Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It was community spreadsheets, mainly.

That being said, The spreadsheets that exist for 1800 are still incredibly useful in that you can set population values and production % changes ahead of time and use that to plan your poo poo out right the first time. In 1800 that’s more useful than ever as you have so many ways to modify production.

Knowing that two watchmakers at 250% will satisfy 10k investors means I can focus on actually building the required infrastructure in the space I have, plan all that ahead and not have to play the plate spinning supply/demand game once I've done the initial math. That's really huge when you realize just how much of that time and space can be saved over the course of a late stage Anno game and the ~25 or so resources.

This sheet is my favorite; My routine is enter a number of investors as my goal, then work my way backwards to set my population and production as needed. What's great is you can even see the general population required to support that needed infrastructure. Once you start collecting trade union stuff you can start to tailor it even further.

https://nihoel.github.io/Anno1800Calculator/

This ultimately plays into how efficiently you can lay out islands as well; if I know I need 9 coffee makers at 190% production to support my 40k investor goal, then I just need to lay out that once and tailor it to the fit the space, without having to think about over-or-under producing.

That's the exact approach I took my last full game, and it worked beautifully.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SubNat posted:

Ah yeah, that too.
(Though I really wish they'd give them up in X/min, as opposed to mm:ss/ton. aka 0.66 / min, instead of 1:30. It takes me a second to convert things whenever they stray away from 0:15, 0:30 and 1:00.)

I keep forgetting that 2205 didn't have that, but instead had those instantly updating popups whenever you slapped something down.

I tried keeping tabs but after a while I’m just slapping down whatever has a blue bar bigger than the green bar in the production tab, and take note of ratios when I have equilibrium.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

back in my 1800 game, I'm working on the engineer tier at the home island and getting things really going in the New World but I'm starting to get worried about the 2-star AIs. They're dumping trading posts all over Enbesa and Trelawney. At least in Trelawney I could just use normal planks and steel to claim a few extra spots right off the bat, but in Enbesa I think they might have claimed most of the islands by now. I haven't done the arctic expedition yet, and I would have held off on LoL if I had known before that it would delay the AI too.

The 2-star AIs have double the military and economic scores of me, which I guess is just a result of them actually building out all their islands and stuff in those other areas. I'm particularly worried about Von Malching. My relations with him are in the dumpster since I've been buying shares in his two big Old World islands, I'm kinda worried he would declare war on me and I've never been at war in this game yet. It seems like a real pain.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Danimo posted:

back in my 1800 game, I'm working on the engineer tier at the home island and getting things really going in the New World but I'm starting to get worried about the 2-star AIs. They're dumping trading posts all over Enbesa and Trelawney. At least in Trelawney I could just use normal planks and steel to claim a few extra spots right off the bat, but in Enbesa I think they might have claimed most of the islands by now. I haven't done the arctic expedition yet, and I would have held off on LoL if I had known before that it would delay the AI too.

The 2-star AIs have double the military and economic scores of me, which I guess is just a result of them actually building out all their islands and stuff in those other areas. I'm particularly worried about Von Malching. My relations with him are in the dumpster since I've been buying shares in his two big Old World islands, I'm kinda worried he would declare war on me and I've never been at war in this game yet. It seems like a real pain.

Military scores are usually a lie, in my experience. AIs love to spam turrets on their islands, which may make them harder to siege but it doesn't really make them stronger.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
You can trivialize war by creating battle cruisers that can attack from outside the range of all harbor defenses, even big Betty. The AI can't counter it because their navy is usually not good.

The items that you need to do this come from Archie and Ann Harlow. Archie has a telescope with +15% range and Ann has 3x legendary pirates that all give attack range bonuses.

Stack these and blockade their harbor to destroy their poo poo. 50% Bonus damage to structures if you equip drae von gost from ann Harlow!

I made a super tanky pirate battlecruisser with like 15k hp and flamethrower. What a beast.

