Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
There was a woman gear in one of them I played. I don't remember her being beefcake but I don't remember her being "sexy video game character". I don't remember you seeing them a lot out of 3rd person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah women look normal. Because of course they do. (They may have added beefcake women later, I think I stopped after 2).

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

There was a woman gear in one of them I played. I don't remember her being beefcake but I don't remember her being "sexy video game character". I don't remember you seeing them a lot out of 3rd person.

Rob Liefeld was too cowardly to draw the women the size of RVs and still no one in any medium is prepared to break that seal yet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't Samus Aran supposed to be like 6'6 and built like a refrigerator?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Lone Badger posted:

She was until Zero Mission put her in a tight bodysuit and heels.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

source

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The whistling mechanic to attract badguys over to you while you're hiding in AC Odyssey is so charmingly dumb. For some reason it starts off normally where they just go "What's that? Better check it out" but they get so unreasonably pissed off if you keep doing it, like "AAAAGGGGGHHHHH WHAT THE gently caress, I'M GONNA PUT A STOP TO THIS" by the third or fourth whistle.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite legendary in pokemon games (that I've played, many later gens I never got far enough to meet the legendaries in) is actually the Unknown species, because they are just weird. All the other legendaries are forces of nature embodied as animals, which is fine, but after a while it blends together. "Oh, fire bird, a fire dog, a psychic bird. Nice, whatever" but the Unknown are bizarre oddities that may be a living ancient language. There are millions of them, they are weak as hell with weird attacks that don't make much sense without looking up how they work and they are purely there as some ancient living puzzle. That's way more interesting to me.

i'm just replaying red and it's been bringing a lot of memories of Gold back. I never beat anything after and including Ruby/Sapphire, so I'm trying to remedy that.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Nov 11, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm surprised they didn't bring back the Unown for Sword/Shield, because wandering around and seeing Pokemon in the open world would be ideal for trying to hunt that last goddamn letter variation that refuses to spawn :argh:.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Never played a Metroid game after Super Metroid on the SNES but I've read somewhere that she suffered some experiments or some DNA fusion poo poo in between games, is that right? Making her some kind of super-human alien hybrid.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised they didn't bring back the Unown for Sword/Shield, because wandering around and seeing Pokemon in the open world would be ideal for trying to hunt that last goddamn letter variation that refuses to spawn :argh:.

Hey! Did you know?

That Leon, and his charizard!, is the Champion?!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given that Metroid has only had intermittent installments across thirty years between different studios it's inevitable that no one has a grasp on continuity. She got an injection of birdman DNA at some point while the suit has meshed with Xenomorph and John Carpenter's The Thing.

I wonder how she goes to the bathroom in that power-armour, but I fear some neckbeard has already written a 3000 word essay on the matter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my favourite legendary in pokemon games (that I've played, many later gens I never got far enough to meet the legendaries in) is actually the Unknown species, because they are just weird. All the other legendaries are forces of nature embodied as animals, which is fine, but after a while it blends together. "Oh, fire bird, a fire dog, a psychic bird. Nice, whatever" but the Unknown are bizarre oddities that may be a living ancient language. There are millions of them, they are weak as hell with weird attacks that don't make much sense without looking up how they work and they are purely there as some ancient living puzzle. That's way more interesting to me.

i'm just replaying red and it's been bringing a lot of memories of Gold back. I never beat anything after and including Ruby/Sapphire, so I'm trying to remedy that.

There's a bit of really wild fluff by implication with them in the mythos, especially some implied connection to Arceus, (the 'mysterious signal' in the Ruins of Alph sounds a like like Arceus' rarely used battle theme) and the freaky-deaky special event cutscene in Heart Gold/Soul Silver. (which uses said Arceus theme)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Given that Metroid has only had intermittent installments across thirty years between different studios it's inevitable that no one has a grasp on continuity. She got an injection of birdman DNA at some point while the suit has meshed with Xenomorph and John Carpenter's The Thing.

I wonder how she goes to the bathroom in that power-armour, but I fear some neckbeard has already written a 3000 word essay on the matter.

Basically like any other power armor, it has some kind of recycling system or whatever. Sounds gross but so are replicators on Star Trek.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I fear the recycled-hamburger stunt by the Yes Men will soon become a reality.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The answer is pretty simple friends- women do not poop. My girlfriend told me so, and y'know much like when you avert your eyes so as to not behold and be forced to process cthulu, I choose to believe her

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Rob Liefeld was too cowardly to draw the women the size of RVs and still no one in any medium is prepared to break that seal yet.

AssCreed have been pretty good about this. Kassandra is beefed up and a lot of the female mercenaries you fight are even more muscular than her.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm genuinely surprised they didn't throw in an area for the Unown in one of the DLCs, but I'm not THAT surprised when I take a step back and look at it with my usual 'importing Pokemon is actually a fairly intensive process and people demanding a full National Dex at launch had no clue what they were asking for' lens.

