Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Lester Shy posted:

Hey thanks for playing my level! It's wild seeing somebody else play it. I totally meant to have that pipe lead somewhere when I first started and then 100% forgot about it.

Anybody have recommendations for easy-ish "traditional" Super Worlds to chill out with? I've been trying to play Endless mode, but I think the MM community and I have different ideas about what normal difficulty means, and easy Endless mode is full of "just hold right" and joke levels.

My Super World is quite easy, although it's only 9 stages long. Should give you a fun 20-30 minutes, though!

QM6-G34-CXF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody have recommendations for easy-ish "traditional" Super Worlds to chill out with? I've been trying to play Endless mode, but I think the MM community and I have different ideas about what normal difficulty means, and easy Endless mode is full of "just hold right" and joke levels.

I will endlessly advertise my own super world: Super Petrichor World (31J-H67-64G). It's only five levels, but I like them.

Here are two longer worlds from people in this thread. These both get difficult in the later worlds, but I liked them a lot:

- Super Mario Voyage (by DarkLich): 4G4-S5H-LRF
- ThisIsACoolGuy's world: LFG-54B-35G

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

Hey thanks for playing my level! It's wild seeing somebody else play it. I totally meant to have that pipe lead somewhere when I first started and then 100% forgot about it.

as above, i shan't let an opportunity to get someone to play my levels pass me by!

i worked pretty hard on making sure these felt like "normal" mario levels so hopefully they satisfy

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I decided to screenshot my levels and stitch them together into big maps. (I spent a lot of time making the levels, so I figured I should preserve them somehow.) Anyway, here's part of my level "Trouble on Highfrost Mountain".

It's a very, very tall mountain.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Completely useless fact: triple jumping in NSMB will completely stop your momentum upon landing (i.e. when not holding left or right). Not a particularly useful mechanic, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DorianGravy posted:

I decided to screenshot my levels and stitch them together into big maps. (I spent a lot of time making the levels, so I figured I should preserve them somehow.) Anyway, here's part of my level "Trouble on Highfrost Mountain".

It's a very, very tall mountain.

This is cool, reminds me of the huge level layouts that they would print in strategy guides or magazines.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hey everyone! Sorry about missing yesterday, ended up having a much longer day on a mountain than expected! I plan on streaming tonight at 5 PM PDT, and the idea was to showcase 1-1 levels and those inspired by that (y'know, from the original SMB). If you got any, you should totally throw them my way so I can show them off! I appreciate it in advance.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Speaking of, going live with the finest of 1-1 levels (and other stuff) here: https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OneMoreTime posted:

Speaking of, going live with the finest of 1-1 levels (and other stuff) here: https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

I wasn't able to check it out, and don't know when I will, but I hope you post a completed list of levels... 1-1 interpretations are my favourite, the weirder the better. Not that interested in straight recreations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
This was my first attempt at a Metroidvania-style level, I'd love your thoughts:

Maze of the Mad Mole
74L-RH8-0NG

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Darth Nat posted:

This was my first attempt at a Metroidvania-style level, I'd love your thoughts:

Maze of the Mad Mole
74L-RH8-0NG

Really nice execution on this. A good maze but then you've got a really nice action set piece when you're chasing after the spiked balls to see how far it goes and how much it opens up. I like how the boss encounter feels like a mini-metroidvania itself with the different switches and stuff. Keep making Metroidvanias, I liked it!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Back to playing more Mario recently. I made a short and easy squirrel suit stage.

Acorn Athletics - R6K-2SN-JGG

Now it's time to catch up on the last few pages of levels. Glad to see you guys are still making stuff.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wasn't able to check it out, and don't know when I will, but I hope you post a completed list of levels... 1-1 interpretations are my favourite, the weirder the better. Not that interested in straight recreations.

I'm going to find some time this weekend to scrub through the VOD and grab those level codes, sadly I didn't save the notepad file that contained them.

Here's the level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Maze of the Mad Mole
By: Darth Nat 74L-RH8-0NG

2. Arcon Athletics
By: Norton R6K-2SN-JGG

3. Crazy Jumps and Don't follow the arrows 6
By: H3BGDO 1MY-SPQ-0FG

4. In the Deep Space
By: Whatiny VJ7-KYM-NWF

5. Undertale - Muffet Boss Fight
By: RedNinja RLY-P8Q-C0G

6. Athletic Desert
By: Andresjm 7QH-MX0-2NG

7. Beginner's Tundra
By:; Somebody on Reddit CBB-JDH-MLF

8. The Flintstones
By: Immortal X 3D5-JXG-GYG

9. Goombud Oasis
By: Garblefink MLB-T5R-LPG

10. ButtsFartsPHD's level
HSJ-NXX-Y5G

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're live! Right now!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT!

