Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Alberta is encouraging people not to have gatherings in their homes ...................... but have them in bars and restaurants instead
https://twitter.com/YourAlberta/status/1324901899003437056

These can't be real. That's basically instructions on how to get covid-19.

You're an aussie right? Or Canadian? Either way, the US is hosed and we have no leadership right now. There is nothing. The Wisconsin governor, who is doing his god damned best to lead, came on TV last night and pleaded for everyone to stay inside and signed an executive order "suggesting" everyone to stay inside. A suggestion. If he signs an EO(exec order) that actually does anything right now he knows that the Republican GOP legislature and the conservative Supreme Court will sue and shut it down. And they have no plan to do anything about it. They just shut it down because they have to. The literally have no plan. They never mentioned a plan, and they never said that they had a plan. They just shut things down.

Whatever plan the democrats and gov have, it doesn't matter now. The GOP will stop it just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Here in NYC shitloads of restaurants have just built crude shanties or tents outside, which doesn't seem helpful at all? I understand it's "outside" as in technically not in the actual building and probably poorly insulated but probably also poorly ventilated and the tables are still packed together so why bother? Ugh.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'll eat at places with properly spaced outdoor areas, but I aint loving around with any of those tents. That's basically just indoors, except colder

https://mobile.twitter.com/DoctorYasmin/status/1326752104979996672

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cruise ships are floating petri dishes and I salute them for the service they provide in culturing pathogens of all kinds. :patriot:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Honestly surprised there's never been a superbug spawned out of a cruise ship before. Some kind of nightmare hybrid of norovirus, flu, salmonella, and gonorrhea.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

In "poo poo that no one could possibly have anticipated"...

I really want to see how many cases total come out of that. Pity it'll just be allowed to dock, rather than being isolated out in the ocean to run its course.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Laterite posted:

Honestly surprised there's never been a superbug spawned out of a cruise ship before. Some kind of nightmare hybrid of norovirus, flu, salmonella, and gonorrhea.

how do you think the roni was created

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can’t convince me Cruise ships aren’t just highly specialized fronts by some government/lab for testing/creating diseases; they’re also quasi-legal holding companies anyways. They’re all stuck on a boat where they’re kept in close proximity and are stuffed with food and drink, they have closely monitored shore leaves, and every so often they just flush the hallways with the passengers’ own feces.

It’s the human equivalent of when they place some bacteria in a petri dish where it’s on a bed of readily consumable food so they can grow exponentially.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21st Cherry boy posted:

Here in NYC shitloads of restaurants have just built crude shanties or tents outside, which doesn't seem helpful at all? I understand it's "outside" as in technically not in the actual building and probably poorly insulated but probably also poorly ventilated and the tables are still packed together so why bother? Ugh.

Tents/marquees only count as "buildings" if they're being used for the express purpose of drive-through voting, in all other instances they're 100% not a building :eng101:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jokes posted:

You can’t convince me Cruise ships aren’t just highly specialized fronts by some government/lab for testing/creating diseases; they’re also quasi-legal holding companies anyways. They’re all stuck on a boat where they’re kept in close proximity and are stuffed with food and drink, they have closely monitored shore leaves, and every so often they just flush the hallways with the passengers’ own feces.

It’s the human equivalent of when they place some bacteria in a petri dish where it’s on a bed of readily consumable food so they can grow exponentially.

So what you're saying is cruise ships are the real world equivalent of Vault-Tek, got it.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Ahahaha.

How come you kids are so GOD DAMNED stupid and just do the stupidest thing possible every SINGLE SECOND OF THE GOD DAMNED DAY!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Xaintrailles posted:

Ahahaha.

How come you kids are so GOD DAMNED stupid and just do the stupidest thing possible every SINGLE SECOND OF THE GOD DAMNED DAY!

