Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I would really like to see SCUM getting some more single player content but I already gave up on the game at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Klaaz posted:

I would really like to see SCUM getting some more single player content but I already gave up on the game at this point.

It just has a really long development cycle due to a small dev team, but it's still getting updated regularly. They are hoping to release 0.5 by the end of the year which is implied to add some more fun stuff like fishing, boats, map expansion and some other stuff.

I'm not playing as actively as before while waiting for the bigger updates but I haven't really changed my opinion on SCUM - if they manage to add the things they are planning / showing in previews, it's going to be really, really good. But emphasis will need to be more on the survival side - and hopefully the upcoming revamp to the metabolism / medical / disease system will move the game more into that direction. Lack of single player / PVE content is definitely an issue and I'm hoping they'll "soon" get around to working missions, events and NPC's into the game and expanding the lore of the island/background more.

But yeah it's a really slow process and I can't blame people for dropping it at some point. But if you've bought the game, check it out after 0.5 rolls in, there might be something interesting and new to try out. (it still won't be nearly finished by that point, though.)

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Qubee posted:

Anyone played Project Zomboid recently and can vouch for whether it's good or not? I can't even remember the last time I played but I remember being extremely disappointed with it. I've heard there have been some updates to it recently and saw a youtube video that looked pretty good (graphics and combat seemed to have been overhauled).

I'm a little late here, but I'm playing a lot of Zomboid right now and really enjoying it.

I would highly recommend you opt into the 41 IWBUMS (I Will Back Up My Save) beta. It adds a lot of animations, models and features that aren't in the base game. It adds stuff like sneaking which is as good as it sounds like it is. The game still has an incredibly steep learning curve but I'm really enjoying it right now. On top of that, you can customize your sandbox to be as difficult or easy as you'd like. I made my zombies really dumb and deaf, and turned down the population a lot. Now that I finally have the hang of combat, crafting, cooking, etc. I feel way more comfortable jumping into a normal non-babby mode sandbox.

It's pretty fun an incredibly expansive, though the combat does take quite a while to get used to. If you ever mess up hitting zombies, turning, and sprinting away, you'll likely get your throat ripped out and ending your run immediately.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

skeleton warrior posted:

I picked it up and started playing it. I have maybe three hours into it?

It’s not bad? But it’s not a survival game like any in the thread, unless Dead Rising is a survival game. It’s really much more of a top down hack ‘n slash. Enter an area, kill some zombies with frantic clicking, then bash the objects around to get resources that you can take back to your camp to build new items and upgrades. But all blueprints are level locked, so you can’t get lock picks until level 11, and when you hit level 11, you get the recipe right away.

There’s really nothing that would make it a “survival” game - no hunger, no need to sleep, no resources you’re trying to sustain or bars to balance. Just tear down scenery to make upgrades so you can have better stuff to open new scenery to tear down. I have a bag of seeds, but nothing’s come up as a farming area or as a resource I would get for farming, and there’s no base to build yet.

Maybe I’m not far enough in to see those elements, but I’m pretty far into the second area of ten, I think. And again, it’s not a bad game, it’s fun so far, but it’s closer to Diablo and Torchlight than The Long Dark or Don’t Starve.

Hi, a dev here. You are correct in that it is not a survival game in the sense you'd expect. Internally we are speaking about it as an ARPG with survival elements as one of the larger ideas was to avoid normal survival tropes of constant thirst and hunger meters. It is meant as a more chilled out experience than survival games would usually be. The game is still technically an alpha for a while as all gameplay mechanics are not in so eg. building stuff will be in later. Glad you somewhat liked it!

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

fennesz posted:

I'm a little late here, but I'm playing a lot of Zomboid right now and really enjoying it.

