Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A Sometimes Food posted:

Legit never not been able to walk in and buy one the week of launch. Launch day shortages maybe but this "preorders sold out through to 2021" horseshit is new.

You got lucky with a PS4 then, because they were hard as hell to find for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Legit never not been able to walk in and buy one the week of launch. Launch day shortages maybe but this "preorders sold out through to 2021" horseshit is new.

This is pretty much how it goes around the world, and given COVID, yeah.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

A Sometimes Food posted:

PS2 launch was exactly the same as this. It was a total shitshow and consumer hype was off the charts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have like $500 of BB credit I was hoping to use on a PS5

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Firstly I know I said on the stream but I want to let you know here as well that I could not have gotten through the game without you guys backing me up and giving me support. You were amazing and pushed me and believed in me and I felt so much encouragement that it propelled me all the way.

Playing alongside you as well during the summons was even more fun and having a team of hoonters helping save Yharnam was a magical experience.

Secondly I never thought I would beat Bloodborne. Me from all those years ago got frustrated and gave up a number of times. These last sixteen days of bloodborning rocked and I am putting aside some money for Dark Souls as we speak. I want to play more of these games and I want to enjoy them with you all :D

I feel accomplished and have a definite number one for GOTY 2020. This game deserves all the praise it gets and it is a unique and wonderful adventure. I feel now that if I can beat a game like Bloodborne then perhaps I can beat hundreds of other games I never thought I could.

What an evening!

(Also in ng+ I could not help myself and went straight for the cleric beast and beat him so now I can safely say I beat every boss!! :3:)

Again thank you all for supporting me and believing in me and helping me.

:make contact:

Just remember that the games are all very easy once you've fought the boss 37 times and learn all of their attack animations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also doesn't run into the typical console launch issue of only having a handful of games to play that may or may not be one or two good new ones and a bunch of uprezzed ports or what're functionally short tech demos. Instead it's realistically got the whole PS4 back-catalogue to play, so there's zero reason for every PS4 owner not to upgrade ASAP.

What? The reason is that an increase to processing power of games I already own is not worth hundreds of dollars.

When some games actually worth owning come out, that's a reason for getting a new console. Honestly I never understood the frenzy over backwards compatibility, it's more a selling point for people who never owned a PS4.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also doesn't run into the typical console launch issue of only having a handful of games to play that may or may not be one or two good new ones and a bunch of uprezzed ports or what're functionally short tech demos. Instead it's realistically got the whole PS4 back-catalogue to play, so there's zero reason for every PS4 owner not to upgrade ASAP.

you can look at this the other way very easily. if you have games in the ps4 library to play, and there are only like 10 new ps5 titles you might like at launch, and the ps5 will only incrementally add to the experience of playing through those ps4 games, why go through the hell of trying to get a ps5 now? by working through the backlog, you save some cash and headache. plus you ensure you won’t be dealing with the inevitable technical issues at launch.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah even if I could justify the cost of an entire PS5 right now I want to wait until any hardware issues or teething problems get sorted out, and until there are enough games worth upgrading for. I don't need a whole new console if I'm just going to keep playing Rocket League on it, after all. Having my backlog of PS4 games is pretty nice, but until a significant amount of things I need a PS5 for are on my wishlist I'm not going to throw money down that I don't absolutely know I have spare.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have decided the release date of this game is when I'm getting a PS5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr6PtdY0i7M

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

What? The reason is that an increase to processing power of games I already own is not worth hundreds of dollars.

When some games actually worth owning come out, that's a reason for getting a new console. Honestly I never understood the frenzy over backwards compatibility, it's more a selling point for people who never owned a PS4.

One less box under your TV. Your PS4 can be replaced and passed on to a friend/traded in/moved to a spare room/etc.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
So on the cusp of the PS5 I am thinking that the PS4 is probably my favourite console - either that or the SNES. There has just been a ton of high quality games and lots of interesting indie experiences too. I tried making a list and not all of these are PS4-only obviously but my breakdown goes something like this, in close to a descending order:

Absolutely Loved
NieR:Automata (despite all its flaws, probably the game I just love the most and think about most often)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (again, there are flaws but I love its deliberate, slow nature, the world it built, how you interacted and spent time with the gang, and didn't really have any issues with the controls)
The Last of Us 2 (technical masterpiece with great storytelling and I was totally fine with the decision for the 2nd half of the game and the long ending(s))
FF7R (just a delight after so many years of speculation and expectation, the combat system was super fun and the characters and especially the VA was excellent)
Spider-Man (a total joy to play)
Uncharted 4 (was a technical marvel when it came out, I enjoyed the story and the enhanced stealth leading into run 'n gun gameplay - Lost Legacy was great too)  
Witcher 3 (enough has been said about my man Geralt)  
God of War (there might not be a more satisfying game mechanic/sound than the axe THWOMPING back into your hand - other stuff was pretty pretty good as well)
Journey (a minimalist delight, incredible visual design and soundtrack)  
Titanfall 2 (superb SP campaign with one of the most memorable levels of all time)
Firewatch (I don't get tired of playing through this game, I do it at least once a year - it's gorgeous and has a unique setting, wonderful VA)
Life is Strange (all of'em - they're clunky and the dialogue can miss pretty hard sometimes but they're so drat earnest and endearing)
DOOM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GaIbECisQ)

