Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/11/11/placer-county-wont-enforce-mandate-red-tier/

quote:

PLACER COUNTY (CBS13) — A spike in COVID-19 cases sent counties tumbling backward through the tier system Tuesday.

As businesses scramble to adjust, Placer County leaders are promising to back off, telling business owners to do whatever it takes to stay afloat.

“We as a county are not enforcing any of the governor’s mandates. Pure and simple,” Uhler said. ”Do what you need to do to stay in business. Run your businesses. If your customers want to come in, accommodate them.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I don't think they're going to be the last to just say gently caress it unfortunately. We've spent the last 8-9 months pinballing back and forth between:

1. Counties shut down to reduce cases
2. Case count goes down, businesses agitate to reopen
3. Counties reopen, cases start to spike a few weeks later
4. Go to Step 1

Santa Clara allowed limited indoor dining to resume about a month ago and lo and behold the last two weeks we've seen cases surging back up. Turns out nobody has the resources to provide the welfare required to keep a shutdown going long enough to not just flatten the curve, but actually contain the virus within a local population. We'd also need much more rigorous testing, contact tracing, and limits on movement between counties. Without that or a vaccine all we can do is oscillate back and forth to try and mitigate damage or say gently caress it and throw 'er open.

Maybe the Biden admin will throw a bunch of Federal funding and health resources our way and change the calculus come January, although assuming the Dems don't win both Georgia seats I'm not sure to what extent he's able to help without Congress.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's going to be a loving brutal winter, lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

I don't think they're going to be the last to just say gently caress it unfortunately. We've spent the last 8-9 months pinballing back and forth between:

1. Counties shut down to reduce cases
2. Case count goes down, businesses agitate to reopen
3. Counties reopen, cases start to spike a few weeks later
4. Go to Step 1

Santa Clara allowed limited indoor dining to resume about a month ago and lo and behold the last two weeks we've seen cases surging back up. Turns out nobody has the resources to provide the welfare required to keep a shutdown going long enough to not just flatten the curve, but actually contain the virus within a local population. We'd also need much more rigorous testing, contact tracing, and limits on movement between counties. Without that or a vaccine all we can do is oscillate back and forth to try and mitigate damage or say gently caress it and throw 'er open.

Maybe the Biden admin will throw a bunch of Federal funding and health resources our way and change the calculus come January, although assuming the Dems don't win both Georgia seats I'm not sure to what extent he's able to help without Congress.

Like, I get it. My family has been stuck at home for 8 months. My kids' mental health state is an absolute train wreck because of all this and I have one kid with legit depression. She quit figure skating (she's been doing it for a decade now), as a result and has gained 30lbs since March and who is now actively in therapy and doesn't want to do anything but sit in her room on her phone. I used to think, "oh I'm fine, but I need to keep my kids' mental health up," but my wife and I are starting to get cabin fever. I'm really loving sick of getting up, taking my toddlers to daycare, sitting at my home desk while facilitating distance learning for my teenagers and telling them no you can't go hang out with your friends, sitting at my home desk some more, picking the toddlers up from daycare, eating dinner, playing with them, and going to bed. And on the weekends, sit at home doing nothing. Repeat for 8 months. I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day.

It's really loving tiring at this point. We've been good soldiers for 8 months, but man do I want Trump/Putin/Pfizer's vaccine ASAP. 2 of my teenagers have been back at middle school (in Placer) for a couple weeks now, and it will be absolutely devastating to them if in-person schooling is taken away from them. My third, who has heaps of ADHD, social and anxiety issues already and NEEDS in-person schooling, goes back to high school in January. Him sitting in front of his Chromebook for 7 hours, then having no motivation to do anything but sit there and watch Youtube afterwards for hours on end. It will also be devastating if he doesn't get to go back. He's on his school's Cross Country team, and thankfully has started practicing again (pretty easy to socially distance) so at least he has something to do.

One kid has been going to soccer practice for a month-ish now, and the coach is lowkey skirting the rules about no-contact. No games are allowed, but the coach said that if the team and another just "happens to show up at the same place and time," they can "kick the ball around." I feel like an irresponsible rear end in a top hat for being a part of it and letting my kid go, but gently caress sake, staying in a cave for 8 months is wrecking my kids drive to do anything but eat junk and sit in front of the TV all day, and I honestly can't blame them. Since no tournaments are allowed in NorCal, the coach proposed going to Vegas for a tournament. Thankfully most of the team told her to gently caress off.

