Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ethiopia is arming up big time for a Tigray conflict. We are looking at a civil war here, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Ethiopia is arming up big time for a Tigray conflict. We are looking at a civil war here, folks.
Another Biafra then?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I beg, links please. I believe what you're saying, but for the kind of reader that I am it's actually hard to figure out where to look for news updates that aren't months old.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spacewolf posted:

I beg, links please. I believe what you're saying, but for the kind of reader that I am it's actually hard to figure out where to look for news updates that aren't months old.
r/africa is your friend: https://mg.co.za/africa/2020-11-04-analysis-abiy-ahmed-won-a-nobel-peace-prize-now-ethiopia-is-on-the-brink-of-civil-war/

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Spacewolf posted:

The internet and phones are shut down and there seems to be very little information coming out of Tigray.

https://www.crisisgroup.org/africa/horn-africa/ethiopia/ethiopias-clash-tigray-getting-ceasefire-and-national-dialogue

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Spacewolf posted:

apologies in advance for being insensitive, but are you nigerian? I beg, (abeg) is a signficiant vocal tic there that i picked up and can't kick

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Tigray appears to have seized northern command headquarters, and there’s unconfirmed reports that the troops and equipment have either been captured or switched sides.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HarunMar...447732766019592

Abiy also had to move the federal forces from Western Oromia. He needed Oromo Liyu Police to keep OLF in check though Liyu's loyalty is in question. This is probably the cause of the massacre of Amhara civilians that happened a few days ago.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Airstrikes in Mekelle and other towns in Tigray.

Here’s an in depth article.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/11/05/is-ethiopia-headed-for-civil-war/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So the Amhara villages were slaughtered because Tigrayans/their elite could no longer stomach Abiy Ahmed's Oromo-Muslim premiership or reforms, I'm guessing?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Grouchio posted:

So the Amhara villages were slaughtered because Tigrayans/their elite could no longer stomach Abiy Ahmed's Oromo-Muslim premiership or reforms, I'm guessing?

What? No, he withdrew troops to attack Tigray so the OLF attacked an Amhara village in revenge for a belief that Oromo university students were attacked in Amharia.

Abiy isn’t Muslim, he’s a Pente. Islam and Christianity are syncretic. There are no religious tensions in Ethiopia (outside of everyone hating Pentes)

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

i say swears online posted:

apologies in advance for being insensitive, but are you nigerian? I beg, (abeg) is a signficiant vocal tic there that i picked up and can't kick

nope

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Abiy seeking international support for the "law enforcement operation"

https://twitter.com/AbiyAhmedAli/status/1325432994635591682?s=19

Also reports that has Abiy has cleared house today and replaced the chief of staff, head of the NISS and federal police commissioner with personal loyalists - definitely digging in

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 8, 2020

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

kustomkarkommando posted:

Abiy seeking international support for the "law enforcement operation"

https://twitter.com/AbiyAhmedAli/status/1325432994635591682?s=19

Also reports that has Abiy has cleared house today and replaced the chief of staff, head of the NISS and federal police commissioner with personal loyalists - definitely digging in

The Nobel Committee really has to spend more time when they give out the Peace Prize, just to see if the Peace actually loving lasts.

Or if any Peace actually comes from it.

And not give loving Henry Kissinger one of them, even if he offered to return it, which frankly, they should have accepted.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

RagnarokZ posted:

The Nobel Committee really has to spend more time when they give out the Peace Prize, just to see if the Peace actually loving lasts.

And not give loving Henry Kissinger one of them, even if he offered to return it, which frankly, they should have accepted.

Well technically the peace prize was for negotiating the treaty with Eritrea and the immediate transitional amnesties alongside pretty successfull contributions from Abiy in Sudan.

The reapproachment with Eritrea is holding to such a degree that now the worry is that a second front will open between the TPLF in Tigray and the Eritreans closely aligned with Addis (there's already some unconfirmed reports of shelling from on the border)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

RagnarokZ posted:

It's named after Alfred Nobel and he created it after people believed him falsely dead and articles about "The merchant of death" being dead started to appear.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

It's named after Alfred Nobel and he created it after people believed him falsely dead and articles about "The merchant of death" being dead started to appear.

Theres some confusion I think, it's actually a "best customer" award

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

To be fair Abiy also made a ton of domestic political reforms.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Well technically the peace prize was for negotiating the treaty with Eritrea and the immediate transitional amnesties alongside pretty successfull contributions from Abiy in Sudan.