1. Pom Pom's Creeper Climb Castle
By: Pixel-Forest RL7-J19-1SG

2. Spooky Spiky Manor
By: Dat1248 K71-RYV-KTF

3. Forest of Deception 9: Freaky Foliage
By: SurefireWolf 97H-FMP-KVF

4. Fairly Precise Platforming Level
By: BLAAAZZZE MV8-VK6-5PF

5. Skyline Garden
By: Andresjm T5D-6Y0-LMF

6. Inferno Castle
NRDGamer23's brother 5R2-JTT-HXG

7. Forest Dash
By: MichiganBob HX8-5KH-V6G

8. Thwompers Abound
By: GustheBear 97Y-X7R-SLF

9. Cantthink-of-usernMe's level
1WK-DCV-26G

10. How fun! A 20 second Speedrun!
By: The borgian 76P-2QK-CDG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're going live! https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I have decided to expand my horizons a little and create a few levels that are less "Mario" levels and more "Mario Maker" levels. I finished my first auto-scroller level AND dark level:

Title: Race Your Fears
Description: If Tears are for Fears, this level may make you cry.
Course ID: YK1-JQ6-MQG

I am now working on a Kaizo-lite level, which will be a series of challenge rooms. The first room I created is a series of bounces off of koopa troopas stacked on top of goombas (which are stacked on munchers). I expect the player to bounce on the koopa troopa, then bounce on the goomba while holding the run button to pick up the shell. However, I seem to be running into an annoying amount of inconsistency with this: sometimes, Mario simply will not grab the shell and just bounce off the goomba instead.

I'm using the SMB3 tileset. Is this is a hitbox issue? Should I use something else beneath the koopa troopa?

Edit: It seems moles work better for this purpose.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 20, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

First time I've released so many levels so close together.

My first kaizo-ish course! It's rather short, and probably ridiculously easy for most folks. The first part was fun to design! The second part, after the CP, is hard to do in handheld mode/with the joycons.

Water Way to Go
Course ID: YKF-V06-R7G
Description: Two short kaizo-style trick rooms, short, one cp.

Ironically, it has a higher clear rate than Race your Fears and it's only been up for about 15 minutes.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT

1. Race your Fears
By: Prowler YK1-JQ6-MQG

2. Scootier and Pootier
By: LilithFaire R42-T5F-JMG

3. Try not to Laugh (mario edition)
By: Jaco Jimmerson 1P6-49S-QLG

4. Yoshi's Sacrifice
By: Farfrompopular JHW-Q5W-LLG

5. Switchblock Stronghold
By: Dogarsx 5MS-LPM-QQF

6. Beach Sky Gardens
By: Alex71369 3N3-9NC-BXF

7. Spring Loaded
By: Grishno 3DM-CD3-RBG

8. The Curse of Crystal Cavern
By: Terethien M8R-VRD-JRF

9. Koopworks 3: Turtle Gear Solid
By: HollandBFlorida JH1-CGW-XRF

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're live!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Streaming some Mario Maker here! https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Prowler
May 24, 2004

What's that, you say? Clamoring for more levels in this dead thread? Say less.

Koopa Troopa Double Loopa
Course ID: PHQ-NFM-QDF

This is a course in the same vein as "Water Way to Go", except even less technical. Koopa bouncing! Making these short challenge stages has been fun, I'm tempted to put together an actual kaizo level soon.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
I'm trying to design a 'no key' check. I think this design works, but I may have missed some cheese. Anyone mind checking it for me?

RS6-8VR-0VG

Prowler
May 24, 2004

May Contain Nuts posted:

I'm trying to design a 'no key' check. I think this design works, but I may have missed some cheese. Anyone mind checking it for me?

RS6-8VR-0VG

I wasn't able to cheese it, and I cannot think of a way to do it without triggering the block or opening the door.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

My first level for the second half of my Super World - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzkoopa 76M-TG3-CXG.