One of the best things we've done recently is we bought backpacks we can drop our toddlers in and go hiking to get out and at least do something. They've had a blast with that at least, even if it's like pulling teeth to get the older kids to go with us.

I know we can't just throw er all open, but the alternating between semi-open and LOCKDOWN is really annoying. I don't have a good, balanced solution.

I'm going to be thankful when this poo poo is over. Having (a shitload of) kids during this time is loving trying.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 11, 2020

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Like, I get it. My family has been stuck at home for 8 months. My kids' mental health state is an absolute train wreck because of all this and I have one kid with legit depression. She quit figure skating (she's been doing it for a decade now), as a result and has gained 30lbs since March and who is now actively in therapy and doesn't want to do anything but sit in her room on her phone. I used to think, "oh I'm fine, but I need to keep my kids' mental health up," but my wife and I are starting to get cabin fever. I'm really loving sick of getting up, taking my toddlers to daycare, sitting at my home desk while facilitating distance learning for my teenagers and telling them no you can't go hang out with your friends, sitting at my home desk some more, picking the toddlers up from daycare, eating dinner, playing with them, and going to bed. And on the weekends, sit at home doing nothing. Repeat for 8 months. I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day.

It's really loving tiring at this point. We've been good soldiers for 8 months, but man do I want Trump/Putin/Pfizer's vaccine ASAP. 2 of my teenagers have been back at middle school (in Placer) for a couple weeks now, and it will be absolutely devastating to them if in-person schooling is taken away from them. My third, who has heaps of ADHD, social and anxiety issues already and NEEDS in-person schooling, goes back to high school in January. Him sitting in front of his Chromebook for 7 hours, then having no motivation to do anything but sit there and watch Youtube afterwards for hours on end. It will also be devastating if he doesn't get to go back. He's on his school's Cross Country team, and thankfully has started practicing again (pretty easy to socially distance) so at least he has something to do.

One kid has been going to soccer practice for a month-ish now, and the coach is lowkey skirting the rules about no-contact. No games are allowed, but the coach said that if the team and another just "happens to show up at the same place and time," they can "kick the ball around." I feel like an irresponsible rear end in a top hat for being a part of it and letting my kid go, but gently caress sake, staying in a cave for 8 months is wrecking my kids drive to do anything but eat junk and sit in front of the TV all day, and I honestly can't blame them. Since no tournaments are allowed in NorCal, the coach proposed going to Vegas for a tournament. Thankfully most of the team told her to gently caress off.

One of the best things we've done recently is we bought backpacks we can drop our toddlers in and go hiking to get out and at least do something. They've had a blast with that at least, even if it's like pulling teeth to get the older kids to go with us.

I know we can't just throw er all open, but the alternating between semi-open and LOCKDOWN is really annoying. I don't have a good, balanced solution.

I'm going to be thankful when this poo poo is over. Having (a shitload of) kids during this time is loving trying.

gently caress. Same.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah don't get me wrong I wasn't going after you or really even Placer. More just remarking that the whole situation is hosed and I think other counties - even some costal "blue" counties - might follow Placer's lead in telling the State to gently caress off unless actual aid funding starts coming down.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kirk Uhler is a full on anti-masker, gently caress him.

I feel for parents and for school children, but this county's messaging is poo poo. Blame Uhler for the ping ponging, don't defend him. If this county took covid measures seriously we would be able to keep schools. Instead we get toxic messaging telling people to "do what they they want." Schools should be open, school should be priority, instead we get Uhler peddling anti-mask propaganda, gently caress him.
This poo poo doesn't have to be an either or, but Uhler has made sure it is.

EDIT: Imagine if instead he said "Hello everyone, placer county has now moved into the red tier. We understand the struggles small business are facing to stay afloat, and for that reason we have decided not to enforce any mandates, but we urge everyone to take precautions and proceed safely. Schools have recently opened, and it is important that we are able to maintain quality education for our children. Sacramento county has entered the purple tier, and I would like to keep us out of it. So again, while we are not enforcing anything, I am asking you all to wear masks, practice social distancing, and if you are going to be about in public, please practice and saftey and precaution. These measures will be important to ensure we open safely and keep our children in schools."

eSporks fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 11, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong I wasn't going after you or really even Placer. More just remarking that the whole situation is hosed and I think other counties - even some costal "blue" counties - might follow Placer's lead in telling the State to gently caress off unless actual aid funding starts coming down.