Seems like the real galaxy brain solution is to require vaccination trials on each cruise ship. When this inevitably happens, at least you'll have some data.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

WIN A FREE CRUISE!*
*some restrictions apply

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You're an aussie right? Or Canadian? Either way, the US is hosed and we have no leadership right now. There is nothing. The Wisconsin governor, who is doing his god damned best to lead, came on TV last night and pleaded for everyone to stay inside and signed an executive order "suggesting" everyone to stay inside. A suggestion. If he signs an EO(exec order) that actually does anything right now he knows that the Republican GOP legislature and the conservative Supreme Court will sue and shut it down. And they have no plan to do anything about it. They just shut it down because they have to. The literally have no plan. They never mentioned a plan, and they never said that they had a plan. They just shut things down.

Whatever plan the democrats and gov have, it doesn't matter now. The GOP will stop it just because.

Plus, imposing a full lockdown without massive cash assistance to workers and businesses will cripple the economy for years. Only the federal government can provide the leadership and resources to get us through this, without them local officials are forced to choose between a few bad options. Trump is directly responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths, without his influence, there was a chance that the federal government would do the right thing and enact a nationwide lockdown with financial support to get the coronavirus under control.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

The Victorian Trades Hall Council has rolled out some pretty simple signs to remind people how to stay on top of Covid.
It's the little things, like these clear, friendly reminders of what to do, that has helped Victoria get on top of their 2nd wave so successfully.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nam Taf posted:

The Victorian Trades Hall Council has rolled out some pretty simple signs to remind people how to stay on top of Covid.
It's the little things, like these clear, friendly reminders of what to do, that has helped Victoria get on top of their 2nd wave so successfully.

One of Trades Hall's most beloved members, Paddy Garritty, died from coronavirus last month. I'm pretty sure they'd be taking the pandemic seriously in any case but since it took Paddy from them they're really not going to put up with anyone's bullshit over masks or anything.

I used to hang out at the Trades Hall bar (which Paddy started, and ran) quite a bit in the early 00s so I was a bit of a familiar face and he always called me 'comrade'. :smith:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There is a term, "Albertarded" used to explain how loving stupid the people and conservative government in that province can be. They look at the very stupidest things that the Republicans are doing in the US and say, "yes! I think we should emulate this obviously horrible thing". In this case it's, Economy > People's Lives.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

My little brother had Covid back in April, as a healthy 29 year old. It was at the time like a particularly bad flu and he felt okay after a few weeks.

Apparently though he suffered organ damage and now his kidneys do not work properly. Not bad enough that he needs dialysis or something but he needs to be careful for the rest of his life and avoid drinking alcohol, not the worst case scenario but yet another reminded that this disease is serious business even for people in relatively 'low risk' demographics.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Not being able to drink alcohol as a potential side effect of contractig COVID should be put on signs and displayed at every drinking establishment across the country.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Laterite posted:

I always used to wonder why some Resident Evil games seemed to pick cruise ships as a setting, but it's quite easy to see why now

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Marmaduke! posted:

I always used to wonder why some Resident Evil games seemed to pick cruise ships as a setting, but it's quite easy to see why now

Clearly, you've never played XCom: Terror From The Deep cruise ship missions.

the horror... the horror...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ontario is breaking daily infection records on a daily basis now. We're planning on moving into a new colour-coded restriction system which is...more lenient than the system currently in place. Gyms have been closed for the last 28 days and open this weekend when we've been seeing about a 100-case increase day over day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eggyolk posted:

Not being able to drink alcohol as a potential side effect of contractig COVID should be put on signs and displayed at every drinking establishment across the country.

They can still drink with kidney damage.

They can’t drink without imperilling their health, but that already wasn’t stopping them.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

eggyolk posted:

Have more info on this?

ickna
May 19, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Ontario is breaking daily infection records on a daily basis now. We're planning on moving into a new colour-coded restriction system which is...more lenient than the system currently in place. Gyms have been closed for the last 28 days and open this weekend when we've been seeing about a 100-case increase day over day.

