Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
petitioning to change the thread title to: "M1 A1. Thousand miles an hour."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

this is good

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Very clever.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I feel like I have been pulled into the field. I’m excited to get a new laptop and I want to see what it will do. But I think that I’m gonna cancel the order and wait for the reviews.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ptier posted:

I feel like I have been pulled into the field. I’m excited to get a new laptop and I want to see what it will do. But I think that I’m gonna cancel the order and wait for the reviews.

oh no, now you have angered the ghost of Stebe.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah I second that second

But I dunno if there are any mods who give a poo poo about this thread

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh no, now you have angered the ghost of Stebe.

Steve could buy an entire factories output of new balance sneakers, I cannot.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mac Hardware - Here's to the brave ones who buy first gen

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

ptier posted:

coward

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My 16in has crap battery life but it’s never away from a desk especially now so I’m convincing myself that it was a good idea to buy one

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Fair. But it’s a Mac, so if it looks good I’ll just buy it again and it’ll ship normally.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

movax posted:

(re 20 PCIe lanes)
It's probably in there, just not available on the current package.

I suspect they're not there. The M1's specs and limitations suggest it's the same tapeout as the eventual iPad Pro version of A14. If I'm right, they took their iPad Pro feature list and added just enough I/O to support low end Macs. So they've got a chip which can be bonded out as M1 or A14X, without too much dark silicon either way.

Crunchy Black posted:

little.BIG is basically a NUMA environment already so as much as I WTF'd at this statement when I first read it, with unified mem per proc it makes way more sense than I'd like to admit.

NUMA is way different, both hardware and software. I personally doubt we'll see Apple implement NUMA. It's a hell of a lot of work to get it correct and fast on the silicon side, and they can just as easily put that effort into multiple tapeouts with more cores per chip for the products which need lots of cores.

Note that even on Intel, Apple noped out of NUMA a long time ago - the only NUMA Macs were the Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1. Beyond the 5,1 they decided that the number of cores you could pack into one chip had become enough to satisfy the Mac market.

Because so few Macs were NUMA, I don't think Apple ever got real serious about NUMA optimization in the kernel. For ideal NUMA performance, you want to locate each thread on the CPU cluster where most of the memory it touches resides. Trying to coordinate things between memory allocation and the scheduler is tough. big.LITTLE is just scheduler changes.

FCKGW posted:

I think it's going to be worth waiting for reviews before shelling out for extra memory. It's a completely different architecture from the previous Macbooks so comparing 8gb of ram on Intel vs 8gb integrated ram on the actual Apple Silicon SOC doesn't really make sense.

The iPad Pro can outperform the i9 Macbook Pro on some tasks and it does it all with only 6gb of ram. The iPhone Pro also has 6gb and runs circles around comparable android handsets with 12gb ram. We just don't know what the performance will be like yet.

On the one hand, M1 Macs won't have Intel integrated video carving out an unswappable chunk of system memory to call its own. (On my 16GB late-2013 rMBP, it grabs 1.5 GB. Probably less than that on 8GB Intel models.) Less memory overhead for the integrated video is a benefit of unified memory architecture.

On the other, ARM64 is a less dense instruction set encoding than AMD64, and there will be more memory overhead for Rosetta processes.

I suspect it's a net win on the low end 8GB and 16GB Mac configs which are getting M1, but we'll see.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ptier posted:

Steve could buy an entire factories output of new balance sneakers, I cannot.

all that says to me is that you've angered a very powerful ghost

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
My new 16" MBP showed up today, and I've been enjoying using it so far, but I noticed that the serial number shows up as "eligible to purchase AppleCare" when I check it. I included AppleCare+ in my order, so I'd expect to show as already active. Does it sometimes take a bit to show up on a serial number?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

My new 16" MBP showed up today, and I've been enjoying using it so far, but I noticed that the serial number shows up as "eligible to purchase AppleCare" when I check it. I included AppleCare+ in my order, so I'd expect to show as already active. Does it sometimes take a bit to show up on a serial number?

You have to activate it, there should be a code in the package.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ok Comboomer posted:

You have to activate it, there should be a code in the package.

Hmmm. They didn't send me any documents or e-mails with registration info or anything. I just have this in my order and in my order e-mails.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Y'all have maybe seen but Geekbench for the new base MacBook Air is 1687 (single-core) 7433 (multi) which is significantly faster than my 2019 16" MBP. The single-core performance is better than any other available Mac. On a $999 computer! Life is truly crazy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Intel being revealed to have peaked in the mid 2000s or whatever is a pretty funny thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

Hmmm. They didn't send me any documents or e-mails with registration info or anything. I just have this in my order and in my order e-mails.

Lol, guess that changed in the years since I last remember doing it

Maybe you gotta sign into your Apple ID? You probably did that already.

I haven’t got a clue

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ok Comboomer posted:

Lol, guess that changed in the years since I last remember doing it

Maybe you gotta sign into your Apple ID? You probably did that already.

