Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They had to trick Todd Howard into making Morrowind interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

The game was originally set in the Summerset Isles. And then we got bored and decided, “Man, this is really boring. How about we put it in a volcano with like giant bugs everywhere?” And people were like, “What?” So Todd Howard — the easiest way to get anything past Todd, at that time, was you basically just had to say “Star Wars.” Which was true for me and anybody then. So I was like, “The game should be like Dark Crystal meets Star Wars.” And he was immediately hooked. I got all the bug creatures I ever needed, we moved it from Summerset Isles to this weird dark-elf place on the map, and we just went from there.

quote:

I used to have this thing with Todd, because he was one of the ones that’s like, “Let’s not make it too weird.” So I’d bamboozle him. There was a period where I would actually draw two different versions of a monster — the one that was weird and that I wanted to be in the game, and then one that was loving crazy. And so I’d go to Todd, and I’m like, “OK, I think I’ve got the mid-level creature set.” And I’d show him a picture. He’d be like, “Nah, dude, that’s crazy.” Then I’d go back to my office and I would act like I was drawing something new, and I’d just come back with the original drawing of what I really wanted to be in there. Like, “Hey, is this what you were thinking?” And he’d be all, “Oh, yeah, that’s much better. That’s great.”

quote:

Everyone loved a good RPG. Everyone loved Fallout. I played a lot of the Icewind Dale and Baldur’s Gate stuff. Todd was always playing racing games and sports games; if there was a football game, he was playing it.

mbt fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 11, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I both love and hate these :allears:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly what might be funny assuming that A: the canon civil war ending is stalemate and B: The emperor is assassinated by the dark brotherhood is for a relatively untouched and ambitious high rock to just swoop in and bend the empire to its will forming either a more decentralized empire or a breton dominated one.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The only thing worse than the Empire or the Thalmor is the French.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

That's hysterical
^
Edit: imagine if you will a vertically challenged legion siege engineer simply deciding that enough is enough and marching up to the weak elder council and abolishing it at the point of a *checks notes* crossbow. Seems simple enough to me.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 12, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I just completely ignored the civil war on my otherwise thorough playthrough and it didn't feel like I missed anything.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyways my preference for next game is hammerfell with maybe a side trip to the summerset isles or valenwood.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Lawman 0 posted:

Honestly what might be funny assuming that A: the canon civil war ending is stalemate and B: The emperor is assassinated by the dark brotherhood is for a relatively untouched and ambitious high rock to just swoop in and bend the empire to its will forming either a more decentralized empire or a breton dominated one.

this but wrothgar please

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

any place that isn't human centered please

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I dig the single city state and surrounding countryside idea someone had earlier

High rock makes the most sense in that scenario, but valenwood would also be cool because the city could move at some point

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If I could wish it would be Hammerfell with a smattering of High Rock.

Hammerfell itself would offer a lot of dry, rocky, desert terrain, but open options for oasis biomes, and a variety of regions near the other borders. It's also a hot-bed if the next game continues with the Thalmor occupations. We'd get more dwemer because they were in the region, and Redguards are cool as hell and we can get into Yokudan history.

Adding a bit of High Rock would open up a greener, highlands region, with a taste of the feudal adventurer culture. Throw in the Wrothgarian region and we get get some Orsimar action, and I dig Orcs.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I also wouldn't mind Summerset isle (even if just a side trip in DLC). I feel like Summerset isle has strong Japan vibes for some reason. I want to sit in an onsen with high elves, and slaughter Thalmor by the droves afterwards.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

I also wouldn't mind Summerset isle (even if just a side trip in DLC). I feel like Summerset isle has strong Japan vibes for some reason. I want to sit in an onsen with high elves, and slaughter Thalmor by the droves afterwards.

Imo a trip to like Firsthold to disrupt some Thalmor bullshit would be excellent.
edit: man I forgot how goddamn long hammerfell was.
edit 2: Honestly if you wanted to be edgy you could show the summerset isles being a paradise to live in but with an Omelas style twist to how they keep it that way.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 12, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some Goon posted:

I just completely ignored the civil war on my otherwise thorough playthrough and it didn't feel like I missed anything.
You get to chop the head of Ulfric Fashcloak. :toot:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Poil posted:

You get to chop the head of Ulfric Fashcloak. :toot:

Not that I like the stormcloaks, but the imperials were going to cut my head off, even after realizing I wasn't supposed to be there; like, I didn't have a reason to back either side. Add on top that a civil war is boring when I could be dealing with daedera, and why bother?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Some Goon posted:

Not that I like the stormcloaks, but the imperials were going to cut my head off, even after realizing I wasn't supposed to be there; like, I didn't have a reason to back either side. Add on top that a civil war is boring when I could be dealing with daedera, and why bother?

