Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

This. You can argue for/against BBounties forever but the fact of the matter is, if a researcher discloses irresponsibly citing your lack of BB setup as the reason, they're a giant rear end in a top hat.

It's also literally extortion, but most of the time you can't do anything about it. OP if you want you can send me a PM too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

xtal posted:

They're probably blocking it by APN and might block the VPN too. Are you also considering whether the traffic is from that governments jurisdiction?

Gonna say Mullvad though.

TY. I ended up saying gently caress it just try the VPN and that worked. Going to just run all my scrapers through ExpressVPN. Small slowdown but not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Its a temp fix as we plan to migrate these scrapers to AWS lambda functions and at that point I'll have to figure out the proxy situation.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GCE is a great place to stage scraping.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

CarForumPoster posted:

TY. I ended up saying gently caress it just try the VPN and that worked. Going to just run all my scrapers through ExpressVPN. Small slowdown but not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Its a temp fix as we plan to migrate these scrapers to AWS lambda functions and at that point I'll have to figure out the proxy situation.

Use a tiny ssh server somewhere and use ssh's built in socks proxy capability? (-D option)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

I asked a friend who works in compliance and she mentioned Auditboard and LogicGate. The latter her team uses for risk management but it has a policy compliance module.

Overall she's been happy with LogicGate but had a hard time getting non-infosec folks to adopt it so they're currently trying to see if they can recreate the workflows in jira.

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What kind of rules are you guys seeing for 'file sharing' websites? OneDrive Dropbox etc?

We blocked them all. But guess what, people use the gently caress out of them. Especially non-profits. Who we share data etc with.

I got reamed today because the CFO couldn't access a link in his email to Sharefile (Citrix product). I allowed access to it, by allowing the URL accountingfirm.sharefile.com

I first explained that we ban those types of sites and asked if there was another way they could send the file, and he replied with "It's HIPAA data what do you suggest we use?"

Anyway, this is a huge security risk :bahgawd: I explained that only links to files from that particular company would be allowed, not HACKEDACCOUNT.sharefile.com that we would get in a phishing email, but whatever. Apparently I should be making firewall rules specific for individual users every time a site needs whitelisted.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

my approach to sharing sites has been to acquire licenses for the popular stuff, then install/activate DLP features

bonus points if somebody can suggest or move a shared workload to our o365

I guess in short my approach is to find a way to say "yes" that is also safe. I'm not super strapped for cash, so I probably have a little bit more wiggle room then others might

this time next year, I want to have SSL termination (and I'm going to NEED it by 2025 for CMMC), but...one step at a time

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah have O365 and we have Onedrive across the office plus the DLP stuff.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I wouldn't bother blocking those sites at all. It's a big usability (and therefore social capital) hit without a payoff of remotely the same magnitude.

e: it's reasonable to disallow the sync binaries, though

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean, malware does use those sites a lot, no? That's why Firefox Send shut down.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Malware uses a lot of things. Legitimate use cases also use a lot of things. The trick is blocking the former without blocking the latter.

Blocking widely-used sites is very rarely a good idea. As the legit:malware ratio approaches zero, it becomes reasonable, but dropbox isn't gonna meet that bar.

When I say "If it's down, it's secure," it's not supposed to be a serious recommendation.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I first explained that we ban those types of sites and asked if there was another way they could send the file, and he replied with "It's HIPAA data what do you suggest we use?"
Let me guess, you have a CFO but no CTO eh?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I mean, malware does use those sites a lot, no? That's why Firefox Send shut down.

Malware uses a lot of legit services, but blanket blocks of legit services won't help.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah have O365 and we have Onedrive across the office plus the DLP stuff.

O365 + DLP is pretty great, MS can auto-flag anything emailed or shared through OneDrive/SharePoint Online that looks HIPPA-sensitive, or has financial data, etc, and you can decide what happens in those cases.

That said, make sure you have a BAA signed with MS, and also make sure users know that O365 isn't an EMR system and treating it as such can be problematic depending on the what the rules are in your area.

Edit: You can also limit external sharing by security group, and make sure you don't have your OD/SP sharing settings any higher than authenticated guest access.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

klosterdev posted:

O365 + DLP is pretty great, MS can auto-flag anything emailed or shared through OneDrive/SharePoint Online that looks HIPPA-sensitive, or has financial data, etc, and you can decide what happens in those cases.

That said, make sure you have a BAA signed with MS, and also make sure users know that O365 isn't an EMR system and treating it as such can be problematic depending on the what the rules are in your area.

Edit: You can also limit external sharing by security group, and make sure you don't have your OD/SP sharing settings any higher than authenticated guest access.

I find the MS's DLP creates a lot of false positives even if you move the silly match level to high.

You can do a lot with the cloud app security policies to do some automatic response as well. For example, in the instance that someone shares a sensitive file outside the org with onedrive, you can have it automatically make the file private, quarantine the file, disable the user, alert you, and basically everything else under the sun. Similar options with teams and sharepoint.

