Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

If I find myself chatting with him for some reason, I’ll try to remember to pass that along

:tipshat: nice headset though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have been meaning to ask, anyone here get their reverb G2 yet? I am still waiting for mine to ship.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I just got my tracking number for my pc-canada G2 preorder so I should hopefully have mine in the next few days. :toot:

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
If I mostly want to use a Quest 2 with a Link cable to just replace my old Rift, is there any reason I wouldn't buy the cheap less-internal-storage model? Also is there any reason this is dumb in general? Obviously I hate Facebook and owning my Rift has given me a dozen reasons to hate Oculus in particular, but I'm not sure I want to step up to a Vive Pro or Index.

Edit: honestly I could probably be convinced to buy one of the higher-end things but I really have no space available, and I'm not sure how much better they are for games you can play inside a medium-sized closet

Pitch fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 11, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pitch posted:

If I mostly want to use a Quest 2 with a Link cable to just replace my old Rift, is there any reason I wouldn't buy the cheap less-internal-storage model? Also is there any reason this is dumb in general? Obviously I hate Facebook and owning my Rift has given me a dozen reasons to hate Oculus in particular, but I'm not sure I want to step up to a Vive Pro or Index.

Edit: honestly I could probably be convinced to buy one of the higher-end things but I really have no space available, and I'm not sure how much better they are for games you can play inside a medium-sized closet

Even if you use it standalone I'd argue for the 64gb model. It's not worth another $100 (or 33% more) just to avoid juggling some space, and realistically I don't think you'll end up rotating through a huge amount of stuff all at once anyway.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Is there some good handstraps for the quest 2 controllers yet? Looking for some knuckles style let go of the controller action.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Bigsteve posted:

Is there some good handstraps for the quest 2 controllers yet? Looking for some knuckles style let go of the controller action.

All of the ones for Quest 1 are close enough to fit seems to be the case? https://www.mamutvr.com/products/mamut-touch-grip

e: wow and the G2

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Bigsteve posted:

AMVR. They have a version for the Q2 now, but the Q1 model also fits.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

SCheeseman posted:

Quick video I took showing the robustness of S&S' body directed movement
https://i.imgur.com/DjaYoH6.mp4
You can see a bit of drift when looking left or right, but it's nowhere near as severe as it is with head directed movement. The last clip is me physically turning my whole body right and glancing left and right as I do so. All the footage was taken with me constantly holding the stick forward.
e: reuploaded with a better video (here is the old one for posterity)

How dare you even pretend that's not just how you play normally

e: Also holy hell that bundle is ridiculously good value. Plus, Killing Floor: Incursion, which I never would have bought individually regardless of how big the sale got

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Havnt received any info on my G2 just yet, they are shipping in Aus though so trying to focus on exams and not obsessively refresh my email.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Synonymous posted:

How dare you even pretend that's not just how you play normally

Who said that wasn't how I played normally

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone tried this?
https://www.oculus.com/casting

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm having a blast in Outer Wilds VR. Kind of hard to believe this is a mod.

Huh, I'll have to check this out later. Had any issues?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It doesn't mention it on the bundle page but that Zero Caliber game is apparently in Early Access still.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Gort posted:

Huh, I'll have to check this out later. Had any issues?
Not really. So far the only nitpicks I have are that you have to find a bit of a sweet spot when you're trying to pick up an object and put it in a pedestal or something, and 6DoF doesn't quite work when you're in zero G. If you're not facing the game's static "front," trying to propel forward will send you sideways or backwards. Fortunately, they put an outline of feet on the ground so you can orient yourself.

The zero G thing is easier to deal with once you start pretending you're wearing a NASA propulsion suit and can't exactly walk around anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PantsBandit posted:

It doesn't mention it on the bundle page but that Zero Caliber game is apparently in Early Access still.

I played it a while last night. In the first few missions the game seemed complete. Its ok, worth playing but a basically waves of bad AI enemies with kinda janky weapon models. The maps are pretty good though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWArFehhp4
spoopy

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

No but I’m going to, it seems interesting.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here's a key for Creed: Rise to Glory™

6CZAI-Y8DYJ-K7WZB

marumaru
May 20, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Here's a key for Creed: Rise to Glory™

6CZAI-Y8DYJ-K7WZB

i got it, thanks! will give that a go later!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, I just tried it. Basically it worked at it should. Casting to a Chrome tab, fairly low latency, it worked on first try. Much better than the first attempt of casting I did one year ago when I bought a Q1.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Key for The W*lking De*d - S*ints *nd Sinners

7CF*0-5CIV*-NCZDY

vv You're welcome! It's definitely up there with my favorite VR experiences. Gonna jump back into it now that I have a better computer.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 11, 2020

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Key for The W*lking De*d - S*ints *nd Sinners

7CF*0-5CIV*-NCZDY

Got this one. Thanks a lot!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TheKnife posted:

Got this one. Thanks a lot!

you're in for a treat. it's one of the most game-feeling VR games out there, really cool. sorry alyx fans

dropped it because its too scary

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I've never been a fan of horror because it never hits me right, but that poo poo looks pretty crazy to play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SCheeseman posted:

Just an anecdote, but I've had 4 non-techy people in the past few days who have expressed intention to get a VR headset either for themselves or as a gift. I've convinced people to buy a headset before, but usually other enthusiasts. I think Quest 2 might be the thing that breaks VR into the mainstream, something that has been said before I'm sure, but it feels different this time (also probably something that has been said before!).

