Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Not So Fast posted:

He's at worst what Bannon calls himself, a cultural nationalist, someone who wraps himself in the flag and thumps his chest. But his policies are more focused on being anti-immigrant than they are racist.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Not So Fast posted:

This is not entirely new for Greenwald and he's said similar stuff when on Tucker Carlson's show. He's a libertarian at heart, and they always hate the Democrats over the Republicans.

He's mostly right in that Trump is not a white supremacist and anyone pretending he is, is being hysterical.

He's at worst what Bannon calls himself, a cultural nationalist, someone who wraps himself in the flag and thumps his chest. But his policies are more focused on being anti-immigrant than they are racist.

Right, his totally not-racist anti-immigration policies. Strong disagreement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Feels like we don't need to spend pages proving that Trump is, in fact, a racist.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Not So Fast posted:

He's mostly right in that Trump is not a white supremacist and anyone pretending he is, is being hysterical.

Not so fast...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
He just happens to have actual minions like the proud boys and uh... the DOJ.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The KKK backs him because he’s totally not a racist.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Greenwald seems pathologically contrarian against the mainstream media narrative on everything and sometimes that leads to incredibly good reporting and him being a lone voice of sanity, and other times it’s really dumb.

I’m not sure he needs to be cast as indelibly Good or Bad. He’s a useful person to listen to sometimes.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Donald Trump is clearly and inarguably a racist, who panders to other racists and white supremacists. But I genuinely don't think the man himself is a "philosophical" or political white supremacist, if only because he doesn't care about anybody but himself. He probably couldn't articulate anything approaching a fascist theory of race, and is too stupid to be personally the architect of a racist ethnostate. But on some level he understands that the racists who support him want him to victimise people who aren't white, and so you get these half-baked (but nonetheless horrendous and dehumanising) policies like the Muslim travel ban and the border cages. Lots of people have said it before, but thank god Trump is actually an idiot. A competent fascist could have done far more damage to human rights in the last four years.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Not So Fast posted:

This is not entirely new for Greenwald and he's said similar stuff when on Tucker Carlson's show. He's a libertarian at heart, and they always hate the Democrats over the Republicans.

If he supports raising taxes on the wealthy and massive state infrastructure spending projects he's not a very good libertarian.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

imo an ideological white supremacist & somebody who supports white supremacy for personal gain are indistinguishable in effect.

Also lol@ whoever thought taxing people who WFH more is a good idea. My partner & I used to get by fine with a small desk in the guest room, we've now had to move to a house with 2 separate designated office rooms (as well as a guest room, which we still need for family reasons). Not gonna claim "poor us" here because it was actually an option for us, but maybe it isn't entirely fair to say that people who literally have to pay for their own office space should pay more because we no longer have to walk to work or make sandwiches in advance? Lots of people out there are gonna be stuck with the tiny desk in guest room/laptop on the coffee table+back pain, it is not fun & imo they should all get gigantic tax rebates so they can afford to not have to do that.

(we don't have to pay for our office space, work would actually rather we both went in, we have decided that we would prefer not to risk killing our loved ones is all)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thread from the guy who wrote the Blackadder theme (and probably some other things too) about the impact of a no deal / barely deal Brexit on touring entertainment. It's not good.

https://twitter.com/howard_goodall/status/1326554078256656389?s=21

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Friend of mine works at a council whose in-office IT equipment is all desktop Chrome boxes.

After 8 months of full time wfh the council has not managed to get a single one of these boxes out of the office and into peoples homes, so literally the entire council has been dependent on using their personal IT equipment for work the entire time.

That’s particularly good in houses where a couple both work for the council, and previously they just had one laptop or even tablet in the house.

Not sure they’d feel they are being incredibly privileged and enriched by the wfh experience.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
WAR! Never been so much fun
Go to your brother
Kill him with your gun
Leave him lying in his uniform
Dying in the sun

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Not even solidarity for a mate will get rid of Cummings https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1326687333308096512?s=19.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bobstar posted:

Thread from the guy who wrote the Blackadder theme (and probably some other things too) about the impact of a no deal / barely deal Brexit on touring entertainment. It's not good.

https://twitter.com/howard_goodall/status/1326554078256656389?s=21

TBH some of that is a bit inaccurate, in the sense that while yes, member states do control their own tax and immigration policies, they are still fairly heavily constrained in how they do so, with schengen visas in particular.

