Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Well my 2012 rMBP was long in the tooth and won’t get anymore OS upgrades. Got the 13” MBP with 1TB and 16GB. I already have the last gen Mini so I really just wanted something with really good battery life and I want to play with the new shiny. Went for the more battery life. Will be interesting to see if 16 GB works out.

Oh and Apple wants to give me $260 for the old one. Which is a lot more than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ok Comboomer posted:

But knowing how the iMac Pro went, RAM soldered to the logic board is probably fait accompli for all Macs across the board. Hope you like your iMacs costing $4-6 grand.

iMac pro ram isn't soldered, it's standard ddr4 dimms

Only thing that stops people from upgrading it is that the process of opening the machine and getting access to the DIMM sockets is... daunting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BobHoward posted:

iMac pro ram isn't soldered, it's standard ddr4 dimms

Only thing that stops people from upgrading it is that the process of opening the machine and getting access to the DIMM sockets is... daunting.

You're right. I thought about changing it but figured the point was still made- not intended to be accessed by the user.

Apparently AASP's can do the upgrade officially if the user doesn't want to gently caress with all that glue tape and display assembly and whatnot. I wonder how many people actually got it done and paid for the labor, got an invoice/receipt for "iMac Pro RAM upgrade", etc. It's gotta be in the single digits, percentage-wise.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

shrike82 posted:

No <=12" MBA? Disappointing if Apple's decided demand for small screen computing is fulfilled by iPads

I was hoping for this too.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
My guess on the laptops is that they plan to replace the cases with smaller/thinner one with the same screen sizes, but they've left it in the current one to have a larger physical battery for the couple of years it will take for most software to transition over.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Ziploc posted:

I was hoping for this too.

Me too! I hope it's coming. I loved the 12" MB so much even though it was so painfully slow. That's the last Apple laptop that felt "futuristic" to me. I do think it's interesting that they decided to launch Apple silicon without any kind of new design.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

grahm posted:

Me too! I hope it's coming. I loved the 12" MB so much even though it was so painfully slow. That's the last Apple laptop that felt "futuristic" to me. I do think it's interesting that they decided to launch Apple silicon without any kind of new design.

It’s what they did with the shift to PPC G3. And also Intel, give or take some minor nips/tucks in some Macs (adding cameras, renaming the MP, PowerBook, and iBook but otherwise keeping the external designs relatively unchanged, second optical bay on MP, etc)

the Powermac G3 shipped in a beige tower for its first cycle before being redressed in Bondi Blue.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 11, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Roadie posted:

My guess on the laptops is that they plan to replace the cases with smaller/thinner one with the same screen sizes, but they've left it in the current one to have a larger physical battery for the couple of years it will take for most software to transition over.

They certainly can't go narrower (on the chassis), I really don't think they want to compromise their audio solution. That leaves Apple shrinking the bottom bezel and gaining another tenth or two of an inch.

As tempting as these are, I really want to see the first revision of their 5nm SoC. The M2 will probably be the sweet spot before society collapses.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Ok Comboomer posted:

5x graphics, 3.5x cpu performance.

The penis is larger if you measure from the base of the balls.

I’m not going to believe any of this until we see some apples to apples comparisons like “here’s a how long it takes to compile Firefox on an intel Mac vs an M1 setup”

My work laptop is 64 GB ram, and I regularly fill 3/4 of that with docker containers. 16 GB won’t cut it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no new webcams, lmfao

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

shrike82 posted:

No <=12" MBA? Disappointing if Apple's decided demand for small screen computing is fulfilled by iPads

Thinking about this, realistically how different is the M1 from the A14 chip? Could we see a future iPad Pro running MacOS?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

Thinking about this, realistically how different is the M1 from the A14 chip? Could we see a future iPad Pro running MacOS?

Macs OS on an Ipad is a question of product management, not technical ability. I assume Apple wants to keep the product lines separate for the moment, but it's certainly something they could do.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
dag nabbit. i gotta buy one of these at work just to see how i can manage them. i have 100+ macs to replace in the next year in computer labs and offices and i need to know how poo poo will run.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I dumb for being the refresh 13 macbook pro Intel a few months ago instead of waiting for this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no new webcams, lmfao

New cameras in both MacBooks but still only 720p, but should still look quite a bit better

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

Am I dumb for being the refresh 13 macbook pro Intel a few months ago instead of waiting for this

No.