The reapproachment with Eritrea is holding to such a degree that now the worry is that a second front will open between the TPLF in Tigray and the Eritreans closely aligned with Addis (there's already some unconfirmed reports of shelling from on the border)

Isn’t there a lot of bad blood still between the Eritrean government and the TPLF? Even though the Eritrean President is also Tigrayan. There’s a lot of old tension left over from the civil war time that never got resolved, despite the shared ethnicity.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Squalid posted:

Isn’t there a lot of bad blood still between the Eritrean government and the TPLF? Even though the Eritrean President is also Tigrayan. There’s a lot of old tension left over from the civil war time that never got resolved, despite the shared ethnicity.

Yeah they still very much do not like each other, bad blood from the civil war and some profound ideological differences aside (the TPLF supporting multinational federalism based on ethnicity in opposition to Eritrea's more centralised post-colonial nationalism as well as some real crusty left-wing arguments from back when the TPLF where open Hoxha supporters and accused the Eritrean government party of being revisionists) the TPLF being the dominant faction in government during the war and Tigray being front and centre in the fighting has left some more immediate animosity.

I don't think Eritrea are gonna cross the border any time soon to help Addis but if the forces under the TPLF find themselves under pressure from a federal advance pushing across the border into Eritrea becomes a possibility for them I think if the stories about large scale defection in the Ethiopian Northern Command are true.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Ethiopian government brought some journalists up to the Northern Command base in Dansha they've apparently retaken and sent them back down south again quite promptly, seems like the surrounding area is still contested.

Reuters with the back room chit chat on fatalities

Reuters posted:

A military official in Amhara, on the side of the federal troops, told Reuters that clashes with Tigrayan forces in Kirakir had killed nearly 500 on the Tigrayan side.

Three security sources in Amhara working with federal troops said the Ethiopian army had also lost hundreds in the original battle in Dansha.

Reuters has been unable to verify numbers, though a diplomat also said hundreds were believed to have died.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ethiopia-conflict/hundreds-killed-in-escalating-ethiopian-conflict-sources-say-idUKKBN27P0L2

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-11-09/ethiopians-including-soldiers-flee-escalating-conflict-to-sudan

Several Ethiopians, including army soldiers, fled the escalating conflict in the restive Tigray region to neighbouring Sudan on Monday, Sudanese state media and residents said.

The flare-up in the northern region bordering Eritrea and Sudan has killed hundreds of people, Ethiopian sources on the government side said, even as the prime minister sought on Monday to reassure the world his nation was not sliding into civil war.

The worsening conflict threatens to destabilise Africa's second most populous nation, where ethnic conflict has already killed hundreds since Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed took over in 2018.

https://en.halbeeg.com/2020/11/10/ethiopian-soldiers-flee-to-sudan-after-clash-with-tigrayian-forces/

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

PawParole posted:

Ethiopia
Africa's second most populous nation

This really surprised me, I would have expected that to be Egypt, with Kongo, Kenia or South Africa in third place. Guess I know less about Africa then I thought.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ethiopia's really fertile and at a pleasant altitude, its small towns are probably a lot closer together and more populated than other areas

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

President of Tigray/Chairman of the TPLF accusing Eritrea of launching an offensive and crossing the border - Eritrea denying this of course

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

MonikaTSarn posted:

This really surprised me, I would have expected that to be Egypt, with Kongo, Kenia or South Africa in third place. Guess I know less about Africa then I thought.

kenia? kongo?

I'd place somalia at around 30 mill, but otherwise this list seems accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_countries_by_population

President of Tigray/Chairman of the TPLF accusing Eritrea of launching an offensive and crossing the border - Eritrea denying this of course

my sources are denying it too

PawParole fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 10, 2020

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/AUC_MoussaFaki/status/1326100751534452737

Reuters posted:

Ethiopia said on Tuesday that peace talks are only possible with Tigray’s local government if military hardware is destroyed, federal officials are released from custody and leaders of the region are arrested.

We are open to negotiation once we have won...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/rcoreyb/status/1326487139278843904?s=19

Big unknown in all of this does still remain how much of the military, if any, has defected to the TPLF - this is the first admission I've seen that some rather senior officers colluded with them at the least.

It's still hard to pick out truth from false information what with the communications black out and the twitter war of opinion but the arrest of several journalists being confirmed does give some credence to the reports of Tigrayans being interned circulating

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/rcoreyb/status/1326487139278843904?s=19

Big unknown in all of this does still remain how much of the military, if any, has defected to the TPLF - this is the first admission I've seen that some rather senior officers colluded with them at the least.