Unown is the epitome of 'too much effort, too little payoff' in terms of Pokemon importing. Because nobody loving uses them, they're basically a joke and literally useless in combat. And yet their gimmick requires, at the very least, a whole area devoted solely to them, as well as potentially entire systems to accommodate collecting and cataloguing them that can only be used for the Unown, and nothing else. And because the Unown are no fun to fight, and even less fun to collect, you can't really fold other content or Pokemon into it, either.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I also love how assholish the elite 4 are in the original game, I'd totally forgotten that after beating Lance he's like "Congratulations, you are the league champion! Or you would be, but someone beat you to it." it's like, you could have just said "OK, now fight the current champ!" you didn't have to be a dick about it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Games that note when you've 'sequence broken' a quest item or similar; the one most everyone runs into is the tablet from the first dungeon you walk past in Skyrim and go oh I'll go take a look and later when the Jarls wizard says you should go on a dangerous quest to find a widget you go actually in my pocket here...

I got another one recently in AssCreed Origins ...

I'm guessing AC:Odyssey has a bunch of these as I just got another one; my inquisitive hero pokes around a cave, kills a bunch of cultists and dives into a pool (always look at the bottom of a pool) - two chests full of loot!

Leaving the cave and walking a hundred yards, I find a guy stripped to his breeches and tied up for the wolves; Please release me, I can tell you where there is treasure nearby if you do!

Treasure in a cave, at the bottom of a pool maybe? You'll need to do better than that. :smug:

Oh poo poo er please.

edit: also visiting Pephka was a lot of fun, the whole sleazy tourist trap vibe to fleece travellers was much-needed levity. The kids "Grand Minotour" tour and the 'Prize of Pephka' contest to slay the Minotaur had me genuinely lolling.

NoneMoreNegative has a new favorite as of 13:18 on Nov 11, 2020

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Lone Badger posted:

Morpheus posted:

These ain't mutually exclusive unless the character designer is a coward just sayin'

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BioEnchanted posted:

I also love how assholish the elite 4 are in the original game, I'd totally forgotten that after beating Lance he's like "Congratulations, you are the league champion! Or you would be, but someone beat you to it." it's like, you could have just said "OK, now fight the current champ!" you didn't have to be a dick about it.

Honestly, the original Pokemon generation's games (and the second one) are really good about striking the balance where all your big opponents are dickish enough that you don't feel bad for roughing them up, but aren't so bad that you start questioning 'so why is all this stuff happening around a thirteen year old', both in the context of why it's falling to you, and why they aren't just punching out a tween and getting back to it.

Pretty much all of generations 3-7 have some moments where I can't help but wonder 'why aren't there more actual authorities doing things here'. I do give generation 5 credit for elevating the Gym Leaders to the level where they do things, and I think Sun and Moon had some sense to bring in Poke-Interpol to a significant level. Sword and Shield I think strike the right balance too: the Big-Deal Evil Plan is being done by people who are at least trying to look like they're being nice about it, so it makes sense why they treat you like they do, and all the gym leaders are just massive showboats performing for the camera, so trash talk is totally valid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sun and Moon I think had the right idea that the main antagonist for most of the game are a gang of delinquents and outcasts who do genuinely bring up issues with what's flawed about the setting of Pokemon in general and Alola in particular; what happens when ten year olds aren't as freakishly gifted with Pokemon as the player character and fail the traditional rites of passage. (something that I think resonates with a lot of the playerbase) Team Skull are pretty beloved in general for good reasons. (see also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lpqobFsotQ)

And the main antagonist being head of something like a Pokemon equivalent of the Red Cross, where most of the organisation is genuinely unaware of her
crazy poo poo and crimes against nature
is certainly quite a swerve.

Always wondered what the gently caress is up with Po Town. It's surrounded by massive steel walls, has a digitally locked entrance and is filled with abandoned mansions.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The answer is pretty simple friends- women do not poop. My girlfriend told me so, and y'know much like when you avert your eyes so as to not behold and be forced to process cthulu, I choose to believe her

Then my wife was broken from the assembly line. More so when I did chili cheese fries :haw:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The horror... The horror

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sun and Moon I think had the right idea that the main antagonist for most of the game are a gang of delinquents and outcasts who do genuinely bring up issues with what's flawed about the setting of Pokemon in general and Alola in particular; what happens when ten year olds aren't as freakishly gifted with Pokemon as the player character and fail the traditional rites of passage. (something that I think resonates with a lot of the playerbase) Team Skull are pretty beloved in general for good reasons.

Honestly, Team Skull was them striking loving gold while REAL deep in the mines. They fit so well in both tone and setting for Pokemon games that it's genuinely stunning that it took them twenty years to come up with it, and the least surprising part of Sword and Shield was them introducing Team Yell to have more of that going on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

That isn't true at all.

Tight suit Samus was there from the start and the heels are from Smash Bros, not Zero Mission.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

These ain't mutually exclusive unless the character designer is a coward just sayin'

I have some bad news. :smith:

ImpAtom posted:

Tight suit Samus was there from the start and the heels are from Smash Bros, not Zero Mission.

