Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The fairies in Wind Waker look so upset about being trapped in my bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In AC Odyssey if you stab a chicken (they're level 23 right now, they can take a hit), all the chickens around you will get pissed and start attacking you. And they're not ineffective, it's surprisingly quick to die by chicken.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Captain Hygiene posted:

In AC Odyssey if you stab a chicken (they're level 23 right now, they can take a hit), all the chickens around you will get pissed and start attacking you. And they're not ineffective, it's surprisingly quick to die by chicken.

Yeah I has two mercenaries fighting me at once in a rural street, I was just corralling them nicely when I get clawed from behind by an angry rooster, like my health points!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Now that's just a Zelda reference.

CJacobs posted:

I feel team magma and aqua aren't really that bad because when they've awakened the legendary and the chips are down they both explicitly tell your character "look, this is no place for a kid, this is not a fun romp with your friends anymore, you should probably just go home before you get yourself and all your pets killed"... And then they really do just leave to go do their business elsewhere without saying where they're going. You have to figure out where they went on your own.

Despite being crazy weirdos who want to and totally have the means to cause the end of the world, at least both leaders recognize that yes, their goal is in fact an extremely adult matter and children really shouldn't be involved in it. They at least understand the magnitude of what they each want to accomplish and that it will bring massive destruction either way. Not that that's really fair to anyone not part of teams aqua or magma but at least they have some scruples.

Makes a lot of sense given while ecoterrorists, both of them consider themselves to be the good guys and want to make things better, even if their ideas are crazy and dumb.

Team Plasma are weird, but there's some interesting nuance to them even beyond just Pokemon PETA. That their apparent leader is a completely dysfunctional weirdo because he was specifically raised to be one, and it becomes obvious to him eventually that he's undermining his own goals as a result.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Best part was when I stumbled across an island called Alektryon's Rest and right as I was thinking "That sounds familiar, wasn't that-" I got blindsided by the alpha rooster. Can't say it didn't warn me, I guess.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I said that but then I remembered Kale from Dragon Ball Super and she was the first example of going Street Fighter sized that I can remember, and they very quickly went 'no no, none of that' and shrunk her back down to Freeza sized like every other woman.

Noi in Dorohedoro is built like a train made of trains who deadlifts trains and is also The Best so she gets double the points.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
An extremely rudimentary little thing, but a Youtube video made me realize part of the secret sauce that makes Legend of Zelda work. There's a reason why despite every single installment in the series being staving off some great calamity, you're almost never in a hurry to do it:

Ganondorf is, canonically, the most patient man in Hyrule. Every single plan the man's had, across every game, involves him waiting for someone else to do something he can exploit. Sometimes it's before the game (Twilight Princess, Breath of the Wild), sometimes it's during the game (Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker), but he's always waiting, rather than performing an act himself.

The reason Zelda games are so slow is because your eternal nemesis is the slowest loving conqueror. In retrospect, it makes sense that the first Zelda game with an active antagonist that wasn't Ganon was the only one with any sort of time pressure.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Nov 12, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes a lot of sense given iirc it's the same Ganon every game. Being basically immortal/reincarnating probably gives you a different perspective on time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He probably doesn't care how long it lasts when he does take over. After BotW he's just like "PERSONAL BEST!" while crossing out "7 years" and writing "100 years" in it's place. At this point, he's just made a game out of it. If he only keeps Hyrule for 101 years after getting killed next time, he'll be fine with it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Found the image I was thinking of. It was 6'3 not 6'6.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Samus was always secretly hot but its only in brawl and other M does she get waif-ish and soft featured.
Heres a zero mission ending:

And a more direct compsrison

Vs

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Nov 12, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In the Super Metroid ending especially, despite being a small pixel form, you can tell the animators wanted to show that she had some muscles to her.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
And to be fair to Smash Bros, her design in Ultimate is pretty jacked. She's giving Snake a run for his money, and basically the only people more muscular than them are the Arcade Fighter Boys and Captain Falcon for some reason.

No idea who came up with the jet heels, though. I don't necessarily hate them (they do complete her whole moveset in a weird way) but I have some questions about how they got there.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
ngl, on-topic or not this stuff is creeping me out some

The decision point in Witcher 2 between Iorveth and Roche was the first time in a game where a decision really stumped me. It was probably the most consequential and difficult choice presented in a game up until that point, altering your entire trajectory and narrative from that point forward. Not only that, but it wasn't some cheap shot ONE MUST LIVE AND ONE MUST DIE moment. It's genuine moral quandary with serious merits to both sides, and you can sympathise with both characters. It helps that the voice acting for both is among the best ever in a game, which is funny because all the non-main characters in Witcher 2 are obnoxiously and jarringly Welsh and they obviously blew their voice acting budget on just a few key characters.

Honestly a seriously underrated game if only because it lives in the shadow of its successor, which is overall just an even better and more ambitious game. Even now I'm not sure any game has handled choice better than Witcher 2, but obviously it had the luxury of being a linear(ish) narrative and a lot of bigger titles these days aren't.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

and Captain Falcon for some reason.

The F-Zero games, for whatever reason, give all of their characters superhero physiques. Every single male character looks like they could bench-press a train.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Noi in Dorohedoro is built like a train made of trains who deadlifts trains and is also The Best so she gets double the points.