There's a legitimate argument (if one hates migrants that is) that Britain will have a lot more control over migration than it does within the EU, and I'm not talking about inter-EU migration here. One example that comes to mind is when the Dutch were fined several hundred million euros about 2 decades ago for having too strict marriage visa rules.

e: As far as tax and spending goes this is potentially a negative from a leftwing perspective, but the EU has never limited countries from accepting migrants in good faith, whether it is (charitably) due to it's supranational nature or because neoliberalistic globalisation exploiting poorer countries is up to debate.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 12, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Glenn has done more to fight fascism than anyone on the forums or in the media so lol at calling him a fash apologist

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Go to your brother
Kill him with your gun
Leave him lying in his uniform
Dying in the sun

Great game (Cannon Fodder), makes it's point in a way some autors of the video game development space can only wish they could.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jose posted:

Glenn has done more to fight fascism than anyone on the forums or in the media so lol at calling him a fash apologist

Is he the guy that went on chapo and lives in brazil or am I getting him mixed up?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Wow, trying to login to HMRC website is a Kafka-esque nightmare.

You need your Government Gateway ID, and a password. I have my Government Gateway ID, but no password.

In order to reset your password, you need to provide your email address, and they will send you a code.

I have provided my email address, and they have sent me a code. However, when I enter the code, the website tells me that there is no Government Gateway ID associated with my email address.

Not to worry - there is a link to click for when you do not have an email address associated with your account.

You are then prompted to provide your name, NI number and date of birth.

Once you have filled out these details, you are taken back to the original screen, requiring your Government Gateway ID-associated email address.

I have provided my email address, and they have sent me a code. However, when I enter the code, the website tells me that there is no Government Gateway ID associated with my email address.

Not to worry - there is a link to click for when you do not have an email address associated with your account.

Once you have filled out these details, you are taken back to the original screen, requiring your Government Gateway ID-associated email address.

There is a form you can fill out if you need help with the website.

You fill it out and click 'send'.

You get a 400 Bad Request.

welp, thanks for reading.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He lives in Brazil idk about chapo but probably because the man goes where he can get an audience

https://twitter.com/markcurtis30/status/1326823333900541952?s=19

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Private Speech posted:

TBH some of that is a bit inaccurate, in the sense that while yes, member states do control their own tax and immigration policies, they are still fairly heavily constrained in how they do so, with schengen visas in particular.

True, he is using his thread as half factual prediction of what will happen in January, and half anti-Brexit polemic, but I think these are two different things. Yes, Schengen countries have to let each others' tourists in, but each country can still demand its own visas from touring artists (who are working), or deny them altogether because they're from foreign parts and will probably abscond in our rainy island.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/nov/11/uk-news-channels-should-not-have-to-be-impartial

quote:

British television news channels should no longer be required to meet strict impartiality standards, according to one of the government’s own broadcasting advisers.

Lord Grade, the former BBC chairman who was this week appointed to a panel advising ministers on the future of public service broadcasting, said it was an “anomaly” that the UK still required news broadcasters to meet impartiality rules given the variety of opinion in other parts of the media.

“I don’t see why the Daily Mail shouldn’t have its own news channel with its point of view, or the Financial Times, or the Mirror, or the Sun, or anyone with a point of view,” he said. “It seems like an anomaly to me: do we still need licensed news providers? It’s a bit odd. That seems like a relic of a bygone patrician age.”

He told a conference organised by Freeview that there was still a place for some regulated news providers but that the direction of travel was clear: “We are moving inevitably toward relaxing the rules on impartiality.”

His comments come as two rival outlets race to launch more opinionated Fox News-style news channels in the UK, with the Andrew Neil-backed GB News competing with an unnamed effort from Rupert Murdoch’s News UK.

Can't wait for the UK to get even more dumb once Farage and Nick Ferrari start the dumbest news opinion channel ever

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

Wow, trying to login to HMRC website is a Kafka-esque nightmare.

You need your Government Gateway ID, and a password. I have my Government Gateway ID, but no password.

In order to reset your password, you need to provide your email address, and they will send you a code.

There is a form you can fill out if you need help with the website.

You fill it out and click 'send'.

You get a 400 Bad Request.

welp, thanks for reading.

