Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Curling your fingers under and doing a win+L like that is kind of painful. I'd go with a flat palm for that, or more likely just use the win key on the other side of the keyboard. Why does Tony always have to make things as uncomfortable and awkward as possible -- never mind, I just answered my own question.

It's how I do it. :smith:

And my name is "Tony".

Uh-oh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
He does the WIN+L with his robo hand so once again technology proves superior.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Was about to ask why Annie doesn't just say "hey dad I'd like us to talk and open up more with each other" but then realized she's a teenager and probably doesn't really get the concept of communication like that yet

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

T-man posted:

is tony a goon, a redditor, or a channer?

Tony's social media / forum experience: one niche barely-active tech-support forum for some specific software, where he posts way more than anyone else. Maybe also slashdot.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 11, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Was about to ask why Annie doesn't just say "hey dad I'd like us to talk and open up more with each other" but then realized she's a teenager and probably doesn't really get the concept of communication like that yet

And she does take after him too. She might be better at being social but she still gets out of her depth easily.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

as someone with a tony-like dad it wouldn't work

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish my dad had a cool bionic hand

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Ditocoaf posted:

Tony's social media / forum experience: one niche barely-active tech-support forum for some specific software, where he posts way more than anyone else. Maybe also slashdot.

I feel like Tony could get really litigious on obscure pages of Wikipedia

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

T-man posted:

as someone with a tony-like dad it wouldn't work

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I don't think I'd realised before this issue that Tony had the use of both of his hands.

Kat grew him a new one, remember?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I don't think I'd realised before this issue that Tony had the use of both of his hands.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2075

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The real character development at play here is that last time we saw Tony use a computer he had to left-hand the mouse

edit: Oh yeah, something I found interesting from the treatise page just prior. On this page Annie's shirt resembles Ysengrin's coat...

...but looking closer it seems those two lines have always been kind of a part of Forest Annie's ensemble!

Even still to this day!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 12, 2020

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

CJacobs posted:

The real character development at play here is that last time we saw Tony use a computer he had to left-hand the mouse

Having injured my right hand and having to do that myself, you do get used to it after a few weeks, but it still isn't as good as actually having your dominant hand.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Warmachine posted:

That's a novice bind, learned the first time a coworker fucks with your desktop when you go to the loo.

Agreed, I'm just saying that doing it without looking is pretty pro.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

God Tony sucks.

“I can’t be bothered to treat my child like a person because i’m sad. :qq: Clearly my needs are the only ones that matter!”

I know there’ll be some kind of sad sack rationale for the difference in how he treats each Annie coming up, but it’ll only make me madder. Time to grow up and buckle down for her/their sakes, Mister. :colbert:

feetnotes fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 13, 2020

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Tony can only open up one and one. With Annie, Surma is also there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

feetnotes posted:

God Tony sucks.

“I can’t be bothered to treat my child like a person because i’m sad. :qq: Clearly my needs are the only ones that matter!”

I know there’ll be some kind of sad sack rationale for the difference in how he treats each Annie coming up, but it’ll only make me madder. Time to grow up and buckle down for her/their sakes, Mister. :colbert:

I think this is a bit reductionist my guy. The dude isn't sad, he's guilt ridden. He blames himself for Surma's death and why Annie grew up without a mother. He correctly blames himself for why she grew up without a father. He nearly killed her trying to get his wife's soul back because he couldn't understand what had actually happened. He know's he's a Bad Dad, and hates himself for it. He still loves her--he came back because the court was threatening to expel Annie if he didn't come reign her in (though to what degree that is the truth, and to what degree the court keep's Annie close as a leash on Tony is up to debate).

Now you pile all this on a crippling anxiety disorder, shake it up, and serve it over ice and you've got one messed up example of a human psyche who cannot just "get over it." :fuckoff:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tony has always sucked, no matter how much people itt want it to be otherwise

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If the Court wasn't some extralegal amoral scientist enclave, any sane and functional society would probably have revoked custody rights from Tony over Annie by now. :colbert:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Tony has always sucked, no matter how much people itt want it to be otherwise

and people have always been lovely about mental health itt

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
LMAO Tom's author note for today's page is incredible because I didn't realize Tony just ran out the door in socks. Check the previous page to compare.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable opinion given that Renard is saying the same thing in today’s comic and we have seen over and over how hard it is on Annie. He’s actively making her miserable every day of her life!

No one said mental health problems don’t exist, chill.

It would go a really long way if he could say “I know I suck at this, I’m sorry, I’m trying” like, even one time.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

dude cut off his arm to see his dead wife at the behest of demons. I'm not sure if he should be in charge of himself let alone 1-2 children.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

feetnotes posted:

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable opinion given that Renard is saying the same thing in today’s comic and we have seen over and over how hard it is on Annie. He’s actively making her miserable every day of her life!