I would highly recommend you opt into the 41 IWBUMS (I Will Back Up My Save) beta. It adds a lot of animations, models and features that aren't in the base game. It adds stuff like sneaking which is as good as it sounds like it is. The game still has an incredibly steep learning curve but I'm really enjoying it right now. On top of that, you can customize your sandbox to be as difficult or easy as you'd like. I made my zombies really dumb and deaf, and turned down the population a lot. Now that I finally have the hang of combat, crafting, cooking, etc. I feel way more comfortable jumping into a normal non-babby mode sandbox.

It's pretty fun an incredibly expansive, though the combat does take quite a while to get used to. If you ever mess up hitting zombies, turning, and sprinting away, you'll likely get your throat ripped out and ending your run immediately.

Thanks for that rec on switching to the beta. I am having a lot of fun with my custom chillpocalypse sandbox settings :D.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zomboid is good. Looking forward to restored mp functionality

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Heck yeah. Gonna gently caress poo poo up when multi-player makes it back in.
Dayz had a patch yesterday that makes food spoil and temperature matter a lot more. Been having a lot of fun with it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Pushy Cat posted:

Thanks for that rec on switching to the beta. I am having a lot of fun with my custom chillpocalypse sandbox settings :D.

Yeah the beta changed the game for the better for me also. I think my only complaint with the game right now is that I can't adjust sandbox settings on the fly. Now that I have a base, multiple generators, tons of crops flowing in...I want to up the zombie population by a lot.

But that's what permadeath is for I guess!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gooch181 posted:

Heck yeah. Gonna gently caress poo poo up when multi-player makes it back in.
Dayz had a patch yesterday that makes food spoil and temperature matter a lot more. Been having a lot of fun with it.
I can't believe DayZ is still a thing, let alone a thing that's still getting patches, drat.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
It's come a long way. The base standalone game is a pretty solid experience these days, and with the Expansion mod helicopters and stuff are back.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hazamuth posted:

Hi, a dev here. You are correct in that it is not a survival game in the sense you'd expect. Internally we are speaking about it as an ARPG with survival elements as one of the larger ideas was to avoid normal survival tropes of constant thirst and hunger meters. It is meant as a more chilled out experience than survival games would usually be. The game is still technically an alpha for a while as all gameplay mechanics are not in so eg. building stuff will be in later. Glad you somewhat liked it!

I'd look at your marketing again, i've had multiple friends think its a straight up survival game and then go "what the gently caress" when its turned out not to be. It's a fun game, but yeah, advertising is making people (that i know at least) get the wrong idea.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Yeah, that is something we've noticed as well after EA launch, but haven't yet had the time to address. Thanks for the suggestion.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Seconding Zomboid, I spent a long time actively avoiding it as it seemed like "just another zombie survival game" and stuck with CDDA but I just started the IWBUMS branch and it's actually really cool.

I'm looking forward to when NPCs and hunting make an appearance, but something I'd love is (and this from a game that has referenced CDDA) vehicle mods, so I can build my Mad Max roadster. I'm super glad I finally bit the bullet and gave it a go.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

How's Space Haven coming along? I remember it getting mentioned in the Rimworld thread. Though It looks way less sandbox than Rimworld (barely comparable really), but Space Haven has some great looking art.

I made a thread on it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943162

It's actually really good and has recently had a big update, but whether I recommend it depends on what you want out of it. If you're expecting Xcom-style combat (not surprising, the art style is very evocative of it and a couple people in the thread explicitly asked about it because of it) then currently you will be disappointed, but the other survivial stuff is pretty solid and it has some great emergent stuff already, like teaming up with NPC ships to destroy a pirate vessel, looting the resultant derelict and capturing and ransoming the surviving crew.

It's got a small dev team so the update cycle is lengthy but I went into it skeptical and as a pretty picky and finicky survivial conniseur, I can say it's worth a good shot if thats your thing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

PiCroft posted:

Seconding Zomboid, I spent a long time actively avoiding it as it seemed like "just another zombie survival game" and stuck with CDDA but I just started the IWBUMS branch and it's actually really cool.

