Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1325110445162848257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
was just looking at the warning labels. it's like the twitter mods are giving everybody forums cancer

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I came here to post this tween.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Sent to the twitter gulag already.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this doesnt make any sense and im not gonna click that video

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

You should be perma'd for posting this monstrosity

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

indigi posted:

yeah nobody’s making money in China

They're making money but not getting what they want, which is control of chinese capital

It's the difference between making renting and buying

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's like the twitter mods are giving everybody forums cancer

lol

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
If one thing has become clear in 2020, it's this: Using twitter makes you dumber.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

inside you there are two wolves

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

This is a political compass

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

The cells on the floor below have pictures of pic crew avatars and actually children respectively

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's missing Marx and Engle.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Nov 9, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Philippines update: the Senate is having discussions on passing an LGBT equality bill and, well ...

https://twitter.com/Heiress15/status/1325410749057916934

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Has it already been posted here that Jack Ma's Uber-for-payday-loans Ant group was shot down by Chinese financial regulators? What would have been the largest IPO in history won't be moving forward.

Here's an article by Doctorow which I found interesting. He goes through the reasoning of the Chinese regulators and the differences between the financial sector policy in China and the US.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Greg0706/status/1325617665323438080

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Philippines update: the Senate is having discussions on passing an LGBT equality bill and, well ...

https://twitter.com/Heiress15/status/1325410749057916934

Literally called "@Heiress15". Can't make this poo poo up. Also:

???

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
a lot of fun graphics in this. north korea has definitely stepped up their developments in video production for shock labor campaigns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ6rK9gNve0

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The NYT are connoisseurs of issuing chastisements to China for violating democratic norms

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
thinkin today about the last time the usa faced an economic threat from an asiatic peril and japan got slapped down in the plaza accord and had to deal with 3 lost decades as a result.

does anyone have recomemndations for a good writeup on the japanese trade threat in the 80s, how the usa handled it and the aftermath?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Japan's "lost 3 decades" were mostly due her own making ( ill advised central bank monetary policies and such after the The Plaza Accord)

A youtuber I follow recommended a book called "Princes of the Yen" and a documentary based on it. I have not watched it myself.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mila kunis posted:

thinkin today about the last time the usa faced an economic threat from an asiatic peril and japan got slapped down in the plaza accord and had to deal with 3 lost decades as a result.

does anyone have recomemndations for a good writeup on the japanese trade threat in the 80s, how the usa handled it and the aftermath?

It's all Anglo-centric bullshit.Whatever happened in Japan (and whatever narrative the western media wants to spin is certainly not what actually happened) happened because of Japanese internal governance and primarily demography. Japan had 3 decades of stagnant growth because it came to the end of a post-war baby boom and its population shrank, just like what happened in every rich country, and barring the enactment of either more open immigration or some radical pro-feminist labor policy, it's not coming back.

White Americans vastly overestimate America's influence on other large diversified economies.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

It's all Anglo-centric bullshit.Whatever happened in Japan (and whatever narrative the western media wants to spin is certainly not what actually happened) happened because of Japanese internal governance and primarily demography. Japan had 3 decades of stagnant growth because it came to the end of a post-war baby boom and its population shrank, just like what happened in every rich country, and barring the enactment of either more open immigration or some radical pro-feminist labor policy, it's not coming back.

White Americans vastly overestimate America's influence on other large diversified economies.

pure demography alone isn't a satisfactory explanation

stephenthinkpad posted:

Japan's "lost 3 decades" were mostly due her own making ( ill advised central bank monetary policies and such after the The Plaza Accord)

A youtuber I follow recommended a book called "Princes of the Yen" and a documentary based on it. I have not watched it myself.

thanks! i'll check this out.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Throatwarbler posted:

lol come on

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Japanese yen went from 250 to 100 to the dollar between 1985 to 1995, you aren’t going to have happen without a massive bubble forming.

That is also the period when Japanese demographics start to heavily drop off.

There is plenty to say that Japan didn’t do afterwards to help their situation but the accords and their permanent effect on both the Yen and the Japanese economy are undeniable.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:27 on Nov 12, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't have the number but Japan lent out alot of "low interest rate" Yen loans to east and SEA countries before the Yen went up, so Japan wasn't exactly innocent on the raise of Yen.

I have watched some Japanese financial types discussed this subject in English. I think nobody from Japan has discussed the idea that letting the central bank have so much independence was wrong.

And 2, the raise of Yen was basically a very forced, man made transition of moving away from the manufacturing, heavily export dependent economy. It was possible for the US to move the manufacturing out of the country because US control the world financial system and the world currency. Japan doesn't control Jack. And even for the US, the negative impact of moving the manufacturing out finally caught up 3 decades later. The Germans understand this and they don't let the high value added manufacturing industry move out.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:08 on Nov 12, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Apparently they lost three decades. But people aren't hungry, there aren't homeless everywhere, they have amazing trains all across the country. Maybe losing some decades is preferable?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Apparently they lost three decades. But people aren't hungry, there aren't homeless everywhere, they have amazing trains all across the country. Maybe losing some decades is preferable?

Number did not go up :negative:

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Throatwarbler posted:

Why would the western media spin a story where the west is the bad guy? Doesn't really make sense.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Japan has poverty, homelessness, and some notable cases of people starving to death b/c they couldn't afford food

yah they have trains tho

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Nov 12, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
In case you are being serious, Japan hide their homeless people inside internet cafe cubicles, which is just the most Japanese thing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's a sizeable homeless camp around the city hall in Tokyo. It's essentially underground but it's a blue tarp and cardboard box tent camp.

EDIT:

https://apnews.com/article/d452c1190049d94af74d393222f8c31f

They were definitely some of those most well organized homeless people I've ever seen in terms of packing up their stuff.

RocknRollaAyatollah has issued a correction as of 15:26 on Nov 12, 2020

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

is that actually true? also from what i know they've also suffered from degradation of public services from liberalization, work insane long hours for poo poo pay, costs of living skyrocketing (probably why they're having demographic problems in the first place), same disease as the west

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Mr Jinping if your reading this, I'm not in Washington and I respect you, we're not all bad

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Has anyone in the past decade criticized Foxconn/Hon Hai as sort of Taiwanese colonialist exploitation of mainland Chinese labor? I've never seen that politicized angle mentioned in English media, but if you kinda squint at it it's pretty ironic, at least at the beginning of the 2010s, for a wealthy Taiwanese corporation running industrial sweatshops in the PRC to make iPhones and other electronics for American consumers.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:monocle:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1327038760798793729

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PostOpinions/status/1326563033271984129

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

States having any power at all and using it is truly shocking.