Yeah, I ignored it entirely. My character had no reason to trust or help either when the dragon apocalypse is happening

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Deltasquid posted:

Yokuda and Akavir are both obviously Japan-inspired but they emphasize different aspects, making them not feel related to each other in-universe. I think that's super cool. I'm not sure you could do that with 3 cultures at the same time, so I'm not keen on the Altmer also showing Japanese culture.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm willing to guess that the Civil War's canonical ending is going to be that the next Emperor literally throws the White-Gold Concordat in the trash and re-legalizes Talos worship, and makes amends with the Nords, and they stay in the Empire.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I bet they'll do some nonsense like set it concurrently with Skyrim, or even before so they don't have to change anything

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think the civil war would end that way. Ulfric's goal isn't to reinstate Talos worship, which is still practiced widely across Skyrim despite the legality of it; it's to become High King of Skyrim.

The war's going to end when either he's King and the Empire concedes, or he dies and the rebellion can be quelled.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

My money is Bethesda moves the timeline ahead by three to four hundred years and the plot of Skyrim is only mentioned in a couple books.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
They should just do another Dragonbreak and have "independent Skyrim under Ulfric" and "Skyrim fully under control of resurgent Empire" exist simultaneously as two separate political entities interacting with rest of Tamriel. :colbert:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

They should just do another Dragonbreak and have "independent Skyrim under Ulfric" and "Skyrim fully under control of resurgent Empire" exist simultaneously as two separate political entities interacting with rest of Tamriel. :colbert:

I never really understood how that worked for high rock. Like the empire receive multiple tax payments from the province?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Lt. Lizard posted:

I would love for the independent city state of Windhelm to show up as a nigh-irrelevant political footnote in TES6

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Nina posted:

I would love for the independent city state of Windhelm to show up as a nigh-irrelevant political footnote in TES6

The independent Dunmer city state of Windhelm.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Tiny baby Skyrim sandwiched by the Morrowind-annexed Rift and the new province of Reach would be highly funny and therefore the best

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They've got a lot of room to play with the state of the Empire in TES6 even if it's set right after Skyrim, between the civil war and also the emperor being assassinated around the same time.

Which was still one of my favourite Skyrim moments. The emperor recognised my assassin character, accepted his death and turned away to die with dignity. Then got killed by german suplex as I was playing an unarmed catman.

But yeah between those things it might well have the Empire effectively dead and the Dominion ascendant, with Hammerfell holding out against their conquest or some such.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Thalmor prisoner turned secret agent undermining an independence movement would be a neat, completely original idea that I would love to see.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

gently caress it, I'm saying it. Kirkbride huffs his own farts so hard he's managed to do nothing other than write Elder Scrolls fanfiction for the rest of his life.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I just want Hammerfell. I want to have a gimmick player character superpower spirit lightsabers and hang out with pirate jedi.

Redguards are awesome.

Meridian posted:

gently caress it, I'm saying it. Kirkbride huffs his own farts so hard he's managed to do nothing other than write Elder Scrolls fanfiction for the rest of his life.

Come on cut the man some slack he also wrote... Minecraft Story Mode Season 2 I guess

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Nina posted:

I just want Hammerfell. I want to have a gimmick player character superpower spirit lightsabers and hang out with pirate jedi.

Redguards are awesome.

Come on cut the man some slack he also wrote... Minecraft Story Mode Season 2 I guess

As with that game, is only credited as "additional writer" for all the Scrolls games.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Meridian posted:

yeah but on the other hand there was no good new lore until like, clockwork city came out

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Speaking of Online and lore boy am I glad to go through the Elsweyr content. It's just a trove of good lore about khajiiti culture, dragons, and some wacky poo poo like bringing up the cats-dragons perspective that was always just reading between the lines conjecture from Mysterious Akavir. It also makes me realize just how bad the series has been regarding the way it portrays some of the races. Skyrim is the biggest culprit with its one dimensional khajiiti and orcs.

I hope online tackles Black Marsh at large soon.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ugh I really need to play ESO

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

If you've got the Elsweyr DLC and choose to be a khajiit, you'll automatically start there rather than in Coldharbour, like you did in the old days.

I don't know about the other racial starts, as I've only got my Khajiit character.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You start in whatever the latest expansion starting area is. All my characters start in morrowind these days. Not sure if you can choose which one to start it although that would be great. Why would you ever not step off the boat in scyda neen?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Wasn't Seyda Neen canonically a very recent settlement? Like I remember something about it only having been around for like twelve years by the time the Nerevarine steps off the boat.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ThaumPenguin posted:

Wasn't Seyda Neen canonically a very recent settlement? Like I remember something about it only having been around for like twelve years by the time the Nerevarine steps off the boat.

If you take ESO as canon then no, Seyda Neen exists in the 2E, well before the 3E Nerevarine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ulmont posted:

If you take ESO as canon

I do not