I like how in flashbacks she's all skinny with the implication that after failing the devil training she decided to just get jacked as gently caress.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jeza posted:

all the non-main characters in Witcher 2 are obnoxiously and jarringly Welsh and they obviously blew their voice acting budget on just a few key characters.

Excuse me you leave OOOOOODRIIIIIIIIIN and his mates alone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The F-Zero games, for whatever reason, give all of their characters superhero physiques. Every single male character looks like they could bench-press a train.

Except the fat dudes, the kid and the old guy. And the skeleton. And those fat and skinny aliens.

Though a couple of characters are literal superheroes or supervillains.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm replaying Celeste because there's a bunch of stuff I didn't do the first time, and I've got all the stuff in the first chapter so I'm trying the B-side for it. It's quite satisfying to figure out what the game needs me to do to get past each Max-difficulty combination of previously simple obstacles. It's really hard, but in a fun way.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the true version of samus is the no-nonsense shitkicker in metroid prime 1 and on this I will hear no guff

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

World War Mammories posted:

the true version of samus is the no-nonsense shitkicker in metroid prime 1 and on this I will hear no guff

Doesn't that one have no interaction or personality at all? It's been awhile since I played Prime but I'm pretty sure all she does is show up in some cutscenes?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Metroid Prime Samus is best Samus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

Doesn't that one have no interaction or personality at all? It's been awhile since I played Prime but I'm pretty sure all she does is show up in some cutscenes?

Zero dialog or NPC interactions but you can still get some sense of personality out of her animations

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Len posted:

World War Mammories posted:

Hmm, so the ideal portrayal of this female character is the one where she doesn't talk?

Curious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Prime Samus represents you, the player. Any flaws and character failings are purely on you.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

Hmm, so the ideal portrayal of this female character is the one where she doesn't talk?

Curious.

Remember how everyone lauded Doomguy's personality and writing in Doom2016? Where he doesn't talk a word

CuRiOuS~~~

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

HenryEx posted:

Remember how everyone lauded Doomguy's personality and writing in Doom2016? Where he doesn't talk a word

CuRiOuS~~~

I agree. Another clear case of misogyny in gaming

They are both powerful women and should have their voices heard.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Prime Samus is covered extensively in the terrified writings of the Space Pirates

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Cleretic posted:

No idea who came up with the jet heels, though. I don't necessarily hate them (they do complete her whole moveset in a weird way) but I have some questions about how they got there.

She's been hanging out with Bayonetta and getting ideas.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Elfface posted:

She's been hanging out with Bayonetta and getting ideas.

Now there's a dame who yaks.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I finally got around to playing Hypnospace Outlaw and I must be a 10 year old because I <3 pizza dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-KmGhjHXs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't have a ton of experience with Metroid games- I never played Samus Returns to be honest- does she ever talk or have any dialogue at all besides Fusion and Other M? Aside from Prime 3, the Metroid series is pretty cast light franchise as far as I know so she doesn't do a lot of talking to people or even her self as far as I know.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I don't have a ton of experience with Metroid games- I never played Samus Returns to be honest- does she ever talk or have any dialogue at all besides Fusion and Other M? Aside from Prime 3, the Metroid series is pretty cast light franchise as far as I know so she doesn't do a lot of talking to people or even her self as far as I know.

She has some narration in Super Metroid and Zero Mission, but it's narration so it you can't gleam much personality from it.

In Metroid Prime 1 she makes some notes on item descriptions, but again not much personality there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RareAcumen posted:

In short, no. There was going to be an intro monologue in Prime 1 (it's still in the files, voiced by Jennifer Hale), but it was replaced either by silence in the original US version, or a disembodied narrator in later releases.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Debunk This! posted:

I finally got around to playing Hypnospace Outlaw and I must be a 10 year old because I <3 pizza dance.

Hypnospace Outlaw was so good. Ending is complete rear end but the rest of the experience was amazing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Debunk This! posted:

I was tempted to link the Counselor Ronnie song (doo-doo-duty), but I'll go with a song I imagine most people playing the game listen to for less than a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwVTXrPDW0

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Retro Futurist posted:

Prime Samus is covered extensively in the terrified writings of the Space Pirates

loved the one where the space pirates are like 'we tried to replicate the morph ball and we keep crushing dudes to death :confused:'

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hypnospace Outlaw was so good. Ending is complete rear end but the rest of the experience was amazing.

it owned till it presented the loving dude's confession and game as though it mattered at all, especially after he let an innocent kid go to prison for years and be treated like a public menace gently caress that poo poo lmao

still a fun game

all the chowder man stuff is great

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kitfox88 posted:

loved the one where the space pirates are like 'we tried to replicate the morph ball and we keep crushing dudes to death :confused:'

My favorite is the mini-saga in Prime 2, where you see them freak out about 'the Hunter' well before you got there... and then again when you did get there and they have to grapple with the notion of 'oh poo poo, there's TWO of them now'.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HenryEx posted:

CuRiOuS~~~

Doomguy yells and breaks things

Samus what, gets punked by Meta Ridley in the first 15 minutes and then spends the rest of the game spinning and pointing a gun at things?

Neither is great but one has significantly more personality than the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’d play a Metroid game where every cutscene boiled down to Samus yelling and shooting whatever was in her way, becoming increasingly more visibly angry every time she has to go hunt down another loving upgrade to progress instead of just blowing the obstacle up.