I haven’t got a clue

I just called them. Sounds like something got hosed up in my order, since they need to get a ticket escalated to some AppleCare-specific team to get it sorted out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

I just called them. Sounds like something got hosed up in my order, since they need to get a ticket escalated to some AppleCare-specific team to get it sorted out.

https://youtu.be/rjA5A86V6SY

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

grahm posted:

Y'all have maybe seen but Geekbench for the new base MacBook Air is 1687 (single-core) 7433 (multi) which is significantly faster than my 2019 16" MBP. The single-core performance is better than any other available Mac. On a $999 computer! Life is truly crazy.

if this ends up being legit and reflecting real-world performance then lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Spime Wrangler posted:

If that does pan out for non-benchmark stuff, I guess I'll be returning this 16" to wait for the ARM version and getting a cheap netbook or something for my Windows needs.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Kreeblah posted:

If that does pan out for non-benchmark stuff, I guess I'll be returning this 16" to wait for the ARM version and getting a cheap netbook or something for my Windows needs.

Mac Hardware - Oh god ARM is here, now I feel bad!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Crunchy Black posted:

The fact that they don't have "eGPU 'support'" is absolutely BONKERS. It has to have a PCIe root complex for Thunderbolt, so....why!? This seems like something that should be hackable-on via kext but is being phased out because, ofc, kexts are on the way out and it makes Hackintoshes easier.

it's not 'supported' because none of the AMD driver kexts were compiled for arm64e as of the Big Sur GM. so theres nothing that precludes it from working in the future, at least

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

FCKGW posted:

I think it's going to be worth waiting for reviews before shelling out for extra memory. It's a completely different architecture from the previous Macbooks so comparing 8gb of ram on Intel vs 8gb integrated ram on the actual Apple Silicon SOC doesn't really make sense.

The iPad Pro can outperform the i9 Macbook Pro on some tasks and it does it all with only 6gb of ram. The iPhone Pro also has 6gb and runs circles around comparable android handsets with 12gb ram. We just don't know what the performance will be like yet.

the ipad and iphone can run with low amounts of system memory because they aggressively background anything that isn't the foreground app. even safari ejects idle tabs from memory and has to reload them pretty frequently. the ram usage isn't indicative of more efficient architecture, just an operating system that strictly restricts any kind of concurrency

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I have 500 tabs open in safari on my iPhone 6S. And this isn’t remotely the first time I’ve hit that limit.

500 tabs. WTF is wrong with me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A tab on an iPhone is just a bookmark.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

jokes posted:

Intel being revealed to have peaked in the mid 2000s or whatever is a pretty funny thing.

How much of this is actual architectural advantages, and how much of it is using a 5nm process compared to a very shaky 10nm one (for the intel Macbooks)?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

Yeah that’s pretty much why I have 500. Lots of bookmarks tho too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

American McGay posted:

As it should be.

Maybe all you weirdos with 100s of tabs will finally see the light.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Mister Facetious posted:

How much of this is actual architectural advantages, and how much of it is using a 5nm process compared to a very shaky 10nm one (for the intel Macbooks)?

tsmc's 5nm has an edge over intel's 10nm but less than is implied by the feature size. it's barely ahead in density. apple designed a core for monstrous integer operation perf and succeeded

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco put the Intel Air and entry MBP on heavy discount if anyone still wants to pick up an Intel Mac. Between $150 and $250 off Apple pricing, comes with 2 year warranty too.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pulcinella posted:

Mac Hardware - Oh god ARM is here, now I feel bad!

I mean, it was always my backup plan if I either couldn't get an MBP specced out like I wanted, or if the ARM Macs ended up being significantly better than the Intel ones. I just . . . didn't expect that second part to be true.

Besides, I don't need to get a new computer right now. My late 2013 15" MBP works just fine, so I can wait a couple years for the early adopters to do Apple's beta testing. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't regret missing the boat for the end of the Intel Macs.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jonathan Morrison just had a great video about the M1 and attacked Linus tech tips over it too. Worth a watch

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 12, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Jonathan Morrison just had a great video about the M1 and attacked Linus tech tips over it too. With a watch

yeah, Linus was like offended and angry that Apple would put “an iPad chip in a Mac and charge money for it”

it’s really weird and I was really liking LTT of late and now I hope he ends up eating those words in a week, for our sake as probable Apple Silicon buyers more than anything really.

Maybe this winds up pissing people off about all the things their iPads still can’t do and it lights a bigger fire under apples rear end to really push iPad os

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don’t know how you fix the iPad multitasking paradigm without breaking usability for casual tablet users. The current approach even with keyboard/trackpad is clumsier than a laptop once you have multiple apps running in the foreground and background.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
some huge need expertise here about chip design - who knows about software migration? how involved is it for a typical third party software developer to get running on an arm mac? like, properly.

is the ppc-intel transition the most comparable situation and if so what was that even like?! it was so long ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

some huge need expertise here about chip design - who knows about software migration? how involved is it for a typical third party software developer to get running on an arm mac? like, properly.

is the ppc-intel transition the most comparable situation and if so what was that even like?! it was so long ago

by all accounts this one’s been much easier so far.

Keynote had ppl saying “one day!” and “ten minutes!” but ofc that’s keynote.

plus there’s that whole “some x86 apps even run faster on emulation in Rosetta 2 than on intel” thing Craig was all smug about in the keynote

maybe some apps never get ported until Apple forces the developer’s hand

or maybe Rosetta 2 sticks around in Mac OS forever (unlikely) and some apps never get ported (some apps will never get ported, this is true)