Loved
Control (I love the environment and setting so much, but it can also be a pretty frustrating game at times)
Horizon Zero Dawn (really excellent combat and main story, cookie cutter open world and side missions didn't add much to the game) (there also isn't a : in the game name)  
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (mostly for Kassandra, one my of favourite lead characters, too much Ubisoft open world stuff going on)
Hellblade (simplistic but powerful experience)
Night in the Woods (stuff outside the game colours my thoughts about this but it was otherwise a charming and compelling experience)
What Remains of Edith Finch (fun and surprising game, short but memorable)
Inside (bleak but engaging, great visuals and atmosphere)
Metal Gear Solid V (phenomenal gameplay, a mess everywhere else)
Until Dawn (really fun to play through an 80's slasher/monster flick)
Alien: Isolation (too long, but really intense and a great homage to the movie)
Prey (amazing amount of ways to explore the game, cool story and setting, some frustrating game decisions and glitching)
Final Fantasy XV (total mess of a game but had enough charming parts and a surprisingly affecting ending)

Special Mentions
Game I Respect As The Best PS4 Game That I Love Watching Other People Play But Don't Really Enjoy Playing Myself: Bloodborne
Games I Love But Haven't Finished: Celeste, Death Stranding, Undertale
Games I Think I Will Love But Haven't Played Yet: Divinity 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Obra Dinn, Outer Wilds, Persona 5, RE7
Games I Do Not Care For Despite This Thread: Yakuza
Games I Haven't Played That Likely Show Up On Best-Of Lists But I Still Won't Like: Monster Hunter, Overwatch
Games That Are GTA5: GTA5

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Was planning on going for the Spider-Man plat since it seemed pretty straightforward but just got to act 3 and all these other activities opened up and ugh just ugh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Was planning on going for the Spider-Man plat since it seemed pretty straightforward but just got to act 3 and all these other activities opened up and ugh just ugh

A bunch of the side activities suck. Game is the best when you just play whatever side activities you are in the mood for and the story.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

fridge corn posted:

There are way too many Crime activities, yeah. They could have cut it down to 3 per type per district, and it still would have been a lot. If you still want the plat, I'd suggest you just grab a crime whenever one comes up, don't try to rush through them in the post-game, it's less fun that way. Also they seem to spawn at a much higher rate when I have an icon marked on the map, for whatever that's worth.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

That's it I'm going for the Xbox anyway and painting the ball like the eye of Sauron.

abelwingnut posted:

you can look at this the other way very easily. if you have games in the ps4 library to play, and there are only like 10 new ps5 titles you might like at launch, and the ps5 will only incrementally add to the experience of playing through those ps4 games, why go through the hell of trying to get a ps5 now? by working through the backlog, you save some cash and headache. plus you ensure you won’t be dealing with the inevitable technical issues at launch.

I never bought a PS4 Pro so I feel like even being able to play the games I already own on PS4 with some better hardware will be a big improvement. Throw in Astrobot and one or two games the next 4 months and I can justify the early investment. (in my mind) Especially since I'll also be upgrading my TV.

el oso posted:

Titanfall 2 (superb SP campaign with one of the most memorable levels of all time)
Which level is that? I played the campaign and liked the game but no level stands out to me right now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sioux posted:

That's it I'm going for the Xbox anyway and painting the ball like the eye of Sauron.

I never bought a PS4 Pro so I feel like even being able to play the games I already own on PS4 with some better hardware will be a big improvement. Throw in Astrobot and one or two games the next 4 months and I can justify the early investment. (in my mind)

Which level is that? I played the campaign and liked the game but no level stands out to me right now.

time travel, factory, and airship battle are probably among the best levels I've ever played in an FPS.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sioux posted:

Effect & Cause is the usual go-to

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PS4 is easily the best console I've ever owned. The exclusives alone would have ticked the box but there was so many other great games I played on it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope this Ratchet and Clank actually makes a splash when it comes out.

And I hope it's not restricted to just being a tech demo game where we only get one game for the entire generation.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I hope it's not restricted to just being a tech demo game where we only get one game for the entire generation.