Also I had the enbesa colonization crew gently caress me out of islands, led exclusively by gasparov. I will be starting a new game after the patch.

HOWEVER...

The patch notes don't mention them fixing this obviously unintended bug! I think that they are going to fix it, though.

Evidently the internal, undocumented trigger for AI to colonize enbesa is building a hospital. From what i hear, if you don't build one, they don't go there. So my artisans will be getting a touch of the plague in my new game if they don't specifically address this issue.

Its kind of poo poo having these semi timed quests with real consequences and then the AI go take my island where I'm just trying to get some goddamn lobster gently caress you gasparov!

vandalism fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 10, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I'm not sure that the AI colonization behavior is unintended. Two and three star AI have always been able to beat you to new sessions before you unlock them. That's part of the intended challenge of that difficulty level. If you want to control AI colonization you have to use one stars or go to war.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

To the New World? Yes it's a race to get there. Not so much to the DLC zones of the Arctic, Enbessa and, to a lesser degree, Crown Falls.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I’m considering starting over with one star AIs or no AIs, dealing with active AIs just feels like too much to handle with a limited toolset.

I’m at war with Carl now and it’s just incredibly annoying. He has few warships if any, just a ton of turrets that I don’t know how to deal with other than just going wild with Line ships. I would just ignore him but his home island is in the middle of the Old World so his turrets are messing with my trade routes.

basically I don’t know how to babysit this war while trying to build up to oil in the New World. I’m kinda struggling to deal the engineer tier as it is.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Gadzuko posted:

I'm not sure that the AI colonization behavior is unintended. Two and three star AI have always been able to beat you to new sessions before you unlock them. That's part of the intended challenge of that difficulty level. If you want to control AI colonization you have to use one stars or go to war.

I see what you're saying, but I don't believe that it's intended for AI npcs to settle Enbesa before the player reaches it. Here are a couple of reasons that I believe this:

Conquering a new island is not possible without wanza wood and clay bricks, both of which are imossible to get until elders. If you show up later on and they have already settled, the neutral trader there will have a full stock of bricks. The NPCs have full stock of advanced items, like illuminated manuscripts and lanterns. This doesn't seem intended. Consider one of the later main quests in Enbesa requires the player to provide 2 tons of lobster soup. With the current, fully settled islands, the NPCS are selling hundreds of tons of this soup. The quests are designed to organically see the player expand out. If the AI is already there and settled, these quests don't really make sense at all.

I am thinking that they tested enbesa in already in progress games but neglected to start from the beginning and reach embesa and this is the result.

It's definitely intended to race the NPCs to the new world, both thematically and gameplay-wise. Trelawney doesn't open up for NPC colonization (on 2 star, anyway) until the player is there already. The arctic makes a lot of sense to not have AI colonize until it does, as well.

I think they screwed something up with this and testing didn't get done properly. I don't really blame them. The game has lots of things to test!

Danimo posted:

I’m considering starting over with one star AIs or no AIs, dealing with active AIs just feels like too much to handle with a limited toolset.

I’m at war with Carl now and it’s just incredibly annoying. He has few warships if any, just a ton of turrets that I don’t know how to deal with other than just going wild with Line ships. I would just ignore him but his home island is in the middle of the Old World so his turrets are messing with my trade routes.

basically I don’t know how to babysit this war while trying to build up to oil in the New World. I’m kinda struggling to deal the engineer tier as it is.

my playstyle really lends me to gasparov, beryl o'mara, and hugo mercier. They all like propaganda and can be easily bought off with gifts and compliments. Malching is just a loving rear end in a top hat and designed to piss you off as much as possible. He loses 4 influence naturally and wants TONS of money for every little thing. If you can work up a bunch of money and get him to a treaty and gift him enough you can probly make friends with him again. Might need to sweep some of his islands and stuff. 1 star AI is pretty good for company.