It's still hard to pick out truth from false information what with the communications black out and the twitter war of opinion but the arrest of several journalists being confirmed does give some credence to the reports of Tigrayans being interned circulating

It’s pretty much a known fact that the northern command defected to Tigray. It’s one of the causes of the war, that they placed Tigrayan loyalists in command of it, and refused to let Abiy appoint officers.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

By the way, there is an active war in Western Oromia where a large section of the Ethiopian army had to vacate. Oromo are attacking Amhara 'settlers'.

PawParole fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 12, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PawParole posted:

It’s pretty much a known fact that the northern command defected to Tigray. It’s one of the causes of the war, that they placed Tigrayan loyalists in command of it, and refused to let Abiy appoint officers.
And thus it is a war of insubordination rather than jingoistic oppression or aggression.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

PawParole posted:

By the way, there is an active war in Western Oromia where a large section of the Ethiopian army had to vacate. Oromo are kicking out Amhara 'settlers'.

Have you seen how the Oromo protest movement is generally falling rhetoric wise on this? I've seen a mix of "fascist Abiy and his Amhara minions brutally suppressing regional autonomy" and "gently caress the TPLF, chickens coming home to roost etc" from different people but generally that's taking a back seat to Tigrayan activists claiming genocide and anti-federalists blaming the TPLF for secretly bankrolling all ethnic movements to undermine the government.

Just wondering if this is gonna help the Prosperity Party in the elections in Oromia if/when they actually happen

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

In non-ethiopia news

Daily Maverick posted:

With an arrest warrant out for him and facing corruption charges, ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule will stay in office even after his Friday court appearance.

The ANC has backtracked on its August anti-corruption decisions and says that it has not asked its secretary-general Ace Magashule to step aside and neither does it expect him to do so.

Magashule faces various corruption and maladministration charges related to his terms as Free State premier and he is scheduled to make a first appearance in the Bloemfontein magistrates court on Friday, 13 November.

“We did not discuss (him) stepping down. The issue of stepping down is a matter the NEC (national executive committee) is still seized with,” said the party’s treasurer-general Paul Mashatile.

At a special anti-corruption NEC meeting in August, the party restated a 2015 resolution that “those accused of corruption and other serious crimes against the people, including those charged in courts, may be expected to step aside from their positions or responsibilities” and said corruption had made it …”collectively to dip our heads in shame and to humble ourselves before the people”.

But Magashule has been given a hospital pass by the ANC even though he faces a raft of corruption charges related to the R255-million Free State asbestos audit. The deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte said that the NEC had put its “step-aside” decision on the back burner and would take “serious legal counsel” on it because in other cases, charges were withdrawn and court cases had become complicated.

It is likely to discuss the step-aside resolution at its next NEC meeting. There will be no special executive meeting to discuss the charges Magashule is facing.

Really making Ramaphosa look a complete loving fool here

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In non-ethiopia news

Really making Ramaphosa look a complete loving fool here
It's almost like the ANC can't survive long-term without Nelson Mandela.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/AFPAfrica/status/1326935789591212033

Abiy trumpeting victories in Western Tigray which cuts the TPLF off from Eastern Sudan, which is a pretty big deal as this is their only feasible supply route for a protracted conflict. UN already raising the alarm about the closure of humanitarian corridors into Tigray as well as the swelling number of refugees amassing in Sudan.

TPLF seems to have moved to mass mobilization in response:

BBC Africa posted:

Residents of Ethiopia's northern Tigray region have been ordered to mobilise by authorities who say they must "defend" themselves from "flagrant aggression" from the federal government...

The TPLF declared a state of emergency to "defend the security and existence of the people of Tigray and their sovereignty", the state broadcaster Tigray TV reported.

It relayed a government warning that "action will be taken against anyone who fails to co-operate".

Perhaps most worryingly Amnesty International have independently verified some of the grisly photos circulating of mass killings in the regions captured by federal forces...

quote:

Amnesty International can today confirm that scores, and likely hundreds, of people were stabbed or hacked to death in Mai-Kadra (May Cadera) town in the South West Zone of Ethiopia’s Tigray Region on the night of 9 November.

The organization’s Crisis Evidence Lab has examined and digitally verified gruesome photographs and videos of bodies strewn across the town or being carried away on stretchers. It confirmed the images were recent and using satellite imagery, geolocated them to Mai-Kadra in western Tigray state (14.071008, 36.564681).

