Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
The hype for the new Miles Morales PS4 videogame got me to read the Bendis stuff for the Ultimate Universe...and it was rough. Is that better remembered than the 616 run he had after Secret Wars? I liked the first run, but the crossovers were pretty mediocre and the last ongoing, before Secret Wars, was just bad.

At least the current book by Saladin Ahmed is fun; it has a very "how do you do fellow kids?" vibe, but overall I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

The hype for the new Miles Morales PS4 videogame got me to read the Bendis stuff for the Ultimate Universe...and it was rough. Is that better remembered than the 616 run he had after Secret Wars? I liked the first run, but the crossovers were pretty mediocre and the last ongoing, before Secret Wars, was just bad.

At least the current book by Saladin Ahmed is fun; it has a very "how do you do fellow kids?" vibe, but overall I like it.

I think the character was more popular than the book.

Ultimate Spider-Man 200 and the first Spider-Men were good though.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'd only heard good things about Bendis' run with Miles. Is it not actually that good? Or has Bendis' whole Ultimate Spidey run just aged poorly? I haven't touched it in probably a decade.

radlum
May 13, 2013
My main issue with the first series is that Miles takes a while to actually become Spider-Man (though to be fair, Ult. Peter Parker also did) and Miles never gets his own enemies (besides Ult. Prowler and maybe Ult. Scorpion), but the supporting cast and Miles himselft are good enough to make for an interesting run.

The second series lasted 12 issues, it has 5 issues dealing with Ult. Peter and Ult. Green Goblin, 2 issues with a flashback story for Miles' father, and the last issues are pretty lame and end with a whimper before Secret Wars happens.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007
Remember when Bendis became infatuated with characters recounting the events of the comic as if they were being interviewed after the fact? And then entire issues would just be made up of talking heads? Good times.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Professor Dog posted:

Remember when Bendis became infatuated with characters recounting the events of the comic as if they were being interviewed after the fact? And then entire issues would just be made up of talking heads? Good times.

People were so confused that issue #7 of Secret Invasion ends right before the climactic showdown between our heroes and the Skrull hordes, and issue #8 starts with Captain Marvel talking to someone about the crazy battle that had just happened. Why waste time on pages of action when a short conversation will do!

A founding member of the Avengers died in that fight!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I've got a 39 page single-spaced essay entitled "Things Bendis Did" that I would like to share with you all now. Let's begin;

"Robert Reynolds was a sympathetic character..."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only real problem I had with Bendis writing Miles, both in Ult and after the switch to 616, is that he really fell in love with Miles' shock power. I mean, to an extent I get it, you're trying to introduce a new Spider-Man and you want to show he's different, so give him a new power to give him a more unique fighting style besides webs and punches.

But eventually it was the solution to every fight he was in and everyone jobbed to it up to and including motherfucking Blackheart. I'm glad subsequent writers have used it as a tool in his arsenal instead of as the win button it was introduced as.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Professor Dog posted:

This is how every issue of his LoSH run starts.

I'm reading month by month and it's annoying, so I dread to think how it'll feel reading it in trade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

radlum posted:

Miles is a good idea and had a really strong debut but everything between that and Spider-verse was kinda bad.

Nilbop posted:

I'd only heard good things about Bendis' run with Miles. Is it not actually that good? Or has Bendis' whole Ultimate Spidey run just aged poorly? I haven't touched it in probably a decade.

It piles on the misery to an unhealthy degree and gets derailed with weird SHIELD plots and then loving Peter Parker comes back to life and hijacks the book for a while. It's not the worst comic ever but it certainly doesn't live up to what people expected out of the character.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I really liked Ultimate Spider-Man, but as awesome as Miles is, the book was better with Peter if only because Peter had time to breath and get fleshed out. As others have said, Mile's story gets interrupted too often by his dad's SHIELD background, Peter's sudden and pointless return, and Secret Wars. Also, it becomes ridiculous how many threatening villains end up being defeated by his zap power alone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I only just finished Ultimate Spider-Man and I still don't believe Peter came back. I read it, and you're all saying he did, but it is so baffling that it didn't seem real. Like in a way I kind of love the audacity of it that Bendis is like, superheroes and villains are pretty much immortal the way we treat them so let's make it textual ok? But the story just gave this constant vibe of Peter being an impostor that I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

I only just finished Ultimate Spider-Man and I still don't believe Peter came back. I read it, and you're all saying he did, but it is so baffling that it didn't seem real. Like in a way I kind of love the audacity of it that Bendis is like, superheroes and villains are pretty much immortal the way we treat them so let's make it textual ok? But the story just gave this constant vibe of Peter being an impostor that I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I think Bendis knew that his tenure at Marvel and the entire Ultimate universe was coming to an end and he wanted to give his baby, the pillar of that universe, a happy ending. And I mean that's fair but it sure sucked to read.

