Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Optimus Subprime posted:

yeah this is nothing new it’s just that the gap between the political culture and material deprivation is greater than it was 30 to 40 years ago

also, around 60% of adults in the USA have some amount of college education and 34% have a 4 year degree currently, so these are large and diverse groups of people compared to the 70s

my analysis is that education, especially a 4 year degree or graduate education, is correlated with whatever the core group of the dem party is now, but isn’t the causative trait since if that were the case they’d probably win way more than they currently do

Yeah, what college meant in the 70s isn't really the same as what it means now- as it is, it's currently considered a prerequisite(though most certainly not a guarantee) of a stable, US middle-class life- enrollment numbers are huge these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, what college meant in the 70s isn't really the same as what it means now- as it is, it's currently considered a prerequisite(though most certainly not a guarantee) of a stable, US middle-class life- enrollment numbers are huge these days.
Enrollment has actually been falling and its a problem for universities, and well COVID ofc is even bigger but enrollment peaked around 2006~2011 which is when most millennials hitting 18+. Having also been involved during the peak was crazy.

But yes certainly college in the 70s isnt the same as college now, although it wasn't too far off either. The role of college as a pre-req was a little more cemented by 1980 and is pretty close to comparable today.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 11:32 on Nov 11, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Xaris posted:

Enrollment has actually been falling and its a problem for universities, and well COVID ofc is even bigger but enrollment peaked around 2006~2011 which is when most millennials were coming of age

Interesting! I suppose COVID and the delayed effect of the recession is doing a number on it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Those are pre-covid numbers but also the picture is a little more bleak in a lot of fallign enrollment has been taken up by pushing for more international student acceptance, which hve been majorly on the rise. in part because state schools can charge $$$$$$$$$ for them, but also helps plug up falling enrollment

Probably one of the largest reason is demographic changes in there was a tapering of births after ~1991 so of course it would peak out around ~2010

as an aside, i'm surprised it peaked so hard in 2008. guess obama got everyone horned up and preggo

thats just getting off on a well, actually tangent. colleges are definitely liberal indoctrination centers, albeit, not in the way fox news uses, but more in that it produces the consumers of the likes of robin diangelo

Xaris has issued a correction as of 11:42 on Nov 11, 2020

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Finicums Wake posted:

it's pretty cool, though maybe a bit overhyped, both in terms of how good it actually is and how formally experimental it is. overall, the book has a lot of fat on it (e.g. much of the johnny truant parts or w/e his name is), and should have been edited down a bit. but, because it was one of the first books that made me fall in love with literature back in highschool, i still have a bit of a soft spot for it, and reread it every few years

ah yeah i remember the johnny truant parts now...i ended up skipping a lot of them cos the prose was so drat purple

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Panzeh posted:

Interesting! I suppose COVID and the delayed effect of the recession is doing a number on it.

I don't have any actual numbers but my mom is a college professor and from what she's told me from her own college and friends at other colleges, things are hosed. Enrollment hasn't gone down, it has plummeted.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I don't have any actual numbers but my mom is a college professor and from what she's told me from her own college and friends at other colleges, things are hosed. Enrollment hasn't gone down, it has plummeted.

ours was really down, and then we canceled virtual classes and it actually rose compared to pre-plague years

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TommSciortino/status/1326524578139570179

I saw this guy being incredibly not-mad at Matty B and just had to share

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

gh0stpinballa posted:

ah yeah i remember the johnny truant parts now...i ended up skipping a lot of them cos the prose was so drat purple
Yeah my favorite sections were largely the Navidson Record pulpy horror parts.

Gripweed posted:

My spouse is public school employee. Pretty much all the recently graduated students she knows that were planning on going to college are taking a gap year. None of them wanted to go into debt just to potentially be stuck with online classes when their check to the university clears.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wish i had spent my max student loan dispursement cycling around europe

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

huh weird wonder if this is related

almost as if tuition is intentionally being massively raised to maintain college education as a class signifier

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
college is useless. do like me, drop out and devote your time to mastering the art of swordsmanship.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'd be curious to know what is counted as tuition in that stat. because the college i went to and work at prices itself on having not raised tuition in 15 years, which is true. instead they have jacked up the prices of everything else to compensate, from dorms to meal plans to books and parking, tech/bus fees etc. and then they require you to live on campus and have meal plans for the first 2 years so lol

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

college is useless. do like me, drop out and devote your time to mastering the art of swordsmanship.

