Vergil is secretly just as much of a dork as Dante

in dmc3 when dante shows up at the top of the tower making lame jokes vergil doesn't brush him off or call him a dumbass - he quips back

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Momomo posted:

Wasn't Tony Redgrave the name Dante took on for while (and then just dropped)? His mother called him Dante.

Also in my recent playthrough of the series I'm a bit confused as to the timeline of events. Did Dante start off by naming his business Devil May Cry, change it to Devils Never Cry at the end of 1, and then change it back some time after 2? Also he was stuck in hell at the end of 2, did they ever explain anything about him getting out, or did Capcom just throw in the towel on dealing with that game and just said gently caress it 4 takes place after.

The timeline is 3 1 2 4 5 now. They pretty much retconned out the Devils Never Cry name change and don't really bother addressing how Dante escaped from hell. Or it was in a manga? I dunno, I haven't kept up with the manga.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
With that I just treat 2's Dante as still being im mourning after Super Definitely For Real This Time (tm) killing Vergil.

You know, when I hate myself enough to play/care about DMC2 (featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm sure someone tried to ask Dante how he got back from Hell and he just shrugged his shoulders and said "i'unno" and it was never brought up again

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AccountingNightmare posted:

HOLY poo poo

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObservantCrispyAniseANELE

I have tasted my own medicine and IT IS BITTER

Man this is the best series in the world for both making you feel like a badass when you pull off cool stuff, and then making you feel like a badass when you have to fight yourself and you go "Wait what I was doing THAT"

I didn't think I was gonna pay $40 to play the game again but this is looking like a good excuse to buy something that looks nice for next gen, and also play more DMC5. I think Capcom took back the Action Game crown from Platinum with this one.

Can we bring across save files from the PS4 game or will I need to unlock everything again?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now we just need playable Lady and Trish again and I can die happy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The timeline is 3 1 2 4 5 now.

I thought it was 3 1 4 2 as per the title of the graphic art book Devil May Cry: 3142 Graphic Arts that came out in 2013/15? It was supposedly named that way as it was in chronological order.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I thought it was 3 1 4 2 as per the title of the graphic art book Devil May Cry: 3142 Graphic Arts that came out in 2013/15? It was supposedly named that way as it was in chronological order.

You're right, it actually was 3 1 4 2 originally! But in the marketing for DMC5, they retconned the timeline and swapped 2 and 4 around. It seems kinda silly but I can think of a couple reasons for it. One is that it simplifies things a lot (the games are in numerical order now except for 3, which is a prequel). The other reason is that they were hyping up DMC5 as a direct sequel to DMC4, and 2 kinda just got in the way.

This is the promotional video for the new timeline!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-weSxGGzxY

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You're right, it actually was 3 1 4 2 originally! But in the marketing for DMC5, they retconned the timeline and swapped 2 and 4 around. It seems kinda silly but I can think of a couple reasons for it. One is that it simplifies things a lot (the games are in numerical order now except for 3, which is a prequel). The other reason is that they were hyping up DMC5 as a direct sequel to DMC4, and 2 kinda just got in the way.

This is the promotional video for the new timeline!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-weSxGGzxY

Ah, gotcha.

Also I'd forgotten about that video which just straight up goes "yeah and then 2 exists but anyway, onto 4..." Beautiful. :lol:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Namnesor posted:

I'm sure someone tried to ask Dante how he got back from Hell and he just shrugged his shoulders and said "i'unno" and it was never brought up again

My head cannon is some goober/shut in demon worshipper was trying to summon a demon by opening a portal to hell and Dante surfs out of it on an electric guitar made of bats before rolling across the floor, scooping his last beer out of the fridge on the way out, and closing the door behind him on the way out just hard enough that all of the evil wizard痴 candles and picture frames and cabinets get hosed up a second after he walks out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Are we sure they are twins? Because that is VERY much an older brother thing for Virgil to say lol

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Momomo posted:

the devils never cry thing was apparently explained in a fuckin audio drama cd for the anime.