The legends live on that a massive storm sent the Edmund Fitzkoopa careening into an iceberg that shattered the ship that was carrying the legendary treasure, Gord's Gold. Your mission is to search for the treasure in the big lake they call Gitche Gumee!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Here's tonight's level list for the stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

1. Koopa Troopa Double Loopa
By: Prowler PHQ-NFM-QDF

2. May Contain Nuts' level
RS6-8VR-0VG

3. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzkoopa
By: Perry Normal 76M-TG3-CXG

4. Here Comes the Sun
By: Jerrrrrm YKH-5PQ-MDG

5. Janktastic Jumptastrophe
By: Dazzling Bedroom PHB-XSY-2QG

6. Chain Chomp Chamber: Icey Steel
By: ST3V34 X9B-TW2-0GG

7. Happy Tree Friends Fun Run
By: Slightly132

8. Clown Car Factory
By: Paulo Zero 9RR-KW8-CKG

9. Pick Your Poison
By: Intenseburn128 WST-VSS-BFG

Likely will be a tenth level as well.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So, I have been going through and completing some of the half-created or half-baked levels that I started in between projects. I technically started on this level sometime before June to give my (then) eventual vanilla SMB3 world it's first airship/boss level.

Iggy's Cargo Airship Heist
"Iggy Iggy Iggy can't you see, sometimes your wand just vaporizes me."

MLV-KR8-20G

Prowler fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 7, 2020

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're live! Come hang out!

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Prowler posted:

Iggy's Cargo Airship Heist
"Iggy Iggy Iggy can't you see, sometimes your wand just vaporizes me."

MLV-KR8-20G

I liked it! Perfect for a first world boss level.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Perry Normal posted:

My first level for the second half of my Super World - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzkoopa 76M-TG3-CXG.

The legends live on that a massive storm sent the Edmund Fitzkoopa careening into an iceberg that shattered the ship that was carrying the legendary treasure, Gord's Gold. Your mission is to search for the treasure in the big lake they call Gitche Gumee!

Saw this during OMT's stream and played it myself! Nice level! I'm sure someone is going to easily steal that WR since I am destined to lose the frog suit at the last second.

Since I really enjoyed creating Koopa Troopa Double Loopa and Water Way to Go, I decided to make a less-forgiving, slightly longer kaizo-lite level using elements from the former:

The Invention of Crying
"If at first you don't succeed, cry, cry again. *** difficulty, 1cp."
935-9C3-2WF

My names are getting cornier. Anyway, despite the description, it is fairly difficult, if not short. My next level of this type will involve more platforming, more Rube Goldberg, and 2 CPs worth of sections.
Edit: the focus is wall bounces with koopa shells in SMB. The tricks require somewhat strict timing. 3/5 difficulty is probably underselling it, lol.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 12, 2020

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Thanks for playing, Prowler! I didn't really think too much about speedrunning while testing it, but I wonder how that last bit shakes out. I assume the last sprint through the cave to the goal would be a lot quicker without the frog suit, but you'd obviously get from the boat to the pipe a lot quicker with the suit. Which one gives you the bigger benefit?

By the way, today is the actually 45th (IIRC) anniversary of when the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. Wish I'd checked when I was making the level, I'd have dropped it today.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
I was messing around with SMW koops and made some stuff, I'll probably make more.

Koopa in the Shell HX8-WG6-PSF

Just one weird trick... I couldn't figure out how to do a hint room that wasn't a hallway of text, so if you want it right after the koopaling enters the shell, there are a few frames when the shell can be picked up and thrown with the koopaling inside. Then you can jump on the moving shell and pop the koopaling back out

Koopa in the Shell x10 76C-HCF-B3G[b/]

The trick from the previous level ten times in a row.

[B]Koopaling Eviction YFK-F4G-DPG

A series of semi precise jumps sending koopalings down a line of shells.

Enjoy!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Yet another in a series of levels I started months ago but never finished:

Ants, Plants, & Pokey Bees
Requisite desert level. You want ants? Cuz this is how you get ants!
MQJ-7C5-PSF

Nothing particularly special about this level other than it being my easiest, vanilla Super Mario 3D World level. I like the mode, but it feels hard to design for sometimes!

This more or less satisfies my recent urge to make kaizo levels and finish old vanilla levels! It's a shame this thread is mostly dead again.

May Contain Nuts posted:

I was messing around with SMW koops and made some stuff, I'll probably make more.

Koopa in the Shell HX8-WG6-PSF

Koopaling Eviction YFK-F4G-DPG

A series of semi precise jumps sending koopalings down a line of shells.

Enjoy!

The Koopa in the Shell one I couldn't figure out--I went in a slightly different direction thinking of more janky SMW scenarios. I'm not sure how to do a hint room either.

Koopaling Eviction was, uh, quite something. I feel partially responsible for this level. Sorry everyone.
(Seriously, it's a neat idea, but after one of the koopalings fell into the spike pit after a successful effort on the rest...I gave up for my own sanity.)