Oh yeah, I wasn’t disputing what you said, rather attempting to add a personal anecdote to it.

And yes, agree on all the Uhler stuff. Him and Kevin Kiley only give a poo poo about businesses. gently caress both of them.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoops wrong thread

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 12, 2020

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoops wrong thread again :sad:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 12, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1326903324822695942?s=20

If you read the article it names pretty much every prominent Democrat in the state as a possible contender, so not very useful information, but we do have some comments from Brown and Gavin:

quote:

Former Gov. Jerry Brown has speculated that Newsom would be more likely to pick a statewide officer for the seat, because that would allow him to name both the next senator and a powerful state officeholder's replacement as well.

quote:

The intense lobbying for his appointment to fill Harris’ Senate seat was "not something I’d wish on my worst enemy," he quipped on Tuesday.

"You create enemies in this process; you don't just make great friends — and it's a vexing decision," Newsom said. "It’s a challenging one. It’s also a presumptive one ... some people are voting for Kamala Harris, so is [the appointee] in her image?"

quote:

Newsom said he is being lobbied day and night by Democrats, and joked they're getting creative in attempting to get his attention.

"You know there's phone calls, there's emails," he said. "People just happen to show up certain places. They want to babysit your kids, they offer to get groceries, get coffee."

Maybe we get a Three's Company situation where Newsom promises the slot to a bunch of people in exchange for personal favors and he has to try and keep them all from finding out about the others, with zany results.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Doubleposting to call attention to this thing I'm mad about :

https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1326905287660474376?s=20

https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1326908560547209218?s=20

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Progressives took a shellacking in the propositions and state elections this year. As a blue supermajority state, where basically we have people who would be Republicans in any other state simply climbing the ranks in the Democratic party here, what are some options and strategies that a progressive in California could take to help move the needle for 2022 and 2024?

In my neck of the woods, in good news, DSA-endorsed candidate Jovanka Beckles seems to have won the election for AC Transit board. So that's good. :unsmith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Reminder that the cruelty is the point.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
When your slave is injured, likely permanently maimed and no longer able to do your slave work, you get rid of them otherwise they cost $ for no gain. And remember that this slave wasn't purchased at great cost, it was thrust upon the State it was not their choice. There's less incentive to squeeze value out of the acquisition.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

droll posted:

When your slave is injured, likely permanently maimed and no longer able to do your slave work, you get rid of them otherwise they cost $ for no gain. And remember that this slave wasn't purchased at great cost, it was thrust upon the State it was not their choice. There's less incentive to squeeze value out of the acquisition.

Such a wonderful system, yaas slay qween! :stare:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Progressives took a shellacking in the propositions and state elections this year. As a blue supermajority state, where basically we have people who would be Republicans in any other state simply climbing the ranks in the Democratic party here, what are some options and strategies that a progressive in California could take to help move the needle for 2022 and 2024?

In my neck of the woods, in good news, DSA-endorsed candidate Jovanka Beckles seems to have won the election for AC Transit board. So that's good. :unsmith:

Get involved with your local DSA, find out if people in your city are organized under that umbrella.

Start seeing if you or someone in that group are looking to run for local offices. Start small, work up to things like state Rep/Senate and beyond.

If you're thinking your group might be too small to mount their own campaign, try to identify the most left leaning candidates or possible candidates and start making happy noises at them, try to catch their ear. Pulling folks left isn't impossible, and you won't know it until you try.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

if you share a landlord or boss with other people, organize them

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh and if someone is running for local office and doing the, "I'm the most progressive progressive that ever leftied" and they are distinctly, obviously, not, organizing a campaign to point out their hypocrisy and explain what actually would be lefty is a good thing.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

There's a petition going around from the Asian Law Caucus asking Newsom to pardon Keola, 279 signatures so far:
https://twitter.com/anoop_alc/status/1326948136057622528?s=20

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

The Biden vs. Trump race at the top of the ticket kicked off enormous turnout... from all the wrong cohorts. Neither Biden nor Trump have the sort of base that would support Prop 15, for example. Trump's base is reflexively anti-tax conservatives and Biden's base is older, generally wealthier landowners. Hard to see anything good happening in that environment (which is a small part of why Biden was always a dogshit option beyond the immediate task of beating Trump).