Honestly the book lost me because of how they handled the Prowler. I really thought Miles would take the best of his cat burglar uncle who understood the law doesn't protect everyone equally and his cop dad who believes in justice and fair play and it'd be like this interesting nuanced thing. Instead his uncle turned out to be 100% evil scum and Miles accidentally murdered him. It wasn't fun to read. And honestly considering how much they make a point of addressing the racial injustice in his backstory it came off a little tone deaf to make him so overtly evil.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 10, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My issues with Miles is that he’s now permanently loving tied to any Spider-Verse shenanigans and they’re ALWAYS doing spider-verse shenanigans and holy loving poo poo just let him have his own god drat it.

Even NOW in his current story he’s still dealing with Ultimate shenanigans. gently caress.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I think Bendis knew that his tenure at Marvel and the entire Ultimate universe was coming to an end and he wanted to give his baby, the pillar of that universe, a happy ending. And I mean that's fair but it sure sucked to read.

Yeah because it definitely didn't feel like a happy ending. Didn't even feel like Peter. It was just hey, I'm back but let's not make a big deal out of it. Oh drat the cat's out of the bag, well I dunno, you're Spider-Man now so I'll just wander off into the sunset and go be like 616 Ben Reilly in the Lost Years I guess. Everything you know about life and death is wrong, toodles!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Huh. That Peter Parker fellow sure is in a pickle this week.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly the book lost me because of how they handled the Prowler. I really thought Miles would take the best of his cat burglar uncle who understood the law doesn't protect everyone equally and his cop dad who believes in justice and fair play and it'd be like this interesting nuanced thing. Instead his uncle turned out to be 100% evil scum and Miles accidentally murdered him. It wasn't fun to read. And honestly considering how much they make a point of addressing the racial injustice in his backstory it came off a little tone deaf to make him so overtly evil.

Yeah, it felt like Bendis wanted his Peter to get a happy ending...even if it meant derailing his other creation's ongoing series...looking back, it feels very much like parental favoritism and it kind of sucks, specially now, that Miles is still relevant and the Ultimate Universe is best left forgotten.

Also, rereading the early issues of Bendis's run, I was surprised at how awful Prowler was. Thankfully Ahmed's run makes him a very flawed man, that still cares a lot about Miles and Jeff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just had to explain King in Black to one of my regulars who saw the poster on the door. He doesn't read any Cates stuff but he does read a lot of Marvel. My pitch follows.

"You know Venom? Well imagine in Space there is a big Venom who created all the Venoms. This big Venom is bad, and he is going to I guess invade earth with an army of Venoms. Everyone will be fighting various Venoms for a few issues. At some point normal Venom and Thor will likely team up and fight big Venom."

I think that is pretty much it, right?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Taskmaster #1 is amazing. Our boy Vulpes did it again, folks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just had to explain King in Black to one of my regulars who saw the poster on the door. He doesn't read any Cates stuff but he does read a lot of Marvel. My pitch follows.

"You know Venom? Well imagine in Space there is a big Venom who created all the Venoms. This big Venom is bad, and he is going to I guess invade earth with an army of Venoms. Everyone will be fighting various Venoms for a few issues. At some point normal Venom and Thor will likely team up and fight big Venom."

I think that is pretty much it, right?

You forgot the most important part, where space venom is boring and he should just buy like, Black Cat or something instead.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think most readers wish that Knull was just, in fact, A Big Venom.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
His SWORD is Big Venom. He is the living embodiment of the null that existed before Galactus started the Big Bang.

The biggest missed opportunity for the biggest X-over

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

You forgot the most important part, where space venom is boring and he should just buy like, Black Cat or something instead.

Thank God for King in Black: A Black Cat Story #1 then.