Intel is going to be supported for some time, especially since the 16" MBP, iMacs and Mac Pro are still using Intel CPUs

Never buy 1st gen from Apple. Wait for them to knock the dust out and get 2nd. At the very least wait a few months for the real reviews to surface.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

unless you could didn't need a new computer and had a crystal ball with yesterday's news, then no you are not dumb for buying a computer.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Nope. You needed a computer then. So it’s good. And intel will be supported for a good while. My 2012 retina MBP JUST stopped getting OS updates.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet I feel better, thanks goons

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The fact that they don't have "eGPU 'support'" is absolutely BONKERS. It has to have a PCIe root complex for Thunderbolt, so....why!? This seems like something that should be hackable-on via kext but is being phased out because, ofc, kexts are on the way out and it makes Hackintoshes easier.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crunchy Black posted:

The fact that they don't have "eGPU 'support'" is absolutely BONKERS. It has to have a PCIe root complex for Thunderbolt, so....why!? This seems like something that should be hackable-on via kext but is being phased out because, ofc, kexts are on the way out and it makes Hackintoshes easier.

I'm gonna go with there are no vendor drivers available for their new architecture.

They still support it for the Intel Macs so I'm pretty sure that's what the issue is.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I can agree with that to an extent, and the feud with NVDA of course pollutes the discussion. However, it's one of those things that seems to be an ongoing and historical Apple staple, bringing everything in house and putting blinders on.

"AMD is terrible at drivers" and whatnot but I'm sure they could see the value prop in them wanting to get some ARM driver experience considering the way the supercomputer industry is going (+the xilinix acq).

This plays out 2 ways, either this is just a shot across the bow and they have a far more powerful GPU up their sleeve for a ~2024 Mac Pro/2021 iMac refresh (those ofc would be 2 different parts) *or* that's the early adopter tax on M1 and GPU support does come to Apple chips via AMD later on.

As I've been writing this out, though, it does occur to me that AMD told them they weren't interested because XSX and PS5 dev was in full swing when this project would've needed to kick off.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
eGPUs are also still a complete failure cost-wise and I’m guessing their adoption has stayed a tiny sliver of the customer base of any TB3 laptop.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Sure, it also occurs to me that if the arch really is as direct a descendent from the iPadPro as I'm thinking, the drivers are so mature that maybe they don't even really need more horsepower.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I think the thing with eGPUs is less to do with the limited impact of external GPUs but more to do with what we can expect in terms of dedicated third party graphics cards with ARM processors. We don't know if/when that might happen. We don't even know what use cases would require them without getting hands on some hardware to test.

I bought one of the 8-256 mac minis to test in my environment but i have a lot of concerns with how basically everything will function.

e: I just remembered. I was working at Apple when the switch to intel happened. Anyone who bought a Core Duo macbook regretted it, a lot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

funmanguy posted:

Anyone who bought a Core Duo macbook regretted it, a lot.

So will the first buyers this time around

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Ok i posted a while back before the announcement about my use case and what to buy - i edit video professionally and buy a top line mbp every five years or so to get me through jobs that ask for my own kit (which until this year were few and far between, but handy to have premiere and/or avid available when they arise). I mostly use it for personal stuff but the high spec is useful for aforementioned software and does pay for itself when i do jobs on it. I don't want to get handed 8TB of 6 or 8K footage and not be able to handle it.

It sounds like the 16-inch MBP i would be considering (now that my 2015 maxed out one is at the 5 year mark) is gonna remain intel for a while. How long do people think? Till Gen 2 of these new chips? If i might get asked to run avid at home sometime still, should i stay intel for (ideally) 5 years from this purchase, as i usually do? Will I be able to?

