Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

A bit out of date, that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Golbez posted:

I'm an American so I have no comprehension of how you can have a large country with dozens of functional languages, and the largest is only 60%. The largest city speaks a language, Wu, that according to Wikipedia is mutually unintelligible with Mandarin. And that's just one of several languages there with over 50 million speakers that doesn't mix with Mandarin.

How does that country function? I guess the same question applies to India, but at least in that case there's no language we boldly label "Indian," yet we happily say Mandarin is "Chinese". And in cases like Belgium, most people seem to know English so that works as a middle ground, but that's still just two languages to deal with in any official capacity.

Is there less commerce or travel between areas with different languages? Is there a Wu identity and a Yue identity, or has that all been subsumed into a single Chinese identity?

Multilingualism is the norm in most of the world. It's not that China is strange (though it is, for other reasons), it's that the US (and to a lesser extent Russia or any former empire) is really exceptional for having one language be so dominant over such a large territory. Many regions and countries in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australasia are still vibrantly multilingual, even across large swathes of territory.

Like biodiversity, language diversity is in decline globally, the US is just ahead of the curve, but for most of human history, if you wanted to trade, wage war or get around, speaking multiple languages has absolutely been the norm rather than the exception. Unlike biodiversity, language death is a bit more controversial. For instance, I am probably one of the last speakers of the dialect of the town I grew up in, but I don't really care - the only way for me to pass that dialect on would be if I had kids with a partner who also spoke it, but my hometown culture is nothing to write home about (my dialect has like 5 words for fighting but only 1 for loving). My native dialect has been absorbed by the standard language, more or less, to which it is also very closely related.

Things get trickier when people promote the idea that we'll end up speaking some sort of Globish all over the world in like 200 years, which is extremely unlikely since language death is tied to political and cultural power as well as mass violence, migration, genocide and colonisation, e.g. barring some cataclysmic event, I don't see Dutch, with a healthy ~22 million native speakers, get subsumed into English or German (the languages it is most closely related to).

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i can't believe america beat england

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Given that English itself is already developing in many independent vector to the point of mutual unintelligibility kinda shows that the idea of an universal language is a pipe dream, at least in any foreseeable future.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anyway, in 2010 Microsoft promised that by 2020 we would have a gizmo that would allow people to have a seamless conversation while the participants spoke different languages, and I'm steamed, steamed I tell you that it was a lie.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
On English varieties Singapore is a fun counterexample to the Mandarin thing I mentioned because the Singaporean government has more or less given up trying to stamp out Singlish and it's started seeping into official contexts like political campaigns. Singlish is really its own creole language and not just a dialect of English but it shows the possibilities for future English diversification.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought Sean's Bar (founded circa 900 and still in the same building) was the oldest in Ireland.

Maybe they don't serve enough food to qualify as a restaurant.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Zedhe Khoja posted:

A bit out of date, that

Yeah, the map as of the ceasefire shows a devastating defeat for Artsakh.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Frontlines at the time of the signing of the agreement with Azerbaijan's territorial gains during the war in red, the Lachin corridor under Russian peacekeepers in blue, and areas to be surrendered by Armenia to Azerbaijan hashed

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What's the deal with that Nakhchivan enclave? Can't Azerbaijan give Armenia little a territory just to sort that ugly thing out

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Well, Belgium is of course a rather divided country, with separate governments for each language area. Most multilingual countries don't have anything like this. Belgium has a federal government but I'm not sure what language they speak. I would guess French since in general it seems Dutch Belgians are better at French than vice versa, but most likely there's a lot of translation going on. Probably every document is translated into all three official languages, and perhaps during debates live translations are provided.

lol holy poo poo, even with how mild-mannered and self-loathing Flemings are, there would be rioting and blood in the streets if that were still the case. But in an informal way I guess you're right, whenever there are cross-community negotiations for a new federal government, they're usually conducted in French...for some strange reason.

I'm not 100% familiar with the legal basis, but I am pretty sure the federal administration simply operates according to the territorial principle, just like the regional ones do. That is, communication with Flemish and Walloon citizens will be in Dutch and French, respectively, people in Brussels get to choose, etc.

Physically, it is mostly concentrated in Brussels, and the departments/services located there are all bilingual (although, again for some strange reason, not all individuals are). Now, the astute observer will have noticed that I say bilingual and not trilingual. I assume the German minority communicates in German with the federal level, but I have no idea how it's organized in practice. Eupen-Malmédy is part of Wallonia, which as a region has French as its sole official language, but all of its municipalities are German-speaking with language facilities for francophones, or the reverse. The truth is that half the time everyone in Belgium forgets all about the German speakers, since they're such a tiny minority.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Negostrike posted:

What's the deal with that Nakhchivan enclave? Can't Azerbaijan give Armenia little a territory just to sort that ugly thing out

No, because it would cut Armenia off from Iran due to Ataturks Turkish Gate in the west, and also there's some major settlements there. But part of the agreement is building a highway connecting Nakchivan to Azerbaijan. I am curious about the southern parts of the oblast esp Hadrut province, as there's been alot of conflicting information about how much of it is getting taken. Which is pretty important as the province has more people than all of the hashed areas combined.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Frontlines at the time of the signing of the agreement with Azerbaijan's territorial gains during the war in red, the Lachin corridor under Russian peacekeepers in blue, and areas to be surrendered by Armenia to Azerbaijan hashed

So how come Azerbaijan's been more effective this time around? Massive Turkish support, probably, but I assume Armenia also has 'connections'.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

So how come Azerbaijan's been more effective this time around? Massive Turkish support, probably, but I assume Armenia also has 'connections'.

