Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
Tonight's dinner was a couple of loaves of challah (that I made to go with chicken salad I needed to make).

It's been more than a few months since I last rolled and braided a loaf of challah so I ended up kinda going too thin/long on this one

very long

kinda did the same thing with the second loaf. was going for a 6 braid

i should have been more careful doing the initial fold here

wasn't the prettiest loaf but it bounced back post proof and oven spring

used a flour/sugar/oil mixture as the wash 'cause it saves an egg and looks really nice

No pictures of the chicken salad but that was kind of a whole heck of a lot less nice looking than the bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

:eyepop:

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have made a terrible mistake. I clicked when I shouldn't have when working with a bulk food distributor and now I have something.

Close your eyelids. In your mind's eye, imagine a perfect, vacuum sealed cube of dried spinach flakes. The cube is 2'x2'x1'

It is a lot of spinach flakes. Enough to fill two buckets. I think it's roughly equivalent to ~65 lbs of fresh spinach. Maybe more. I don't know. But there's a lot.

I know I'll be making a lot of saag paneer. Saag tofu. Saag potatoes. Saag spaghetti. Saag saag.

Any other fun uses for spinach? It's terrible in soups, right? Cream of... Spinach soup?

gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

smoothies

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
that is really cool. where did you buy it from and how much was it?

Also you can totes work with spinach in soups. Any soup that uses whatever greens you can sub in spinach somewhat.

you can also always just sort of make it into weird dips (dunno how the dried to not-dry flavor is gonna work out tho)

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Its delish."

I scouted it on Amazon, $94, then bought it direct from them at their website, $51.

It's worth it to me to stay out of the stores, to avoid paying for stems, and to avoid spending my time washing mud out of it.

I also bought their bell pepper flakes which are awesome to eat by the handful and their dehydrated onions, carrots, parsley flakes, and vegetable soup mix.

Having dried poo poo on hand means I can whip up something pretty loving good in five minutes instead of an hour and a half.

It can also be added as a way of reducing moisture in something, like the egg batter for an omelette, without adding to the cooking time. The bell peppers rehydrate and suck moisture out of the egg batter.

I really like eating soft boiled eggs with mayonnaise, horseradish, and dijon mustard. I had to buy three different squeeze bottles and put up with whatever poo poo they put along with the horseradish.

Now I just mix powdered mustard, powdered horseradish, a dash of powdered vinegar, and whip that up with some mayonnaise at proportions I find spicy enough. I dump it in a squeeze bottle when it's to my taste and keep it in the fridge. I like it way spicier than the bullshit they sell at the store.

I also use the powdered vinegar to make salt and vinegar chips style popcorn. It's very nice.

I cook and reduce powdered balsamic vinegar with a smaller amount of real balsamic vinegar to make what my chef friend calls nuclear sludge. It's a very dense vinegar reduction with a consistency like molasses and it's great for a lot of stuff, from direct drizzles on salads and steaks to sauce reductions for lamb and poo poo to emergency adds to soups or other poo poo that needs a flavor without the extra liquid. You can brush it on vegetables and roast them too.

Succbot Circlejerk has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Nov 12, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can you link the veggie soup mix?

also if i had that much spinach i'd be making big vats of zuppa toscana copycat every week

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
It looks like the consistency of oregano or dried parsley. That's a lotta spice!
I think smoothies would work, but I imagine it'd take a while for it to rehydrate. Make The Spinach Challenge (eating a 1/4c of dried spinach) go viral on YouTube, maybe?

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Company
https://itsdelish.com/

Vegetable soup mix
https://itsdelish.com/collections/dried-vegetables/products/vegetable-soup-mix?variant=16757196587098

Dried spinach flakes
https://itsdelish.com/collections/dried-vegetables/products/dried-spinach-flakes

Dried red and green bell pepper flakes
https://itsdelish.com/collections/dried-vegetables/products/dried-red-and-green-bell-peppers-mix

Chives. I list this because it's amazing in scrambled egg batter. Let sit ten minutes then make them eggs. Fresh chives are expensive.

https://itsdelish.com/collections/spices-herbs/products/chives-dried

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

im sure their products are fine, but this does not seem like a good way to prepare salmon!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
there's a bakery here that makes these insanely good mochi muffins/cupcakes, but they're like $5 a pop and always a long wait so i've figured out how to make them at home. this batch turned out a little overcooked but the good thing about mochi flour is you really cant overcook it

what are some other cool things you can do with mochi flour? i also have a giant bag of xantham gum that i want to see if i can make like gelatin-free panna cotta out of it

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Made a batch of garam masala from whole dried spices. Had my kitchen smelling so good