I really, really don't get the specs floating around re performance vs the best intel now either. Should i try to muscle through another year on my old one and hope for a new processor?? i guess if AVID are really on the ball they will rewrite their software for new chips by like the year 2055...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crunchy Black posted:

Probably don't have like 20 loving PCIe lanes like a regular computer would. Same reason they are only 2 TB ports.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

It sounds like the 16-inch MBP i would be considering (now that my 2015 maxed out one is at the 5 year mark) is gonna remain intel for a while. How long do people think? Till Gen 2 of these new chips? If i might get asked to run avid at home sometime still, should i stay intel for (ideally) 5 years from this purchase, as i usually do? Will I be able to?

I would guess the M2 will be here next spring? Worst case next fall? That would go in a iMac or 16" Pro, in theory

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bob Morales posted:

Probably don't have like 20 loving PCIe lanes like a regular computer would. Same reason they are only 2 TB ports.

20 PCIe lanes makes a lot of sense and was perfect future-proofing if you think about what 99% of desktop chips are used for.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Bob Morales posted:

I would guess the M2 will be here next spring? Worst case next fall? That would go in a iMac or 16" Pro, in theory

that sounds really fast - a few months and their earthshaking new line of chips is old gen?!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

that sounds really fast - a few months and their earthshaking new line of chips is old gen?!

I mean iPhone A13 to A14 is a yearly cadence. So in theory it would be a drop in replacement for most systems as they go along. Just keep it within the power envelopes.

Edit: No longer waiting for intel to get a new proc out.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

same gen, higher tdp

any thoughts on what their scaling strategy will be? maybe just tack on a few more cores in each subsystem, add some ram and call it a day?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There will now only be one 8 hour long yearly September event where they update every single iPhone, iPad and Mac with new silicon

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

It's probably in there, just not available on the current package.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

funmanguy posted:

e: I just remembered. I was working at Apple when the switch to intel happened. Anyone who bought a Core Duo macbook regretted it, a lot.

It me, I’m the guy who regretted an A1181 Macbook.

But I’ve also waited so long to replace my laptop that they might get me again.

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice... we don’t get fooled again.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was pretty happy with my 2006 Macbook Pro, bad manufacturing quality all those machines had aside (like having the screen not sit flush when closed, it was slightly bent; or the graphics chip that would die after two years). Would have certainly regretted buying a PowerPC model right before.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

And the 14 inch models are coming soon. We all know the rumors... that’s why I’m going to keep this 2015 MBP till the Redesign for sure.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I really want to pull the trigger on the Air to get away from my dalliance with the Surface Laptop 3, but ... it's quite a reliable machine and I've already gotten used to it, there's no real need.

They really shipping 11/17? I suppose it's not too long to wait for reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
looking at the way the new lineup shakes out, I'm really curious to see what happens with the higher tier versions of these machines.

We've got the MBA, the entry-level Mini, and the entry-level MBP on M1 right now. Mid and high-tier MBP and Minis remain on Intel and there's still a lot of stuff that they can currently do that M1 can't.

Hypothetical scenario 1: in a year or two Apple releases an M1 successor that has more Thunderbolt controllers, I/O, etc and rolls it out across the board, replacing the current M1. Apple discontinues the higher priced Intel versions as they are either unnecessary and redundant or Apple has decided that it's not worth having Macs be able to do x or y (connect to an eGPU or run Windows in Bootcamp, for example) anymore.

All MacBook Airs ship with this new M1 successor (probably with certain functions neutered/lower binned chips), all 13' MacBook Pros ship with it, and all Mac Minis ship with it. There are other tiers of chips specific to other Macs that do not go into these lines.

Hypothetical scenario 2: Apple has a suite of chips, let's call them M1, M2, M3, etc, at different tiers of the pyramid.

M1 is the least powerful and capable chip, and it goes into the least power-demanding Macs: MBA, entry-level MBP 13, entry level Mini.

M2 is a step up from M1. More powerful and with more I/O, it goes into the mid-tier MBP 13, mid-tier Mini, entry-level MBP 16, and entry-level iMacs (idk).

M3 is a step up from M2: top of the line Mini and MBP 13, mid-tier MBP 16, top of the line smaller iMac, mid-tier big iMac

M4: top MBP 16, top big iMac, entry Mac Pro?

M5+: Mac Pro