Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
rip project soli. you were entirely pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

sleepwalkers posted:

people lost their mind over the notch. i would say “a multitude of assorted software and hardware issues” but that’s par for the course wrt google hardware so.

that was the 3XL which was stupid and garbage

the pixel 3 was both cool and good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

where is this copied from? it has some sentences lifted directly from the ars article

the ars review as far as i can tell, it's just selected paragraphs from the review

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The Management posted:

where is this copied from? it has some sentences lifted directly from the ars article

yeah it's just the ars review

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
weird, I read that review and I’m pretty sure I didn’t see most of that. android, lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
this is the correct takeaway

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
project soli seems to have disappeared like a fart in the wind

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

it was a spectacularly stupid idea that appeared to have been cribbed directly from a joke in hitch hikers guide to the galaxy, that was itself mocking stupid user interface designs

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I need to compare a soli sensor to an xbox kinect to see which one can more accurately gauge my heartrate by scanning my ballsack

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I need to compare a soli sensor to an xbox kinect to see which one can more accurately gauge my heartrate by scanning my ballsack

dont forget to throw iphone pro 12 lidar into the comparison as well

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jenny Agutter posted:

dont forget to throw iphone pro 12 lidar into the comparison as well

laser my balls timb

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol oh man that pixel 5 review is dire.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

laser my balls timb

you get him cash money?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

is android good or bad yet

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it’s bad op

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
it’s still in the box, don’t collapse the waveform

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

was just used on a google product introduced this month op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

was just used on a google product introduced this month op

there was a Google product introduced this month?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

i think there was a phone that was materially worse in every way than the phone they released three years ago

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

i think there was a phone that was materially worse in every way than the phone they released three years ago

I need to get a job at Google. I am really good at making products that are worse than the previous version.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the new phones dont have soli (which is good)

The Management posted:

google nest a "smart" thermostat

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-unveils-the-new-nest-thermostat-with-a-soli-presence-sensor-for-129/ posted:

Google has also included Soli radar technology, which will allow the thermostat to detect when you’re standing in front of it. There are no gesture-based controls, however, like previous rumors speculated. That’s strange considering the previously-touted uses of the technology and the fact that a simple passive infrared sensor could have done the job for presence sensing. It’s possible we’ll see a firmware update add support for gesture controls, though we can only speculate at this point.

To reduce costs, some of the software has been pared-down. Google said the new Nest Thermostat doesn’t have a learning function, so temperatures will need to be set manually when you’re home and away. It does, however, offer scheduling and will proactively suggest small optimizations to help you save energy in your home.

lets jam in new tech half-baked then remove already existing features to reduce the cost!

crepeface fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 12, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol

quote:

Hey everyone,

We're currently experiencing issues with playback across all YouTube services – this means that some of you may have trouble watching videos or listening to music on YouTube, YouTube TV, YouTube Music & YouTube Kids right now. The issue began today on Nov 11 at 4:08 PM PST.

Our team is aware of the issue and are working to fix this. We appreciate your patience in the mean time!

We'll circle back with updates here when we have them.

– Hazel (TeamYouTube)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

crepeface posted:

lets jam in new tech half-baked then remove already existing features to reduce the cost!

what? that is so stupid, how is this real?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

google: what? that is so stupid, how is this real?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

Starting June 1, 2021, all new photos and videos backed up in High quality will count toward the free 15 GB of storage that comes with your Google Account or any additional storage you may have purchased, the same way other Google services like Google Drive and Gmail already do.

translation: we have all the visual training data we need for AI so we're going to start charging you now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
since wonder twins Larry and Sergei went AWOL the adults are trying to grab the reigns at google. their cfo is starting to impose some financial controls on the ludicrous spending, and that means telling products they need to start making money or gtfo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

lmty they should charge more for the version without the learning function

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

The Management posted:

since wonder twins Larry and Sergei went AWOL the adults are trying to grab the reigns at google. their cfo is starting to impose some financial controls on the ludicrous spending, and that means telling products they need to start making money or gtfo.

I wonder how much is "you have to make your own money now. You can't just rely on ad income given increases in privacy and a potential breakup from an antitrust suit"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

crepeface posted:

wasn't the whole point of the nest thing to be "learning" (even though nobody loving constantly fucks with the thermostat constantly)

like what differentiates the new one from one of the other fifty billion "smart" thermostats

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Zamujasa posted:

wasn't the whole point of the nest thing to be "learning" (even though nobody loving constantly fucks with the thermostat constantly)

like what differentiates the new one from one of the other fifty billion "smart" thermostats

theoretically i think they were like "when you go to work your house will automatically reduce its energy use by making it very uncomfortable to be in vis-à-vis the outdoor temperature" but a) nobody really cares b) you can set that literally once in any modern smart or dumb thermostat and c) lol nobodys going anywhere for a while so wtfever

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i actually have a nest thermostat (:suicide:) but i turned all the smart poo poo off so i don't know how any of it worked, other than badly enough that i had to turn it off

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a thermostat designed like a big temperature adjustment dial whose primary feature is that it sets the temperature for you automatically. Google.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

a thermostat designed like a big temperature adjustment dial whose primary feature is that it sets the temperature for you automatically. Google.

Bimetallic thermostats are legit :aaaaa:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

to this day i have no loving idea what a nest does better than any other programmable thermostat, and the "learning" claims never made sense. i'll just program the goddamn thing to turn on when i'm home and off when i'm at work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my parents got one and said they saved about 10% on their power bill the first year, so i guess it works well enough doing the learning thing i guess?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

clever poo poo it can do:

keeps running the fan for a few minutes after the AC compressor stops to get the last of the cold out of the heat exchanger instead of leaving it sitting in the mechanical room
can do offset if you installed it somewhere that gets direct sun and its loving the setpoint up
does the smartgrid load shedding thing if your utility company is having problems with electric or gas supply
can run the AC to hold a target RH% instead of temp if thats a problem where you live
shuts off the blower if the fire/co alarm is going off so you don't blow that poo poo everywhere
alerts you if the temp drops below the safe minimum

none of it is earth shattering but a ton of people are lazy as poo poo and never program their thermostat so it just sits at 70 24/7 and this does the programming itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
also lets you just tell it to run the fan every so often without the a/c part, which is useful for places that have poo poo circulation or if you want to clog your filter with dust after a week