Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Tbh the thing that ends up fixing the issue will always be the last thing you tried to fix the issue.
Someone doesn't work on distributed systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I found a new variant of Slack weirdo in the wild today. The kind that emphasizes words with backticks so they look like code. Sigh.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

embrace the ticks

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Going to start surrounding all my posts with [fixed] now, thanks for the idea!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

Going to start surrounding all my posts with [fixed] now, thanks for the idea!

honestly that is a pretty smart move and will make sure you don't miss any important information

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

smackfu posted:

I found a new variant of Slack weirdo in the wild today. The kind that emphasizes words with backticks so they look like code. Sigh.

That's common on Stack Overflow as well.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

thats not what people mean when they say your posting needs to be fixed

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Inacio posted:

honestly that is a pretty smart move and will make sure you don't miss any important information

This just reminds me of the Buzzfeed style "they used coding and algorithms to solve the problem" type of emphasis.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Uh oh. I use backticks for variable names, file names, referring to identifiers in our data, etc. Is that bad somehow?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I use it to indicate code or urls or anything else that I pasted or intend to have copied and pasted or searched, :thunk:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Those are perfectly fine uses. Using it for emphasis instead of bold or italics is dumb.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They should have made it easier to type *

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
They should just support in-line LaTeX.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Really pointless Slack anxiety: when someone responds to a post with “:thumbs-up::skin-tone-4” and I also want to give a thumbs up, but I’m not that skin tone so I don’t know whether to click it or put a different coloured thumbs up

e: to be clear, the anxiety is around wanting to be inclusive and appropriate, not because of a weird obsession with my skin tone

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 10, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Really pointless Slack anxiety: when someone responds to a post with “:thumbs-up::skin-tone-4” and I also want to give a thumbs up, but I’m not that skin tone so I don’t know whether to click it or put a different coloured thumbs up

e: to be clear, the anxiety is around wanting to be inclusive and appropriate, not because of a weird obsession with my skin tone

just use the yellow one

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
My company: we should embrace comprehensive UI automation against QA services as a prerequisite for releasing anything
Also my company: nothing ever works in QA

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

There's a guy who I still think of as black even after finding out he's white because he used the black thumbs up.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I got stressed just reading this

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Bingo Bango posted:

I got stressed just reading this

:same:

Luckily everyone at my office just uses the default yellow ones.

At my previous job a former coworker would use the one that rotates between all the skin tones, so I guess that works too.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Click it, taking time to find a differently-colored one is weird

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
We all just the click first one. I think it would be weird to add your own.

I keep mine yellow because as a white guy it feels weird actively selecting the white skin tone with what is floating around our there.

We have a guy who uses rainbow thumb but it's kind of "his thing".

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I assume anyone who uses the white skin tone emoji voted for trump.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Just lol if you ain't got this bad boy in your workspace and you don't react to anything and everything with it

Might as well start updating your LinkedIn

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My company just said I can WFH even after Covid is over. Hurray

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My previous job also had :foffzie:, which was :fonzie: upside-down, for when something bad happened

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

good jovi posted:

:thunk:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Just lol if you ain't got this bad boy in your workspace and you don't react to anything and everything with it

Might as well start updating your LinkedIn

I'm lazy, could you link the image so I can add it to my work slack?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

good jovi posted:

i hate to admit it but i do sometimes get that vibe even if i know it's wrong.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
To all of the above posters who are allowed to use Slack and not being forced to use Microsoft Teams: I hate you.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

But when will I be able to bulk import the SA emoticons?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The NPC posted:

But when will I be able to bulk import the SA emoticons?

Can't wait to react to a message with :shrek: or :redass:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
In the past I've been very content with being able to use ":smug:"

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

kitten emergency posted:

what’s the half you can’t recommend? (I’m one of the authors)

Well, while I haven't had a chance to finish the book to get a better impression of the whole thing my puppy apparently loved it. She really sank her teeth into while I was out on a run.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sagacity posted:

In the past I've been very content with being able to use ":smug:"

My jira avatar is :shepface:

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Protocol7 posted:

Can't wait to react to a message with :shrek: or :redass:

At my previous job I imported :shrek: into Slack for the express purpose of representing our antiquated in-house customer & order management system that nobody liked writing code for.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I think I've finally hit the last straw with the company that bought us out. It's frustrating, because I can't point to any single big thing that's like "this is bad and you shouldn't work here" but drat if their "we're trying to become more modern" facade doesn't slip and reveal the cold dark enterprise machinery at their heart more often than not.

Like, I get that you're a publicly traded company and you have targets to meet and shareholders to keep happy but drat there is literally zero excuse in TYOOL 2020 for your performance reviews (especially under COVID) to be phrased in the format of "what value did you bring to the company this year // how will you bring more value to the company next year // you are literally an expendable resource to us". I know that's what they're thinking, but at least make the words sound more like you value us as people, christ.

Hell, they just announced a pandemic relief initiative that includes the last friday of every month off (cool) and then explicitly stated that workloads will not change to reflect this (wtf).

P sure working for a startup has ruined me forever for enterprise jobs

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

ChickenWing posted:

Hell, they just announced a pandemic relief initiative that includes the last friday of every month off (cool) and then explicitly stated that workloads will not change to reflect this (wtf).

Admitting that you just want butts in the seat and not productivity is very progressive for a corporation tho

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
never work for a company with more than 15 people and never work for a company where you don't have daily interaction with the owner/CEO imo.

edit: never work for a company where the top-level person makes more than like 1.5-2x what you make

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

prom candy posted:

never work for a company with more than 15 people and never work for a company where you don't have daily interaction with the owner/CEO imo.

edit: never work for a company where the top-level person makes more than like 1.5-2x what you make

I've worked only in mid size and large companies. Always been curious about working for small operations. Seems nice to personally know everyone and have a clear mission. I also hear a lot of horror stories too though. Seems like comp is also often not as good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've got a unique working arrangement where it's basically me, my boss, one QA engineer and another guy who does a lot of marketing/graphic design kind of stuff. It definitely has its ups and downs, I vastly prefer it to working for a soulless megacorp like Accenture.