Yeah I think this is the worry with any AAA series going forward, like look at the assets and stuff in TLOU2, R&C, new DeSouls etc...
These games must take loving years and years to make.
I guess it's why R* only had one real new game this gen.

e: I hope they do a 60fps patch for TLOU2 and RDR2 on next gen, those games looked amazing

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Cannot stop thinking about the world of Bloodborne and I wanted to look something up and discovered this great tip for dealing with King sharks on the Bloodborne lore page:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Cannot stop thinking about the world of Bloodborne and I wanted to look something up and discovered this great tip for dealing with King sharks on the Bloodborne lore page:

The sharks down the well? There's an item you can get that makes enemies fight eachother, it works well here.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

el oso posted:

So on the cusp of the PS5 I am thinking that the PS4 is probably my favourite console - either that or the SNES. There has just been a ton of high quality games and lots of interesting indie experiences too. I tried making a list and not all of these are PS4-only obviously but my breakdown goes something like this, in close to a descending order:

Absolutely Loved
NieR:Automata (despite all its flaws, probably the game I just love the most and think about most often)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (again, there are flaws but I love its deliberate, slow nature, the world it built, how you interacted and spent time with the gang, and didn't really have any issues with the controls)
The Last of Us 2 (technical masterpiece with great storytelling and I was totally fine with the decision for the 2nd half of the game and the long ending(s))
FF7R (just a delight after so many years of speculation and expectation, the combat system was super fun and the characters and especially the VA was excellent)
Spider-Man (a total joy to play)
Uncharted 4 (was a technical marvel when it came out, I enjoyed the story and the enhanced stealth leading into run 'n gun gameplay - Lost Legacy was great too)  
Witcher 3 (enough has been said about my man Geralt)  
God of War (there might not be a more satisfying game mechanic/sound than the axe THWOMPING back into your hand - other stuff was pretty pretty good as well)
Journey (a minimalist delight, incredible visual design and soundtrack)  
Firewatch (I don't get tired of playing through this game, I do it at least once a year - it's gorgeous and has a unique setting, wonderful VA)
Life is Strange (all of'em - they're clunky and the dialogue can miss pretty hard sometimes but they're so drat earnest and endearing)
DOOM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GaIbECisQ)

Overall a list I can agree with (never played Spyderman, though)...but it somehow lacks 13 Sentinels.

Also: if you find the time, finish Death Stranding. It's such a wild ride at the end.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The sharks down the well? There's an item you can get that makes enemies fight eachother, it works well here.

Huh. I used the "give up" strategy for those two

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Never gonna get the all weapons trophy that way

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am only missing five trophies I think. One from the old hunters (all weapons) and four from regular. Maybe when I get round to doing my NG+ on the PS5 (I will eventually get) I will give it a try :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also it makes me laugh a great deal that Defeat the Cleric beast trophy is rare at 48.9%. Goodness!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bring a PS+ title messes with trophy numbers especially in a game where anyone not prepared would die to the first enemy and go 'wtf is this poo poo'

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Bring a PS+ title messes with trophy numbers especially in a game where anyone not prepared would die to the first enemy and go 'wtf is this poo poo'

Oh! I did not realise it was PS+. I actually bought it back in the day :D OK that makes more sense.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That month that was Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank was probably the best PS+ month ever

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
They found Rom

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1326857316063391744

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did anyone ever figure out if the free PS5 copy of Bugsnax through PS Plus can be added to your account before you buy a PS5?

Yeah I did this morning. It didn't show up on my ps+ page but when I browsed ps5 games it was there

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

That month that was Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank was probably the best PS+ month ever

bugsnax and hollowknight is this month tho

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So many other big games I need to complete and finish now. Like Persona 5, Death Stranding, TLOU, TLG (Weekends only) :3:

Spoilt for choice!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

veeg, stream yakuza 7: like a dragon

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

veeg, stream yakuza 7: like a dragon

Hahah I cannot for three reasons:

1) I do not own it.
2) I am still midway through Yakuza 2 Kiwami.
3) I am not very engaged with turn based combat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

3) I am not very engaged with turn based combat.

Do NOT play Persona 5 in this case

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Do NOT play Persona 5 in this case

Well I have done a bit of the first dungeon in P5 and I have found it to be stylish and fun.

I think the reason is I am one of the few people who love the combat in the Yakuza series. It is a little sparse and samey, but for me I just loved it. It was as simple as my mind likes and doing all the power moves and using the terrain was ace. Maybe by the time I reach Y7 I will feel differently! I do want to play and beat 2,3,4,5,6. 0 and 1 were ace!

Basically I need to start knocking off games that I do own :D

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regardless, your instinct to play the series in order and not just jump to the newest one just because it's new is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

tuo posted:

Overall a list I can agree with (never played Spyderman, though)...but it somehow lacks 13 Sentinels.

Also: if you find the time, finish Death Stranding. It's such a wild ride at the end.

Death Stranding would have been better if I never finished it and instead just kept on keeping on forever..