You should also have had the BAA signed with Microsoft before you even created a single email in their space.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How does DLP work on the backend? Never set one up before is it basically just a hook to your mail/printer/scanner/what ever that looks for really common regex patterns for pii like ###-##-#### in the case of socials?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Defenestrategy posted:

How does DLP work on the backend? Never set one up before is it basically just a hook to your mail/printer/scanner/what ever that looks for really common regex patterns for pii like ###-##-#### in the case of socials?

The simplest ones do...I hope they have progressed in the last ten years.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Defenestrategy posted:

It can be a little bit more involved now, it is sometimes surprising what Azure ML will pick up on

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The default Sensitive Info Types that O365/AIP use are absolutely terrible in my experience. You do wind up writing your own regex, uploading your own dictionary, or a bunch of keywords and then futzing around with the sensitivity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

klosterdev posted:

Yeah there's some tuning to do with it, but its perfectly usable.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
My experience with CASB/DLP tooling was that I could never trust it to catch 100% of cases (or even have a reasonable false positive rate), but it was good for uncovering systemic misuse of data and tools. If you have an HR team that really loves keeping and sharing spreadsheets of SSNs or a sales team that asks for client CC#s for whatever reason, you will probably find out.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Proofpoint CASB was pretty good when I tested it for DLP. They bolt the regex on to a dictionary of other related terms to figure out if you're dealing with a high-confidence hit or not. so like if the word doc contains both the string SSN and ###-##-#### its going to flag as high priority compared to just the regex. Also prioritizes by # of hits in a file. Really helps you cut down the noise and garbage hits.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I doubt any DLP system is perfect, but from a practical perspective the alternative is the data leaves your ecosystem anyway and everything feels fine because you aren't aware of it.

Build as many guardrails as you can from a practical level, but at some point data will have to enter and leave your organization, and never underestimate a human's ability to gently caress up a well-built system.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

What monster came up with the new MSRC vulnerability pages and how can I fight them in a redmond area parking lot?

It seems like they just stopped publishing summaries or FAQs for new vulnerabilities which makes it real hard to figure out what the hell the scope is :(

Look at this poo poo:

https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2020-17051

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

What monster came up with the new MSRC vulnerability pages and how can I fight them in a redmond area parking lot?

It seems like they just stopped publishing summaries or FAQs for new vulnerabilities which makes it real hard to figure out what the hell the scope is :(

Look at this poo poo:

https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2020-17051

https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1326286259917099010?s=21

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

"It's not obfuscation, you just need a code book and a diagram on your wall explaining how the government is using radio to get into our miiinds"

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This is all lies.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

This coincides with launch of their new "Interpreter" certification path/group. They've created a new Microsoft cert on Security Response Analysis and moved their Licensing certification over to this new grouping as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

OMG THE NEW MICROSOFT I LOVE SATYA NADELLA SO MUUUUCH

drw
Aug 26, 2020

There can be no justice, so long as laws are absolute. Even life itself is an exercise in exceptions.

Hello Infosec, I am looking for a goon guide on privacy. VPNs, secure email, browsers, extensions, password managers. I am about to unplug my google home and I need to know where to go next.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

drw posted:

Hello Infosec, I am looking for a goon guide on privacy. VPNs, secure email, browsers, extensions, password managers. I am about to unplug my google home and I need to know where to go next.

Get rid of facebook, linkedin, and twitter. Then scrub your posting history of pii

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.privacytools.io

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

OMG THE NEW MICROSOFT I LOVE SATYA NADELLA SO MUUUUCH

Don’t be that guy. MS is a big company that does some things well and lots of things poorly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

drw posted:

Lol just give up now and surrender you're rear end to GOOG

drw
Aug 26, 2020

There can be no justice, so long as laws are absolute. Even life itself is an exercise in exceptions.

Defenestrategy posted:

Get rid of facebook, linkedin, and twitter. Then scrub your posting history of pii

Thanks, these will do.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol just give up now and surrender you're rear end to GOOG

They had me rear end for years, now I am willing to sneak into their datacenter to destroy the data they stole from me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://thenewoil.xyz/ has some good advice within it.

Privacytools.io is also good. The subreddits r/privacy and r/degoogle are also decent resources.

I just started degoogling and taking privacy a bit more seriously so I'm happy to talk a bit about it. And learn more of course.

My best advice is don't try to go all out right away. Especially if you've been using Gmail for years. It's been not too bad moving away from most of their services, but Gmail has been super tough with all of the accounts I've made with it for almost 2 decades. Moved from GVoice over to a VOIP provider, flashed a privacy centric Android rom and moved to FOSS apps and have been slowly migrating my cloud storage to in home or off site encrypted backups.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Thanks for the resources!

Great timing for the conversation, I was recently asked by a journalist acquaintance for tips and suggestions to improving their security on the internet and mobile phone and unfortunately turns out that looking at firewall logs a lot does not translate to practical cybersec skills.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I just discovered Shodan has a lifetime student upgrade if you have a .edu email.

I'm about to lose my .edu email soon, any other good osint (or really any) tools have lifetime/long student student upgrades?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
SimpleLogin has a free pro tier for students

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Using unbound as local full resolver would still get me to the proper edge servers of CDNs, right? This isn't something coordinated with the ISPs DNS resolvers?