I'm looking forward to when NPCs and hunting make an appearance, but something I'd love is (and this from a game that has referenced CDDA) vehicle mods, so I can build my Mad Max roadster. I'm super glad I finally bit the bullet and gave it a go.
I'm in the same boat: played and enjoyed CDDA for years and passed on Zomboid for seeming to be largely the same thing with less depth/variety and fewer systems. I'm not gonna ask for a whole essay or anything, but in short, how do they compare, do you think? What's Zomboid's strength over CDDA?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I'm in the same boat: played and enjoyed CDDA for years and passed on Zomboid for seeming to be largely the same thing with less depth/variety and fewer systems. I'm not gonna ask for a whole essay or anything, but in short, how do they compare, do you think? What's Zomboid's strength over CDDA?

While it doesn't have the late game of CDDA, what is there is a lot more tangible.

Combat is real time and more action oriented (instead of bump to attack or pressing F), plus it has actual sound, music, and graphics. Cooking, while limited, is also a little more involved instead of picking from a menu and watching time pass. Horde management is more exciting both because of the sound design, but also because the vision cone and stamina system are more important.

They're different enough that neither game has "killed" the other for me. Just try not to go in with any expectations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

CDDA notoriously doesn't really have much of a late game, so if that's the standard it doesn't really bode well.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zomboid, like all other great survival games that I love, is 100% what you make of it. There are no objectives, but your character is mostly limited by the player's boredom late game.

You can absolutely chill inside your compound and just make occasional trips out for gasoline and electronic scraps to keep your generator up and running...but wouldn't you rather burn the mall down? Or clear out an entire city? That said, I have not played CDDA.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

S w a y z e posted:

CDDA notoriously doesn't really have much of a late game, so if that's the standard it doesn't really bode well.

Raiding labs, building deathmobile, mutations, cybernetics? That's not late game to you?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Primarily the combat and sense of panic it gives - In Zomboid, if you get bitten, that's it, game over. You become a zombie and it's only amatter of time (or instant, depending on game settings). Scratches give a 25% chance to zombify you, so not only is combat extremely tense, your clothing is important as wearing a T-shirt won't offer much scratch protection. Also, guns are suicide to use unless you are far from your base and have decent aim.

This leads to some cool emergent stuff. If you sneak into a house and see a closed door, it pays to go "pssst!" to try and see if there's something on the other side. Otherwise, blindly opening doors runs the risk of having a group of zombies lunge at you.

It's disappointing in its lack of vehicle customisation and clothing customisation so perhaps not as wacky and Fallout-ey, but still worth a shot IMO.

e: Also as esquilax says, fewer mechanics but they're solid. CDDA put in place the whole bag/container inventory system and its apparently had a lot of teething problems, shall we say. Zomboid has this system already and it works just fine.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 28, 2020

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

esquilax posted:

Raiding labs, building deathmobile, mutations, cybernetics? That's not late game to you?

Midgame

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The frustrating catch 22 is that a lot of that stuff in CDDA ends up being a matter of getting these late game acquisitions and then having nothing to use it on.

A death mobile has some uses at least, but with the current balance of the game, by the time you are chromed to the nines you have killed everything at least once anyway, so who the hell cares?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I know it goes against their edgy humanity is doomed lore, but the endgame should be attacking other dimensions and closing the rifts.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Zomboid can indeed grow boring when you've got yourself somewhere safe with a supply of the things you need, although getting there is usually a notable challenge. The new stuff in Build 41 is great and I still play a game of it every few months, though the one downside tends to be that either I find enough of what I need in the first day to survive long term, or I die on the first day. Without an endgame of some kind - whatever that might look like, but NPC factions and missions would probably be the obvious route - you likely either get bored and put it down (whether temporarily or permanently) or you start setting yourself challenges (whether it's surviving with a weird character build or achieving something like clearing a town out).