Leaked slide from the presentation:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
E: whoa wrong thread sorry

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Alberta is encouraging people not to have gatherings in their homes ...................... but have them in bars and restaurants instead
https://twitter.com/YourAlberta/status/1324901899003437056

Not surprised. The government has more or less just made supporting businesses the priority. There was an initiative in the spring where you got face masks by going to fast food drive thrus. That was the distribution plan: get PPE with your double double

Ridiculous

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Rat posted:

Not surprised. The government has more or less just made supporting businesses the priority. There was an initiative in the spring where you got face masks by going to fast food drive thrus. That was the distribution plan: get PPE with your double double

Ridiculous

You could get the masks from the drive thru without ordering anything, but why they chose those and not, say, grocery stores, is totally beyond me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I know someone who is a nurse in the newborn ICU unit. Her high school aged son who lives in her home has tested positive for the 'rona.
Her employer says she is an "essential worker", and must continue to come to work every day. Now she must take a temperature measurement at the beginning of each shift.

How pissed would you be if you were the parent of a sick baby in the neonatal ICU and found out one of the nurses exposed to covid was being forced to go to work?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Cacator posted:

You could get the masks from the drive thru without ordering anything, but why they chose those and not, say, grocery stores, is totally beyond me.

are ya bein silly?

not lining up for 20 minutes at 7am for your large triple triple and maple dip is fuckin' un-canadian eh?

i think they call the steven harper un-canadian hotline for that kinda degen activity

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Cacator posted:

It sort of makes sense in the 'social distancing, you stay in your car, they hold out a box of masks with a long pair of tongs' sort of way.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

21st Cherry boy posted:

People are stupid and think they can rules lawyer the virus. The virus can't get me if I'm outside, so I can recreate the indoor environment outside and it'll be safe.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

eggyolk posted:

This would get every single Wisconsinite to wear a space suit.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I was comparing the latest numbers to see how poorly Wisconsin compares to the rest of us. Going by new cases per capita, Wisconsin is 3x higher than the national average and 15x higher than the world average of new cases per capita.

If a state was seeing 50% more cases than the rest of the country that would be telling. What Wisconsin is seeing is actually impressive(ly bad.) Put it another way: at Wisconsin's impossibly high current new case rate, 4% of the population of Wisconsin will be new cases in a month. (7,487 new cases/day * 30 days ÷ 5.8 million people) Seeing how 'only' 5% of the state has been infected so far I wouldn't expect the current rate to continue, but yikes. I doubt in-person voting played a big a role in these numbers. We've seen from the BLM protests that large crowds of people, outdoors and wearing masks, are not super-spreader events.

naem
May 29, 2011

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sanctum posted:

I doubt in-person voting played a big a role in these numbers. We've seen from the BLM protests that large crowds of people, outdoors and wearing masks, are not super-spreader events.

Eh, what? For one, infection rates did increase after the protests (it's just that goons would shout at you for pointing that out and act like it could have only been July 4, not the protests because good things can't possibly have bad outcomes). But also, rates are way higher now, so these types of gatherings have a way higher likelihood of infecting many people. When infection rates are lower, things going well is simply a more likely outcome.

Also, voting usually happens inside.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 12, 2020

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I'm going by this study of cases in the 315 largest cities that saw protests.

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w27408/w27408.pdf

That's the same professor that wrote the paper on how contact tracing showed Sturgis was a super-spreader event.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That paper clearly states that people staying home is what likely reduced transmission, not that protests aren't a vector.

quote:

Event-study analyses provide strong evidence that net stay-at-home behavior increased following protest onset, consistent with the hypothesis that non-protesters’ behavior was substantially affected by urban protests. This effect was not fully explained by the imposition of city curfews. Estimated effects were generally larger for persistent protests and those accompanied by media reports of violence. Furthermore, we find no evidence that urban protests reignited COVID-19 case or death growth after more than five weeks following the onset of protests. We conclude that predictions of population-level spikes in COVID-19 cases from Black Lives Matter protests were too narrowly conceived because of failure to account for non-participants’ behavioral responses to large gatherings.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Yes, I know.

What we saw with Sturgis and the Tulsa rally were super-spreader events with subsequent spikes in new cases. Those spikes exist in these counties' new cases too, without excluding everyone but attendees. To say that there were no significant spikes in cases following protests across hundreds of cities, but to attribute that to non-participants staying home more cancelling out an increase from protestors is a really weird argument to make.

If the protests were big spreader events, there should be some spikes in the overall population following protest activity.