Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Is there any way to fix the metadata on legitimately bought movies? The publisher was inconsistent on how they numbered a series.

Is there even a way to sort content in the TV App Library? I guess I can make a playlist.

E: Apparently I have to download the episode to add it to a playlist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm having a problem when I ad things to Music (né iTunes) where if I add an album that I bought from another site such as Booth or Bandcamp it will be there on my Mac but it will sometimes either only partially add it to my iCloud account or not at all, making it so I cannot play the album on other devices. Is there a way to force upload to iCloud somehow?

Do you have iTunes Match?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Do you have iTunes Match?

Yep

Edit: for example- I bought the latest Drive By Truckers album on Bandcamp and added it to Music. The album has 9 songs, but only 7 of those show up on my iPhone. The ones on Music that are missing on my phone show a dashed-line cloud icon in the Music window.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 5, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Like so

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think the dotted line means it hasn’t synced yet. If there’s a line through it it means it can’t sync it. I think there’s a “sync now” or something similar button either in settings or the menus.

Edit: I might be wrong about there being a button but I thought there was.

Violator fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 5, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Apparently if I click "add to library" in the command-click menu, it will eventually add it to the cloud. I have "Synch Library' checked in Music's preferences, but it seems like I have to do this with each song and it doesn't always work. This is pretty annoying.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I realize this is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyways: in iTunes, does anyone else ever have the issue where you open the app, immediately go to search for something in the search bar, and after hitting return, it either does nothing or shows you the results from the *last* search you did? Like I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I've had this same Mac profile transferred through 4 or 5 different machines over the years and there's probably just something fundamentally broken about it, but if there's something I can do to un-gently caress iTunes, that would be wonderful.

Example: https://imgur.com/a/HqHLOQJ

And just since I posted this, I tried clearing out ~/Library/[Preferences|Caches]/com.apple.iTunes* and ~/Library/[Preferences|Caches]Caches/com.apple.music*

No difference.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 6, 2020

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’ve gone through two macOS updates on my new 2020 MBP since purchase. Most recent was the Catalina supplemental update that just got pushed to my machine tonight. Both times, they seem to complete and work fine, but during the loading screen when the update begins, a red square flashes for just a fraction of a second behind the apple icon before the first or second restart.

The red square doesn’t appear at any other time. Not in normal boot up or shutdown, or in booting to safe mode or recovery. Disk checks and the basic Apple Hardware Diagnostics tool detect no issues.

Could there be anything to this? Maybe normal during updates? Should I try resetting the NVRAM?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I’ve gone through two macOS updates on my new 2020 MBP since purchase. Most recent was the Catalina supplemental update that just got pushed to my machine tonight. Both times, they seem to complete and work fine, but during the loading screen when the update begins, a red square flashes for just a fraction of a second behind the apple icon before the first or second restart.

The red square doesn’t appear at any other time. Not in normal boot up or shutdown, or in booting to safe mode or recovery. Disk checks and the basic Apple Hardware Diagnostics tool detect no issues.

Could there be anything to this? Maybe normal during updates? Should I try resetting the NVRAM?

I saw this happen consistently on a whole lab of Macs (40~ units) during the same update, and none of them have any issue. Probably just some gfx driver fuckery.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Helpful MacRumors poster: "Try updating to the latest big sur beta to fix igpu issues"

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

NeuralSpark posted:

I saw this happen consistently on a whole lab of Macs (40~ units) during the same update, and none of them have any issue. Probably just some gfx driver fuckery.

I've had this happen to all of the macs at work, several computer labs and 100+ workstations. From what I can tell there is no larger underlying issue that this is a symptom of, just some driver nonsense.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks, I will continue to ignore it. I guess Big Sur is coming soon, so I’ll see if it shows up again then.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So Office still isn't out on Apple Silicon yet right? No way am I buying a new macbook till that happens.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I'm very curious to see what performance is like for non-native apps, specifically Clip Studio Paint. edit: Hopefully Affinity Photo will get a bump soon. Eh... I can't even think about getting new hardware probably for another year or more anyway :sigh:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So Office still isn't out on Apple Silicon yet right? No way am I buying a new macbook till that happens.

It will run on rosetta 2 right now, I doubt you will notice the overhead unless you are really pushing excel.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
MSFT has known about this for awhile and it already runs on iOS/iPadOS. I don't think it'll be much past launch day that you'll be fine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I know I shouldn’t get the first gen but I’m feeling mighty tempted by that arm Mac Mini.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I know I shouldn’t get the first gen but I’m feeling mighty tempted by that arm Mac Mini.

Not sure if I should get one of those, or the intel one which has been sitting in my cart for the last month while those are still available.

edit: According to the store the M1's max out at 16GB RAM, while intel supports 64GB, so that makes that decision easy.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 10, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chalupa Joe posted:

edit: According to the store the M1's max out at 16GB RAM, while intel supports 64GB, so that makes that decision easy.

What the gently caress, why is this?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

What the gently caress, why is this?

It looks like they're going to cover more demanding usage cases (multiple displays, more ram, more thunderbolt ports, 10g ethernet, etc.) later on, if ever.

Is anyone going to install big slur on day 1? The public beta I tried a few months ago ran terribly

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm on iTunes but when this happens I can go to file > library > update icloud library. or group select, right click and "add to iCloud."