CDDA definitely has more to it, but then it's built around that idea. PZ is a straight up-and-down classic zombies affair, the only questions are in customizing zeds to your liking (e.g. fast or slow, how strong and perceptive they are, etc.), whereas CDDA is very deliberately "how many different apocalypses can happen at once" territory. Upside of that is you get a lot more stuff to do. Also, CDDA has a much stronger modding situation in terms of adding gameplay stuff (PZ's got some good mods especially in maps and there are a decent number of item/weapon mods out there, but nothing equivalent to like, adding an entire magic system or whole new ecologies of enemies or the like as in CDDA).

I do agree with the goon who said that they're different enough to not be hugely comparable, I went from PZ to CDDA because I was looking for another take on zombie stuff and I ended up loving both, there are some parallels in the general ideas of surviving an apocalypse and going from half-naked dipshit to badass slaughterer of thousands, but they're pretty different in a great many ways.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

So I was in day four of my current Zomboid run, I'd barricaded the poo poo out of my house and found a decent quantity of food and was getting cocky. I broke into a house just down the street from my safehouse.

It was heavily foggy and getting dark so the atmosphere was pretty spooky already. Then, after jimmying the window and climbing inside, the burglar alarm started going off. I panicked, running aorund to grab what I could before the zombies came.

I completely underestimated the distance the sound travels and just how many it attracts. It quickly became a horde. I ran upstairs, just barely managed to block off the top of the stairs with a wardrobe before the horde followed me, and this left me with no option but to jump from the second story window on the one side of the house that wasn't yet overrun. I limped back to my safehouse and cowered, making sure the TV was off, all the lights were out. I occasionally peeked out of a window to check for safety and Christ almighty, the alarm must have been heard for miles, because they just kept coming.

they found me anyway and I was bitten

Whatever limits PZ has over CDDA, I absolutely cannot fault it for generating sheer terror.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Burglar alarms attract zombies from a few hundred tiles away, so in a residential area you will very easily amass multiple dozens and eventually a hundred or more. Same with firearms, varying with the type of firearm.

You could even use firearms to check a local area before getting lost in chopping trees or foraging or clearing one of those larger or out of the way areas (a few of the warehouses/factories are like this). Bring a pistol, stand in the parking lot, fire a shot at the building and wait a minute or two. If you're at the level of being a zombie killing powerhouse, then you clear what wanders over. If not, you figure out how to kite them away and/or fire a shot and run off to hide in the nearby forest/behind a store.

Another thing that's extremely useful are the siren equipped vehicles. They're loud too. Find one you're not going to use and if it's in a location you want to draw things away from, turn on the siren. You can get the zombies to cluster around it, dozens to hundreds. Popping out from the local forest to chuck a molotov is a great way to clear hundreds of zombies... and maybe start a massive wild and town fire but, you know, apocalypse...

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Also remember you can rip clothes and make ropes out of the fabric to safely climb down from second stories
Ive been playing Zomboid a bunch the past few days and having a blast after at least a year away from it. Apparently the remote split screen works currently, but one of the players has to use a controller, which sounds miserable.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I wrote Project Zomboid off as a failure years and years ago when they accidentally wiped all their code and had no repos. Hearing it's out in a playable state and fun is amazing news. So happy to be wrong.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

PiCroft posted:

So I was in day four of my current Zomboid run, I'd barricaded the poo poo out of my house and found a decent quantity of food and was getting cocky. I broke into a house just down the street from my safehouse.

It was heavily foggy and getting dark so the atmosphere was pretty spooky already. Then, after jimmying the window and climbing inside, the burglar alarm started going off. I panicked, running aorund to grab what I could before the zombies came.

I completely underestimated the distance the sound travels and just how many it attracts. It quickly became a horde. I ran upstairs, just barely managed to block off the top of the stairs with a wardrobe before the horde followed me, and this left me with no option but to jump from the second story window on the one side of the house that wasn't yet overrun. I limped back to my safehouse and cowered, making sure the TV was off, all the lights were out. I occasionally peeked out of a window to check for safety and Christ almighty, the alarm must have been heard for miles, because they just kept coming.

they found me anyway and I was bitten

Whatever limits PZ has over CDDA, I absolutely cannot fault it for generating sheer terror.