“We have confirmed the massacre of a very large number of civilians, who appear to have been day labourers in no way involved in the ongoing military offensive. This is a horrific tragedy whose true extent only time will tell as communication in Tigray remains shut down,” said Deprose Muchena, Amnesty International’s Director for East and Southern Africa...

The organization has also spoken to witnesses, who were providing food and other supplies to the Ethiopian Defense Forces (EDF), who visited the town immediately after the deadly attack, on the morning of 10 November, to find dead bodies strewn all over the town, as well as injured survivors.

Most of the dead bodies were found in the town centre, near the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia, and along a road that exits to the neighbouring Humera town, according to the witnesses and verified images...

Amnesty International has not yet been able to confirm who was responsible for the killings, but has spoken to witnesses who said forces loyal to the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) were responsible for the mass killings, apparently after they suffered defeat from the federal EDF forces.

Three people told Amnesty International that survivors of the massacre told them that they were attacked by members of Tigray Special Police Force and other TPLF members.

“There was a military operation by the EDF and Amhara Special Force against the Tigray Special Police and militia at a place called Lugdi during the daytime on 9 November. After they defeated the Tigray forces, the EDF spent the night on the outskirts of Mai-Kadra town. When we entered, we saw a lot of dead bodies, soaked in blood, on the streets and rental dormitories frequented by seasonal workers. The view was really debasing, and I am still in shock struggling to cope with the experience,” a civilian who entered the town after it was retaken by EDF told Amnesty International.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...n-tigray-state/

little snippet in an AP piece where they managed to speak with someone fleeing the fighting:

AP posted:

Filimon, who gave only his first name, said those attacking the Tigray regional town of Humera last week came from the direction of nearby Eritrea, though it was impossible to know whether the attackers were Eritrean forces.

Federal authorities also confirming the stories that had been circulating for a while of mass round-ups in the Addis Ababa:

Fana BC posted:

Addis Ababa Police Commission stated that it has arrested 242 individuals who have been allegedly recruited by the TPLF Junta to cause terror in the capital.

In a press conference held today, Commissioner of the Addis Ababa Police Commission, Getu Argaw said that the plotters were found while preparing to bring about terror in the capital city.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ethiopia's really fertile and at a pleasant altitude, its small towns are probably a lot closer together and more populated than other areas

There aren't that many small towns really except on the few major paved roads. Otherwise, every hundred km or so you'll get a trading village of maybe 1000-2000 people. In between, there will be a never-ending series of little tiny communities of 10-20 huts, continuously, every kilometer, and as far as the eye can see, with terraced farming going up the highest mountains. The whole countryside if you go off the few main paved roads looks like this, in which you can see a small community in the foreground, and a few other tiny communities in the background—none of which even reach the size that you would call them 'villages' (no church even). Getting to school or to market is not easy, as you can probably imagine.

which is a photo I took near the border of Tigray and Amhara earlier this year, halfway between Sekota and Korem.

The image is high res if you click and open it in a new window for full size, you can really pick out the tiny communities far into the distance thanks to the reflective metal roofs on newer constructions. This was at the tail-end of dry season so everything looks like much more marginal farming land than it actually is.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 14, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah those tiny places add up. there are places in central-western nigeria where i could spin around and not see a sign of people, but it was rare. the rift valley and nile continuation to the north definitely have a higher rural population than other areas of the continent

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

yeah those tiny places add up. there are places in central-western nigeria where i could spin around and not see a sign of people, but it was rare. the rift valley and nile continuation to the north definitely have a higher rural population than other areas of the continent
Isn't Ethiopia at an altitude where tsetse flies and malaria mosquitos are hard to find?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's a bonus! I had all the oregon trail diseases in nigeria

edit i was confronted with people i know experiencing infant mortality because of class differences more than once, which was pretty devastating

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 14, 2020

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/willintune/status/1327675677429161986?s=19

Well that'll definitely internationalise things If they ain't already

Reports of three rockets, comes after both federal forces and the Tigrayan government confirmed missile attacks on the airport at Gondor and threats to strike at Asmara from the TPLF

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you even if it sounded like that. Highland Ethiopia has a great climate, good land, low insect disease load, and has been historically pretty stable. The lowlands of Ethiopia in contrast are basically unpopulated:

vs.

First one is population density, second one is elevation.