It doesn't happen super often, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the hotness for creating a Windows boot USB under Mac these days? Boot Camp Assistant isn't giving me the option to create USB and google-fu is weak for some reason.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Clark Nova posted:

Is anyone going to install big slur on day 1? The public beta I tried a few months ago ran terribly

I just upgraded to RC2 on a 2013 rMBP, supposedly this will be the final build that they will distribute as the first public Big Sur image.

Seems ok, but a wee bit slow, but it's running on practically the oldest supported config...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Clark Nova posted:

It looks like they're going to cover more demanding usage cases (multiple displays, more ram, more thunderbolt ports, 10g ethernet, etc.) later on, if ever.

Definitely will wait until next year then. gently caress that. Apparently they don’t support external gpus either.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I'm on iTunes but when this happens I can go to file > library > update icloud library. or group select, right click and "add to iCloud."

It doesn't happen super often, though.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot next time it happens. :)

edit:

Binary Badger posted:

I just upgraded to RC2 on a 2013 rMBP, supposedly this will be the final build that they will distribute as the first public Big Sur image.

Seems ok, but a wee bit slow, but it's running on practically the oldest supported config...

I'm on my early 2015 rMBP and I was wondering about that... I might wait until I hear what people using Clip Studio Paint say on compatibility before I take the plunge.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 10, 2020

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SeANMcBAY posted:

Definitely will wait until next year then. gently caress that. Apparently they don’t support external gpus either.

eGPU is a software thing. I have to imagine that porting AMD video drivers to ARM wasn't top priority.

Same thing applies to specs. to egotistically quote my own self from a yospost,

BobHoward posted:

they didn't say it, but M1 is probably the same silicon as the A14 variant (A14X?) that they'll use in an upcoming as-yet unnanounced ipad pro refresh. it lines up: limited to 16GB max DRAM, has few video outs, etc. they can easily use the exact same silicon in an ipad by thermally limiting it a little and putting it in a different package which bonds out the ipad specific i/o while not bonding out the mac specific i/o

everyone disappointed by these limitations is gonna have to wait for the next M series tapeout (M1X?) designed for bigger computers like the 16" mbp, where (presumably) they'll match current intel stuff on maximum memory amount, ssd size, and i/o

this is why they still list the 13" intel MBP and the intel mini. if you need 32GB RAM or 4TB SSD, the M1 clearly can't get you there. for the air, it's a complete replacement and intel machines are gone from the buy page

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm on my early 2015 rMBP and I was wondering about that... I might wait until I hear what people using Clip Studio Paint say on compatibility before I take the plunge.

I would imagine that if you have the 2015 rMBP with Radeon R9 M370X it should be fine, the iGPU is what drags things down IMHO since Big Sur is somewhat more graphics heavy than Mojave or Catalina..

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

I would imagine that if you have the 2015 rMBP with Radeon R9 M370X it should be fine, the iGPU is what drags things down IMHO since Big Sur is somewhat more graphics heavy than Mojave or Catalina..

It's the 13" model with intel Iris 6100.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ It should be fine..

Now that I've had time to play around with Big Sur v.11.0.1, build 20B28, this build feels like they tightened up the coding and everything is actually performing as snappily as when I had the same machine running Mojave.

If RC2 is truly the final GM, it gets approval from me.

Even Facebook / Tampermonkey / FaceBook Purity are running at a darn decent clip on an 8 GB bog standard 2.4 GHz rMBP.

Some pages are still a little slow to load but I bet if I put it on a 16 GB machine it'd be even better..

Bootup time from cold start is about the same as Mojave, even with FileVault on.

Caveat emptor: I'm using a 500 GB Samsung EVO 960 in place of the Apple OEM 256 GB SSD, it's somewhat faster than the Apple while retaining maximum compatibility.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 11, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sounds good to me. I usually ask to get 5-7 years out of a laptop if I can, so being able to run Big Sur on my 2015 MBP ok for now instead of considering upgrading my machine anytime soon (I'd normally consider going for the new M1 MBP but since I was out of work for almost 6 months...) gives me a bit of relief.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How does running iOS apps on an Arm Mac work? Would be cool to play something like the excellent Sonic 1 and 2 ports on something that isn’t a phone.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It sounds like the dev has to explicitly allow the app to run on mac os, so older games might not get it even if all they'd have to do is go in and check a checkbox in xcode

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

It's the opposite, iOS apps are being made available on macOS unless the developer explicitly opts out of it.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
High Sierra loses security updates once Big Sur drops, right?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Clark Nova posted:

ive got big sur blocked in my environment.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Re: the RAM and to tag onto what some other posters have alluded to--remember, all of this RAM has to fit on-die. Furthermore, we'll probably see a variant of this silicon in an iPad Pro refresh and they sure as poo poo weren't putting 32 GB of DRAM into that so....

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

High Sierra loses security updates once Big Sur drops, right?

Looks very likely.

I keep one machine running HS and whenever I attach a new Catalina laptop to it via Target Disk Mode it complains that the drive is in an incompatible format.

Apple has been updating the APFS format so much that they literally haven't bothered to update previous OSes to at least be capable of reading the new format..

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
big sur's ui looks awful so far - sort of feels like a wet fart to me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

Apple has been updating the APFS format so much that they literally haven't bothered to update previous OSes to at least be capable of reading the new format..

Can you imagine how thrilled the FS developers are when they get told, for the first time in their lives, that they can iterate on a format and not care that much about backward compatibility? What a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trying to download Big Sur, but the app store is saying that it's not available for me?