Prowler fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 12, 2020

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Prowler posted:

The Koopa in the Shell one I couldn't figure out--I went in a slightly different direction thinking of more janky SMW scenarios. I'm not sure how to do a hint room either.

In the first pit knock the koopa out of the shell. Then as it goes back in but before it rights itself you have to pick it up and jump and throw into the next pit.

Then use the shell to hit the switch and the koopaling will walk to the noteblock.

quote:

Koopaling Eviction was, uh, quite something. I feel partially responsible for this level. Sorry everyone.
(Seriously, it's a neat idea, but after one of the koopalings fell into the spike pit after a successful effort on the rest...I gave up for my own sanity.)

Yeah, it's a bit jank. I found a fix for that, but it requires a bunch of one-ways and they ruin the aesthetic.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

May Contain Nuts posted:

In the first pit knock the koopa out of the shell. Then as it goes back in but before it rights itself you have to pick it up and jump and throw into the next pit.

Then use the shell to hit the switch and the koopaling will walk to the noteblock.

Yeah, it's a bit jank. I found a fix for that, but it requires a bunch of one-ways and they ruin the aesthetic.

Oh, to be clear, I totally did that level after reading your original spoiler. I just meant I could not figure it out on my own (I died trying to pick up the shell the first time I tried).

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

1. The invention of Crying
By: Prowler 935-9C3-2WF

2. Koopa in the Shell
By: May Contain Nuts HX8-WG6-PSF

3. Caretaker of the Crypt
By: The Eternal Void 1T6-RM0-4RF

4. 9-3 Nightmare Dreadnought
By: Maroon_Carl 3G4-MJP-QDG

5. Look-Back Lair
B: W1derfire CLQ-0LP-X7G

6. Wall Jumping: Beginner Forest
By: Niolty MJ1-WL0-TJF

7. The Infested Piranha Mine
By: Potatoman W22-XGW-SWF

8. Rip and tear
By: Aciddentalprancingmt 362-8JV-9QF

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're live! Come hang out.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Fun stream tonight, OMT, as always. Here's one for your list next week. Think you might dig it based on the other games you stream - TRH-HP7-8YG, it's pretty well done but fairly challenging.

Here's my newest level - Squirrelman Returns - 1TD-06S-00H I have a sort of introductory squirrel suit level back in world 4 (Squirrelman Begins), this is the world 7 level where we come back to that concept with a bit more challenge. Not that much challenge though, OMT blew through it like it was nothing, LOL.

Prowler posted:

I'm sure someone is going to easily steal that WR since I am destined to lose the frog suit at the last second.

The Invention of Crying
"If at first you don't succeed, cry, cry again. *** difficulty, 1cp."
935-9C3-2WF

You're still holding on to the WR as of now.

I mentioned this in the chat on the stream, but Invention of Crying is super well made but totally kicked my rear end.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hello friends, I normally post over in Fight Island but I've been streaming for the last few days and absolutely having a blast with it. I hope I'm not encroaching on OMT's territory, but I would love to play your levels. Been a super tiny stream so far, so I'll probably start by playing through the last few levels mentioned here until enough folks show up for viewer levels.

Going live now
http://twitch.tv/kiarrrash

Edit: lol Well the Invention of Crying was absolutely kicking my rear end so I ended up playing viewer levels from the folks who showed up. Definitely not giving up on that one, but I just could not figure out that early jump with the two koopas on top of each other.

Penguin Patrol fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Penguin Patrol posted:

Hello friends, I normally post over in Fight Island but I've been streaming for the last few days and absolutely having a blast with it. I hope I'm not encroaching on OMT's territory, but I would love to play your levels. Been a super tiny stream so far, so I'll probably start by playing through the last few levels mentioned here until enough folks show up for viewer levels.

Going live now
http://twitch.tv/kiarrrash

Edit: lol Well the Invention of Crying was absolutely kicking my rear end so I ended up playing viewer levels from the folks who showed up. Definitely not giving up on that one, but I just could not figure out that early jump with the two koopas on top of each other.

Hiya!

Missed your stream yesterday, but caught the beginning of the VOD.

Pay close attention to the yellow p-block indicators: that koopa stack is a single-bounce only--you're expected to continue full speed ahead. You actually only ever bounce on a Koopa either once or three times, never twice in this level, now that I think about it... edit: nm, I'm dumb.

I was worried people would try to do that--but I wanted that paratroopa there for later shenanigans. OMT had similar issues, FWIW. I'll keep that in mind for later levels. Thanks for playing!

Prowler fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 19, 2020