Unless you're a blatant Wibblyist...

vandalism fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 11, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Alkydere posted:

To the New World? Yes it's a race to get there. Not so much to the DLC zones of the Arctic, Enbessa and, to a lesser degree, Crown Falls.

vandalism posted:

I see what you're saying, but I don't believe that it's intended for AI npcs to settle Enbesa before the player reaches it. Here are a couple of reasons that I believe this:

Conquering a new island is not possible without wanza wood and clay bricks, both of which are imossible to get until elders. If you show up later on and they have already settled, the neutral trader there will have a full stock of bricks. The NPCs have full stock of advanced items, like illuminated manuscripts and lanterns. This doesn't seem intended. Consider one of the later main quests in Enbesa requires the player to provide 2 tons of lobster soup. With the current, fully settled islands, the NPCS are selling hundreds of tons of this soup. The quests are designed to organically see the player expand out. If the AI is already there and settled, these quests don't really make sense at all.

I am thinking that they tested enbesa in already in progress games but neglected to start from the beginning and reach embesa and this is the result.

It's definitely intended to race the NPCs to the new world, both thematically and gameplay-wise. Trelawney doesn't open up for NPC colonization (on 2 star, anyway) until the player is there already. The arctic makes a lot of sense to not have AI colonize until it does, as well.

I think they screwed something up with this and testing didn't get done properly. I don't really blame them. The game has lots of things to test!

I am probably just be misremembering then, I had thought the AI in the past had beaten me to the Arctic and Crown Falls (although not the mainland obviously) but it has been a long time since I played with anything other than 1 star AI to farm quests.

Another option here, if you are ok with mods, is the AI Shipyard mod:
https://www.reddit.com/r/anno/comments/ci3ywr/ai_shipyard_mod_just_spawn_the_ai_after_the_fact/

quote:

In a nutshell, this allows you to add an AI Bente Jorgensen for example or even Hugo Mercier (DLC required of course) into your savegames AFTER the fact. Simply add the mod to your game, build the AI Shipyard, click on the AI you want to spawn and once the ship is built the AI will start settling islands and behave like it was there from the beginning.

To get strong and independent people like Lady Margaret Hunt to settle in your sector you obviously need educated diplomats, time and resources. For that purpose, this mod adds a new monument like building the Embassy. It works similarly to the Great Exhibition (World Fair), but in a smaller scope.
It's a pretty well designed mod IMO and allows you to just add NPCs to your ongoing game at any point. So you can settle Enbesa and then add the NPCs at your leisure.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just in case you might want to see a video of the unboxing of the board game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhoUbcstXyA

It's my first attempt at a video, I hope you enjoy it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mayveena posted:

Just in case you might want to see a video of the unboxing of the board game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhoUbcstXyA

It's my first attempt at a video, I hope you enjoy it.

Pretty sizeable box.
Could you give the thread an overview once you've played it? I'm curious how it is, since I haven't played any of the other games from that designer.

Vaguely worried that it's just 'anno 1800 graphical assets slapped on a mediocre game' though setting up production chains and etc in a board game would be pretty complex.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

vandalism posted:

my playstyle really lends me to gasparov, beryl o'mara, and hugo mercier. They all like propaganda and can be easily bought off with gifts and compliments. Malching is just a loving rear end in a top hat and designed to piss you off as much as possible. He loses 4 influence naturally and wants TONS of money for every little thing. If you can work up a bunch of money and get him to a treaty and gift him enough you can probly make friends with him again. Might need to sweep some of his islands and stuff. 1 star AI is pretty good for company.

instead of giving Carl money I used all my spare influence on a fleet of ships-of-the-line and went to siege one of his small islands, and after destroying the defenses there he offered me some cash for a cease fire. Turns out he's at war with literally everyone else too. George Smith rolled up on the same island after I peaced out.

also I've not really been paying too much attention to trade unions outside of a few +productivity random items, but I just got the lady clockmaker that lets you make watches with brass. The way those things can drastically change production lines is wild.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Danimo posted:

also I've not really been paying too much attention to trade unions outside of a few +productivity random items, but I just got the lady clockmaker that lets you make watches with brass. The way those things can drastically change production lines is wild.

