Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

I will not;

Will you at least Google for "sexy Yautja"?

EDIT: What a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Posting because I was telling a guy about aliens and now I'm thinking of them and am legally obligated to post in this thread.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

And now a word from our sponsor..

https://twitter.com/SigourneyWRuss/status/1322369592006758400

I'm tickled she compared orange pee brain to an endoparacitoid acid spraying monster

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yet another reason why anime is terrible.

Level E was originally published just before Alien Resurrection.

I rest my case.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

HiroProtagonist posted:

Search Google for 'sexy xenomorph'

its not good

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Binary Badger posted:

And now a word from our sponsor..

https://twitter.com/SigourneyWRuss/status/1322369592006758400

I'm tickled she compared orange pee brain to an endoparacitoid acid spraying monster

She's awesome.

HiroProtagonist posted:

I, sadly, have googled this many, many times for this thread.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HiroProtagonist posted:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Images with potentially life threatening auras

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I, sadly, have googled this many, many times for this thread.

Hell where do you think I got the inspiration for that terrible post :shepface:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3947061

Folks we got a thread full of people saying The Thing isn't good

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:monocle:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Splicer posted:

LIES! Everyone thinks The Thing is good, that thread included.

But Alien is better...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have to catch up on that thread but in IT Chapter 2, Bill Hader says "You gotta be loving kidding" to a spider head thing. I thought it was great.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have to catch up on that thread but in IT Chapter 2, Bill Hader says "You gotta be loving kidding" to a spider head thing. I thought it was great.

That’s amazing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Splicer posted:

Oh. Well, if they're talking about the video game, they're right.

Be nice if someone took another stab at that one. Hell, use the Alien: Isolation engine/developers

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
This is just an observation. Nothing earth shattering. Just me making a point that the Hollywood elites are a bunch of nitwits.

A few years back, wanting to be more cultured, I decided to start watching every movie on the AFI top 100 list. I refer to this list regularly when deciding something new to watch. Sadly, neither Alien or Aliens are on this list. Now they do have a top 10 top 10, which is the top 10 movies across 10 different categories. Only Alien makes the sci-fi list at #7.

Now, if you take a gander at the IMDB movie rankings list, rated by users, you'll find Alien currently at #53 and Aliens at #73.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Should be higher.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 97%. My cable has RT ratings listed on movies and when it was last on TV it had a 100%.

94% audience score over 430,000 ratings.

Who in their right mind gave it a thumbs down?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Aliens should transcend any earthly scales.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just finished watching a really good LP of Alien: Isolation by Mr. Odd.

I like the series because it's just him doing the narration as he plays, so there isn't a group of people yapping away, or a Twitch chat, or anything like that. It really helps to maintain the atmosphere of the game. He's also playing through blind, and on Hard mode, so the tension gets cranked up pretty high at times.

Anyway, the part towards the end of the game where Amanda gets to listen to the message that her mother left for her, holy gently caress that got me right in the feels. Such a good game. I never finished the game myself, so it was cool to see how everything played out. For any Alien fans who don't see themselves playing through the game, it's a neat little chapter in the saga, and worth a watch.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I might have to check that out. I was watching twitch and I couldn't stand the people playing or chatting.

31 videos is a lot but I guess I'm not doing a whole lot with my entire life.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Alien: Isolation is a fantastic game with exceptional attention to retro-futuristic detail matching the Alien timeframe, and it's 100% canon. You owe it to yourself to play through it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think I've mentioned a few times in this thread how much of a bitch I am.

We gotta set up a game of some more AvP 2010 in this thread together sometime. I'm not bad, but I need tranquilizers.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

That just adds to the experience, and I mean in a good way :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

We gotta set up a game of some more AvP 2010 in this thread together sometime. I'm not bad, but I need tranquilizers.
One of my fondest college avp2 memories was playing as predator stalking two very very jumpy marines in the same RL room as me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

One of my fondest college avp2 memories was playing as predator stalking two very very jumpy marines in the same RL room as me.

We also learned while doing the survival stuff... always give Pennywise the smart gun.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I just finished watching a really good LP of Alien: Isolation by Mr. Odd.

I watched the first episode of this last night and it was great. He's not a moron and he does a really good job narrating. I'll probably be watching all of this. It's going to be a thing. Lying in my bed at night with the lights off and my tablet about a foot from my face lying on my chest. It was scary and probably not the best thing to fall asleep to but the dull parts help me to dose off.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 11, 2020

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
FAO any masochists out there who thought A:I wasn't unsettling enough already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJSAeCsUfXU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh. Well, if they're talking about the video game, they're right.

Be nice if someone took another stab at that one. Hell, use the Alien: Isolation engine/developers

The Thing game is complete garbage because it takes an idea that could have some tension, the player being unsure if any of his AI companions are infected or not and just shits all over it. An NPC can test negative for infection but then 10 seconds later you hit a story flag and all of a sudden they're monstering out.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Sentinel Red posted:

FAO any masochists out there who thought A:I wasn't unsettling enough already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJSAeCsUfXU

gently caress that for a lark! The first time I played isolation way back on my PS3 I used headphones and screamed so loud my neighbours came and did a welfare check on me I think this version would kill me.

I’d still give the game a go in VR if there was some way to get it on PSVR

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gaz2k21 posted:

gently caress that for a lark! The first time I played isolation way back on my PS3 I used headphones and screamed so loud my neighbours came and did a welfare check on me I think this version would kill me.

I’d still give the game a go in VR if there was some way to get it on PSVR
Darkness in games doesn't really work because just reducing the gamma doesn't make your eyes react properly, so it doesn't feel so much "dark" as it just feels occluded. The original L4D did a lot of its darkness by mildly reducing the gamma but also changing the colour palette to match nightvision, which felt more like actual darkness.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ehhh, I'm all for modding Isolation in ways to increase the tension but honestly that mod looks like it makes things too dark to actually be enjoyable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

muscles like this! posted:

The Thing game is complete garbage because it takes an idea that could have some tension, the player being unsure if any of his AI companions are infected or not and just shits all over it. An NPC can test negative for infection but then 10 seconds later you hit a story flag and all of a sudden they're monstering out.

Agreed. I enjoyed most of it despite myself but that part you describe nearly ruined it. I mean, the testing kits are pick ups but, yeah, what was the point of even having them if the freakouts are all scripted anyway? Someone should take another shot at making that game the correct way.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was thinking about Aliens again so I checked out AvPGalaxy, only to learn we're getting another Predator movie.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'll watch it.

Pretty interesting that it'll be in the past among Native American culture. I wonder how that will pan out.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'll watch it.

Pretty interesting that it'll be in the past among Native American culture. I wonder how that will pan out.

About as well as “weaponised autism” panned out, probably.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I'll watch it.

Akoocheemoya.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Maybe it will be like Apocalyptco, but with Predators.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m replaying Alien Isolation, because it rules and you should all replay it too, and I thought I’d have a peek at the thread it had back in the day to see what the general discussion around it was like.

It is amazing just how badly Colonial Marines poisoned the well. It’s also quite notable how the thread moves from making GBS threads all over it, to cynicism, then to cautious optimism when the positive reviews start appearing, a slight hiccup as people go through medical, and then finally gushing praise. Almost like a bizarro world version of the stages of grief.

gently caress you Randy Pitchford.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vagabundo posted:

About as well as “weaponised autism” panned out, probably.

Yeah. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Maybe it will be like Apocalyptco, but with Predators.

Not gonna lie, that would be amazing. Subtitles and short shots and everything. Make it a period prestige piece.