No one said mental health problems don’t exist, chill.

It would go a really long way if he could say “I know I suck at this, I’m sorry, I’m trying” like, even one time.

Nah, the "get over it" refrain is a tired old trope with this. TBH I didn't start my post with the intent to get confrontational, but... this is kinda an issue near and dear to my heart.

T-man posted:

dude cut off his arm to see his dead wife at the behest of demons. I'm not sure if he should be in charge of himself let alone 1-2 children.

T-man is right, as usual. The dude needs serious help, and he's not getting it. It's not an excuse for his behavior, but it is absolutely unhelpful to go "buck up and move on." Harmful, even, if real life suicide rates and correlations are anything to go on.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

feetnotes posted:

Well if he was capable of just simply setting his anxiety aside and being honest with her, then this wouldn't be a problem in the first place!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The more he acts like this, the more he increases the pressure on himself that prevents him from acting otherwise.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Ooookay, I was definitely not trying to increase the suicide rate or belittle anxiety disorders or anything like that. I was just trying to discuss my thoughts on this comic. I’m sorry I was insensitive and caused people pain.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

feetnotes posted:

Ooookay, I was definitely not trying to increase the suicide rate or belittle anxiety disorders or anything like that. I was just trying to discuss my thoughts on this comic. I’m sorry I was insensitive and caused people pain.

this is the almost the shittiest way to apologize, but at least you didn't say I'm sorry if you were offended or hurt

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Basically Annie's some conversations with her father are them begging themselves to be neurotypical for just five minutes internally while the other doing the same thing.

For real though, I've softened on Tony a lot and I kind of appreciate how his issues are handled. The narrative neither condemns nor forgives him but instead focuses on the reality of the situation and how Annies are going to manage it. It speaks to me as someone who has a neurodivergent family.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Saying Tony just needs to buck up might be wrong, but I think it's correct to criticize him for doing nothing to make things better. Maybe off screen he's getting therapy or going to Donny for help. But onscreen he's done absolutely nothing. His mental issues are not a moral failing, but not doing anything to stop them from hurting Annie absolutely is.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 13, 2020

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I love Tony because he sucks butt, just the biggest butt sucker and I love that.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

He just had something important to do, jeez.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Saying Tony just needs to buck up might be wrong, but I think it's correct to criticize him for doing nothing to make things better. Maybe off screen he's getting therapy or going to Donny for help. But onscreen he's done absolutely nothing. His mental issues are not a moral failing, but not doing anything to stop them from hurting Annie absolutely is.

Right, and there's a lot of people complicit in this, from Donny not taking the bull by the horns, to the Court who are I'm sure more than content with him being this way if it keeps him hooked into working on the Omega Device.

Also, we haven't actually been shown what goes on in Tony's head. The closest we had was the candid conversation with Donny, where we actually got a look at Tony and get to see that he knows he absolutely does not have a handle on any of this. It is entirely possible that he just straight up can't. He's already an anxiety riddled robot, now ask him to be vulnerable and have a human moment (which we've established he can't seem to figure out how to do) with Annie? You may as well ask him to fly.

I doubt he'd object to someone saying, "Hey, you need to spend some time away from Annie and with someone who can help you" though. But no one is stepping up to the plate to give him that out. I know for sure Tony can't see it himself.

In fact, the only way I see Tony actually getting better is if Donny or Kat intervene. F!Annie is too stunted herself to really leverage the fact that he is human with her to do it, and James is... James. Maybe Anja could too, but I don't think she's close enough to Tony?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wittgen posted:

Saying Tony just needs to buck up might be wrong, but I think it's correct to criticize him for doing nothing to make things better.

A thing to remember is that this?

This *is* better. This *is* progress. This is him making more of an effort.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Tony is pulling a SBEmail 99. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4-kP8Ps8ys&t=165s

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to pretend I have had as much pressure on me in life as Tony, but I have definitely got something of what he's got going on. Multiple occasions in my life I've been in emotionally fraught situations where I just needed to say something, anything, and could not. Might as well have asked me to pick myself up by my hair.

Saying I should have gotten over it and "just said the thing" is both true and counterproductive, which makes discussions on the subject frustrating for all involved.

I think the comic does a fine job portraying this (the fingernails in his hand moment was very good), and the conversation with Donny was extremely cathartic for me, clarifying what's going on with him.

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 16, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I as the reader am starting to get a little fatigued at Bad Father Tony

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Are we gonna get another Zimmy scream on the next page?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fecha posted:

Are we gonna get another Zimmy scream on the next page?

The scream pages get closer and closer together. Soon every other page is Zimmy screaming. Then every page.

The comic continues for another five years to rave reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I as the reader am starting to get a little fatigued at Bad Father Tony
He's only Bad Father Tony half of the time and he's working on it. It'll happen because we've already seen it happen - it just has to happen one more time.