Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Verisimilidude posted:

it astounds me that people will spend this much effort making something awesome but then not spend the extra 20 minutes to clean mold lines and drill gun barrels

I don't really care about gun barrels because I hate using my hand drill unless I have to and at a glance a dot of black surrounded by the color of the barrel is at least functional. But man do I loving hate mold lines. I buy a lot of models used and no one ever bothers to clean these. I have a friend who is a legit pro painter and the models he sends to people still have obvious mold lines on them. His clients don't seem to be discerning enough to notice. They just want a painted army for the table I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

My joke! My loving joke!!

*breaks down sobbing*

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't really care about gun barrels because I hate using my hand drill unless I have to and at a glance a dot of black surrounded by the color of the barrel is at least functional. But man do I loving hate mold lines. I buy a lot of models used and no one ever bothers to clean these. I have a friend who is a legit pro painter and the models he sends to people still have obvious mold lines on them. His clients don't seem to be discerning enough to notice. They just want a painted army for the table I guess.

I am a fairly thorough mold-line remover and while I'd never skip it, I am consistently amazed just how much time it takes up. Sure, for a single infantry model or a squad, it's not too bad. But especially when plastic kits are increasingly complex and come in a huge number of parts (I normally complete scraping mold lines before assembly) it just feels like forever.

Scraping all the terrain in a Dark Uprising box is just soul-destroying. I've started a Gang Stronghold box now and I feel like I've barely got the strength to carry on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Print 4, 5, and 6 came out the printer. My friends are still convinced they're going to play 40k

I think the supports should have been removed before curing?

Pictured: a dragonborn paladin, a banana knight, Cloud Strife

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Yeah, remove the supports before curing. They're easy to clean up while the resin's still soft and a total pain in the rear end afterwards.

Cloud's print failed immediately which suggests the build plate was slightly miscalibrated. It was probably a little bit too far away from the screen on one side or the other, which means the plate probably wasn't entirely level. Either that, or the grooves in the build plate aren't quite deep enough for the first resin layers to 'stick' to.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 12, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I always remove all the mold lines before painting. Then I undercoat and find that I in fact only removed about half the loving things, and the gaps I thought were imperceptible are in fact gulfs the size of the grand canyon.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Len posted:

Print 4, 5, and 6 came out the printer. My friends are still convinced they're going to play 40k

I think the supports should have been removed before curing?

Pictured: a dragonborn paladin, a banana knight, Cloud Strife

I don't even own a resin printer and I know you take the supports off before curing.

What a bunch of jabronis.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Crackbone posted:

I don't even own a resin printer and I know you take the supports off before curing.

What a bunch of jabronis.

That's what we told the guy who ran those prints for us last night but he was convinced you cut them after

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So why are they doing this time consuming expensive task instead of just proxying up a few armies to get a feel for the rules?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kwyndig posted:

So why are they doing this time consuming expensive task instead of just proxying up a few armies to get a feel for the rules?

Because "I don't want to just push bases"

I'm the only one of us that's played 40k and while it was a decade ago I'm good? It mechanically wasn't that great and the fluff has nothing to do with the generic figures you're printing from thingiverse.

I'm on this solely to print goofy poo poo like that banana knight. Or a hydra with danny devito heads.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

SiKboy posted:

I always remove all the mold lines before painting. Then I undercoat and find that I in fact only removed about half the loving things, and the gaps I thought were imperceptible are in fact gulfs the size of the grand canyon.

This. I can spend hours cleaning up a batch of minis then discover a bunch more lines after priming.

On other news, this guy is either picking up the pace or is spending more on Facebook ads.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ugleb posted:

This. I can spend hours cleaning up a batch of minis then discover a bunch more lines after priming.

On other news, this guy is either picking up the pace or is spending more on Facebook ads.

https://youtu.be/n-BmKFgJJog

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ugleb posted:

What are the blue dots covering?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

What are the blue dots covering?

Nothing apparently. May just be an artistic photo choice.

If you want to see for yourself, kinda :nws:https://kingdomdeath.fandom.com/wiki/Easter_Aya

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Genghis Cohen posted:

I am a fairly thorough mold-line remover and while I'd never skip it, I am consistently amazed just how much time it takes up. Sure, for a single infantry model or a squad, it's not too bad. But especially when plastic kits are increasingly complex and come in a huge number of parts (I normally complete scraping mold lines before assembly) it just feels like forever.

Scraping all the terrain in a Dark Uprising box is just soul-destroying. I've started a Gang Stronghold box now and I feel like I've barely got the strength to carry on.