I have two katanas that I duel wield. When the coup happens and the fighting starts, I will defend my people

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Serf posted:

i'd be curious to know what is counted as tuition in that stat. because the college i went to and work at prices itself on having not raised tuition in 15 years, which is true. instead they have jacked up the prices of everything else to compensate, from dorms to meal plans to books and parking, tech/bus fees etc. and then they require you to live on campus and have meal plans for the first 2 years so lol

Yeah I didn't have to pay for any classes due to scholarships, but I'm still in debt thanks to everything else

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
tuition at my state tech school was reasonable for in-state residents but hoo boy, that everything else though. those meal plans, books, room + board, "activity fees", etc. are what really hurts and we were mandated to stay the first two years in the dorms unless you joined a frat, so they at least bled you for that long. longer if you couldn't find a cheap house or apartment to split

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The thing about the US educational system is that even though the US has one of the highest rates of college completion on earth, it still has one of the highest college premiums on earth. Because, as said above, college is a class marker in the US. Prestigious colleges even more so.

College enrollment by income quartile in the US:

Selectivity of college enrolled:

I am a broken record about the prestige thing, but it's because it is a very, very glaring problem in the existing punditry about free college. Pundits love talking about how in the US you have more low income students enrolled in college than European and Latin American countries with free or low cost tuition. But that is because they keep grouping up community college students in the US with the rest to talk about that. So they will talk about how in Norway most poor kids don't attend college, but that is mostly because in most data trade schools in europe get classified as trade schools, while community colleges in the US get classified as colleges.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Tarence and Tom were on the patreon episode of Citations Needed this week to talk about Hillbilly Elegy. :yayclod:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

i wish i had spent my max student loan dispursement cycling around europe

I wish I ever got to see any money from my student loans, as I never got them for anything other than tuition

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

ah, fine teacher, but let me show you this kata

I call it, "The Bullet That Cuts The Katana"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lol "weird hyper-educated post-modern Protestantism" is a pretty good descriptor

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i listen to a podcast called the cspam podcast thread, i use tts software to give every poster itt an unique voice and listen to it live as people post.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

T-man posted:

i listen to a podcast called the cspam podcast thread, i use tts software to give every poster itt an unique voice and listen to it live as people post.

what's my voice sound like? this is vital to my self esteem so please be dishonest

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

sqeaky voiced idiot, same as the others

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

well gently caress you and ufck ur stupid babby brained loving podcast thread podcast it's a loving dumb dumb idiot way of experiencing the podcast thread

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

T-man posted:

[_<1,13>]we're[_<1,18>]whalers[_<1,17>]on[_<1,18>]the[_<1,20>]moon[_<400,13>]we[_<1,20>]carry[_<1,18>]a[_<1,20>]har[_<1,22>]poon

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

[_<1,13>]we're[_<1,18>]whalers[_<1,17>]on[_<1,18>]the[_<1,20>]moon[_<400,13>]we[_<1,20>]carry[_<1,18>]a[_<1,20>]har[_<1,22>]poon

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1323947223885991936?s=19
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1323948228212072448
Virgil Texas of the Chapo Trap House Podcast's beliefs have been disproven so I shall now become a cop.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1323947223885991936?s=19
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1323948228212072448
Virgil Texas of the Chapo Trap House Podcast's beliefs have been disproven so I shall now become a cop.

lmao so this is who leslie lee 3 was talking about

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1066089326105243648?s=20
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1075652353871753216?s=20

Assad curse strikes again.

Instead of dying or losing an election, I guess for a podcaster it means adopting the Syrian government's talking points.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

T-man posted:

aeiou aeiou aeiou aeiou aeiou aeiou aeiou john madden

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Who is this weirdo?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

Who is this weirdo?

white trans convert to Islam that converted twitter shitposting into a podcasting grift and has now decided to go full ecofascist

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

white trans convert to Islam that converted twitter shitposting into a podcasting grift and has now decided to go full ecofascist

Adult convert?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Taintrunner posted:

lmfao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Why are people who convert as an adult always so loving weird?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Why are people who convert as an adult always so loving weird?

BABY FINLAND lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
She's funny on the podcasts, but apparently really dumb on twitter.

A common affliction for podcasters.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

Adult convert?

yes.

look, I’m sure some or probably even most white adult converts to Islam are totally fine or whatever, but good lord does it sure produce some lunatics that find their way into the spotlight

also she seemed to treat being a Muslim woman as a bit of a fetish, like non-white Muslim women getting pissed at her for making a mockery of their faith and traditions for the sole purpose of chasing orgasm

just pure brainworms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

yes.

look, I’m sure some or probably even most white adult converts to Islam are totally fine or whatever, but good lord does it sure produce some lunatics that find their way into the spotlight

also she seemed to treat being a Muslim woman as a bit of a fetish, like non-white Muslim women getting pissed at her for making a mockery of their faith and traditions for the sole purpose of chasing orgasm

just pure brainworms

Lmao

Adult converts to any religion should not be trusted.