I feel your pain. I did my self-assessment form back in the summer and had a similar nightmare.
In fact every time I try to do HMRC stuff online it's the same. I have more Government Gateway IDs than I know what to do with.
I use the Post Office 'verify' way in now, it seems much more reliable.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Government gateway is dreadful especially if you have multiple IDs. It’s about the only thing I break my security protocol for and have everything written down.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Borrovan posted:

Also lol@ whoever thought taxing people who WFH more is a good idea. My partner & I used to get by fine with a small desk in the guest room, we've now had to move to a house with 2 separate designated office rooms (as well as a guest room, which we still need for family reasons). Not gonna claim "poor us" here because it was actually an option for us, but maybe it isn't entirely fair to say that people who literally have to pay for their own office space should pay more because we no longer have to walk to work or make sandwiches in advance? Lots of people out there are gonna be stuck with the tiny desk in guest room/laptop on the coffee table+back pain, it is not fun & imo they should all get gigantic tax rebates so they can afford to not have to do that.

(we don't have to pay for our office space, work would actually rather we both went in, we have decided that we would prefer not to risk killing our loved ones is all)

Deutsche Bank is heavily, heavily invested in Metropolitan office real estate across the world and any sustained shift to homeworking is going to utterly destroy them so this latest wet fart is just their latest attempt to swing the conversation to home work = bad.

[e] DB are also one of the mostly grossly evil companies in existense outside of like Oil, Arms and Tobacco.

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 12, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

He might not be fash but he's got a brain problem and keeps dancing for them.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jose posted:

He's literally defended fascists so uh....

Yikes

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 12, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The real fascists are the friends he made along the way

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I just discovered the UKIP candidate for London mayor is called Peter Gammons.

How has that been allowed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

peanut- posted:

I just discovered the UKIP candidate for London mayor is called Peter Gammons.

How has that been allowed.

He changed his name, like that guy in the states who wanted to be called Hitler. Just like, really.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jedit posted:

He changed his name, like that guy in the states who wanted to be called Hitler. Just like, really.

He has a website: https://www.pgmi.org/. He's a televangelist, and has a form to leave him everything in a will.

In Brexit news, we're so very hosed:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1326670976692744192

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the fudge has arrived, and i have eaten some. it's good

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

loving Croydon Council have loving hosed it lads.

Can we make it that if you want to be considered for elected office on a labour list you have to do a 6 months on how to do governance.

Ffs.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

notaspy posted:

loving Croydon Council have loving hosed it lads.

Can we make it that if you want to be considered for elected office on a labour list you have to do a 6 months on how to do governance.

Ffs.

I'm confused as to how they managed to get over a billion pounds into debt. None of the articles about this go into any detail, they just mention a £50m hotel failure and the council having the terrible idea to build affordable houses

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Jesus, what does Glenn have to do for you to stop defending him? He just left the Intercept in a hissy fit because they wouldn’t uncritically publish Republican propaganda. And now he’s saying Trump’s not really a racist and basically saying he agrees with Steve Bannon.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Bad council chat:

Nowhere near as bad at this point as Croydon but:

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/18830191.coronavirus-hits-monmouthshire-council-investment-newport-leisure-park/

quote:

A NEWPORT leisure park bought by Monmouthshire County Council for £21 million is expected to generate around just one third of the income originally expected this year.

The county council had expected to receive £400,000 of net rental payments from Newport Leisure Park at Spytty - bought as a commercial investment - this year.

But following the impact of coronavirus, the council says the site is now expected to bring in only £135,000.

It comes as Cineworld, which has a 13-screen cinema on the site, has closed all of its cinemas across the UK until further notice.

(Monmouthshire council is tory-led).

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Continuity RCP posted:

I'm confused as to how they managed to get over a billion pounds into debt. None of the articles about this go into any detail, they just mention a £50m hotel failure and the council having the terrible idea to build affordable houses

My (very Tory) council is heavily in debt as well, it's kind of what happens when your housing and development policy is to give plenty of 'loans' to 'developers'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Jesus, what does Glenn have to do for you to stop defending him? He just left the Intercept in a hissy fit because they wouldn’t uncritically publish Republican propaganda. And now he’s saying Trump’s not really a racist and basically saying he agrees with Steve Bannon.

Didn't know you were so pro bolsonaro

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Convex posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/nov/11/uk-news-channels-should-not-have-to-be-impartial

Can't wait for the UK to get even more dumb once Farage and Nick Ferrari start the dumbest news opinion channel ever

New Goon project, UKMT 24 Hour Rolling News channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Didn't know you were so pro bolsonaro

Glenn would be too if he didn’t live there.