basically trish and dante worked together for awhile (before the anime starts) - however, the dmc version of enzo who is like an antique/black market dealer sends dante and trish on a job to find what turns out to be a devil arm gun that makes the user start shootin people. enzo gets affected and gets his arm chopped off by dante as the only way to save him
afterwards trish decides upon seeing dante feel like poo poo for not bein able to do anything else that she's gonna travel the world to prevent that kinda stuff from happening to other folks. before she leaves, she asks dante to change the name back to "devil may cry" because "devil never cry" is the name she associates with the two of em workin the business

its also where the lore of dante selling all his weapons betweens games comes from- he feels bad for enzo so he pawns them off to enzo as an IOU for the money he keeps borrowing

its just that nobody will buy them because they are all too dangerous and actively try to kill anyone who isnt dante using them lol

as for dmc2 its basically just another tuesday for him as per the dmc5 prequel novel. he checks out the island bc of the connection to his dad but otherwise he cant remember poo poo besides fighting an ape and getting stuck in hell. literally the way he escapes is finding a random portal cut open by demons using tiny fragments of yamato to hop the border

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

are you able to carry over saves between the PS4 and PS5 versions of DMCV

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Fereydun posted:

its just that nobody will buy them because they are all too dangerous and actively try to kill anyone who isnt dante using them lol

I mean they actively try to kill dante too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

:same:

DMC5: Super Even More Complete Edition: Turbo: The Movie: The Game

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Jack Trades posted:

You know I thought about this and wouldn't Covid make the model stuff they have to do take longer?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SirKibbles posted:

You know I thought about this and wouldn't Covid make the model stuff they have to do take longer?

I知 a patient man

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The new cinematics seem to support that theory as they are clearly fully rendered instead of motion capture. They are kinda jarring.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I thought the new edition came out with the console launches and I was bummed when I found out that wasn稚 the case. Oh well, next weekend.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

I thought the new edition came out with the console launches and I was bummed when I found out that wasn’t the case. Oh well, next weekend.

It does.

If you mean Vergil DLC for the old versions, that's not out until December 15th.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Peewi posted:

It does.

If you mean Vergil DLC for the old versions, that's not out until December 15th.

The special edition is a pre order for the 17th on the Microsoft store. Maybe I知 mistaken I値l take a closer look.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Happy Hedonist posted:

The special edition is a pre order for the 17th on the Microsoft store. Maybe I知 mistaken I値l take a closer look.

The pre-order bonus of 100k Red Orbs lasts until the 17th as a grace period for the logistics of shipping out the new consoles and such. The Special Edition is available digitally for them right now, physical copies and the Vergil DLC for last gen consoles comes out next month.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:same:

DMC5: Super Even More Complete Edition: Turbo: The Movie: The Game

DMC5:Hyper Fighting: Ladies Night

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

The pre-order bonus of 100k Red Orbs lasts until the 17th as a grace period for the logistics of shipping out the new consoles and such. The Special Edition is available digitally for them right now, physical copies and the Vergil DLC for last gen consoles comes out next month.

Oh drat, I知 a moron. Downloading for xsx now!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Vergil has me highly motivated.

(he's very fun holy gently caress)

Edit: Looks like you can chain JCs with proper timing; no need for cancelling with air trick, just time it well. I've only managed to chain like 3, but hey, I'm glad you can do it.

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 16, 2020

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I gotta say, I'm impressed that they managed to capture exactly how sporadic and aggressive you have to be as Dante to fight against Vergil. He's way more active in his fight than Vergil is and the roles really do feel entirely reversed.

Vergil is a lot of fun to use, but I keep having a problem getting him to do the big attacks. A majority of the time I'll be in SDT and he just doesn't do the attacks even though I'm pressing all the right buttons.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Don't they also require you to spend Concentration gauge? Maybe you don't have enough?

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Momomo posted:

I gotta say, I'm impressed that they managed to capture exactly how sporadic and aggressive you have to be as Dante to fight against Vergil. He's way more active in his fight than Vergil is and the roles really do feel entirely reversed.

Vergil is a lot of fun to use, but I keep having a problem getting him to do the big attacks. A majority of the time I'll be in SDT and he just doesn't do the attacks even though I'm pressing all the right buttons.

It's always best to reset the camera with R3 and then do the input. You've got to be at Concentration level 3 for it.

Jack Trades posted:

Don't they also require you to spend Concentration gauge? Maybe you don't have enough?

It doesn't spend the concentration gauge. It spends all of your Sin DT meter if you're in human form. You can get three on one SDT if you go into the form first.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Momomo posted:

I also appreciate the tacit endorsement of King Cerberus as Dante's best weapon, since it's the main one he uses in Dante 2. I always knew that thing was busted.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This is a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbo5auK1EKI

It's actually pretty well made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Nope.