Yeah it's poo poo like this that keeps me coming back to Zomboid the past few weeks. I just love how things can go from 0 to 100 in the blink of an eye.

Though in terms of sound I think it goes:
Softest - running, car engines, yelling, car horns, car sirens, gunshots, shotgun blasts - Loudest

I'm currently clearing out West Point (?) on my new run and zombies just don't stop showing up when I'm training aim skill with my shotgun.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

fennesz posted:

Yeah it's poo poo like this that keeps me coming back to Zomboid the past few weeks. I just love how things can go from 0 to 100 in the blink of an eye.

Though in terms of sound I think it goes:
Softest - running, car engines, yelling, car horns, car sirens, gunshots, shotgun blasts - Loudest

I'm currently clearing out West Point (?) on my new run and zombies just don't stop showing up when I'm training aim skill with my shotgun.

You missed the helicopter event which might be the loudest, and follows you. Got caught by that one a few times.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

esquilax posted:

You missed the helicopter event which might be the loudest, and follows you. Got caught by that one a few times.

Absolutely, I didn't even think of that. It's definitely the loudest and can summon zombies literal cities away.

If you're at home base when it happens and you don't have a running vehicle :rip:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sometimes in my custom sandbox settings I set that event to, “sometimes.”

I adore Long Term Survival mod.

And I’m actually trapping stuff now! It took me almost 3 years of owning the game but I think I got the hang of trapping now, lmao. Usually was more a fisher.

Edit: and a shameless plug for Survivor Radio mod which adds voice acted stations including crazy zombie apocalypse preacher, survivor radio DJ, classical music for the dead, and monitoring the antics of the local survivor camp interacting with the local raiders

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 2, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Getting a heater in Zomboid is usually way less useful than you'd think because it's a huge dinner bell, but if you learn how to best use them and your character gets some skill in it they can turn you into a full-on L4D level zombie slaughterer. Had one character rock up to the mall with enough ammo to embarass a survivalist compound and cleared like 1000 zombies out, it fully ruled.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Yeah once you get like 3 aiming skill you suddenly become pretty proficient with the guns.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of Zomboid, are there any mods that add permanent/unbreakable (that or more easily retractable/toggle-able, perhaps) means of travelling vertically, like a metal ladder? Since I always liked setting up shop in the upstairs area of the church or fire station, etc. but having to rely on sheet ropes around the place that zombies just tear off whenever they stroll past can be a little annoying...Especially since I prefer to demolish the staircase, so that the aforementioned sheet ropes are my only means of getting upstairs :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gooch181 posted:

Also remember you can rip clothes and make ropes out of the fabric to safely climb down from second stories

This is true but also one of the things that CDDA did way better than PZ, tool qualities. In PZ you absolutely need a specific item called hammer to do this, and good luck finding a hammer in a random bedroom. In CDDA, you could use any item with a hammering quality of 1 which includes such rare items as “a rock”.

...not trying to dunk on PZ here because the game balance and (excellent) sound make it way more immersive than a turn based game could ever be.

In conclusion, zombie games are a land of contrasts.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You can make stone hammers in Zomboid with a stone, tree branch, and ripped sheets.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

I wrote Project Zomboid off as a failure years and years ago when they accidentally wiped all their code and had no repos. Hearing it's out in a playable state and fun is amazing news. So happy to be wrong.

Same here! I'm gonna try it now

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsGVzf-2I5I

Trailer for "Sons of The Forest" dropped a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Rhandhali posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsGVzf-2I5I

Trailer for "Sons of The Forest" dropped a few days ago.

Pretty excited about this one, as The Forest has been my favourite survival simulator to date. Looks like they're leaning into the weird mutant direction, which I dig.