It's a petrostate with 3x the population and a greater gap in wealth. And a greater strategic position, enhanced by being a petrostate. Pipelines go to Baku, not Yerevan. Bros with Israel and Turkey, friendly with Russia and the US. There's no reason for anyone but Russia to support Armenia.

Someone in the Middle East thread also made an effort post about how Armenia did so well in the 90s and a big factor was armenians being much more present in the Red Army officer corps and in front-line enlisted roles, as well as actually making use of that expertise instead of kicking them out when the USSR fell.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 11, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That all makes sense.

Israel, too? Why not I suppose, Azerbaijan has never struck me as a very religious country, more similar to Albania in that regard.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Negostrike posted:

What's the deal with that Nakhchivan enclave?

In the Soviet Union internal border neatness didn't really matter, because it was all Soviet territory anyway. It's the same reason the borders of the 'stans are such a mess in the Pamir-Alay and Tien Shan mountains and the Ferghana valley.

The Ferghana valley is particularly ridiculous. The foothills, are Kyrgyz, the central valley is Uzbek, except for the mouth of the valley, which is Tajik

Demographically the Nakhchivan exclave makes sense, because it's continuous with other Azeri-majority areas. It should be noted that the country with the largest Azeri population isn't Azerbaijan (approx. 10 M), but Iran (approx. 15 M).

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 11, 2020

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Demographically the Nakhchivan exclave makes sense, because it's continuous with other Azeri-majority areas. It should be noted that the country with the largest Azeri population isn't Azerbaijan (approx. 10 M), but Iran (approx. 15 M).

What's the light blue in this map?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
places where Azeri is spoken but isn't dominant I imagine.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BELGICA DELENDA EST

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phlegmish posted:

lol holy poo poo, even with how mild-mannered and self-loathing Flemings are, there would be rioting and blood in the streets if that were still the case. But in an informal way I guess you're right, whenever there are cross-community negotiations for a new federal government, they're usually conducted in French...for some strange reason.

I'm not 100% familiar with the legal basis, but I am pretty sure the federal administration simply operates according to the territorial principle, just like the regional ones do. That is, communication with Flemish and Walloon citizens will be in Dutch and French, respectively, people in Brussels get to choose, etc.

Physically, it is mostly concentrated in Brussels, and the departments/services located there are all bilingual (although, again for some strange reason, not all individuals are). Now, the astute observer will have noticed that I say bilingual and not trilingual. I assume the German minority communicates in German with the federal level, but I have no idea how it's organized in practice. Eupen-Malmédy is part of Wallonia, which as a region has French as its sole official language, but all of its municipalities are German-speaking with language facilities for francophones, or the reverse. The truth is that half the time everyone in Belgium forgets all about the German speakers, since they're such a tiny minority.

Wet inzake het gebruik van talen in bestuurszaken

Federal entities as a rule of thumb must communicate in the language of the local authority or citizen with whom they communicate. Certain documents (applicable to all, or to entities in Brussels) must be bilingual.

Fun fact: there’s literally an office with 12 people (4 of whom are supporting staff) who have, officially, the task of translating all legal documents to German. Obviously they can’t keep up, so there’s a system whereby you can request certain documents if you need an authentic version in German and they will bump that document up the priority list just for you. If it’s a big text (eg the new company code) they do individual chapters on a case by case basis as requests come in.

Why yes it is an absolute mess, how did you figure that out, dear reader?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Connections with who, precisely? IIRC in the Middle-East and Caucasus geopolitical space, everyone seems to absolutely loathe the Armenians, maybe barring Georgians and Russians.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Connections with who, precisely? IIRC in the Middle-East and Caucasus geopolitical space, everyone seems to absolutely loathe the Armenians, maybe barring Georgians and Russians.

I think Iran made some noises in their favor, mostly because Turkey was on the other side, but then got major pushback from its own large Azeri minority.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Some of my best Emperors are Armenian.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Another country that's quite messy about language is Malaysia, since there isn't a clear geographic division between the Chinese, Malay and Indian groups, each of which have their own minority languages and are big enough they have to be accomodated (roughly 30, 55 and 10 percent respectively).

In practice a lot of younger people speak 3-4 languages which is pretty nuts. There's stil some monolingual people but there's not very many of them. I have an ex from there whose entire family were fluent in 4 languages and used 3 of them at the same time to chat (Hakka, Mandarin and English) online and stuff.