Yeah I could really see this xmas being the event that blows up VR and makes a bunch more companies start considering a VR project to be viable

ROFLBOT posted:

NMS was the game i most wanted to play when i got my first VR headset. It’s also the only game i’ve bounced off of playing in VR and now just play pancake style.

The sense of scale is of course amazing but i just can’t deal with the cumbersome UI and menus in a game where you spend a significant amount of time in them. Too frustrating.

Yeah same, crafting in NMS in VR is just suuuuuch a pain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SCheeseman posted:

Quick video I took showing the robustness of S&S' body directed movement
https://i.imgur.com/DjaYoH6.mp4
You can see a bit of drift when looking left or right, but it's nowhere near as severe as it is with head directed movement. The last clip is me physically turning my whole body right and glancing left and right as I do so. All the footage was taken with me constantly holding the stick forward.
e: reuploaded with a better video (here is the old one for posterity)

That's really nice. But what happens if you turn your hands left and right while you're walking? I guess it'd be similar to moving your body, although you wouldn't necessarily have to move your body. Still, in that situation you at least should know what's up.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
NMS VR is for playing around with all the stuff you build and obtain in normal mode. It’s awesome for that. It’s terrible for trying to actually build and obtain in, but as a playground for your stuff it’s an awesome complement to an established normal mode savegame.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ephori posted:

NMS VR is for playing around with all the stuff you build and obtain in normal mode. It’s awesome for that. It’s terrible for trying to actually build and obtain in, but as a playground for your stuff it’s an awesome complement to an established normal mode savegame.

It's great for gawking at stuff, basically. Which is most of the point of the game anyway. Also if you're still at the "need to shoot stuff for resources" phase of the game, using the mining laser on things feels pretty good.

I still kinda hate the way the spaceships control in VR and wish they gave an option to just use thumbsticks instead

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ephori posted:

I posted awhile ago that I got the impression that NMS would work okay if you already played the game in flat and then hopped in, but since I lost my save and had to start over in VR I found it infuriating.

But several goons disagreed with me :shrug: So some people seem to be fine with the UI as-is

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Another free Sa*nts and S*nners for some lucky gamer:

edit: claimed

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 11, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zaphod42 posted:

I posted awhile ago that I got the impression that NMS would work okay if you already played the game in flat and then hopped in, but since I lost my save and had to start over in VR I found it infuriating.

But several goons disagreed with me :shrug: So some people seem to be fine with the UI as-is

The UI is a pain but I never played flat and was able to do everything. It's definitely better for the "exploration" part than the "Base building" though.

I don't think anyone is wrong for feeling like the menus was a deal breaker, but they aren't THAT bad once you learn how to do everything. My problem is when I decide to pick it back up I never remember all the fiddly bits.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

PantsBandit posted:

Another free Sa*nts and S*nners for some lucky gamer:

8H665-9*NDP-RFY7N

Thank you very much.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

I've cast to my phone and to my NVIDIA Shield (Chromecast). Anything that supports Chromecast should be a valid casting target.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nalin posted:

I've cast to my phone and to my NVIDIA Shield (Chromecast). Anything that supports Chromecast should be a valid casting target.

Have they improved the lag or at least made it so you can keep the original sound in the headphones?

I tried to set up my GF's Quest to cast while playing Beat Saber because she wanted to show if off to her parents but for whatever stupid reason it muted the built in audio so I was stuck with lagged audio over Chromecast, which made the game pretty much unplayable.

Obviously video streaming will have some inherent lag, but the local audio should still work.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Does the pc gamepass version of Tetris effect have vr support?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I’ve never lost headphone audio like that using a chromecast and my OG Quest. It sounds like yours wasn’t working right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ooooof. Anyone else in on the Kickstarter or IndieGoGo for VREars, they've just announced a delay from December 2020... to July 2021

quote:

Hi VR Ears Backers,

We have had a long journey this year making a ton of improvements to the design and audio performance of VR Ears, while at the same time dealing with the impact COVID-19 has had on the global supply chain. We are finally ready to begin the tooling process and release a firm shipment date. VR Ears will ship July 15, 2021, with full support for Oculus Quest 2, forward compatibility for all leading VR headsets, and standalone with our HeadStrap accessory.

We know this is not what you were hoping for, we feel the same way. All the funds we’ve gathered have been put to good use improving the product in the best way possible. We take to heart all the support the community has given us this year, just as we have done for TrackStrap, VR Power, VR Shell, and all our other products. VR Ears will be simply awesome. After using VR Ears, you won’t know how you lived without them, and won’t be able to go back to anything else.

Stay tuned for more updates as the tooling and validation process moves forward.

Rebuff Your Reality,

Joe Sciacchetano

Founder and CEO

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Does the pc gamepass version of Tetris effect have vr support?

According to their FAQ no, but they intend to patch it in by the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

NRVNQSR posted:

According to their FAQ no, but they intend to patch it in by the end of the year.

drat, but also nice. Gonna wait a bit longer so I can start it in the matrix.