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm starting to see some pretty intense lobbying for potential Senators, like Danny Trejo

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VikingofRock posted:

I'm starting to see some pretty intense lobbying for potential Senators, like Danny Trejo

His burritos are a little light on the meat for the price.

He doesn't get my vote :colbert:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

41 of 58 counties now in purple, including Placer. This is not optimal.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Likely candidates are himself, Karen Bass, Xavier Becera, or Katie Porter

Can't hear you over the hellworld options of London Breed or John Cox. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean feel free to laugh at me when I'm wrong, but I feel like Newsom won't go for a mayor because he wants somebody who he can then in turn appoint another ally of his to that person's seat once they move up to fill Kamala's position. It's going to be a state representative/senator or somebody like Becerra.

Porter, Lee, or Bass would all be good since they're all for the most part progressives who support keystone legislation in M4A and the GND, but I wonder how much Newsom is willing to potentially piss off the DNC by appointing a legit progressive to the Senate instead of somebody who more toes the party line. Becerra would presumably a much more palatable option to the party since he's a minor resistance celebrity thanks to all his lawsuits against Trump while also being an avid cop supporter.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

adoration for none posted:

There's a petition going around from the Asian Law Caucus asking Newsom to pardon Keola, 279 signatures so far:
https://twitter.com/anoop_alc/status/1326948136057622528?s=20

Biden can when taking office if he hasn't been deported yet let him go, will he and embarrass gavinbot though? time to find out in January !

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sydin posted:

I mean feel free to laugh at me when I'm wrong, but I feel like Newsom won't go for a mayor because he wants somebody who he can then in turn appoint another ally of his to that person's seat once they move up to fill Kamala's position. It's going to be a state representative/senator or somebody like Becerra.

Porter, Lee, or Bass would all be good since they're all for the most part progressives who support keystone legislation in M4A and the GND, but I wonder how much Newsom is willing to potentially piss off the DNC by appointing a legit progressive to the Senate instead of somebody who more toes the party line. Becerra would presumably a much more palatable option to the party since he's a minor resistance celebrity thanks to all his lawsuits against Trump while also being an avid cop supporter.

agreed, I think he'll appoint a state-level elected to senator then appoint a mayor to the now-vacant spot.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Gavbot wants to be president and he is not interested in making waves within the party. I have to think he goes with a "safe" choice for that reason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah that's my thinking as well; he's going to try to find somebody palatable to the party in a job he would then be able to appoint somebody into, thus gaining two political allies who owe him one. Becerra feels like he'd be a slam dunk except Gavbot is understandably under pressure to appoint a woman to replace Kamala.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sydin posted:

Becerra feels like he'd be a slam dunk except Gavbot is understandably under pressure to appoint a woman to replace Kamala.
Yea, I think there's an undercurrent that really wants a woman in there to maintain that Boxer-Harris/Feinstein claim to progressive fame. Especially a minority woman

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FilthyImp posted:

Yea, I think there's an undercurrent that really wants a woman in there to maintain that Boxer-Harris/Feinstein claim to progressive fame. Especially a minority woman

It’s gonna be london breed on a platform of imprisoning the homeless, isn’t it :negative:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fly Molo posted:

It’s gonna be london breed on a platform of imprisoning the homeless, isn’t it :negative:

it will 100% be london breed

and the monkey's paw finger curls

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/orinanne/status/1328774868733751296

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I don't get it. It's some kind of joke/reference?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That would be good news for the city at least

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sydin posted:

I actually agree with you. I'm just conditioned to think of the worst possible option. (Also, I don't think Newsom will appoint a legit progressive at all regardless of DNC's views. I don't get that feel from him, but I also don't know the state-level politics here well enough to know who else to guess on apart from worst-case obvious people.)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

She checks all the boxes. Woman. Minority. Absolutely up for sale to the highest bidder. Bingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mobile exposure alerts are finally live in California. Probably a good idea to turn them on. Works with both iOS and Android.