Singapore might be similar but as mentioned Mandarin is the main spoken language there (with english perhaps the more common written language).

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i can't believe america beat england

The idea of "going out to eat" is really a post french rev thing. Public houses were explicitly for travelers and meeting rather than "going to the bar." It is very modern to buy pre-made ready to eat meals, I would even say the modern idea of a "restaurant" wasn't a thing until the v late victorian period.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Uhm, thanks for the insights in the Belgium government, but what I'm missing is, doesn't the federal government have like... meetings? Or debates? Or something like that?

What language is used there?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Finally, a map where Eastern Europe is the good side.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Uhm, thanks for the insights in the Belgium government, but what I'm missing is, doesn't the federal government have like... meetings? Or debates? Or something like that?

What language is used there?

What do you mean when you say 'government'? The legislature? Or the executive side - the ministers and their cabinets, and the parts of the administration that they preside over?

Assuming it's the former, I am not a big parliamentary debate watcher, but from what I've seen/heard, everyone just uses their own language. It's been that way for a really long time.

There are obviously no rules regarding the relatively rare informal meetings and negotiations between politicians who speak different languages (although it's Belgium so you are forgiven for assuming there are). As I said earlier, it's often French, simply because many francophones don't speak a word of Dutch or English. But that's just a matter of convenience (which still sometimes raises controversy, as it did in 2010), it's certainly not a guideline, let alone something that has a legal basis. That's why I was so shocked at your casual suggestion of French. Language is something that Belgium takes seriously, at least in a formal sense. It's been that way since the late 19th century, and Flanders has become crushingly economically dominant in the last half-century (while maintaining its demographic advantage).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

What do you mean when you say 'government'? The legislature? Or the executive side - the ministers and their cabinets, and the parts of the administration that they preside over?

Assuming it's the former, I am not a big parliamentary debate watcher, but from what I've seen/heard, everyone just uses their own language. It's been that way for a really long time.

There are obviously no rules regarding the relatively rare informal meetings and negotiations between politicians who speak different languages (although it's Belgium so you are forgiven for assuming there are). As I said earlier, it's often French, simply because many francophones don't speak a word of Dutch or English. But that's just a matter of convenience (which still sometimes raises controversy, as it did in 2010), it's certainly not a guideline, let alone something that has a legal basis. That's why I was so shocked at your casual suggestion of French. Language is something that Belgium takes seriously, at least in a formal sense. It's been that way since the late 19th century, and Flanders has become crushingly economically dominant in the last half-century (while maintaining its demographic advantage).

Would anyone in Belgium besides the royal family be sad if it just got annexed by France and Netherlands?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Would anyone in Belgium besides the royal family be sad if it just got annexed by France and Netherlands?

That's the paradox which I addressed earlier, most people in Belgium identify with their country to some extent, or at least they use the word Belgian and their preferred regional identity interchangeably. It is all 'us'. Most don't think about what 'us' really means, and they don't have to.

It is one of the rare state-political 'good fences' situations. People look at the incredibly long negotiations, the slew of rules and regulations, and the near-complete sociological separation between the two communities, and conclude that Belgium has no future. But that very seeming instability is a sign of stability, since despite the usually questionable results nearly everyone is still willing to play the institutional game to get what they want. Belgium will only be in trouble once they decide not to bother forming a federal government at all.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Charles V presents: South America!

Tordesillas was signed in 1494 so I'm not sure what this was for?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Everywhere east of it was for Portugal to claim. Otherwise, Spain.
Not sure why that map isn't showing that properly.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Based on what I've learned from this thread, we can extrapolate that the "No Data" areas of the Balkans are actually orange, because Portugal is.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Weird of Charles V to get his noun/adjective gender agreement wrong

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He was born in Ghent and didn't pick up Castilian until well into adulthood, so it's not that strange.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

The idea of "going out to eat" is really a post french rev thing. Public houses were explicitly for travelers and meeting rather than "going to the bar." It is very modern to buy pre-made ready to eat meals, I would even say the modern idea of a "restaurant" wasn't a thing until the v late victorian period.

Do you have anything to back this up? Everything that I've read about Roman cities is the complete opposite of this assertion. Wikipedia 100% disagrees with you and so do the tour guides at Pompeii and Herculaneum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_and_dining_in_the_Roman_Empire

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Check out my monograph on Classic Mayan restaurant culture.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The actual Nuevo León is roughly a million miles north of where it is there, but they make extremely good food, and Monterrey is similar to like an Atlanta or a Dallas but mexican, low-key world class city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Leviathan Song posted:

Do you have anything to back this up? Everything that I've read about Roman cities is the complete opposite of this assertion. Wikipedia 100% disagrees with you and so do the tour guides at Pompeii and Herculaneum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_and_dining_in_the_Roman_Empire

That poster is incorrect. In Roman cities most people didn't even have a kitchen, any cooked meal was eaten at a restaurant or as takeout. A lot like Hong Kong.