I haven't tried it myself, but apparently there's a clever trick to simplify the process. Back when I was assembling skeletons, I was running into the problem of infinite mold lines because for whatever dumb reason, skeleton sprues are broken down by individual loving bones and they're all covered in mold lines. Finding them all takes loving ages and you risk breaking the plastic in the process since the pieces are so thin. While complaining, a guy suggested just brushing on plastic glue and it will affectively "melt" the mold line. Again, no idea if it works, but it might be worth experimenting.

SiKboy posted:

This. loving this.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Imagine having that much skill and using it to paint anime fuckdolls. Like being an incredible artist and only drawing anime portraits, or a prolific engineer who only designs buildings to house anime, or a world renowned chef who only cooks anime. It's heartbreaking.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Imagine having that much skill and using it to paint anime fuckdolls. Like being an incredible artist and only drawing anime portraits, or a prolific engineer who only designs buildings to house anime, or a world renowned chef who only cooks anime. It's heartbreaking.

They're the only patrons of the arts left. Can't paint on an empty stomach.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

yeah, there's a reason so many talented artists spend all their time drawing people's ocs loving and sucking

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but apparently there's a clever trick to simplify the process. Back when I was assembling skeletons, I was running into the problem of infinite mold lines because for whatever dumb reason, skeleton sprues are broken down by individual loving bones and they're all covered in mold lines. Finding them all takes loving ages and you risk breaking the plastic in the process since the pieces are so thin. While complaining, a guy suggested just brushing on plastic glue and it will affectively "melt" the mold line. Again, no idea if it works, but it might be worth experimenting.

This can work if the moldline is small enough, but I wouldn't do it if the line goes over any detail. And of course it doesn't work on PVC, resin, or metal.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The Moon Monster posted:

This can work if the moldline is small enough, but I wouldn't do it if the line goes over any detail. And of course it doesn't work on PVC, resin, or metal.

Naturally, but on 200 femurs, it might be worth it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Moon Monster posted:

This can work if the moldline is small enough, but I wouldn't do it if the line goes over any detail.

They're skeletons. If you accidentally mess up some details, just make it look like broken bones, or glob on some dirt/dried flesh or something :zombie:

Or go high-effort and sculpt on some torn and tattered clothes. Even something quick with tissue paper and PVA glue could look appropriate.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 13, 2020

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Naturally, but on 200 femurs, it might be worth it.

Honestly I think just scraping them with the back of a knife or whatever would probably be quicker and easier, you wouldn't have to worry about waiting for the glue to evaporate and the plastic to harden back up for one thing. When I've done the melt a mold line with plastic glue approach it generally took multiple passes to fully get rid of it. Give it a try, though.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

this is what this thread is for

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
it is heresy my dudes

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

It no joke took me a minute to even register how terrible the paintjob of the guy riding the frog is, because I was taken in by the beauty of putting the Wednesday Frog on tabletop

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Midjack posted:

Nothing apparently. May just be an artistic photo choice.

If you want to see for yourself, kinda :nws:https://kingdomdeath.fandom.com/wiki/Easter_Aya

$60.....

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I woke up to this in our 3d printer channel

Dudes really doubling down on the bad ideas

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It’s always Wednesday somewhere

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Len posted:

I woke up to this in our 3d printer channel

Dudes really doubling down on the bad ideas

FDM printers can do terrain no problem

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moola posted:

FDM printers can do terrain no problem

Yeah but so can I and I enjoy making terrain

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
you should duel the printer and see who makes the best terrain piece

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moola posted:

I will duel this hypothetical printer. Pretty sure all I have to do is bump the table and I win

Nerd rear end printer

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Moola posted:

Now the man that invented the printer
Thought he was mighty fine
But the Goon made fifteen hills
The printer only made nine, Lord, Lord
The printer only made nine

The Goon chiseled out the mountains
His hot wire was striking fire
But he worked so hard, he broke his poor heart
He laid down his hot wire and he died, Lord, Lord
He laid down his hot wire and he died

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Len posted:

I will duel this hypothetical printer. Pretty sure all I have to do is bump the table and I win

Nerd rear end printer

You make sixteen hills and what do you get?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I will tell my child the folktales of Len Henry, the Terrain Driving Man.

My Daughters Juice is already a story time favorite.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Some Goon posted:

They're the only patrons of the arts left. Can't paint on an empty stomach.

It's not just anime people, don't worry, comrade, it's furries, too! :haw:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Moola posted:

Measure the print bed, then make a hill exactly 1" larger.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pretty sick paintjob, but when I look at it I can't help but see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Measure the print bed, then make a hill exactly 1" larger.

somewhere a 3d printer is crying