Yeah, Brawl and Zero Mission are where we really started to see Samus as Standard Attractive Female In A Bodysuit really get pushed forward. But this starts getting into the other thread so I shouldn't keep talking about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I always have a soft spot for Team Galactic because you realise they're basically a thinly veiled Cthulhu cult.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, the original Pokemon generation's games (and the second one) are really good about striking the balance where all your big opponents are dickish enough that you don't feel bad for roughing them up, but aren't so bad that you start questioning 'so why is all this stuff happening around a thirteen year old', both in the context of why it's falling to you, and why they aren't just punching out a tween and getting back to it.

Pretty much all of generations 3-7 have some moments where I can't help but wonder 'why aren't there more actual authorities doing things here'. I do give generation 5 credit for elevating the Gym Leaders to the level where they do things, and I think Sun and Moon had some sense to bring in Poke-Interpol to a significant level. Sword and Shield I think strike the right balance too: the Big-Deal Evil Plan is being done by people who are at least trying to look like they're being nice about it, so it makes sense why they treat you like they do, and all the gym leaders are just massive showboats performing for the camera, so trash talk is totally valid.

The problem with Sword/Shield is a lot of the plot is classic Pokemon story faire except you don't get to actually play it. Multiple story beats go "Something big is happening, Leon and others are investigating this cool place in front of you that looks like it'll be an awesome dungeon filled with dangerous Pokemon and a boss at the end... Why are you still here? Go get back in your mundane journey towards the next Gym :confused:".

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, Brawl and Zero Mission are where we really started to see Samus as Standard Attractive Female In A Bodysuit really get pushed forward. But this starts getting into the other thread so I shouldn't keep talking about it.

Metroid 1 had the swimsuit mode and her armor could get blasted off in Super Metroid, they maybe put it more in focus in later games but Samus being secretly hot was there from the beginning.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Galactic and Skull are great, but I always liked team Magma and Aqua because they had refreshingly simple 90s cartoon villain motivations. There should be more ocean! No, more land! Very stupid and easy to grasp, but thematically appropriate given the Hoenn landscape and legendaries.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dewgy posted:

Metroid 1 had the swimsuit mode and her armor could get blasted off in Super Metroid, they maybe put it more in focus in later games but Samus being secretly hot was there from the beginning.
I just looked it up as I never played more than a few hours.

https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Metroid_endings#Metroid

You finish the games in a short enough time and are sometimes rewarded with a skimpy Samus outfit?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

RareAcumen posted:

The female barbarian in Diablo 3 is beefy as gently caress and it's awesome.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

Right, it's been there from the beginning but it was pretty easy to ignore up until relatively recently. That's all I was trying to say.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Right, it's been there from the beginning but it was pretty easy to ignore up until relatively recently. That's all I was trying to say.

Heck, there's even a code that puts Samus into her zero/bathing suit thing the whole time in metroid one.

Metroid man horny (and a terrible writer, but that probably goes more in the other thread that I assume exists)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Heck, there's even a code that puts Samus into her zero/bathing suit thing the whole time in metroid one.

Metroid man horny (and a terrible writer, but that probably goes more in the other thread that I assume exists)

I can't believe i still remember JUSTIN BAILEY. I never even owned the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

poonchasta posted:

The female barbarian in Diablo 3 is beefy as gently caress and it's awesome.

I said that but then I remembered Kale from Dragon Ball Super and she was the first example of going Street Fighter sized that I can remember, and they very quickly went 'no no, none of that' and shrunk her back down to Freeza sized like every other woman.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel team magma and aqua aren't really that bad because when they've awakened the legendary and the chips are down they both explicitly tell your character "look, this is no place for a kid, this is not a fun romp with your friends anymore, you should probably just go home before you get yourself and all your pets killed"... And then they really do just leave to go do their business elsewhere without saying where they're going. You have to figure out where they went on your own.

Despite being crazy weirdos who want to and totally have the means to cause the end of the world, at least both leaders recognize that yes, their goal is in fact an extremely adult matter and children really shouldn't be involved in it. They at least understand the magnitude of what they each want to accomplish and that it will bring massive destruction either way. Not that that's really fair to anyone not part of teams aqua or magma but at least they have some scruples.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Nov 11, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started on a replay of Pokemon Gold now that I've finished Red (intended to take a break but I couldn't find Celeste, but I've found it now so i'll play that tomorrow) and I like how the rival's pokemon theft plays out - you see the rival hanging out suspiciously before you go on the errand, then after you meet mr pokemon and prof oak, you get a call asking you to come back asap as something terrible happened. Then the rival shows up on the way back to town and challenges you (he doesn't even say where he got his pokemon from, he just says "I have a strong pokemon too!" letting you believe he may have always had it), and finally the professor tells you that that guy just stole one of his pokemon. It kind of builds tension with incomplete information and implications before spelling it out.

It's interesting storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
In Paper Mario: The Origami King, Toads that you find in the overworld fill up bleachers and cheer you on during battles. In the final fight of the game, it's revealed that the bad guy wants to genocide all Toads. And I brought 400 Toads to watch me beat him up.