Cinnamon, coriander, cumin, pepper, star anise, fennel, bay leaves, black cardamom. Fried it for a few minutes before grinding

I really need to get a spice mill because I had to do the grinding in my blender and it sucked. I did it in batches, sifting out the ground spices from the remaining large chunks, then putting the big pieces back in the blender, and repeat. Took too long, but it came out well in the end

I mixed it all with a bunch of yogurt, and put 10 lbs of chicken thighs in that to marinate. Later today it’s all going to get grilled. I’m going to then separate the grilled chicken into pre-portioned bowls (along with other stuff) and put them in the freezer, so I have some ready to go meals for when I’m feeling lazy

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

it's ten o'clock at night and i already ate dinner and im about to make breakfast because I just birthed the idea of biscuits and gravy but it's chorizo and cornbread

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Does anyone have any good pizza-sauce recipes? Planning on making a vegan pizza for friday night. I have a really good sauce I love to make but it's very heavy on spices and I wanted to shake it up just for something different. I was thinking that one of my favorite local italian places has god drat great pizza/marinara sauce, it's like very "light-tasting", maybe some lemon and heavy olive oil, not sure, but it tastes great without tasting like seasoned--i've never been able to make that.

i've tried making sauces from raw tomatoes before but they just tasted disappointingly watery and astringent sharp without much flavor for the amount of effort it took. I prefer to stick to something using liked canned crushed/whole tomatoes.

my regular sauce just for comparison

quote:

1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 tsp oregano (plus optional dash of thyme/parsley)
2 tsp basil (or 1 tbs fresh chopped)
1-2 tsps fennel seeds
1/2 tsp onion powder (not essential)
4 cloves minced garlic (more or less depending on taste)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4-1/8 tsp ground lemon zest (super optional)
1 tbs olive oil
1-2 tsp pepper flakes
1 tbs honey (optional, sometimes sweetness is nice)
~ 1/3 cup red wine
some amount of pepper
put lid on pot on just slightly askew with a paper towel to let steam escape but not splatter all over the place. cook on low for like 1-2 hrs (longer the better but add water/more wine if it gets too thick)

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Nov 13, 2020

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/detroit-style-pizza-recipe.html

the sauce in here

my understanding is you will never make good sauce with fresh tomatos from the store because they aren't ripe and aren't great cultivars for sauce either, and it sounds like you don't do this but another common stumbling block is using canned goods w/ calcium chloride or some other firming agent where anything you add to that will refuse to soften no matter how much cooking you do to it. this is common w/ store brand canned diced tomatos or beans.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah well you do that and i'll buy a 25 lb case of bbq corn nuts off of nuts.com

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I get my nuts cheaper somewhere else

I'm serious I love nuts

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
AliExpress friend

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not buying food off alibaba sorry

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Xaris posted:

Does anyone have any good pizza-sauce recipes? Planning on making a vegan pizza for friday night. I have a really good sauce I love to make but it's very heavy on spices and I wanted to shake it up just for something different. I was thinking that one of my favorite local italian places has god drat great pizza/marinara sauce, it's like very "light-tasting", maybe some lemon and heavy olive oil, not sure, but it tastes great without tasting like seasoned--i've never been able to make that.

i've tried making sauces from raw tomatoes before but they just tasted disappointingly watery and astringent sharp without much flavor for the amount of effort it took. I prefer to stick to something using liked canned crushed/whole tomatoes.

my regular sauce just for comparison

I never cook my pizza sauce. they biggest thing is that you need GOOD canned tomatoes. everyone jerks off over san marzanos but meh, they can vary a decent amount and there are other really good tomatoes out there that everyone ignores because DOPPPPP omggg. the only canned tomatoes I use for pizza (seriously, I won't make pizza if I don't have a can on hand) are called 6-in-1 ground tomatoes from Escalon

they have a fantastic texture, consistency and sweetness right out of the can. like, I sometimes just eat a couple spoonfuls, which I have no desire to do with DOPs. so, I suggest getting a can of those. some of my Italian specialty stores carry them here, and a big grocery store does too. you might have to call around or order online. if you can't get them, just use your favorite good canned tomatoes, I guess.

then, add to a 28-ounce can: a few cloves of minced garlic, a bunch of dried oregano, a little dried basil, some red pepper flakes, a bit of salt, maybe a pinch of sugar or honey if you want more sweetness

that's it, just mix it and sauce your pizza. super fresh tasting and tomatoey.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

nuts.com

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

having a set recipe for sauce is odd to me bc I just open a can or whatever I have and add whatever the gently caress spices and salt and msg and it's done

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hear it's completely and totally nuts