You can buy a dude at the prison (Daario?) that swaps steel for raw iron in bicycles and sewing machines. After that you only really need steel for ships and building.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I know this is the wrong game, but I’m pretty sure there is no active Anno 2205 thread.

Does anyone know how to decouple two vehicles? I accidentally attached an engineer ship to my command ship and I can’t figure out how to separate them and can’t find anything online.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

moosecow333 posted:

I know this is the wrong game, but I’m pretty sure there is no active Anno 2205 thread.

Does anyone know how to decouple two vehicles? I accidentally attached an engineer ship to my command ship and I can’t figure out how to separate them and can’t find anything online.

Right click on the destination, or abort the mission.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I don’t think this engineer ship is part of a quest but I’ll see if I didn’t accidentally accept something later, thanks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

moosecow333 posted:

I don’t think this engineer ship is part of a quest but I’ll see if I didn’t accidentally accept something later, thanks.

It is. Everything that involves your command ship hooking something up is for a quest.

It might be a sector project, which is the star icon rather than a regular sidequest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Getting bored in the Greentide Archipelago. Need 20k more synths, and there's nothing challenging to it. It's just busywork to make more houses to make more houses higher level until I get enough synths, ducking into other sectors as needed to adjust production of random goods. Forcing me to spread out development across all these tiny islands is just annoying, not challenging. Synths don't even seem to do anything, and their needs are more executive/investor level garbage I'm already churning out.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 12, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

Getting bored in the Greentide Archipelago. Need 20k more synths, and there's nothing challenging to it. It's just busywork to make more houses to make more houses higher level until I get enough synths, ducking into other sectors as needed to adjust production of random goods. Forcing me to spread out development across all these tiny islands is just annoying, not challenging. Synths don't even seem to do anything, and their needs are more executive/investor level garbage I'm already churning out.

Synths ONLY need the top tier stuff and create an absolute boatload of population. And, um, workforce which is really not something you really need in the Temperate zone past the initial hump to tier two housing.

They mainly exist for getting the 1 Million pop achievement.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Installed Anno 1800, got the mod manager, downloaded some mods, tested it out, downloaded some new mods and the game updated itself, making mod manager incompatible for now.

:negative:

Also managed to forget that everything seems to be in fire all the time.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I don't think any new updates are out, try restarting it.
The mod manager gives me that error occasionally, but it tends to be updated the same day new patches hit.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

whyyyyyyyyy won't you let me buy city lights, ubisoft. i need the last piece of content so i can start my epic megagame that will last until the next Anno release

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
There was the 9.1 update yesterday.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

boar guy posted:

whyyyyyyyyy won't you let me buy city lights, ubisoft. i need the last piece of content so i can start my epic megagame that will last until the next Anno release

No loving kidding.

Figure if/when I do that I'll cut out Crown Falls though. Just feels so...samey to me. And who has time for the diving bell minigame after they added the arctic and east Africa?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Alkydere posted:

No loving kidding.

Figure if/when I do that I'll cut out Crown Falls though. Just feels so...samey to me. And who has time for the diving bell minigame after they added the arctic and east Africa?

i'm going to grow as slow as i can, with the eventual goal being to produce nothing in Crown Falls but a huge palace, zoo, expo, etc. i want to have one central shipping island, too, but that's not something that comes easy, gotta build it up over time

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I need a good map seed bros...

Anything good for a game with pirates, ai players and merchants enabled?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
---

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Does the City Lights cosmetic pack just...not exist on the store?