Launching a book as a tie in is a death sentence, but it isn't like Black Cat was a super healthy book before. A book I really love, certainly, but it has never done great at my store. Taskmaster was is on track to do really well at least.

If people only bought good books the industry would just collapse.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

His SWORD is Big Venom. He is the living embodiment of the null that existed before Galactus started the Big Bang.

his sword is made from zak’s scary poncho

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 11, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Huh. That Peter Parker fellow sure is in a pickle this week.

You're not wrong. :stonk:

I know he's not actually gonna stay dead, but seeing him get his neck snapped was pretty goddamn brutal.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They did the lame twist in Marneus Calgar, but it's only the second issue so I guess it's going to have more story significance than just being a twist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

They did the lame twist in Marneus Calgar, but it's only the second issue so I guess it's going to have more story significance than just being a twist.

I think Gillen was a massive fan of Games Workshop stuff and miniatures war games in general for years, so I'd trust him to do something interesting with it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BrianWilly posted:

I think most readers wish that Knull was just, in fact, A Big Venom.

:hai:

It's time for Planet of the Symbiotes 2. Pull the trigger, Marvel!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

How can nothing be embodied be embodied by something?

Every single thing I hear about Knull makes him sound dumber and dumber, and I know it’s only going to get worse because Donny Cates is writing it so every issue people will be going “Knull is the most dangerous and terrifying threat we’ve ever faced, even more than [cites specific examples from popular storylines].”

And then he’ll allow himself to get killed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Nilbop posted:

How can nothing be embodied be embodied by something?

Every single thing I hear about Knull makes him sound dumber and dumber, and I know it’s only going to get worse because Donny Cates is writing it so every issue people will be going “Knull is the most dangerous and terrifying threat we’ve ever faced, even more than [cites specific examples from popular storylines].”

And then he’ll allow himself to get killed.

Please show more discretion, it is obvious you have seen the leaked script for [EVENT]

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I haven’t even mentioned the part where the less-successful non-white hero tragically died to establish the stakes.

You had a good run ...

(throws dart)

...Riri Williams!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JordanKai posted:

:hai:

It's time for Planet of the Symbiotes 2. Pull the trigger, Marvel!

Planet of the Symbiotes 2: The Planet IS The Symbiote.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I haven’t even mentioned the part where the less-successful non-white hero tragically died to establish the stakes.

You had a good run ...

(throws dart)

...Riri Williams!

I would be very shocked if Riri, Kamala, or Miles died in an event comic unless it was a fake out or they were brought back in the very next issue.

I could see them icing Sam Alexander though. Has he been in anything recently?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I would be very shocked if Riri, Kamala, or Miles died in an event comic unless it was a fake out or they were brought back in the very next issue.

He showed up for the Outlawed stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Oh definitely could see him dying at any moment. The important bit of event writing is trying to find a character people recognize to kill off who is popular enough to make people feel something but not so popular that they can support their own title.

Remember, when Hulk died in Civil War 2 (?) it was at a point where nobody gave a poo poo about him at all and his book had just ended anyway. He was brought back as a zombie by the Hand in the very next storyline!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

JordanKai posted:

Taskmaster #1 is amazing. Our boy Vulpes did it again, folks.

Thanks, JordanKai!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nilbop posted:

How can nothing be embodied by something?

In cosmic Marvel nothing is as embodied as everything is.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Yvonmukluk posted:

You're not wrong. :stonk:

I know he's not actually gonna stay dead, but seeing him get his neck snapped was pretty goddamn brutal.

I can remember when Spider-Man fought a villain called Fusion who did the same thing. Broke his neck at the end of the issue.
Peter still beat him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'll second that Taskmaster is good.

Slightly confused by the ad for X-Factor #1 (on sale April) in it, were these printed in March and Marvel's been sitting on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

So I just wanted to ask; do people actual like this "Kindred" story? I decided to hop on the last handful of issues of Amazing Spider-Man to get a feel for it and ... this is bad. This is like embarassingly bad. This is the kind of wrote, cliche-filled, retrodden forgotteable story that pushes me away from comics. Except with this story it's been presented as this significant moment, given it's lead-up and placement?

I'm aware this is probably more a critique of Nick Spencer than Kindred but the two go hand in hand. I mean I don't want to go into further details considering the latest issue just came out but ... yikes.