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I never cook my pizza sauce. they biggest thing is that you need GOOD canned tomatoes. everyone jerks off over san marzanos but meh, they can vary a decent amount and there are other really good tomatoes out there that everyone ignores because DOPPPPP omggg. the only canned tomatoes I use for pizza (seriously, I won't make pizza if I don't have a can on hand) are called 6-in-1 ground tomatoes from Escalon

they have a fantastic texture, consistency and sweetness right out of the can. like, I sometimes just eat a couple spoonfuls, which I have no desire to do with DOPs. so, I suggest getting a can of those. some of my Italian specialty stores carry them here, and a big grocery store does too. you might have to call around or order online. if you can't get them, just use your favorite good canned tomatoes, I guess.

then, add to a 28-ounce can: a few cloves of minced garlic, a bunch of dried oregano, a little dried basil, some red pepper flakes, a bit of salt, maybe a pinch of sugar or honey if you want more sweetness

that's it, just mix it and sauce your pizza. super fresh tasting and tomatoey.

san marzanos are wasted on pizza, they belong in sauce with 1) butter, 2) onion, and 3) salt full stop

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
nuts.com is really good.

it’s not particularly cheap but the nuts are super high quality and delicious. I just bought 5lb of cashews. they are absolutely the best cashews I’ve had. I buy dried mushrooms and other pantry items from them too!

good poo poo! they ship very fast.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chard posted:

san marzanos are wasted on pizza, they belong in sauce with 1) butter, 2) onion, and 3) salt full stop

superiority rules like this are dumb as hell, that's kind of my point. if there's a brand of DOPs that you like best, then by all means use them on a pizza, especially if you're making a neapolitan-style or traditional margherita. they're absolutely not wasted on a food that has 3 simple components, that's the whole point of using really good quality ingredients. but they're not the only good canned tomatoes out there, and you better believe you can make a good Hazan sauce with non-DOP too

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

what is dop

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

snoo posted:

what is dop

it's like a certification Italians use on their tomatoes (like the french with champagne)

https://slice.seriouseats.com/2010/12/what-is-a-dop-italian-san-marzano-canned-tomato.html

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ah okay I only buy store brand tomatoes/sauces, only real italian thing I've ever gotten was parmigiano reggiano

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

it's the certification for san marzano tomatoes so Italians from that region can sell them for more money. it stands for Denominazione di Origine Protetta. kind of like how champagne only comes from the Champagne region of France, everything else is just sparkling wine

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

superiority rules like this are dumb as hell, that's kind of my point. if there's a brand of DOPs that you like best, then by all means use them on a pizza, especially if you're making a neapolitan-style or traditional margherita. they're absolutely not wasted on a food that has 3 simple components, that's the whole point of using really good quality ingredients. but they're not the only good canned tomatoes out there, and you better believe you can make a good Hazan sauce with non-DOP too

"superiority rules"? whatever you say, i was just levying my comments about what that particular "DOPPPP" shines in, you enjoy yourself

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

macaroni and gravy 🤌

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

snoo posted:

nuts.com

https://nuts.com/snacks/kale-chips/cherry-chia/4oz.html

this is the dankest nug i have ever seen

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
https://www.cleveland.com/cooking/2015/10/an_easy_tasty_no-cook_pizza_sa.html

This, with some minor modifications for personal taste, is the family favorite for Make Your Own Pizza night. Costco has some really good canned whole tomatoes, and we've been using those for a while. If you have a good red wine vinegar, by all means add some extra.

My kid hates tomatoes. When she's supposed to be making her pizza, she makes "pizza tacos" using pepperoni as the shell, with cheese and a little of this sauce inside. Again, I think it's the tang of the vinegar that does it for her.

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

it's the certification for san marzano tomatoes so Italians from that region can sell them for more money. it stands for Denominazione di Origine Protetta. kind of like how champagne only comes from the Champagne region of France, everything else is just sparkling wine

8% of the Italian national gdp is owed to organized crime. It is the regular and known practice for these forces to adulterate olive oil exports by mixing various less costly oils of different molecular chain weights to produce a facsimile to olive oil.

Can a regional designation such that you describe truly be trusted?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my jimon iberico guy in queens is on the up-and-up

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

using corn starch to make my tofu crispy almost feels like cheating. how can i cheat harder - rice flour? potato starch? i want shattered glass crunch

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you'll need a candy thermometer and a lot of corn syrup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Succbot Circlejerk posted:

8% of the Italian national gdp is owed to organized crime. It is the regular and known practice for these forces to adulterate olive oil exports by mixing various less costly oils of different molecular chain weights to produce a facsimile to olive oil.

Can a regional designation such that you describe truly be trusted?

no, it's dumb as hell. like the bs VPN-certified pizza places