I must have all of the parts to my digital city legos!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Does the City Lights cosmetic pack just...not exist on the store?

only in the US :) (unless you bought it on Steam)

edit @ noon PST: i found and was able to buy the City Lights pack. yay!

boar guy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 13, 2020

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I am starting to find all the different regions kinda tiresome. I wish I could have one large region with all the climates instead like in Anno 1404. Discovering Crown Falls stings quite bit, as I guess I am supposed to build my largest city there instead of the first map.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Banemaster posted:

I am starting to find all the different regions kinda tiresome. I wish I could have one large region with all the climates instead like in Anno 1404. Discovering Crown Falls stings quite bit, as I guess I am supposed to build my largest city there instead of the first map.

I just set my landmasses to large (only affects Temperate zone anyways) and turn off Crown Falls. It's nice the first couple of times, and was nice when it was new. But...now? Meh, I have more fun not having a pre-existing "perfect" landmass to dwarf everything. It means I only have 4 maps to work with instead of 5, and each map represents a different set of needs/wants.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I'm still plugging away at my first sandbox game of 1800. There were a few times where I almost decided to start over, particularly in my forever war with Carl Von Malching, but I've pushed through and realized that its okay if I ignore some plates while I get others to spin better.

I hit Investors a while ago and just kicked Carl off his last Old World island. I feel like the toughest tier to get setup for me was Artisans. The worker tier is tough on money but the Artisan to Engineer part is where I actually had to get several islands going in the Old and New Worlds. The +200 labor pool influence bonus is very good.

The home island:

Still pretty glad I went with the 10x10 grids, has made my railroad mess much easier to put down. I don't think its particularly aesthetically pleasing though, when I get around to doing something with Crown Falls I'll probably do 10x10 grids with a few wide parkways to break it up, and maybe leave a few blocks empty for big parks.

somehow my bank and investors ended up near the pig-murdering factories but I think thats appropriate.

I haven't done anything with Enbesa or Crown Falls and I think I'm gonna go to Enbesa for a while. Build it up while stealing whatever poo poo Carl has there.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Just remember you can move higher tier pops to their own 'burbs, so to speak. Engineers don't need marketplaces, pubs, or churches, etc, so you can set them up on a clear spot of the island specifically designed for them alone.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Trivia posted:

Just remember you can move higher tier pops to their own 'burbs, so to speak. Engineers don't need marketplaces, pubs, or churches, etc, so you can set them up on a clear spot of the island specifically designed for them alone.

yeah, I didn't move anyone around much but I figured that out and built up the engineers and investors on the east side of town just on the edge of the original marketplace's coverage and I've just been moving the amenities around. Tearing down a school to build the investors' clubhouse feels more in the spirit of things than moving giant rowhouses around.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Your islands are aesthetically pleasing.

Carl is quite a bastard. Congrats on overtaking him.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
What are these 10*10 grids I keep reading about?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Asciana posted:

This is what I found on it:
https://anno1800.fandom.com/wiki/Guide:_Create_your_own_variable_city_layout_with_10x10_city_blocks#The_10x10_city_block

It's basically just a way to lay out your city that will leave you room for any needs buildings and leaves you some room for if you need to shuffle stuff around for rails.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Asciana posted:

https://anno1800.fandom.com/wiki/Guide:_Create_your_own_variable_city_layout_with_10x10_city_blocks

basically you plan your city center on grid of 10x10 tile blocks. The 10x10 size fits 9 houses or any non-bank amenity plus a few houses and you always have 1 tile wide lines of space leftover that you can fill with trees. Then when you get to electricity you can rearrange things just slightly and run railroads right through the city center really easily.

edit: I'll add that while a layout strategy isn't all that much to get excited about, it was very helpful as a new player who didn't know what kind of poo poo would unlock in later tiers.

Danimo fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Railroads and power caused me to restart at least 1 or 2 times. Now I use canned layouts from the wiki because of that.

I would like to try the 10x10 method. I read some math on the anno reddit that 2x5 house plots are 80% space efficient and 10x10 grids are like 66% space efficient. I dont know if this is accurate, but 14% efficiency is not a huge price to pay to think somewhat less about planning a layout. The 10x10 looks nice with trees, too.